Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Should Captain America Use Firearms Regularly?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

Considering that Captain America is a super soldier from WWII, should he use firearms regularly? I understand that Cap's a role model and "guns are bad, m'kay," but he's a soldier. Soldiers use guns. So Cap should use guns. Simple as that, lol.

Is it only me who feels that way or are there others out there? Keep in mind that I'm talking about 616 Steve Rogers. I know Ultimate Cap and Bucky (616) use firearms all the time, but the topic at hand refers exclusively to 616's Steve Rogers.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Aiden Cross

No, just when the situation calls for it. To knock out some random thugs he won't need guns.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By tg1982

@cattlebattle said:

This. It never runs out of ammo. :-)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By X35

Captain America doesn't kill.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By feebadger

@tg1982 said:

@cattlebattle said:

This. It never runs out of ammo. :-)

I'd have to go with this too.

@X35: I would say that Cap doesn't murder, but he most definitely kill. He's done it twice to my knowledge; once against Brother Blood (DECAPITATION!) and once against a terrorist that was threatening to blow up a small American town (Captain Ameirca Vol. 4, Issue 3). A brilliant story in the wake of 9/11.

I also reckon he tried to kill Bucky. Whiny kid. One simple roll of sticky tape and a falling bomb. Genius.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By X35

@feebadger: In Captain America #321 he has to shoot a terrorist to save a hostage... the next few issues sum up that Captain America doesn't kill. He has killed but it's certainly nothing he ever wants to do.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By BatteredArmor

@cattlebattle said:

well said

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CapFanboy

I think it's since he's meant to be the best a human can be, and if regular humans need guns to protect themselves, why should the best human? + I guess in war it's fine to use guns, but against Hydra or low-level street thugs he can handle himself without it.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The only guns that Captain America needs are attached to each side of his torso. POW!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@X35 said:

Who said anything about killing?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By X35

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

Oh yeah because he's just going to go around with a gun just kneecaping everyone like the Terminator...

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I have no problems with it per say, Cap is a Solider, but guns are looked down upon in comics and life in general, so he won't always have one.

@X35 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

Oh yeah because he's just going to go around with a gun just kneecaping everyone like the Terminator...

Lone Ranger seems to pull of not killing with a gun ^_^

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Aiden Cross

@X35 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

The A-Team does fine with guns and not killing :P

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Billy Batson

Always found using a defensive weapon as an offensive weapon a little weird
    BB

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

Yes. Not that he has a specific disadvantage, but the vast majority of the Marvel universe completely outclasses power-wise and while he does hold his own due to his sheer determination, skill and experience, it's not always enough. Like Gambit said, he doesn't have to kill to use a firearm and it could also help him get out of stickier situations. The man's a soldier first, super-hero second. He should be entitled to a weapon besides the shield.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

@Deranged Midget said:

Yes. Not that he has a specific disadvantage, but the vast majority of the Marvel universe completely outclasses power-wise and while he does hold his own due to his sheer determination, skill and experience, it's not always enough. Like Gambit said, he doesn't have to kill to use a firearm and it could also help him get out of stickier situations. The man's a soldier first, super-hero second. He should be entitled to a weapon besides the shield.

Exactly my point. Nothing's ever going to replace the shield, no doubt, but firearms would help and add to the "super soldier" namesake. Besides, Cap knows full-well what'll kill and what won't. He has self-control.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Not sure thats how it works, well not in the British Army anyway 
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Honestly, I have no idea. I guess if he loves serving, they aren't objecting.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Well he could work for the army in a purely civilian capacity or you know, comic book logic FTW
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Well he could work for the army in a purely civilian capacity or you know, comic book logic FTW

Comic logic for the win indeed.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By feebadger

@X35 said:

@feebadger: In Captain America #321 he has to shoot a terrorist to save a hostage... the next few issues sum up that Captain America doesn't kill. He has killed but it's certainly nothing he ever wants to do.

I think whether he wants to or not isn't really the point. He has and he will if he has to. I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill. I mean, it's not a given that someone is a killer. I think that there are many heroes (people) who couldn't do it no matter WHAT the circumstance. But at heart, Cap can. He is a soldier and will do whatever is necessary. (On a side note, didn't the late lamented Mark Gruenwald cover a lot of ground with Cap!? I mean, that's a serious body of work that seems to have been just forgotten about. On a side note to the side note, do you think Captain America likes cheese? Does he eat all american? If he was ever photographed eating a bowl of Borscht would he be considered a traitor to the flag? And if these questions fell in the woods, would anyone still hear them???)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By PowerHerc

I have absolutely nothing against guns but no, Captain America shouldn't use firearms regularly.

