Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Pinchuk's Thoughts on Chris Evans as Captain America

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Captain America.
     Captain America.

Perhaps you heard about Chris Evans finally being the one to finally win the Captain America casting race. How do I feel about this? Well, if any of you have watched the trailer for the LOSERS, you’ll know he’s certainly big enough for the part.  Aside from that, all I can is that his turn as Johnny Storm was one of the more enjoyable parts of the Fantastic Four movies. A lot of people are throwing their arms up about him being “too jokey” to play Steve Rogers, but they’re basing that of exactly two roles that he’s played.  A quick look at his IMDB profile shows that he’s done a fair amount of dramatic roles. Is he known for that, yet? No, but he did already do an action hero lead in PUSH last year, so in five years he might just be known more for action while comedy roles will be out of the question.

Would this be Ryan Reynolds and Idris Elba today?
     Would this be Ryan Reynolds and Idris Elba today?

Another issue fans are kind of queasy about is that he’s already played other comic roles.  In addition to a Fantastic Four member, he’s also Jensen in THE LOSERS and Lucas Lee in SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD (and he was even Casey Jones in one version of TMNT?).   Similarly, Ryan “ Green Lantern” Reynolds has been Deadpool and Hannibal King.  If that’s an issue to you, I think you ought to look at it like this....  comic-based superheroes have usurped the position straight-up action movies had when I was a kid. If, oh say, Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson we’re starting their careers today, they’d probably be playing Green Arrow or Ant Man instead of John McClaine or Martin Riggs. Similarly, if Reynolds or Evans were acting in the 80s, they’d probably be in DIE HARD and LETHAL WEAPON.  

Is that you, Indy?
     Is that you, Indy?

Hollywood goes through trends and, right now, superheroes is the trend.   So, yeah, if you've read Marvel Comics your whole life, you probably have the mental images of Captain America and the Human Torch as being completely different.  But Marvel isn’t making this strictly for its established fanbase - - they’re making it for a mass audience.   When that happens, other considerations come into play and I’m sure the fact that Evans ranked on Forbes’ “most bankable stars” list last year probably had an influence on his casting. And there’s no problem with that. So, in the meantime, I’m going to reserve judgment until I actually see him in the movie. I doubt I’ll have any issues confusing him with Johnny Storm, the same way I don’t have to inhibit my suspension of disbelief when I’m watching Harrison Ford in something that I already know him just as well as Han Solo, Indiana Jones and Jack Ryan. Did you have an issue with Chris Latta voicing Cobra Commander AND Starscream, huh? Answer me that!

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Avatar image for a_boy_named_art
    A Boy Named Art

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By A Boy Named Art

If the scripts for these stories are consistently strong, I think we could see this iteration of the Cap character grow into his role. The key will be whether Evans can believably hang with Hugo Weaving and Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson. 

Meanwhile, Tom, whatcha think: Olivia Munn for Maria Hill?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jordanstine
    Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bathory1313

Questions I have on this are these: Is FF4 coming from the same studio... will there ever be a FF4 3? 

I don't doubt that Chris Evans can play a strategically minded, super hero person, (just look at the movie Sunshine for instance, (sorry I love that movie), what I question is if their (marvel) ultimate goal is to bring more marvel characters to the big screen and in turn make movies that combine the universe.. than this is a bad choice for he is established as a marvel character already?

Thomas Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Thomas Red

Ahhh!That boy's(^) name is art...

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jordanstine
    @A Boy Named Art said:

"If the scripts for these stories are consistently strong, I think we could see this iteration of the Cap character grow into his role. The key will be whether Evans can believably hang with Hugo Weaving and Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson.   Meanwhile, Tom, whatcha think: Olivia Munn for Maria Hill? "

Olivia Munn is Spider-Woman

Now insert photoshop pic of Olivia Munn in Jesscia's body...

Btw, if this pic doesn't SCREAM Olivia Munn, then I must be thinking of Olivia Hussey (google it).
    Btw, if this pic doesn't SCREAM Olivia Munn, then I must be thinking of Olivia Hussey (google it).

