Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

My problem with Captain America: First Avenger.

VanTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VanTesla

Captain America is a good action comic movie, but the problem that holds it back from being good to great is the pacing and drawn out begging act of the film. The action was great even when it became a little silly with Cap kicking an amored soldier 20 feet in the air, the dialogue was decent for the comic adaptation, and the side characters were forgettable. Hugo Weaving was perfect as the Red Skull, Tommy Lee Jones was fun as Colonel Chester, Dominic Cooper played well as Howard Anthony Stark, and Hayley Atwell played a subpar Peggy Carter (likely due to script).  More details later, need rest....
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024
    nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nnotdead

i too thought the beginning dragged on a bit too long. the fact that all the mission Cap goes on (minus the first and last) are done in a montage was also a big let down. wanted to see him and his team interact a bit more.  liked all the characters in the movie especially Tommy Lee Jones. Peggy Carter  was done well in the film, i thought.  she was played as a strong female role, but not like Hollywood does a lot by making the woman act like men. no she was just a strong woman. really liked her character, though i couldn't get too into her and Caps relationship. knowing what was going to happen kinda of killed it.

overall i liked the movie, but i went in hoping for the best comic movie to date. i did not get that, but i guess thats my own fault for over hyping the movie for myself. would recommend to people for sure.

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By apg103

I liked it. But i thought Thor was better.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle  Online
    @VanTesla: @Gambit1024: @nnotdead: @nnotdead

Pretty much agree with everyones gripes

Myself,...I expected more since everyone was raving about....I just had to facepalm at the montage......how corny...It's not the 80's anymore.

It was a good movie, but I thought X-men First Class and Thor were superior for several reasons
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Hunter114

I thought that the Red Skull was a little under-developed as a character and the graphics on pre-rebirth Steve, while impressive were a little off, because of the huge head and small body and I also thought that the ending was over a little too quickly, I'd liked to have had the actual freezing and / or unfreezing

CaptainRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainRodgers

Damn you Americans !
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @nnotdead: I think they were trying to leave room for possible sequels set in WW2 in between his origin and getting frozen as for the end I'm glad they took care of it prior to the Avengers movie because they have a lot to cover there and Cap's return would just be too much
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

The only part I didnt like is that long USO sequence. -cringes-

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Kairan1979
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Kairan1979 said:
    1. More screen time for Howling Commandos.
    2. Steve/Peggy romance looks forced for me (unlike Bruce Banner/Betty Ross from Incredible Hulk, for example).
    3. The phrase about
    ruined the ending, which was good, very Twelve-like.
    How did it ruin the ending? Personally I liked that line since it gave off the feeling that Steve still hadn't really registered that "hey, you've been asleep for 70 years" just yet. How the Avengers trailer started we could start to see that being a "man out of time" is starting to take its toll on Steve as he punches a punching-bag across the room.
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MrMiracle77

Has anyone ever read the short story "Beware of the Dog" by Roald Dahl?  The ending reminds me a lot of that.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By fps_dean

I thought the Red Skull needed to be more evil and obsess with killing Cap more like the comics.. you know build up the relationship to show that these two are bitter enemies more.  That was my biggest problem really.  Granted, they only have limited time but in the comics the two met a  lot and whatnot.  That was my biggest problem.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Kairan1979

The scene in a camp in the middle of the movie. Colonel Philips tells Peggy that they searched everywhere for Cap but found nothing. Question is - how they managed to miss 400 armed men and a tank?

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By G Bird

I didn't have any problems with it, I loved it

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By iLLituracy

What difference does it make if it was done before or after the credits? 

No one really stays after the credits roll, don't you think if they saved his revival for after the credits that they would have been confused when it came to the Avengers?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By daredevil21134
    @G Bird said:
    I didn't have any problems with it, I loved it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.