Steven Rogers or Steven Grant Rogers?

#1 Posted by NetSpiker (298 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is Captain America's real name listed as Steven Rogers, rather than Steven Grant Rogers? Spider-Man's real name is listed as Peter Benjamin Parker and Iron Man's real name is listed as Anthony Edward Stark, so why is Steve's middle name not considered part of his real name?

It's the same way in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, so there might be a good reason for this.

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58380 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Steve "Grant" Rogers. In quotation marks. Fesak even made a thread about it.
BB

#3 Posted by lokiofmidgaard (311 posts) - - Show Bio

@NetSpiker said:

Why is Captain America's real name listed as Steven Rogers, rather than Steven Grant Rogers? Spider-Man's real name is listed as Peter Benjamin Parker and Iron Man's real name is listed as Anthony Edward Stark, so why is Steve's middle name not considered part of his real name?

It's the same way in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, so there might be a good reason for this.

It's because he doesn't have a middle name. Quoting my post from the last time someone brought up the Grant name:

His name is Steven Rogers, not Steven Grant Rogers. In 1978's Captain America #225, Cap sees Professor Mason Harding for help dealing with amnesia about his first 18 or so years of life. Harding's machine breaks through the veil over his memories and he recalls a childhood in Maryland as Steven Grant Rogers, son of diplomat Walter Rogers and with an elder brother Michael whose death at Pearl Harbor subsequently inspired Cap to enlist. However, in time Cap comes to doubt these memories because he was active way before Pearl Harbor (he helped found the Invaders within a day or two of that event) and because he's getting conflicting memory flashes of growing up in New York clashing with the crystal clear, highly detailed memories of his Maryland childhood. So in 1980's Captain America #247 he visits SHIELD, and Dum Dum Dugan tracks down Steve's old army footlocker. In it he finds his old journal, and a note that on Christmas Eve 1941 his army superior, aware Steve was due to go overseas with the Invaders and thus risk being captured, summoned Steve. To prevent him spilling vital secrets should he be captured, they plant false memories to confuse any interrogators. They introduce him to diplomat Walter Rogers, who is NOT related to Steve, but whose two sons, Michael and Grant, both died in Pearl Harbor. Steve spends the next couple of days having false memories plugged into him, using the late Grant Rogers' life as the basis for Steve's fake one. Dr. Harding's memory probe triggered the preprogrammed false memories. And here's Steve's exact quote from Captain America #247, p17, panel 1

"My middle name's not Grant...I never had a middle name!"

#4 Edited by NetSpiker (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@lokiofmidgaard: Thanks for clearing that up for me.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this issue has been cleared up permanently.

#6 Posted by karrob (4264 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I hope this issue has been cleared up permanently.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.