Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Marvel NOW!: Get a Look at Captain America’s New Costume

Avatar image for underdogs_overboard
    UnderDogs_OverBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

BOOTS! Gotta' LOOOVE THE BOOTS *Michael Keaton In his BeetleJuice Voice*

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Nope, that's no Cap. That's a G.I.JOE.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By tg1982

First, I just want to say I love Cap's original costume, but, if it has to change, then whatever, but is this the final design?

I like this one the most (I guess) because it's most like the original, just a different helmet, gloves, pant things, and boots (which are the one things I don't mind being updated).

No Caption Provided

This one is okay too, i guess.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Fugly

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By DMC

So after my complaining for a while now that Cap's costume needs to be tweaked, they go all out and change the entire look.

Like others have said: WAY TOO BUSY

If they just tweaked Bryan Hitches WWII Cap in "Captain America Reborn" I think the costume would have turned out better.

No Caption Provided
    wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By wdchefdave

Sucks!

Just like Superman's new outfit.

Let's just throw bomber jackets on everyone and give them belts with pockets that are NEVER used!!!

(Have you EVER seen a hero actually take something out of their belt? Batman does not count because he has always had and used his utility belt... no one else.)

jcohn6354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By jcohn6354

If it's not broke then don't fix it

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By mettlekm

@Deranged Midget: Exactly. He's not a superhero who wears tights, he's a super soldier who kicks butt!

The_Deadly_Koi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By The_Deadly_Koi

Im really diggin the new look.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By Icemizer

Far to overcomplicated and silly. Little barbs on the backs of the wrists. Senseless straps around the thighs. Lace up boots. Kneepads, but no elbow pads? Back of the neck left unprotected. Overall a desgin that harkens back to the leather clad, strap wearing, horrors of the '90's.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#161  Edited By Grey56

Dear Marvel - please stop this madness. I have no idea what your market research is telling you about how your demographics will receive this new line of wares - but if someone, somewhere within your ivory tower can hear this; know that all of it sounds deplorable.

spidergirl2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By spidergirl2012

I'm loving it!!! I will now start to read marvel comics because of this change.

BB

Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Druid

glad to finally see Cap in a non-spandex costume.

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164  Edited By Sekele

Not bad, but will there be OTHER "Marvel Now" titles besides Avengers and X-Man?

jaredbright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By jaredbright

Is it still the Heroic Age? What was the Heroic Age, again? Marvel keeps starting over, not only with numbers. They're going to do it again in a year or two after this.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By ThanosIsMad

I would've kept the cowl, but otherwise it looks fine. Captain America: Arkham City.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#167  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @jcohn6354 said:

If it's not broke then don't fix it

cbrown10_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By cbrown10_

I am a fan of the body armor in the first image, but not of the helmet. Something just bugs me about it's straight-ahead look. Now the helmet in the second image is much more pleasing in my opinion.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#169  Edited By IrishX

Once again....  

No Caption Provided
    SuperStarKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By SuperStarKirby

I like it. Some people really hate change, here. But let's be honest - the only one who really shouldn't change his costume (permanently) is Spider-Man. Even then, if the redesign is really good, I may reconsider.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By JamDamage

Since I really got into Captain America thru the Ultimate Universe I don't care if he has wing tips. I love the chin strap. I'm not to crazy about the whole helmet design, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the 3rd one down. The circle eye holes look stupid. I think the craziest part of the whole Mavel Now thing going is Captain America is going to be on a team where he is not the leader.

CraigWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By CraigWayne

They should've gave him that costume the Skrull Captain America wore in Avengers:EMH

SeanNOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SeanNOLA

Countdown to them changing it back...I give it til July 2013.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#174  Edited By The Mast

I'm reading fewer and fewer Marvel books.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By DMC

@ThreadPool said:

Am I the only who misses the "Bucky-Cap" costume?

nope

FuZySLiPeRz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By FuZySLiPeRz

I like it a lot.. very modern

Darcsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Darcsteel

I hate to say it but it looks like they are aiming to capture the recognition from the movie fans. the helmet is pulled straight form the movies so he's getting the Nick Fury treatment (moving something to pull movie fans to the comics). Otherwise I dont have a problem with heroes changing their pants every now and then and I like it for the most part. Still where is Dark Hawk

CaptainMexico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#178  Edited By CaptainMexico

The DC New 52 seems much more interesting now.