The Punisher shouldn't carry a shield either, it you get my drift.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enosisik

Maybe he should carry a taser and pepper spray also lol. I like him to carry a small side arm. I just don't want to see him busting out an AK or any large caliber that Punisher would use... Unless it fit the story... Actually Cap would look pretty cool lining up a shot on the Red Skull or any of those old Nazi bastards,with a sniper rifle. I'd kinda like to see a black op Cap now that I think about it .

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gravitypress

@PowerHerc said:

I have absolutely nothing against guns but no, Captain America shouldn't use firearms regularly.

The Punisher shouldn't carry a shield either, it you get my drift.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tg1982

@feebadger said:

I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill.

I get what you're trying to say, but I disagree. At heart he is a protector and defender, he will do what it takes to protect and defend, if he has to kill to do it then yes, he will, but at heart he is not a "killer".

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@tg1982 said:

@feebadger said:

I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill.

I get what you're trying to say, but I disagree. At heart he is a protector and defender, he will do what it takes to protect and defend, if he has to kill to do it then yes, he will, but at heart he is not a "killer".

I agree with that. He only kills if he sees no other option.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GunGunW

No... it just goes against who he is. It's funny how the soldier is less willing to kill than the billionaire, scientist, and the pagan god though

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Martian

@BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

well said

OooHesGood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: That doesnt mean he cant do both. All these writers have slightly different versions of characters. Well I like to take it upon myself to slightly change characters to fit my imagine of them. My Cap uses guns and gadgets and he kills when its needed. He wanted to be a soldier, he knew that required killing for the greater good. And what solider doesnt use guns? So guns of course and cap is a smart man so he would make the most of the SHIELDS gadgets he could get a hold of. Writers dont give him guns and gadgets and dont like him to kill for comic book sake but in a more realistic writing (which is what I go for when imagining/writing about characters) cap would surely use gadgets, guns, and kill the bad guys when called for.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

It's probably easier for Cap to use his shield (which he can, with mind-blowing power and precision) when he isn't also carrying a gun. Also, when he's under heavy fire, he seems to have a better chance of rushing the enemy down with his shield then he would shooting back.

I think the real answer, though, is that he prefers his shield. It works for him, and it's kinda hard to argue that point with him.

VMole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not regularly.

He shouldn't pick up a gun to do his everyday work, but he shouldn't be a stranger to them either when the circumstances require him to use one (or more), he's a soldier after all.

Avatar image for darthdestructor
    DarthDestructor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In comics? Not really, maybe sometimes in Ultimate universe.

But he totally should in movies. The scene in "The First Avenger" when he enter Hydra base with shield and pistol...badass.

innerwolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But he totally should in movies. The scene in "The First Avenger" when he enter Hydra base with shield and pistol...badass.

Absolutely agreed. And in The Avengers he uses an assault rifle to repel the thugs while he helps Iron Man fix the Helicarrier engine. It looks like a theme here ;)

If you think about it, Captain America can use firearms for supression. Keep the enemy down until you get to them. The bennefit over throwing the shield is he can cover himself (and others) with it while he shoots. I see him using firearm+shield with working together with regular operatives, in full frontal assaults.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly. And Cap has proven that he doesn't even need the shield to hold his own. He's one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in comcs history, & as skilled as Bucky is, 3 times faster & stronger than him. Cap would only use a firearm in a war situation or when there was no other alternative. Also when he wasn't Captain America, when he was "America's Top Cop" & heading up S.H.I.E.L.D. & the Secret Avengers, doing more covert/military-type missions. And still he relied on his combat skills more. Now Bucky as Cap? The sidearm was always an awesome thing for him, giving Bucky an added edge since he wasn't a super-soldier per se. And as he said, he's always carried guns, & he'd need them more than ever since he was wearing a red white & blue target. But Steve? I see no reason for him to carry a sidearm.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I like it when he uses guns occasionally.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

To revisit this topic, I think Cap should use guns on the job only when he is mandated to (working with the government, or maybe the Avengers), and even then infrequently. I would like to see him use them more frequently than he does now, though.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To revisit this topic, I think Cap should use guns on the job only when he is mandated to (working with the government, or maybe the Avengers).

I can see Stark making specialized guns and grenades for him to use.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

N I don't think Cap should use firearms- remember he is NOT a vigilante like the Punisher!

Terry

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A pistol sure

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A stun gun that doesn't kill. He really should have a gun. He is Captain "America".

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, he should have a pistol with non-lethal ammo for a sidearm and only use it when he really needs it.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

Never!

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If he is depicted during the war, he should use the firearms.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.