Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

SXSW Interview: TQ Jefferson on the Future of Marvel Gaming

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This weekend is the SXSW Interactive show. Marvel is attending and has some big announcements planned.

If you're into gaming, there's some good news coming your way. Besides even more Marvel characters headed to Marvel: Avengers Alliance, there's also a game coming based on Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

We had a chance to ask TQ Jefferson, Vice President of Games Production, some questions about what we can look forward to.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What can you tell us about the upcoming Captain America: Winter Soldier game?

TQ JEFFERSON:Captain America: The Winter Soldier official game is being developed and published by our long-time partner Gameloft. The game puts Cap, Black Widow, Falcon, Nick Fury and more in an original story -co-written with Marvel writer Christos Gage- that puts our star-spangled hero in a collision course with the mysterious and dangerous Winter Soldier. The mystery however, doesn’t stop with the Winter Soldier, and players will discover that Cap’s become embroiled in a conflict so large he can barely fathom it.

CV: Will the story strictly follow the events of the movie or will other opportunities and scenarios develop?

JEFFERSON: Got ahead of myself and already answered this one. The game has a story that completely independent of the film; bringing in familiar elements (Cap and cast, SHIELD, etc.) but bringing players through a crisis that touches upon and ties into the larger narrative of the Marvel Gaming Universe; which has its own continuity separate from film, television, or publishing.

CV: How will the gameplay compare to Marvel: Avengers Alliance?

JEFFERSON: We’ll be revealing more details on the game shortly, but I can say that the gameplay will be very different; more real-time where Alliance is turn-based; and requiring players to explore, fight, and manage their resources in an entirely different way. As we get closer to launch, expect to hear more about all the different features in the game, and ways for Cap to throw his mighty shield.

CV: It was announced that characters from the movie such as Cap, Falcon, Winter Soldier and Batroc will appear. Can we expect to see characters that don't appear in the movie?

JEFFERSON: It’s a certainty. Since this is an original game that’s not seeking to tell the story of the film we have the liberty of bringing in elements that service our story, and help to link this game to the larger narrative of the Marvel Gaming Universe. We’re going to see a number of classic Cap villains share the stage with The Winter Soldier. Look for more information very soon!

No Caption Provided

CV: What can you tell us about the addition of the Guardians of the Galaxy in Avengers Alliance?

JEFFERSON: That it’s going to be epic. Seriously, we have been holding back on bringing Avengers Alliance to space because we knew –even two years ago- that the Guardians were coming. The introduction of Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket Raccoon will usher in a new chapter in the Avengers Alliance story. S#!t just got cosmic. You’re welcome.

No Caption Provided

CV: Anything else we can look forward to?

JEFFERSON: As we continue to tell the story that started in Avengers Alliance and continues in other games like Avengers Initiative, Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign, Marvel War of Heroes, Iron Man 3 and now Captain America: The Winter Soldier it’s exciting to think that these games are all in the same continuity, and that they are all building toward something. The best is still yet to come!

This all sounds great!

Stay tuned for more news from Marvel at SXSW this weekend!

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Overlander

Great to see some Marvel: Avengers Alliance coverage on the best Comic Site on the Internet!

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 0

Well I was expecting Cap and GotG stuff to come to the game. Kinda weird that the GotG stuff is really close to the comics but Cap is more in line with the movie, that's kinda off an odd choice.

But man Drax looks fantastic.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Well that wasn't as much as I'd hoped for. Marvel may lead the pack in Hollywood, but DC as the gaming market in the bag. Marvel needs a fighting game independant of Capcom, it needs console games for Avengers and Iron man solo, possibly more and a GotG game would have great potential.

DC Beats Marvel with just the Arkham games, then with Injustice, Young Justice ect they own super-gaming. Lego Marvel was fun though.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By medulaoblaganda
    Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@g_leno: to each their own, cant argue with numbers so wont go there but i play to have fun and i have no fun with the batman games. you can only play batman in gotham, boring. i need variety and maa gives me that. plus cant go wrong with magic users and mutants which marvel has galore.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By mak13131313

@g_leno said:

Well that wasn't as much as I'd hoped for. Marvel may lead the pack in Hollywood, but DC as the gaming market in the bag. Marvel needs a fighting game independant of Capcom, it needs console games for Avengers and Iron man solo, possibly more and a GotG game would have great potential.

DC Beats Marvel with just the Arkham games, then with Injustice, Young Justice ect they own super-gaming. Lego Marvel was fun though.

This.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 please. I want that now. NOW! NOW! NOW!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

2 was not as good as the first. I don't want another unless its better.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grim:

The second one doesn't exist in my mind :P

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@grim said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

2 was not as good as the first. I don't want another unless its better.

agreed

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the &*^* gives a crap about Injustice I'm just happy to see more content revealed about Avengers Alliance.

