Should Captain America Use Firearms Regularly?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that Captain America is a super soldier from WWII, should he use firearms regularly? I understand that Cap's a role model and "guns are bad, m'kay," but he's a soldier. Soldiers use guns. So Cap should use guns. Simple as that, lol.

Is it only me who feels that way or are there others out there? Keep in mind that I'm talking about 616 Steve Rogers. I know Ultimate Cap and Bucky (616) use firearms all the time, but the topic at hand refers exclusively to 616's Steve Rogers.

#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

No, just when the situation calls for it. To knock out some random thugs he won't need guns.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

#4 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

This. It never runs out of ammo. :-)

#5 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America doesn't kill.

#6 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@cattlebattle said:

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

This. It never runs out of ammo. :-)

I'd have to go with this too.

@X35: I would say that Cap doesn't murder, but he most definitely kill. He's done it twice to my knowledge; once against Brother Blood (DECAPITATION!) and once against a terrorist that was threatening to blow up a small American town (Captain Ameirca Vol. 4, Issue 3). A brilliant story in the wake of 9/11.

I also reckon he tried to kill Bucky. Whiny kid. One simple roll of sticky tape and a falling bomb. Genius.

#7 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger: In Captain America #321 he has to shoot a terrorist to save a hostage... the next few issues sum up that Captain America doesn't kill. He has killed but it's certainly nothing he ever wants to do.

#8 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

well said

#9 Posted by CapFanboy (5255 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's since he's meant to be the best a human can be, and if regular humans need guns to protect themselves, why should the best human? + I guess in war it's fine to use guns, but against Hydra or low-level street thugs he can handle himself without it.

#10 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The only guns that Captain America needs are attached to each side of his torso. POW!

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

Captain America doesn't kill.

Who said anything about killing?

#12 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

Captain America doesn't kill.

Who said anything about killing?

Oh yeah because he's just going to go around with a gun just kneecaping everyone like the Terminator...

#13 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problems with it per say, Cap is a Solider, but guns are looked down upon in comics and life in general, so he won't always have one.

@X35 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

Captain America doesn't kill.

Who said anything about killing?

Oh yeah because he's just going to go around with a gun just kneecaping everyone like the Terminator...

Lone Ranger seems to pull of not killing with a gun ^_^

#14 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@X35 said:

Captain America doesn't kill.

Who said anything about killing?

Oh yeah because he's just going to go around with a gun just kneecaping everyone like the Terminator...

The A-Team does fine with guns and not killing :P

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58069 posts) - - Show Bio

Always found using a defensive weapon as an offensive weapon a little weird
BB

#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Not that he has a specific disadvantage, but the vast majority of the Marvel universe completely outclasses power-wise and while he does hold his own due to his sheer determination, skill and experience, it's not always enough. Like Gambit said, he doesn't have to kill to use a firearm and it could also help him get out of stickier situations. The man's a soldier first, super-hero second. He should be entitled to a weapon besides the shield.

Moderator
#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Yes. Not that he has a specific disadvantage, but the vast majority of the Marvel universe completely outclasses power-wise and while he does hold his own due to his sheer determination, skill and experience, it's not always enough. Like Gambit said, he doesn't have to kill to use a firearm and it could also help him get out of stickier situations. The man's a soldier first, super-hero second. He should be entitled to a weapon besides the shield.

Exactly my point. Nothing's ever going to replace the shield, no doubt, but firearms would help and add to the "super soldier" namesake. Besides, Cap knows full-well what'll kill and what won't. He has self-control.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33625 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Moderator
#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Not sure thats how it works, well not in the British Army anyway 
#21 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Not sure thats how it works, well not in the British Army anyway

Honestly, I have no idea. I guess if he loves serving, they aren't objecting.

Moderator
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Not sure thats how it works, well not in the British Army anyway

Honestly, I have no idea. I guess if he loves serving, they aren't objecting.

Well he could work for the army in a purely civilian capacity or you know, comic book logic FTW
#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Is Cap even still a solider at this point? Surly is 24 year contract will be over by now?

Pretty sure he could've easily re-instated that while working as America's "top cop"

Not sure thats how it works, well not in the British Army anyway

Honestly, I have no idea. I guess if he loves serving, they aren't objecting.

Well he could work for the army in a purely civilian capacity or you know, comic book logic FTW

Comic logic for the win indeed.

Moderator
#24 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@feebadger: In Captain America #321 he has to shoot a terrorist to save a hostage... the next few issues sum up that Captain America doesn't kill. He has killed but it's certainly nothing he ever wants to do.