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jlat89
    @Bathory1313: 
    no Fantastic Four's rights are with Fox
    If there is another Fantastic Four it'll be a reboot and it would have to be in the next few years or else Fox will lose the rights to Marvel
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Joe Venom

I loved his performance in Push and I don't doubt his acting but I just don't see him as Captain America, honestly I think he would have been a perfect Hawkeye tho

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tyler Starke

Can I say again how happy I am that Channing tatum isn't going to play Cap

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

@A Boy Named Art said:

"If the scripts for these stories are consistently strong, I think we could see this iteration of the Cap character grow into his role. The key will be whether Evans can believably hang with Hugo Weaving and Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson.   Meanwhile, Tom, whatcha think: Olivia Munn for Maria Hill? "

Sure he can. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself

you know one of the great thing about being an actor is that you can play multiple roles

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Iron Fist Angel
    @Joe Venom said:
    " I loved his performance in Push and I don't doubt his acting but I just don't see him as Captain America, honestly I think he would have been a perfect Hawkeye tho "

Damn you're right - he would make a good Hawkeye. As for him portraying Cap, out of all the people who were rumoured to get the role, he is not one of the ones I would have chosen. He just doesn't look right to me.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

its not will smith or the guy from the office so i can deal

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce Vain

It's not so much for me that because he's already played Johnny Storm. It's just he doesn't fit the bill for Rogers. Robert Downey was perfect for Tony cause A.) He looked like Tony , B.) Had the right charisma for Tony & C.) Both had their own personal demons, so it was very fitting for him to play Tony. But with Chris I don't see any similarities to Steve. Yes he's a good looking guy and all and yes he's in good shape and yes I do enjoy his acting. Buuuuut I just don't see him as Cap. An unknown is what they should've gotten , which I thought that's what Joe Johnston said he was doing. Apparently, he didn't do that. To me someone like Sam Worthington's demeanor is kind of what I see Cap being like. A little bit of that Ultimate Cap attitude. Someone like Alexander Skarsgard is more fitting to me or even Chris Pine from Star Trek kind of looks like Steve. Though, Pine would've had to have hit the gym hardcore. 

We can bitch and gripe about this all we want on not liking this choice, but there's nothing we can do about it. Since, it's a done deal we just have to suck it up and see how it turns out. Being a HUUUUGE Captain America fan right behind Batman; all I have to say to Chris is this ," DON'T SCREW THIS UP !! You better bring your A game like you did in Sunshine, & you better start lifting like a madman like Bale did in Batman Begins. "
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14  Edited By Green ankh

Well he sure isnt a LEADER.  You look at him and you dont feel he has the inner strength and BOLDNESS Steve has. and no intensity.
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By mimschkin

I agree with A Boy Named Art , if the script is good, and the film is structured well, then I don't really have much of a problem. But I don't know why, but Evans seems like kind of a jerk. Maybe it's just the roles he plays. And I really can't put my finger on what it is about him. Just seems...jerky. That might be completely unprecedented, and he'll probably do a good enough job but I just have this nagging in the back of my mind.
    Also, this is superficial, but are they going to dye his hair? Lol.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Green ankh said:

"Well he sure isnt a LEADER.  You look at him and you dont feel he has the inner strength and BOLDNESS Steve has. and no intensity. "

I could say the same with Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern if and when there will be a sequel in which he has to lead the Green Lantern Corps.  There's a reason why the fan base originally pulled for him to be the more wise-cracking-goofy Flash instead, coz Reynolds is more of a goof-off himself.

Who'd a thought I'd be playing BATMAN a year later?
    But actors are just that, actors.   

If they can act the part, then that's all that matters. 

If comedian Michael Keaton aka Beetlejuice, can play Batman just a year later,then I have no problem.  

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Decept-O

I fail to see him as Steve Rogers, Capt. America.  Regardless of his turn as Human Torch.  I just don't see it.  Maybe I will be proven wrong but I'm NOT enthuisastic about the choice.
    Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he will do a great job.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Tyler Starke said:
    " Can I say again how happy I am that Channing tatum isn't going to play Cap "
    He's a tool.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Moomin123

Come to think of it, Tom is right. We'll all know that Evans was Human Torch so we're not gonna have a hard time telling between the two. But I still would've chosen someone else for the role.
    hellfiregod529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hellfiregod529

Out of all the canidates, This would be the least painful to watch I think, Channing tatum should be locked up for crimes against cinema. Evans is certainly capable of making this work. We'll see if he can actually do it soon enough Me Thinks.