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:
    Lego Marvel was fun though.

And the developers for that are owned by WB, who own DC :P

What?! You guys are crazy, Ultimate Alliance 2 was heaps better, looked better, sounded better, controlled better, I could play as the Green Goblin...

I don't know, Disney has Marvel now, so why don't they throw their weight around a little and start courting some good developers, maybe someone who can make something as good as Spider-man 2 or Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad we arent getting high quality games but this free to play stuff. Gameloft games are stereotypically bad too.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By G_leno

@g_leno: to each their own, cant argue with numbers so wont go there but i play to have fun and i have no fun with the batman games. you can only play batman in gotham, boring. i need variety and maa gives me that. plus cant go wrong with magic users and mutants which marvel has galore.

But how good would it be if they made a game where you could be Dr. Strange taking the fight to Dormammu or Mephisto? Roaming around hell, it would be like Arkham city, but with the look of Dante's Inferno, using spells instead of gadgets. This is what I mean when I say Marvel need to up the games they release.

I really enjoyed the fun and arcade style hack and slash of the Deadpool game, so why not commission more characters for games? Ultimate Alliance 3 would be a welcome addition to my games!

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And STILL no news on Namor, Marvel's first superhero, joining Avengers Alliance. I guess they'll have Rocket Racoon take his place on the Illuminati, when they have that mission.

So, it looks like this will be yet another Marvel game I won't be playing.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alak

If anyone wants a good Marvel game to play, I'd recommend Marvel Heroes by Gazillion. It's for the PC (decent req.), has a free-to-play model, there are currently 30 characters to choose from, and new characters come out monthly. Definitely worth checking out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Imagine a Mass Effect style GotG game, that would be glorious!

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meanwhile at DC comics
    Meanwhile at DC comics
    Meanwhile at Image comics
    Meanwhile at Vertigo
    Meanwhile at Vertigo

I see your sevens and I raise you my tens.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Playdom game has terrible tech support, countless glitches, and constantly screws over players in PVP. I like the story mode and the characters but this "free game" seems more about the money.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow anyone else notice the Aimi Yoshida nod? didnt think id ever see her ace again, too bad that game let me down so hard

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meanwhile at DC comics
    Meanwhile at DC comics
    Meanwhile at Vertigo
    Meanwhile at Vertigo

I see your sevens and I raise you my tens.

Hah! Nice!

It's actually kind of sad though... I'm a Marvel guy, but primarily I'm a gamer so naturally, I'd love for some great Marvel games the same way that DC has the Batman Arkham franchise. Sadly, it doesn't seem like we're getting anything like that anytime soon...

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bunkitz:

I don't know, I still want the Amazing Spider-man 2 to take a step forward with the new generation of consoles instead of a step back. Frankly the only decent games that Marvel has made IMO are the Spider-man games.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Great to see Wanda is finally getting her alternate costume

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By averywetfrog

They have got to stop making games just for the movies. They get rushed and it shows. I want a good marvel game, specifically a Spider-Man and also an X men game. They could make so much more money if they made better games but instead they sell them on movie hype.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rheged said:

And STILL no news on Namor, Marvel's first superhero, joining Avengers Alliance. I guess they'll have Rocket Racoon take his place on the Illuminati, when they have that mission.

Someone's getting a little complainy for no reason... I'm sure they'll find a good way to introduce him soon.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really wish Marvel would step up it's gaming division (outside of Avengers Alliance, a game that is ok). With so much to work with they could be doing so much.

It's pretty sad actually what little they have done and seem to be doing.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, I just quit MAA a few days ago. They really should focus on their bugs, PvP and some of the other issues before adding in more characters. The game has gotten so stale that it feels like a chore to play.

Hermatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMLESS TIGER MAN!!!!

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rheged
    @lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:

Someone's getting a little complainy for no reason... I'm sure they'll find a good way to introduce him soon.

For no reason? Namor hasn't been in a Marvel game since Ultimate Alliance in 2006, and he wasn't a playable character even then.

Avengers Alliance HAD a good way to introduce him, when they did the Phoenix Five scenario, but instead they replaced him with Dark Phoenix -- like that made any sense. Meanwhile, Avengers Alliance keeps adding non-Avenger characters like Fantomax??? And Marvel's first superhero, an Avenger, Defender, Invader, X-Man, and FF member is completely ignored.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LCazT1996

@rheged said:
    @lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:

For no reason? Namor hasn't been in a Marvel game since Ultimate Alliance in 2006, and he wasn't a playable character even then.

