Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Should the super soldier serum slow/halt Roger's aging?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, as you know a while back Steve Rogers' super soldier serum was rendered inert, which caused him to rapidly age. But this isn't the first time this has happened, years ago a similar thing happened, but he didn't suddenly age, he just had to constantly train to keep up his strength. I had always assumed he was young when the Avengers found him because he was preserved in the ice. What do you think, should the serum slow/halt his aging, and hence he should rapidly age if he loses it?

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: I honestly thought it did cause him to age at a slightly slower rate

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

No. Just, all sorts of no. You are correct that it was rendered inert before, back in Marc Gruenwalds run and yes, all it meant was Steve had to actually train more to keep his conditioning. That's the thing, all the serum does is keep him in peak physical condition. Nothing more. I don't care what the writers want to try and add to it, that's all it does. So the idea of him aging is ridiculous. First off, the ice preserved him so even though his body has existed all these years, he didn't age. Again, he was preserved in ice. I think they just aged him so that Sam could take the shield which is a whole other thread but as for aging, it makes no sense. Just my opinion though.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Cap10nate

There was a cool mini series called Hail Hydra, which I don't think is canon, but it is about Hydra trying to unlock the key to immortality over centuries and it shows Cap battling them in WW2 and into the present. He is injected by their formula which they insinuates slows or maybe even halted his aging at that time. Not really relevant for this discussion, but interesting nonetheless.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that Steve Rogers has regained his youth recently after having the SSS (Super Soldier Serum)removed from his system and rapidly aging to his true chronological age, I have a theory that the SSS has permanently altered his DNA, conferring a degree of immortality(or at least exceedingly slow aging not unlike Sub-Mariner and the original Wolverine) by causing the telomeres in his body to continuously rewind- in a "normal" person when the telomeres rewind over a lifetimes, they continuously shorten, thus causing aging.

Terry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.