Cosmic Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cosmic Cube
    @Jordanstine said:
    " @Green ankh said: 

But actors are just that, actors.   

If they can act the part, then that's all that matters. 

If co median Michael Keaton aka Beetlejuice, can play Batman just a year later,then I have no problem.      "     
     He made Clean and Sober between Beetlejuice and Batman, it was a transitional period for him. He had already proved himself as dramatic actor. You're right though, nobody gives Robin Williams shit for jumping back in forth in comedic and super dramatic roles like when he did Jumanji and then turned around and did HAMLET a year later. But, you can't compare this Johnny Storm douche to Michael Keaton the badass. This guy is just some forgettable pretty boy actor, Michael Keaton was an American treasure, even when he was just a comedian.  

Michael Keaton: An American Treasure   
       Michael Keaton: An American Treasure   
    Tundra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tundra

Im glad Chris got the role rather than Channing, the mans a tool 

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Personally I am happy with the choice. Sure i would have chosen someone different, but i'm happy that we got him rather then most the choices they had on the "lists" . I think he will do a great job. 
    For those who said they don't see him as a leader, well that actually works for the movie. Because in the movie he learns to be a leader and a symbol and we (the audience) are watching him on his journey to become said leader. So hopefully if done right, you will walk out of that theater thinking "hes the Man for the job." But if not done right, well...then you have all the right to bitch as much as you want ha ha

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Marshal Victory

It could have been much much worse.Id like to know the resons behind others not geting cast in the role.Id guess its marvel 300k flat offer per film. 

The whole hes been human tourch argument doenst bother me.Hes almost the right size for the role.Can pull off the right acent for the role.But is not my pick for the role.Till its offical ofical with a marvel press release ill just wait an see.
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AngelFrost

You can't compare Voice acting and Visual acting  Mr Pinchuk :P 
    & I am one of the people against the Chris Evans casting.  I adore Chris, and I have seen most of his movies and loved every role he has played. But I just think It would have been nicer to see a fresh face in the lead role of Cap, not one that we've seen before and that we'll keep seeing in the comic industry.

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blueninjapanther

He can't play Captain America because he's already Human Torch!!

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@simsey: Hi there, and welcome to the vine! on here we edit our posts so that we do not swear! thanks!!
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stormultt

MMMM chris evans!
    Brickabrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brickabrack

Evens must be perfect for the role. I mean, really really good for it. Just look at all the other actors out there he beat out for the part! He's got the acting chops, he's got the look (IMO), and the best news is they finally finished casting him, so they can actually get to shooting the movie. WOOT
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Him playing Captain America has nothing to do with Human Torch because those movies were so bad I think they are forgetting them completely.  Sort of like the first hulk movie, gone and sort of forgotten.
    So in this he is Captain America and not the Human Torch anymore.

Fuloqwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fuloqwam

Good for Mr Evans.  I look forward to seeing this.   

But can somebody PLEASE explain to me how in the hell they hope to have this movie out by next year if they're just now finalizing the cast?  Set building, choreographing, training, script readings; THEN you get to film.  Then there's editing, re-shoots, marketing and promotion, not to mention the massive CGI that's sure to be used.... 

All of these thing take months even if they're done on a small scale.  I just don't see how this movie is possibly going to be ready by summer 2011.

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bio Guyver

I love the comic book community. You can't make anyone happy.

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nyogtha
    @blueninjapanther: Their rebooting the franchise. He isn't Johnny anymore.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @AngelFrost said:

" I am one of the people against the Chris Evans casting.  I adore Chris, and I have seen most of his movies and loved every role he has played. But I just think It would have been nicer to see a fresh face in the lead role of Cap, not one that we've seen before and that we'll keep seeing in the comic industry. "

THANK YOU !! That's I how I feel about it too. Like you I like Chris & his movies, but a fresh would've been better. 

Another good choice would've been Mark Valley from Human Target. HE definitly has the right look and hell he served in the Gulf War. So he certainly has the experience as a soldier. 