Avengers Alliance HAD a good way to introduce him, when they did the Phoenix Five scenario, but instead they replaced him with Dark Phoenix -- like that made any sense. Meanwhile, Avengers Alliance keeps adding non-Avenger characters like Fantomax??? And Marvel's first superhero, an Avenger, Defender, Invader, X-Man, and FF member is completely ignored.

Again, I'm sure they'll find a way to introduce him soon. And Jean Grey + Phoenix makes much more sense than Namor + Phoenix. Not in the source material, but in the context of the game how would they explain why Jean doesn't have the Phoenix Force?

And they're only calling it Avengers Assemble because the Avengers is the big name everyone knows, yeah?

I am positive they will find a way to introduce him soon. Falcon is one of their most storied characters, and he's just getting introduced. Namor can't be too far behind.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rheged said:
    @lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:

Again, I'm sure they'll find a way to introduce him soon. And Jean Grey + Phoenix makes much more sense than Namor + Phoenix. Not in the source material, but in the context of the game how would they explain why Jean doesn't have the Phoenix Force?

And they're only calling it Avengers Assemble because the Avengers is the big name everyone knows, yeah?

I am positive they will find a way to introduce him soon. Falcon is one of their most storied characters, and he's just getting introduced. Namor can't be too far behind.

LOL! You're comparing Falcon's history to Namor? If Avengers Alliance cared about 'storied characters,' Namor would have been the first one up, since he's Marvel's oldest character, with connections to almost every group in the MU. Tons more than Falcon or Fantomax or Brother Voodoo or Omega Sentinel or HEIMDAL.

Right. Cause Fantomax is a character everyone knows. NOT.

Jean Grey doesn't make sense in the context of the Phoenix Five, since why would the Phoenix split up when it could have one single, and most favored host? And if you are going to do the Phoenix Five you should do all of them, not replace the character that had the second biggest role, behind Cyclops.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rheged said:

@lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:
    @lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:

LOL! You're comparing Falcon's history to Namor? If Avengers Alliance cared about 'storied characters,' Namor would have been the first one up, since he's Marvel's oldest character, with connections to almost every group in the MU. Tons more than Falcon or Fantomax or Brother Voodoo or Omega Sentinel or HEIMDAL.

Jean Grey doesn't make sense in the context of the Phoenix Five, since why would the Phoenix split up when it could have one single, and most favored host? And if you are going to do the Phoenix Five you should do all of them, not replace the character that had the second biggest role, behind Cyclops.

I'm not saying that Falcon is as important to Marvel's history as Namor. I'm saying that he is also an important Marvel character.

And clearly they either haven't found a good way to manifest his powers on the game, or are saving him for a specific story. Brother/Doctor Voodoo and Omega Sentinel at the very least are good characters in the game. I'm not saying they're classic Marvel characters or anything. I'm just saying they've found a good way to have them in the game.

You are also getting way more emotional about a stupid online game. Its really not as big of a deal as you're making it.

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rheged said:

@lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:
    @lcazt1996 said:

@rheged said:

I'm not saying that Falcon is as important to Marvel's history as Namor. I'm saying that he is also an important Marvel character.

And clearly they either haven't found a good way to manifest his powers on the game, or are saving him for a specific story. Brother/Doctor Voodoo and Omega Sentinel at the very least are good characters in the game. I'm not saying they're classic Marvel characters or anything. I'm just saying they've found a good way to have them in the game.

You are also getting way more emotional about a stupid online game. Its really not as big of a deal as you're making it.

LOL! Of course, when you can't come up with a logical counter argument, start making personal attacks. It's obviously a big enough deal for you, since you've replied three times to this subject.

It's been EIGHT years since Namor was in a game, and even longer since he's been a playable character. That alone is plenty of reason to complain about his absence from a game. If you don't think so, do without your games and posting on comic sites for eight years, then come back and tell me I've no reason to complain.

The only reason Falcon is in the game, is because he's in the movie. Just like the Warriors Three and Heimdal are in the game because of a movie. I've no idea why you are bringing up the rest of your excuses and using Falcon as an example, when Namor has him beat on almost every count.

Saving him for a specific story? You mean like AvX or Infinity? Stories Namor had a role in. Namor has ties to just about everyone in the MU, it isn't any great hardship to fit him into any storyline, JUST LIKE IN THE COMICS. His powers are flying brick, like Thor -- what's so difficult about manifesting those powers?

And why are you bringing up the subjective 'good in the game', as if it's some rationale for why they are in the game and Namor isn't? From a powers pov, they are redundant. From a story pov, they, like Falcon, don't have any where near the connections or history Namor has in the MU.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JeanRalphio

We want ULTIMATE Alliance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.