Revealing Set Photos Show Captain America Taking Command in 'The Avengers'

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

You may have seen Chris Evans in 'Captain America: The First Avenger,' which hit theaters earlier this summer, but one look at him in Joss Whedon's upcoming 'Avengers' film and you'll realize this is a whole new brand of 'Cap.'

As soon as actor Chris Evans donned an all new Captain America costume for the upcoming Avengers film, it did not take long for people to begin snapping pictures. The photographs clearly demonstrate Evans as Cap leading the way for the Avengers in New York City. The texture of this costume is clearly more modern -- less leather than the one he wore in the 'Captain America' film.

== TEASER ==

While he wouldn't let us interview him, Chris did discussed the new costume in a recent interview with Movie Line and revealed that this costume makes executing intricate action scenes far more difficult.

“They each have pros and cons. This, the first Cap costume, is very cumbersome. It’s thick and it’s bulky, it’s tough to do fight sequences in, but the cowl, the helmet, can come on and off at will. The current wardrobe is a bit different. The suit, the range of motion is fantastic, you can really get some good fight sequences in. It’s a little bit more form-fitting. But the cowl, the hood, has some… changes that make it a little more difficult to get on and off.”

But the film's new costume is the least of his worries. Signing his life away to a six picture deal, however, is the bigger issue. Evans revealed that by becoming Captain America, he was essentially forking over any bit of freedom he had left. Not only that, but he makes an interesting point that he could potentially continue to portray Captain America when he hits 40 years old.

“It started out as a nine-picture and they dropped it down to a six-picture deal, but even six movies — they could spread those out and it could be ten years. I could be doing this ‘til I’m 40. That’s a crazy thing to think about. I don’t think anybody here could make a decision for the next ten years of your life. It’s crazy. Movies, for me up until now, have been one at a time. If my passion shifted, if my search in life went somewhere else, I could go do that. This just meant you can’t. That’s scary. And the potential lifestyle change; I’ve been making movies for ten years but I can still go to a ball game. I can still go to Disney World. I can still live my life with relative ease and anonymity, and this movie could potentially change that, and that’s scary too.”

Ten years is an extremely long time to dedicate to one project, especially if you are an actor. Every project you do, and every role you portray could potentially make or break your career. So if Avengers is a flop, Evans might be in a spot of trouble.

Based on Marvel Studios' track record and the photos of Evans as Captain America in the upcoming Avengers film, do you think the upcoming Avengers film will be good? Is it something you are looking forward to? What do you think of Cap's brand new costume?

Source: Movie Line and i09

#1 Edited by cdeoleo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

First grade was hard for me.

#2 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing...looks good especially after the previews from the Cap movie...
#3 Posted by cdeoleo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Dammit! I thought that was one of the secret quests. 

Now I really hope that Captain does take the lead because it would really annoy me if Iron was in charge just because he is the most popular. Captain leads!!

#4 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by guardiandevil801 (272 posts) - - Show Bio

wow sweet pics i can't wait to see this movie!
#6 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awsome.
#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio

CGI guys Skrulls?

#8 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9174 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome pics. Can't wait for this movie. 

#9 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon directing a movie that brings Iron Man, Thor and Cap together with their original actors, a full Avengers lineup and costumes that don't look laughable and ridiculous? AWESOME!

#10 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13400 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant freakin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder why is stunt double looks like he is doing the scene, holding the gun and examining it.  Perhaps it explodes or something.

#12 Posted by 00MirageKnight00 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

caps costume looks horrible in my opinion :(

#13 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

CGI guys Skrulls?

Good guess. I was trying to figure out who Cap was fighting in regards to the actors/stuntmen in the CGI motion suits, and that stands to be a good guess. Also, I can't figure out what the stunt double is holding exactly, it looks a little bit alien. Maybe its a gun but I can't tell.

#14 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of one of my favorite artwork of Captain America and New York:

#15 Posted by The Impersonator (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap's costume looks tight.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

@spiderbat87 said:

CGI guys Skrulls?

Good guess. I was trying to figure out who Cap was fighting in regards to the actors/stuntmen in the CGI motion suits, and that stands to be a good guess. Also, I can't figure out what the stunt double is holding exactly, it looks a little bit alien. Maybe its a gun but I can't tell.

I would say it is some type of gun
#17 Posted by Mandrewgora (299 posts) - - Show Bio

holy crap! i really dig that cap armor

#18 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

This is awesome, though I must say that I kinda preferred Cap's WWII suit. 
I'm gonna say that Skrulls is as good a guess as any as to who the Avengers are gonna be up against in this movie.

#19 Posted by ahgunsillyo (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me, or is Chris Evans's hair a different color and length in the picture of him in civilian clothes than in the one of him in the suit (not wearing the helmet)?  Is the blonder hair a wig? 

Cool costume, by the way.  I kind of wish his ears were exposed, though.  The headpiece looks a little too wide when his ears are contained within it.

#20 Posted by Obsurity (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the the suit not much on his mask/helmet
#21 Posted by _jackbauer (157 posts) - - Show Bio

This new costume doesn't look as good as Cap's WW2 costume in First Avenger.

#22 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I don't like about this second costume are the belt and boots. Like the picture Jordanstine put up I think they should have kept his belt a brown leather belt and the combat boots from the last film. I like the new costume overall its just that those two pieces look too comic book-esque and the having the more traditional combat pouches and boots would keep with the idea that at his core Captain America is a soldier rather than just a guy in a bright costume.I get the modern, tactical armor look they want to go with but it just seems like the character needs a bit of old school nostalgia to make his character work completely and having a leather belt and boots would do that.
#23 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked his old costume... looked more realistic in my opinion... still can't wait to see it!!!