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Bruce Vain said:
    "@AngelFrost said:

" I am one of the people against the Chris Evans casting.  I adore Chris, and I have seen most of his movies and loved every role he has played. But I just think It would have been nicer to see a fresh face in the lead role of Cap, not one that we've seen before and that we'll keep seeing in the comic industry. "

THANK YOU !! That's I how I feel about it too. Like you I like Chris & his movies, but a fresh would've been better. 

Another good choice would've been Mark Valley from Human Target. HE definitly has the right look and hell he served in the Gulf War. So he certainly has the experience as a soldier. 

"

Totaly agree.... but he wasnt in the age group they wanted.An he wasnt to sure about wearing tights.Which i dont think cap will be . should be more the ww2 battle uniform look.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By jakob187

I don't necessarily have a problem with Chris Evans getting the chance to bust his acting and action chops by playing the one and only Steve Rogers.  I have a problem with the fact that Captain America is more than just Captain America.  He's the leader of the Avengers.  Put Chris Evans next to Robert Downey Jr. and tell me you can see Evans LEADING Downey Jr.  It's a hard sell to the comic book crowd.  Hell, Tom...put him next to SAMUEL L. JACKSON AS NICK FURY! 

But...THAT is where the biggest problem lies:  people are seeing the superheroes as the actors, not the actors as the superheroes.  They are thinking in terms of "oh, this person is a big star, and this person is not".  They aren't looking at the characters when they say "Captain America is the leader of the Avengers".  They are looking at Chris Evans as the leader of Robert Downey Jr. and the others following.

Avatar image for thedarkknightfiles
    thedarkknightfiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still too upset to even right anything of real value to this forum.  
    Sean Connery is bankable but you don't see him playing the role of Steve Rogers. Jesus. 

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Yung ANcient One

thats awesome Chuk... can i call u Chuk?...

but all that... still doesnt take away the fact that when i watch The 1st Avenger... im still goin to see Johnny Storm on the film... same with Will Smith... i always see Fresh Prince with Super Powers... Fresh Prince as a Fish... Fresh Prince fighting Aliens... Fresh Prince as the Last Human...(Hancock,SHarks Tale,MIB,I am Legend)...  so thats still a problem for me...

Chris Latta voicing Cobra Commander AND Starscream, huh? 

i never watched Gi Joe... or Transformers(besides the movies)... so i guess my answer is no...
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By welshguy

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but Chris Evans proved he can act  in a serious movie and act as a natural leader in the film Sunshine (Danny Boyle directing in case anyone cares). Whilst the film was dull, plodding and wholly predictable (personal opinion there) Chris Evans managed to be convincing in his role as a scientist (I think he was a scientist, a while since I saw the film) and was one of that movie's few good points. Considering how I had only ever seen in him as the Human Torch (flame on... campness at its best) it was good to see he is capable of more than just being comic-relief girly eye candy. 
    Incidentally, I had a problem with Ryan Reynolds being in Green Lantern. Not because he was Deadpool (couldn't give a monkey's about that) but because he is and will always be a joker in my mind (and without a beard looks too baby faced). But I am willing to give Van Wilder a chance. Let's just see how Evans (and Reynolds) get on before judgement is passed or at the very least wait for the first trailers to come out and show all the cool bits.

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.
    @Jordanstine: @Jordanstine said:
    " @A Boy Named Art said:

Olivia Munn is Spider-Woman

"
    Say NO to Olivia Munn as a super-hero. She can't even act on a show where "no talent" is a requirement. 
    Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lady Tlieso

All these people b*tching about Evans being Captain America are probably the same people who were b*tching about Heath Ledger being the Joker. Narrow minds.

Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lokheit
    @blueninjapanther said:
    " He can't play Captain America because he's already Human Torch!! "
    He wouldn't be the first actor to play two different MARVEL comics characters: 

Ryan Reynolds: Hannibal King (Blade Trinity) & Wade Wilson (Wolverine Origins).  

Maybe Hannibal King isn't so famous as the Human Torch (he appears in the blade series, but i think he appeared in the civil war story arc), but if Evans do the job right (I also see him more like Hawkeye, but will give him a try) the only thing you have to do is to imagine that the "comic" is drawn by one of this artist that make some faces identical (on my mind: Steve Dillon lol)
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#44  Edited By Green ankh

My #1  Mark Freekin' Valley 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.