Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Marvel is replacing Steve Rogers soon. Guess who?

• 56 results
    Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

#1  Edited By Teerack

Source

MARVEL TEASES A NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA

Posted: 8 hours ago | Updated: 7 hours ago

Comic BooksJK Parkin, Assistant Editor64EmailPrint

Another character will soon suit up in Captain America's red, white and blue uniform, and a teaser posted onMarvel's Tumblr account Friday indicates the person behind the mask will be revealed on Monday:

No Caption Provided

Marvel teases that a new Captain America will be revealed on Monday.

"Who will be Marvel comics’ NEW #CaptainAmerica? Learn more this Monday on Marvel.com! #4thOfJuly," the post reads.

As "Captain America" writer Rick Remenderdiscussed with Comic Book Resources last month, Steve Rogers had the super soldier serum sucked out of his body by the villain Iron Nail in issue #21.

"Steve is no longer going to be in the field," Remender said. "That will lead to some interesting changes in the next three to four issues as we discover who will be on the field."

This isn't the first time someone besides Rogers has worn the uniform, as five other men have also worn the mantle, including Isaiah Bradley, William Nasland, William Burnside, John Walker and James Barnes. Barnes, the most recent, wore the uniform after Rogers was assassinated following "Civil War."

Update: As several readers have noted, the cover to "Avengers" #35, which shows the Avengers eight months in the future, features a different Captain America who looks suspiciously like the Falcon:

"Avengers" #35 cover by Jim Cheung

No Caption Provided

When asked who exactly was on the cover, Executive Editor Tom Brevoort said he wouldn't confirm who any of the characters were.

Who do you think will be the new Capetian America? I'm thinking it will either be Bucky Barnes since he's not in the image or it could possibly be Ian Zola.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Would be cool as Buck, but I doubt it since it has been done.

I myself have no clue.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Could be nice to make it a woman for a change. :)

Not sure which woman though.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Teerack
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

Could be nice to make it a woman for a change. :)

Not sure which woman though.

I don't think the silhouette in that image looks very female... but maybe.

Seeing Cyclops in the background of the image sorta sucks. I would have loved to see Cyclops as the new Captain America.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bucky. maybe? not sure. Marvel's getting overly confusing now. this whole 8 month jump and then the irreverent 100th anniversary stuff is just annoying. They don't have all their series' even on the same track right now! they are all going in a million different directions and 'when' this whole big Marvel event is made out, I feel like the series' won't even have any involvement. I mean take Infinity for example. That was a relatively big thing(disappointing though) and it got a few tie-ins and that was it. I couldn't get the vibe that it was important. If they screw this up by not involving pretty much every series in this 'supposed crisis event,' and they pull something big on everybody and expect every reader to understand the quo, It might be possible that Marvel could hurt from that. Although I'm not even sure. Tie-ins or .NOW issues seem to be the new thing and it kind of annoys me they can't just put this in the main series numbering.

I'm getting sidetracked, but anyways, as for candidates I have Bucky and falcon on the top. will the suit be different? that's my question because the Marvel NOW suit looked too combat-y for my taste. but if Marvel is still with this whole NOW! initiative then I'm sure it probably would be. I mean will NOW! ever....end? I just thought this was a 6 month maybe a year thing. But Marvel seems to have no plans of quitting now, because they are already on to ALL NEW Marvel NOW!

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait so doesn't the picture essentially prove it'll be Falcon?

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Who was the kid from Young Avengers? Patriot?

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how long this will last for. I don't think you can top Bucky as far as not Steve Captain Americas go. I wonder if they end up choosing someone that people would never have guessed. As someone else mentioned, a female Captain would be a good way to shake things up.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My first thought is, what the hell is Remender doing with Cap? But, I think about it, and this could be a good thing. Changing things up with a new Cap for a short period, because let's be honest...Marvel will quickly put things back to normal. But I would like to see Bucky back in the red, white and blue.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: It kind of seems that way, but would they be using a teaser silhouette if that cover was already out there?

@teerack: Cyclops seems like a pretty bold choice. I don't read X-Men comics, so I can't give a proper opinion on what that would be like.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twentyfive

SMH. Instead of giving the Falcon his own ongoing comic in time for Cap 2, they make him assume someone else's superhero persona.

This sad state of the industry.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

My first thought is, what the hell is Remender doing with Cap? But, I think about it, and this could be a good thing. Changing things up with a new Cap for a short period, because let's be honest...Marvel will quickly put things back to normal. But I would like to see Bucky back in the red, white and blue.

