Marvel NOW!: Get a Look at Captain America’s New Costume

Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since Marvel released the first teaser image for their Marvel NOW! initiative following Avengers vs. X-Men, fans have wondered what was up with Captain America’s new duds. Now you can get a closer look.

MTV Geek got the official scoop from Marvel editor Tom Brevoort, who detailed for them the design process between artists Jerome Opena, who will be handling AVENGERS with writer Jonathan Hickman, and John Cassaday, who is joining Rick Remender on UNCANNY AVENGERS.

He’s an excerpt from Brevoort about the creative process:

There wasn’t a whole lot of back-and-forth, to be honest. We started with Jerome, who’s got a strong relationship and partnership with the writer, Rick Remender, and whom we thought could deliver the kind of thing we were looking for. Jerome went away and did, I think, three rounds of design before we landed where we wanted to be. Then, when John signed on to do UNCANNY AVENGERS, especially having such a strong connection to Captain America, he asked if he could tweak the outfit a bit—primarily restoring the chain mail feel to the torso, which was fine with us.

To me, it looks like drawing the new Cap outfit is going to be quite a pain in the tuckus for artists. The suit kind of reminds me of what Captain America’s outfit would look like if he went to the same tailor as Bruce Wayne for his Dark Knight film costumes – a whole lot of individual armor plates everywhere.

Even Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada had some difficulty rendering the suit for the single promo image he did, says Brevoort.

I’m sure that when other artists draw the suit, there’ll be some individual modifications as well-Joe Q mentioned that it was a bitch to draw when he was doing the MARVEL NOW! promo image, so we figured that different guys would find ways to streamline it in different ways.

Here are a few more concept images of Cap’s new outfit. What do you guys think? Personally, I love his new bootstraps. They remind me of a pair of classic Air Jordan XVIs I used to own. Cap is now rolling in style.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

#1 Posted by Tellumo (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Velcro has been noted...

#2 Posted by MagmaGazer (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Farewell real wing-tips.......Gonna take a wee while to adjust to this new mainstream cap which is so Ultimate/Movie inspired. Ah well.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34023 posts) - - Show Bio

So movie costume then?

#4 Posted by Mucklefluga (2596 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America? Oh, i thought you said Captain Turtle. Bad-ass boots tho

#5 Posted by jubeiyagyuX (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a bit too busy, which detracts from the iconic nature of the character...basically the same issue as the New 52 redesigns.

Moderator
#7 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

NO MORE TIGHT. NO MORE TIGHTS.

(Why am I the only one chanting?)

#8 Posted by pspin (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate you Ultimate Marvel for ruining costumes and characters by influencing the movies too much.

At least the battle armor style isn't completely awful, the helmet could use a bit of work though

#9 Posted by Jaymundo (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I like the new look, very modern and piratical.

#10 Posted by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Its like....they designed Captain America for the DC New 52s lol! I dont know, im not a huge fan of Cap to be honest but i think it looks okay

#11 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:
So movie costume then?
yup
#12 Posted by raptorsrevenge (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. I think its time to finally retire the old costume. I loved the Bucky version that was introduced a few years ago; I was disappointed to see Rogers revert back to the classic costume after Fear Itself.

#13 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid movie influence, it was better before. Nobody likes that Dark Knight movie Batman costume, idiots. It looks more like normal clothes with Chris Evan's no-winged child's helmet.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm digging it. Now he actually looks like a soldier.

Moderator
#15 Edited by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I just see Ultimate Cap. One thing that is killing me about this is the creators want to give us something more modern, or realistic. Um, we're reading super hero comic books. These characters can only exist in our minds and on the pages. I want SURreal, y'know what I mean?

#16 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like a cheap gijoe knock-off

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7348 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite busy. I prefer more simple designs. Keeps the character timeless.

#18 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

no sir, i dont like it

#19 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no problem with the new outfit except the helmet. I really like the classic Cap mask with the goofy wingtips. This one is too much like the Ultimate/movie helmet and honestly it might be a bit confusing. But the rest of the outfit looks something a soldier would wear as a uniform and it looks good imho.

#20 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks great, tho I feel bad for those who have to draw it. It does appear to be a lot of work. I will miss the wings. This is how he should look in the Ultimate Universe now instead of that armor plating he has in Divided We Fall.

#21 Posted by gethere (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Well... it is modern to say to the least just I don't know how I feel about some parts of it though.

#22 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

To all the people starting a rage over this: give it some time (to events tops) and he'll be back in the old costume...

#23 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

(Sigh) First a black Nick Fury and now this. The Ultimate Comics/movie universe's impact on mainstream Marvel is really doing my head in.

#24 Posted by BritishMonkey (326 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not too terribley bad

#25 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't love it more, so cool looking, so much less dorky and spandexy compared to before

#26 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

#27 Posted by paulcousins (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

NO MORE TIGHT. NO MORE TIGHTS.

(Why am I the only one chanting?)

I'm with you I think its a nice upgrade, i liked the heroic age Steve Rogers costume; I missed the WW2 uniform in the avenger's movie as well, this seems more millitary/armored. I would also love to see a collapsible/ photon shield revisited!

#28 Posted by _slim_ (13308 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, it's alright.

Online
#29 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

Nobody likes that Dark Knight movie Batman costume, idiots.

