Stanley Tucci's in the Captain America Movie?

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 Erskine's one of those characters who's most notable for being dead.

Marvel’s filling out the supporting cast of THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA with an impressive roster of character actors. Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull, Toby Jones as Arnim Zola, Neal McDonough (probably) as Dum Dum Dugan and Tommy Lee Jones (more than likely) as General Chester Philips? How about having Stanley Tucci join them as Dr. Erskine (according to Comingsoon)?

For those unfamiliar with the Erskine, he’s the brilliant scientist who invents that wonderful Super-Soldier serum which turns scrawny beanpole Steve Rogers into hulking, virile Ajax, Captain America. The story’s changed depending on what retcon’s in vogue, but in various versions of Cap’s origin, Erskine didn’t write any of his formulas down on paper. Thus, after he was gunned down by a Nazi spy during Cap’s transformative operation, the Super Soldier serum was lost forever and could never be replicated, making Cap the one and only super soldier. Of course, that’s not always the case if you factor in Protocide or Isaiah Bradley (although I doubt the movie will be touching on either.) == TEASER ==

Tucci’s a great actor, of course. Genre fans might know him best for recently acting in THE LOVELY BONES, as well as lending his voice to the CG toons ROBOTS and SPACE CHIMPS. He also acted in the comic-based movie ROAD TO PERDITION, playing Al Capone’s right hand man, Frank Nitti. For a moment - - just a moment - - I was a little skeptical about him playing this eccentric scientist but, considering the sheer range of roles he’s covered in his career, I doubt he’ll any trouble handling the foreign accent.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, this movie is getting a lot of big names in there.   
I hadn't realized they'd already cast Red Skull... and HUGO EFFING WEAVING no less!  Awesome.

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7585 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of good casting. I hope that means there's no way for this movie to suck..........i hope >.>

#3 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be interesting.

#4 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing comicbooks, it turns out that Dr. Erskine  isn't actually dead. When he was killed, his son who nobody knew existed for reasons of national security had secretly devised a formula to restore people after their deaths. So his son, unbeknownst to the world, revived his father from death but was quickly killed later. After being revived, Dr. Erskine had no idea who he was or where he was because his memory hadn't come back. So then he wandered across the world for a while and ended up becoming a supervillan. 

Ten bucks says that is eventually going to be the story arc of a future Captain America comic.
#5 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

This is interesting casting.  I like the majority of Tucci's roles.  He's pulled off some under the radar comedic and creepy roles.  I really like him so to have him involved is rather neat.  Sweet.
#6 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe he will play Baron Zemo.  But I like him playing the doctor too.

#7 Posted by AirDave817 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be epic!

#8 Posted by seewhatsinmybrain (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude is Cap totally grabbing that guy's junk?

#9 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Its weird how Marvel didnt put a big name for Captain America, yet theyre putting a lot money into smaller parts.

#10 Posted by bob agent of agency x (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Whos playing Bucky? 
They better put Bucky in it! 

#11 Posted by growup (525 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaloKing343 said:
"
Knowing comicbooks, it turns out that Dr. Erskine  isn't actually dead. When he was killed, his son who nobody knew existed for reasons of national security had secretly devised a formula to restore people after their deaths. So his son, unbeknownst to the world, revived his father from death but was quickly killed later. After being revived, Dr. Erskine had no idea who he was or where he was because his memory hadn't come back. So then he wandered across the world for a while and ended up becoming a supervillan.  Ten bucks says that is eventually going to be the story arc of a future Captain America comic. "
Agreed, I'm willing to bet $100 that happens
#12 Posted by Bathory1313 (521 posts) - - Show Bio
@bob agent of agency x: 

The dude's name is Sebastian Stan a relative no name.. but bucky is in it
#13 Posted by sniktawt (11 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
"Its weird how Marvel didnt put a big name for Captain America, yet theyre putting a lot money into smaller parts. "

With the exception of Tommy Lee Jones, I don't think those other guys would cost that much. Maybe Hugo costs a bit, but certainly not Stanley Tucci.
#14 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Timothy Spall (Wormtail in Harry Potter) could be a better Erskine.
#15 Posted by Amircat (44 posts) - - Show Bio
@seewhatsinmybrain: 

haha, I agree! It looks like he has his hand buried in Erskine's crutch. Maybe soothing him in his last moments on earth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.