Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Politcal Opinion's in Comics???

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Roninidas

Captain America's Tea Party Dig Prompts Apology From Marvel Editor Joe Quesada

A reference to the Tea Party movement in a Captain America comic has caused members of the movement to cry foul -- and Marvel Comics to back off.

In "Two Americas, Part One," Captain America and a black superhero named The Falcon from New York City come across a rally of angry protesters in Idaho.

At one point the Falcon remarks to Captain America that they wouldn't be welcome in the mob of "angry white folks."

But what really stirred the dander of the real-life Tea Party movement was a sign carried by one of the protesters in the comic, reading "Tea Bag The Libs Before They Tea Bag YOU!"

"The Tea Party movement has been very reflective of broad concerns of all Americans," insisted Michael Johns, a board member of the Nationwide Tea Party Coalition, speaking to Fox News. "Membership is across ethnic, religious and even political lines."

Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada defended the issue, but apologized for the appearance of the sign.

"There was zero discussion to include a group that looked like a Tea Party demonstration," he said, according to ComicBook.com. "There was no thought that it represented a particular group."

The writer of the comic, Ed Brubaker, told Fox News that he did not write the message on the sign.

"I don't know who did it, probably someone who thought it was funny," Brubaker wrote in an e-mail. "I didn't think so, personally. That's the sign being changed to something more generic for the trade reprint, because I and my editor were both shocked to see it."

Feb. 12, 2010
     Rob Kuznia -- HispanicBusiness.com     
    http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2010/2/12/captain_americas_tea_party_dig_prompts.htm     

I saw this article on Yahoo News a couple of days ago.  I read the issue and kind of feel like this is getting blown a little of proportion.  Although, I tend to favor the Tea Partier's politically so I see the problem.  So, I am curious to see what you guys think. 
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Wow, I didn't even notice that in my issue until I saw this, I wonder who gets fired at Marvel for this?

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Roninidas
    @War Killer said:
    "Wow, I didn't even notice that in my issue until I saw this, I wonder who gets fired at Marvel for this?    "

I think I read some where that the Letterer may have put it in.  I don't know for sure.  I also cannot find that source. 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Green Skin

Oh who cares.  TheTea Party losers are happy to trash talk people they don't like but they cry like lil punks if they get the same.  LAME!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.