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By crazyflashfan11

@Don_Jay said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@elayem98 said:

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

The thing about Cap is even if he's in a 'dorky spandex' costume, that's not what matters about him, but the hero and the symbol (crap that sounded like some PR BS). But you have to understand that for most people this isn't THE Captain america costume and never will be. This is just a fad to cash in on the popularity of the movies and the trend to make superheroes look realistic.

I understand. Im sure for longtime readers like you the hero and the symbol and all that about cap will still be there, only difference is now cap can get more new readers with an outfit that isn't dated, and (IMO) look less dorky.

The thing is movies never seem to be able to get more new readers and the changes made in the comics to make them more appealing to the moviegoers usually ends up alienating long time readers. Most people who goes to watch Iron Man, or the Avengers would never pick up a comic book especially not on a regular basis. If the movies and the changes like this would make people who never picked up an issue before do so, the sales wouldn't be down like they are now and we wouldn't see a series cancellation every other week or a renumbering initiative every six months.

@Don_Jay said:

haha actually i got into comics after watching THe Dark Knight.

I went to barnes and noble like a week after watching TDK and saw batman: the long halloween TPB, haha i thought it was nerdy at the time, but i bought it anyway, loved it, and now I'm a comic reader, spending a small fortune on as many TPBs or HCs as my money will allow. I've been trying to break into Marvel comics for awhile since I've always been DC, and Marvel NOW will most likely let me.

Awwwww... you're so adorable and naive (minor offense intended). You might be one of the few exceptions, but the fact is, that moviegoers rarely become regular readers and represent a small part in the total number of readers. It's great for you that you tried and liked the comic book experience and I hope you'll be able to get into marvel easily in Now, but chances are against you. Continuity won't change the stories that led to this point will be there especially the ones after 2000 and Bendis' events. If Nova and Rocky will truly play as big a role in the new initiative as the execs say, you probably will have to catch up on space stories starting with Annihilation and everything after.

Exactly.No offense but the number of so the so called mythical movie goer turned comic book reader is negligible.Changing a costume is all well and good but why make it like the ones in the movie which in turn is based off the Ultimate U one? I'm no Cap fan but I just think is silly as not just costumes but continuity itself seems to be changing drastically :(

There probably would be no reason for him to read annihilation (apart from the awesomeness :)) to catch up on any thing as the new Nova - samwhathisface - is no Rich.I miss Rich but Noooooo Loeb had to take it and do his usual thing to it.

He might might not have to read it, but everything in the cosmic part is so tied together starting with Annihilation that it might be strongly recommended (even out of sheer awesomeness). Btw Rich "died" (yes with the quotation, since there's no permanent death except for uncle Ben and Batman's parents [hope I didn't jinx anything]) in the Thanos Ignition which was done by DnA. I miss Rich too, he became a great character after Annihilation and I miss the ongoing Nova. What I don't understand about this Samgengericguy is how he got to be a Nova. It was stated clearly in Thanos imperative #6 and the Devastation one-shot afterwards that Rich drained all the Nova force from Quasar and the probies and he Worldmind shut down completely after the Fault was sealed and they couldn't awaken it. Ergo there's no Nova force in the universe which is kinda a requirement for a Nova corpsman. Plus who is this Samicantrememberhislastname guy? He wasn't a probie, so what's his connection to the Corps? When i first saw him in Point one I honestly hoped that is was Robbie, that he figured out a way to reboot the Worldmind and restore a small portion of the force. But no, they had to bring in a new character who as it turned out to be is based on the Nova in the USM cartoon just to capitalize on that. This is what I hate. Leave the comics alone, don't try to make them like the movies and cartoons, because it doesn't work. Draw inspiration them for awesome stuff like the Avengers movie, but don't try to mash them together. Oh and I still hope Rich will return soon which might be implied by the one of the Now teasers that shows (a) Star Lord, which I really hope is not another new character hust connect it to the GotG movie or something, but the real one and if he could return somehow, there might be hope for Rich. http://marvel.com/images/gallery/story/19038/who_will_shape_the_future_of_marvel_now/image/927273.