I think whether he wants to or not isn't really the point. He has and he will if he has to. I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill. I mean, it's not a given that someone is a killer. I think that there are many heroes (people) who couldn't do it no matter WHAT the circumstance. But at heart, Cap can. He is a soldier and will do whatever is necessary. (On a side note, didn't the late lamented Mark Gruenwald cover a lot of ground with Cap!? I mean, that's a serious body of work that seems to have been just forgotten about. On a side note to the side note, do you think Captain America likes cheese? Does he eat all american? If he was ever photographed eating a bowl of Borscht would he be considered a traitor to the flag? And if these questions fell in the woods, would anyone still hear them???)

#25 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

I have absolutely nothing against guns but no, Captain America shouldn't use firearms regularly.

The Punisher shouldn't carry a shield either, it you get my drift.

#26 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he should carry a taser and pepper spray also lol. I like him to carry a small side arm. I just don't want to see him busting out an AK or any large caliber that Punisher would use... Unless it fit the story... Actually Cap would look pretty cool lining up a shot on the Red Skull or any of those old Nazi bastards,with a sniper rifle. I'd kinda like to see a black op Cap now that I think about it .

#27 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I have absolutely nothing against guns but no, Captain America shouldn't use firearms regularly.

The Punisher shouldn't carry a shield either, it you get my drift.

#28 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger said:

I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill.

I get what you're trying to say, but I disagree. At heart he is a protector and defender, he will do what it takes to protect and defend, if he has to kill to do it then yes, he will, but at heart he is not a "killer".

#29 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@feebadger said:

I don't think it's an easy decision, but at heart he is a killer, meaning that he has the capacity to kill.

I get what you're trying to say, but I disagree. At heart he is a protector and defender, he will do what it takes to protect and defend, if he has to kill to do it then yes, he will, but at heart he is not a "killer".

I agree with that. He only kills if he sees no other option.

#30 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

No... it just goes against who he is. It's funny how the soldier is less willing to kill than the billionaire, scientist, and the pagan god though

#31 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@cattlebattle said:

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

well said

#32 Posted by OooHesGood (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: That doesnt mean he cant do both. All these writers have slightly different versions of characters. Well I like to take it upon myself to slightly change characters to fit my imagine of them. My Cap uses guns and gadgets and he kills when its needed. He wanted to be a soldier, he knew that required killing for the greater good. And what solider doesnt use guns? So guns of course and cap is a smart man so he would make the most of the SHIELDS gadgets he could get a hold of. Writers dont give him guns and gadgets and dont like him to kill for comic book sake but in a more realistic writing (which is what I go for when imagining/writing about characters) cap would surely use gadgets, guns, and kill the bad guys when called for.

#33 Edited by DarthMummy (411 posts) - - Show Bio

It's probably easier for Cap to use his shield (which he can, with mind-blowing power and precision) when he isn't also carrying a gun. Also, when he's under heavy fire, he seems to have a better chance of rushing the enemy down with his shield then he would shooting back.

I think the real answer, though, is that he prefers his shield. It works for him, and it's kinda hard to argue that point with him.

#34 Posted by VMole (625 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not regularly.

He shouldn't pick up a gun to do his everyday work, but he shouldn't be a stranger to them either when the circumstances require him to use one (or more), he's a soldier after all.

#35 Posted by DarthDestructor (70 posts) - - Show Bio

In comics? Not really, maybe sometimes in Ultimate universe.

But he totally should in movies. The scene in "The First Avenger" when he enter Hydra base with shield and pistol...badass.

#36 Posted by innerwolf88 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

But he totally should in movies. The scene in "The First Avenger" when he enter Hydra base with shield and pistol...badass.

Absolutely agreed. And in The Avengers he uses an assault rifle to repel the thugs while he helps Iron Man fix the Helicarrier engine. It looks like a theme here ;)

If you think about it, Captain America can use firearms for supression. Keep the enemy down until you get to them. The bennefit over throwing the shield is he can cover himself (and others) with it while he shoots. I see him using firearm+shield with working together with regular operatives, in full frontal assaults.

#37 Posted by Winter_Kills (537 posts) - - Show Bio

His shield is a better weapon than any bullet.

Exactly. And Cap has proven that he doesn't even need the shield to hold his own. He's one of the best hand-to-hand combatants in comcs history, & as skilled as Bucky is, 3 times faster & stronger than him. Cap would only use a firearm in a war situation or when there was no other alternative. Also when he wasn't Captain America, when he was "America's Top Cop" & heading up S.H.I.E.L.D. & the Secret Avengers, doing more covert/military-type missions. And still he relied on his combat skills more. Now Bucky as Cap? The sidearm was always an awesome thing for him, giving Bucky an added edge since he wasn't a super-soldier per se. And as he said, he's always carried guns, & he'd need them more than ever since he was wearing a red white & blue target. But Steve? I see no reason for him to carry a sidearm.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.