Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Steve Rogers should NOT become Captain America

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By frischdvh

What is the next step for Steve Rogers? He used to be Captain America, the epitome of the superhero archtype.Now he steps up to be the World's Top Cop as the director of SHIELD. The next obvious step is the universe, right? 

A lot of people did not like the transfer of Cap to Steve Rogers. I did. I am a Wally West fan, I am a Kyle Rayner Green Lantern kinda guy, and in a wierd way, I even liked Ben Riley. I accept these changes as opportunity for the hero's identity to grow. Bucky becoming Cap made sense in a way that John Walker or the Grand Director or any of the other substitutes couldn't. The same with Wally becoming Flash. I just liked the Kyle revamp of the Green Lantern character.

Sometimes a character needs to be redone. They have either run their course, or are entrenched in continuity Hell. Hal Jordan is the perfect example. At the time of his demise, the most significant change Hal had undergone was that he had gray temples. Oooh! Take that Reed Richards! Nothing like watching your grandpa fight Sinestro. Turning him to the villain was the natural next step. Had Cap reached this point? I say yes.

Cap had just surrendered to authorities after the biggest hero on hero battle. He was going to go to jail and/or be decommissioned from the station of Captain America (for the 1 billionth time). So they do him like Kennedy. He is replaced, and then comes roaring back, but here is the twist....he doesn't take back the mantle. This goes against the formula, but plays out better. There is a new Cap, accepted as a replacement. And now we have arguably the most recognized Marvel character without a title, a code name.

Wait.....he's Super Soldier. Yeah, boring. Steve deserves something classic, enduring, and currently not being used. In my opinion, Steve Rogers should become....Captain Marvel. The name Captain Marvel has been a toxic asset for Marvel. Everytime they try to use it, they are like Charlie Brown going after the football.....oh so close but never hitting the mark. Marvel wants someone to fill the position but they suit a person up and then get gun-shy about backing their decision. Let's take a look.

Mar-Vell: The first, the original, the one who ruined the name. I only say that because Mar-Vell died so perfectly. He was a true hero, and died vailantly. He made the name great and untouchable. 

Monica Rambeau: I don't think she really was given a fair shake. She admirably filled the roll and even became leader of the Avengers. I like her character and always thought she would become Ms. Marvel if they brought the good Captain back. Which they did.....unfortunately.... 

Genis-Vell: I wanted to like him....SO much. Then came the mullet/ponytail/leather jacket combo. He was a sad insult to a great hero's legacy. That is until Avengers Forever. I liked him in that, and was thrilled that he was given a shot at a solo series. There just seemed no momentum from the limited series.

The Skrull Impostor: Argh! Hopes dashed and stupidity ensues.....I'm glad he died.

Noh-Var: Alright, now here we go! He is Kree yeah! Hes got Nega bands woo hoo! and a crappy costume? What's the deal? Black and white, no star, whabuthey?!? No! No! No! Who the Hell is the Protector?!? That's the guy who subbed for Robin on the Titans when they went busting up Speedy's old gang! 

So, MARVEL comics has no CAPTAIN MARVEL. Take that in real slow. The universe needs a protector. Yeah so we have Nova, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel needs someone to take the Captain Marvel name and make it marquee again. Steve Rogers can do that, but how? 

Theory 1:

He does it by visiting the space faring grave of his former Avenger pal Quasar. Upon touching the grave, the power of the Starbrand is transferred. Steve takes the new power and becomes the new Captain Marvel.

Theory 2: 

The power of Captain Universe finally settles on a permanent home, Steve Rogers. STeve then takes up the mantle of Captain Marvel.

Theory 3:

Steve Rogers receives the Nega Bands from Rick Jones, who can't keep them secure in his current condition. Steve slips them on, and trips a security mechanism programmed into them by the original Captain Marvel. He vows to carry on the tradition of Captain Marvel.

MARVEL needs a Captain Marvel. The only man for the job is Steve Rogers. This would also give Marvel the marquee hero to go toe to toe with Superman. Not in power necessarily, but in iconic value. Mar-Vell was the cream of the crop in the Kree army, so was Rogers. Only the Captain can revive Captain Marvel.  

