Off my Mind- Why Winter Soldier works for the Cap sequel works

#1 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

As many Cap fans know by now the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger will be introducing the Winter Soldier. I and many others are having comicasms right now at the thought of Bucky finally coming back as the Soviet super-assassin we all know and love. However, there are some naysayers out there who think this is a bad decision because it feels too rushed since Bucky died just last year in the Captain America film. I want to share my thoughts on why I think introducing the Winter Soldier will work for the Captain America sequel.

The main thing I want to address is the time span between the two Captain America films. Even tho Captain America: The First Avenger came out last year, the Avengers came out this year, and Captain America: Winter Soldier will be coming out two years from now thus only a span of three years have passed since Bucky "died" in the real world. However, in the fictional time span of the movies 70 years or more have passed since Captain America came back from his "death" which took place in the first film. Since coming back he has joined the Avengers to fight the Chitauri and Loki, and only God knows who he will fight between the ending of the Avengers and whatever span of time passes until the Captain America sequel. However, I'm sure Captain America fans such as I, or fans who like Bucky better than Captain America, are wondering "What has happened to Bucky in those 70+ years? Did he truly die when he fell and is just simply rotting? Or was he rescued like in the comics?" The Captain America sequel will answer those questions for us.

Another thing that I want to address is the fact that Bucky if he had not simply been brainwashed, but instead had this deep-seated hatred for Captain America for letting him "die" all those years ago (which I really think is better than being brainwashed, restored, become Captain America, "die" and then come back as the Winter Soldier again), then he could have turned out to be one of Captain America's greatest enemies. It would be the sort of relationship that Batman has with the now resurrected Jason Todd or the more-famous villain known as Two-Face. Like Batman with Jason Todd, Captain America would see the Winter Soldier as a result of one of his greatest failures, and thus each battle Captain America has with his former friend would bring great emotion turmoil to him. The only enemy that would top Winter Soldier if this were the case would be the one responsible which in this case would be the Red Skull, who may or may not be dead.

Well "that's all I have say about that" let me know what you think.

#2 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a good idea.I just want to see how Captain america will try to adapt to modern day.

#3 Posted by Cap10nate (2670 posts) - - Show Bio

@vandinejd_1991: I think they will stick with the brainwashing story. I hope so at least because I don't think he would feel bitter about the death because he saw Cap trying to get him. It makes the Winter Soldier a better character anyways since after he is released from the brainwashing effects, he has to suffer from from the actions performed. Plus, he is truly a hero which should be shown in the films and not completely changed (I am one of those people that you mentioned that likes Bucky better than Cap).

I think they will have him found by the Germans and brought back instead of the Russians. They seem like they are running with the Hawkeye /Widow relationship. His relationship with Natasha is the most important part of him being found by the Russians so if they are not going to expand upon that in the movies, the it could be cut out. I think the Red Skull will be present in the US as Dell Rusk and utilize the Winter Soldier for his goals. I don't think they could develop a 2 - 2:30 hour movie properly if they include Lukin and Kronos.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.