Thanos is back,Starlord is back,the Nova force exists on this side of the Universe again.The way I see it Rich is back but will probably take a back seat to new fake Nova just because Loeb wants to push him. I also agree with you on drawing from them.There is really no need to mash them together (which is what Marvel NOW is).They have seen the Avengers movie be a success so the next logical (stupid) step from Marvel is to try and merge 616 to the shitty movie universe.I hope to God Rich returns but deep down I doubt he will.

i just think its funny that this convo is so long, you can barely even see the original post.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By DMC

Oh great, I think the first redesign is actually growing on me.

The second redesign, the one shown on Uncanny Avengers, still looks bad imo.

I_Am_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By I_Am_Dark

The only thing they needed to bring from the movies into the comics was Agent Coulson. Stuff like Fury's "secret son" and this Cap costume belong in the Ultimate universe.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#182  Edited By jrock85

Not feeling it.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#183  Edited By leokearon

More movie stealing

WobblySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By WobblySnake

Well I think this is great. It always felt so jarring watching Cap strut around in his god damn pirate boots when everyone else's costumes were at least mildly more modern. What I don't understand is why they didn't just use Bucky's Captain America costume as the redesign because, honestly, that suit was awesome and this one seems a little too over the top.

Don_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Don_Jay

@crazyflashfan11: yeah, we went on for a bit longer than usual :D

PScully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By PScully

Why don't they just have Iron Man design him a new form-fitting uniform if the suits at Marvel feel they need to change something? This thing looks atrocious!! The helmet will impede his peripheral vision. Boots with VELCRO??? The electrician gloves don't do it justice either. It doesn't look the least bit functional for the amount of movement Cap needs to be effective in battle.

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Kurolegacy

I'm not really into the helmet look but I can live with it. The thing I really hate though is the chin strap. It's always been one of the things I hated the most with Ultimate Cap.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By DMC

I'll admit that I've always wanted Caps costume to look more modern. But the more I think about what Cap is, his redesign should necessarily resemble the look of any regular soldier.

He is the last Super Solder after all, like the last.......Spartan (117)?

Does that mean he should look like he's from outer space? Hell no.

_Genesis_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By _Genesis_

Looks bad ass

wildcardcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By wildcardcomics

You know, I tried to draw this and time myself, but it was just too hard and it wasn't done "now"...it took forever. So I redraw it and this is my take on a Revamped Costume for Captain America.

http://wildcardcomics.deviantart.com/#/d5945c4

wildcardcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By wildcardcomics
    Anyways, not sure if the link worked but this is my Marvel Now Captain after getting frustrated with drawing their version.
    Anyways, not sure if the link worked but this is my Marvel Now Captain after getting frustrated with drawing their version.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yeah that doesn't look inspired from the Avengers movie at all now >_> Seriously...are we in a day and age in which spandex is out and body armor's in? I suppose that's been the new paradigm since 2005 with the release of Batman Begins. Not to say I don't like the look at all because I do.

tamabone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 62

#193  Edited By tamabone

There are some costumes that should NEVER be changed. Captain America's is one of them. This new design would be great for the Ultimate universe but totally sucks for the REAL Captain America.

fkk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#194  Edited By fkk1984

I don´t like it, it´s a crap. The Ultimate universe was created for this kind of stuff; modern look, realistic costume, movie style characters. The original universe is about fantasy and spandex…

awesomeoclock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By awesomeoclock

Looks like a mix of Ultimates-costume and Movieverse. Original was best, I think... I:

johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#196  Edited By johnnie619

i like it really, i loved buckys suit and was hopeing steve would keep the same look or somthing new. though i may have t get used to the helmet i stil think it looks good,i just hpe not every new look is based on the ultimate/movie look then id hate it.

ill wil say id like to see wings on the helmet rarther than those

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By avantegardener

I think it looks great.

ChrisAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By ChrisAngel

Personally I dig Cap looking a bit more militaristic. He's a military man for christ's sake. Let him look the part.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Time_Phantom

I'm more of an Ultimates fan (I still say they made a great choice to take a lot of elements from that in the movie) But I like this costume. It has a lot going on, it is a little busy. Its a concept drawing so I'm thinking it'll be simpler when it comes into action.

crazynhel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By crazynhel

So at what point do they decide "Why the hell would a soldier still use a shield?"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.