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

Well: 

Secret Avengers #4
    Secret Avengers #4
    frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By frischdvh

Great googlymoogly! That is Awesome!
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Steve Rogers does not have a code name, Super Soldier is the name of his mini-series not his new code name he doesn't need one he's supposedly the new Nick Fury yet I haven't seen him do one thing with SHIELD with the exception of putting Maria Hill back in charge. Steve should not become a universe saving character, that's never been his thing he there are already plenty of awesome cosmic characters that don't get enough face time I do not want Steve Rogers turning into Superman. Do I look forward to seeing what the whole deal is with him putting on the Nova Corp helmet, yet, do I expect him to keep it no, never it would ruin both characters.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PowerHerc

Interesting concept, but Steve should  and will again be Captain America.
    warcorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By warcorpse
    @PowerHerc: I agree, and since Jon walker  is out of commission let Bucky Barnes be U.S.Agent.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc
    @warcorpse:
    Sure. Bucky could be the new USAgent, but I'd rather see him get a whole new superhero name/identitly.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Hawk

I think he should be the Nomad!!!!! 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I think Steve should have never been brought back to begin with, his death was perfect and since his return I've lost all interest in the character.....

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @War Killer said:
    " Personally I think Steve should have never been brought back to begin with, his death was perfect and since his return I've lost all interest in the character..... "
    I agree, at first I hated that they killed him off, but then Bucky was Cap and that became really interesting, but now that Steve is back he seems like more of a back ground character then the ultimate Marvel superhero.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " Personally I think Steve should have never been brought back to begin with, his death was perfect and since his return I've lost all interest in the character..... "
    I agree, at first I hated that they killed him off, but then Bucky was Cap and that became really interesting, but now that Steve is back he seems like more of a back ground character then the ultimate Marvel superhero. "
    Same with me, I hated to see Steve die, but when Bucky became Cap he turned into my favorite character and brought something new to the table for a new generation of readers and for old readers alike. But with Steve back, even with Bucky still as Captain America....his character feels as if it's being pushed into the background....to me it's like how Dick Grayson fans feel about him always being in Bruce's shadow all the time. With Steve back, Bucky's basically in the same boat now.....
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @War Killer: I actually meant that Steve seems to be more of a background character, at least Bucky still has his own title, but I get what you're saying.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " @War Killer: I actually meant that Steve seems to be more of a background character, at least Bucky still has his own title, but I get what you're saying. "
    Oh...my bad, lol I misread what you were saying.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By brc2000

I disagree, but it's because I'm a big fan of the less powerful characters.

frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frischdvh

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I like Bucky as Cap, it is a perfect graduation. My thing about it is, that Steve cannot remain Steve for long without resuming the mantle. It is expected. Instead of pushing Buck into the back, lets give Steve another avenue of opportunity.  

1. Marvel sued long and hard to get the rights to Capt Marvel just to let the character gather dust? Nah c'mon the character deserves a revival. 

2. The character needs an "in" into the universe. Just pasting another Kree into the role (although I like Noh-Varr) won't work. The honor of the mantle demands the weight of the name. Steve Rogers brings weight of name to the role. Steve would make the character important to the Marvel universe.

3.  Steve won't be going back to the role of Capt America. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @War Killer: No problem, after I read what I wrote it did seem like I was talking about Buck, but not big deal.

@FrischDVH: No Steve doesn't need to be Captain Marvel, there are already plenty of great Marvel cosmic characters that can fill the role without taking the mantle of Captain Marvel. Putting Steve as Captain Marvel would be a really bad play for cashing in on the use of Captain Marvel and Steve Rogers, also I don't think Steve would accept the role, it goes against his character. He respects Marv-ell to much to do that. Steve is fine as the Top Cop, but he needs his own monthly.

BTW I haven't been keeping up with Marvel much, is it still SHIELD?
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

ALWAYS & FOREVER, nuff said
    Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Iron_Lad

Steve will be back as Captain America sooner rather than later. Bucky does not make a good Captain America. He lacks the experience, confidence, or any sort of leadership skills. He has none of the qualities that a Captain America should have, except his fighting ability. Steve Rogers will be head of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a little bit, but I hope it won't last long. Steve Rogers belongs in the Captain America constume, Bucky just doesn't fit the role.

Avatar image for captain_justice95
    Captain_Justice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Iron_Lad said:
    "Steve will be back as Captain America sooner rather than later. Bucky does not make a good Captain America. He lacks the experience, confidence, or any sort of leadership skills. He has none of the qualities that a Captain America should have, except his fighting ability. Steve Rogers will be head of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a little bit, but I hope it won't last long. Steve Rogers belongs in the Captain America constume, Bucky just doesn't fit the role. "

I hope that happens. If that happens i hope they dont ruin bucky, i still like the character
    tylerbrad99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tylerbrad99
    tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By tg1982

Well, I guess Steve Rogers is Captain America again. LOL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.