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So does this mean the Avengers are fighting Skrulls?

#25 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Why this ugly mask?

#26 Posted by Burnstar1230 (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Skrulls seems too "out there" even for a comic book-based movie. I wouldn't believe six people can stop an entire alien invasion that possesses advanced technology. That gun kind of looks like the weapons The Red Skull gave his HYDRA soldiers in the Cap movie, except more advanced.

#27 Posted by hitechlolife (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. I could nitpick a few things (blue belt and arms) but that's a damn fine costume. Cap plus the totally metal Thor from the teaser has me pretty confident about the look of the film. Also SKRULLS! (I'm assuming.). So not only is it a superhero team  film but also an city destroying alien invasion film? The word Epic entered popular vernacular solely for this.

If they are skrulls, I'm hoping for Super Skrull to make an appearance as a fun nod to the FF. Surely they can legally get away with a Ben Grimm-esque appendage here and there.

#28 Posted by sparty-dbq (815 posts) - - Show Bio

That weird gun thing looks like a Super Soaker. 

That aside, I'm going absolutely apes*** with every set photo that comes out.  I'm also starting to feel more and more like it'll be a little too intense for me to take my nephew to see.  He'll be 5 1/2 when it comes out.  Yeah, I know it'll be PG-13 and he'd still be a little too young to go anyway, but he and I watch the new Avengers cartoon on my laptop everytime he visits, so I thought it'd be fun for him and I to see Cap and Thor and Iron Man on the big screen together.

#29 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

It's definitely skrulls.

Beside that, not a fan of the suit.

#30 Posted by timetostart (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of the Captain America in like the 70s or 80s, that's not a good thing

#31 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure am psyched already for this! Costume looks find to me though. If anything, I'm seeing this movie as a litmus test toward how superhero team movies should be done. If Avengers is successful then maybe, just maybe DC can finally figure out a way to do a Justice League movie. Of course, we already did see one failure with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...so who knows.  OH well, I have faith! Go Avengers!

#32 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know how I feel about it exactly. I wanna like it, but there's just something about it that seems off. Then again these pictures are taken by some photographer. I'm sure this will look better in the final cut of the film 

#33 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@cdeoleo said:
Dammit! I thought that was one of the secret quests.  Now I really hope that Captain does take the lead because it would really annoy me if Iron was in charge just because he is the most popular. Captain leads!!
Ironman will have the spotlight.I have a feeling he will. He's the biggest out of all of them..well most popular.

Downy.Jr is going to be Hugh Jackman of Avengers...lol 

Cyclops called the shots in the first X-men movie too,but all the focus was on Logan.smh these team movies need to get it together.
#34 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see this movie.

#35 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris has lost weight. He's not as huge as he was in The First Avenger, especially in that last shot.

#36 Posted by gordocomics (113 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw them filming in cleveland today. it was pretty cool. but the costume looks kind of dumb in these pictures. it reminds me of the one in the 90s cap movie, which is not something you want it to remind you of. evans doesnt sound to happy about the deal he signed. it sounds kind of miserable actually. anyway, i'm still really excited for this movie and i hope to see more of it being filmed. 

#37 Posted by MysteriousBlack (204 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks really cool. Looks like Skrulls are the enemy here.

#38 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

lol looks so goofy. 

#39 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

wow I can't wait for this movie 
it's going to be amazing
#40 Posted by PowerHerc (84990 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap looks good!

This movie is gonna Rock!

Avengers!

#41 Edited by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to his hair? im confused.

I have grave worries for this project, the director has never directed a large scale project in his life, hes a comic book writer, so does this mean cheese and bad design similar to that of the Green Lantern? I really hope my concerns have no ground to stand on and that the film turns out great...but...hmmm. 

and seriously? Skrulls? This early on?

#42 Posted by leokearon (1835 posts) - - Show Bio

The toy looks great and the real life version looks just as good

#43 Posted by Shaanyboi (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Only thing i'm not a fan of is the waist with the stripes... the WW2 outfit made it less... goofy.

#44 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is his hair brown and not blonde? I also noticed that Hayley Atwell is not playing Sharon Carter. Amanda Righetti is. She was the girl at the end of Captain America when he woke up.

#45 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7891 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of the amount of filming footage I've seen of The Dark Knight Rises I'm gonna give the whole 'filming footage' thing a rest for a bit

#46 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Obsurity said:
I like the the suit not much on his mask/helmet
Same here.
#47 Posted by lagoonman (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@00MirageKnight00 said: 
caps costume looks horrible in my opinion :(
#48 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
****************** BIG SPOILER *****************

Captain America getting thrown out of 4th floor building window:
(action on the 0:50 mark)
#49 Posted by aouric (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Captain America costume, but I would be concern also with Chris being locked in for so long to portray the role of Cap.  

The success Marvel Studios had with Xmen I and II was really good, the third movie I'm not so sure. I wasn't too pleased with how that one turned out. 

But we'll have to see with the Avengers. There's been so many super hero movies out lately that movie studios not allowing fans enough time to appreciate them before being hit with another hero movie release at a drop of a dime. 

But I guess that's money making movie industry, milk it till the well runs dry.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.