I like that costume.

its much better than the one in comics when TDK came out, all spandexy and underwear on the outside..ew

i love the Dark Knight costume

#30 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it

#31 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! His current costume is 70 years out of date! :P

#32 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

The thing about Cap is even if he's in a 'dorky spandex' costume, that's not what matters about him, but the hero and the symbol (crap that sounded like some PR BS). But you have to understand that for most people this isn't THE Captain america costume and never will be. This is just a fad to cash in on the popularity of the movies and the trend to make superheroes look realistic.

#33 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

The thing about Cap is even if he's in a 'dorky spandex' costume, that's not what matters about him, but the hero and the symbol (crap that sounded like some PR BS). But you have to understand that for most people this isn't THE Captain america costume and never will be. This is just a fad to cash in on the popularity of the movies and the trend to make superheroes look realistic.

I understand. Im sure for longtime readers like you the hero and the symbol and all that about cap will still be there, only difference is now cap can get more new readers with an outfit that isn't dated, and (IMO) look less dorky.

#34 Posted by ARMIV2 (8720 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

It's a bit too busy, which detracts from the iconic nature of the character...basically the same issue as the New 52 redesigns.

Kinda getting that vibe off of it too...

#35 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4770 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone tried too hard.

#36 Posted by SyIar (405 posts) - - Show Bio

It's about damn time.

#37 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12064 posts) - - Show Bio

This just in: Marvel changes it name to "Marvie (Marvel Movie)."

#38 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2284 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about this. I don't know if he needed a new costume at all, and especially one that looks like the movie or the Ultimate version. I like the classic, with slight modifications and adjustments without adding and changing too much.

#39 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I'm digging it. Now he actually looks like a soldier.

same here.

#40 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty shitty.

#41 Posted by Don_Jay (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

The thing about Cap is even if he's in a 'dorky spandex' costume, that's not what matters about him, but the hero and the symbol (crap that sounded like some PR BS). But you have to understand that for most people this isn't THE Captain america costume and never will be. This is just a fad to cash in on the popularity of the movies and the trend to make superheroes look realistic.

I understand. Im sure for longtime readers like you the hero and the symbol and all that about cap will still be there, only difference is now cap can get more new readers with an outfit that isn't dated, and (IMO) look less dorky.

The thing is movies never seem to be able to get more new readers and the changes made in the comics to make them more appealing to the moviegoers usually ends up alienating long time readers. Most people who goes to watch Iron Man, or the Avengers would never pick up a comic book especially not on a regular basis. If the movies and the changes like this would make people who never picked up an issue before do so, the sales wouldn't be down like they are now and we wouldn't see a series cancellation every other week or a renumbering initiative every six months.

#42 Posted by jcbart (341 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the design, but it's far too complex for a comic book costume. Artists will be tearing their hair out.

Cassaday's tweaks suit the comic world more. Practical, redesigned, but quite simple and iconic.

#43 Posted by Narok24 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Too much change. No classic feel whatsoever. Feels too "high-fi".

That being said, as long as Steve Rodgers is still Steve Rodgers, he can wear whatever he wants.

#44 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@Don_Jay said:

@elayem98 said:

@jubeiyagyuX said:

Yes Marvel ,make him look like the movie version for no reason whatsoever

I'm sure the reason is to attract new readers, so when they pick up a cap comic for the first time they don't put it right back down because he is in dorky spandex

The thing about Cap is even if he's in a 'dorky spandex' costume, that's not what matters about him, but the hero and the symbol (crap that sounded like some PR BS). But you have to understand that for most people this isn't THE Captain america costume and never will be. This is just a fad to cash in on the popularity of the movies and the trend to make superheroes look realistic.

I understand. Im sure for longtime readers like you the hero and the symbol and all that about cap will still be there, only difference is now cap can get more new readers with an outfit that isn't dated, and (IMO) look less dorky.

The thing is movies never seem to be able to get more new readers and the changes made in the comics to make them more appealing to the moviegoers usually ends up alienating long time readers. Most people who goes to watch Iron Man, or the Avengers would never pick up a comic book especially not on a regular basis. If the movies and the changes like this would make people who never picked up an issue before do so, the sales wouldn't be down like they are now and we wouldn't see a series cancellation every other week or a renumbering initiative every six months.

haha actually i got into comics after watching THe Dark Knight.

I went to barnes and noble like a week after watching TDK and saw batman: the long halloween TPB, haha i thought it was nerdy at the time, but i bought it anyway, loved it, and now I'm a comic reader, spending a small fortune on as many TPBs or HCs as my money will allow. I've been trying to break into Marvel comics for awhile since I've always been DC, and Marvel NOW will most likely let me.

#45 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

It is very reminiscent of the movie costume, it's alright I guess...

#46 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I in the minority if I say I like the re-design?

#47 Posted by neiliusprime (255 posts) - - Show Bio

that 3rd photo of him looks legit!

#48 Posted by TheCommissar (143 posts) - - Show Bio

It's okay. A bit excessive, though. I can't imagine the artists are going to have fun putting that much detail into every panel Cap is in.

#49 Posted by Ludo (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, now they're making the comic book from the movie?

#50 Posted by Z3RO180 (6633 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Your not the only one mate

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.