That is what I was thinking too.It will go back to normal or at least some what normal.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teerack

These are my top candidates.

• Havok
    • Ian Zola
    • Falcon
    • Bucky Barns
    • Patriot
    • Johnny Storm(Recently became powerless, so it could be an interesting change for him)
    • Flash Thompson
    • Nick Fury Jr.
    • Hawkeye
    • ALL NEW TIME DISPLACES STEVE ROGERS FROM THE PAST!!
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Yeah, could be him. Maybe they just messed up their schedule.

I don't read Captain America, but if it turns out to be a woman in the suit, does anyone think it could be this Jet Black character? Apparently her and Falcon will have big roles to play.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Teerack
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

@teerack: Cyclops seems like a pretty bold choice. I don't read X-Men comics, so I can't give a proper opinion on what that would be like.

This right here is why I think it could have been amazing.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is obviously Falcon. MetH knew it be Falcon before He finisHed reading tHe OP. Now, after reading tHe OP, MetH knows for sure it's Falcon rocking tHe sHield.

If it ends up not being Falcon, MetH will be surprised.

-ABstract4$$#073-

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Teerack

@feartheliving: Yeah, could be him. Maybe they just messed up their schedule.

I don't read Captain America, but if it turns out to be a woman in the suit, does anyone think it could be this Jet Black character? Apparently her and Falcon will have big roles to play.

I really don't think that would make sense for Jet.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to be someone who could handle the shield, I remember Bucky said he could only because of his metal arm and I don't think they're gonna use him again like this. I think it's gonna be Patriot and hope it will turn out at least decent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bucky. Again.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait let me guess, Steve Rogers Jr. aka Black Captain America. You know, because they replaced Nick Fury with his black "son" Nick Fury Jr that looks like Ultimate Nick Fury. *SMH*

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Falcon could be a good choice. For me it would be Nick Fury Jr.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely agree with this, man! Remender's Cap has done absolutely nothing for me- nor has Winter Soldier, the Bitter March. But I have to admit I did see this coming & from the Avengers image, I bet it'll be Falcon as the new Cap. Though I'm in agreement with you- it would be AWESOME to see Bucky wielding the shield again, but knowing Remender's writing it won't be. As much as I love Sam- & as a long-time Cap fan, I do- esp. written by Brubaker- he isn't the type to be Cap. He's his own man, with his own energy. Mark Waid wrote him briefly as Cap- so I feel it's been there & done that all the way around- the new Cap thing has also been done before, & in a FAR superior fashion by Brubaker using Bucky- in all honesty, I wish Bucky in the stars & stripes would've lasted a lil' longer, with Steve doing the S.H.I.E.L.D. thing, but it didn't. I feel this is just another unsurprising lackluster move to Remender's lackluster run. To me, there' only one other person besides Steve that could EVER be Captain America- & if anything happens to Steve, SHOULD be Captain America- the only other person I will ever accept as Captain America & call Captain America- & that's BUCKY freakin' BARNES. And he proved he earned the shield, & the star-spangled mantle, in spades, through blood, sweat & tears. I think Remender is just taking Steve out of the equation to make his version of the Red Skull(or is that RedSlaught or OnSkull?) more of a threat for the Axis event- yawn. Wake me when Remender's run is over. Oh, and one more thing: way to go Marvel- announcing you're taking Steve Rogers, comicdom's greatest American hero, out of the game right here at Independence Day. Good job.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damnit Remender!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lensnart:

I wouldn't use those exact words but- I agree. I mean, WTH Remender? But I;ve been saying this his entire run on Cap & WS: The Bitter March.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obviously Falcon.

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lensnart: Remender, what the %#&@? Yeah, I also guess Falcon. But God I wish it could be Bucky. Dammit, I was waiting for him to somehow wear the mantle again. I can accept, and love, only two Caps: Steve, and Bucky. As much as I like Falcon, I want Bucky so bad to be Cap again. Not that I don't like him being Winter Soldier, but as a ghost op now, his appearances are rare... Damn, he's been awesome Cap.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Lvenger

It's obviously going to be Falcon. The teaser image of Avengers 35 only confirms that reality. And it's another stupid decision on Remander's part to add to his already lackluster Captain America run. Falcon has always been his own man and own identity so putting him in the red, white and blue is nowhere near as interesting as putting Bucky in the Captain America costume. Bucky was connected enough to Steve to be an obvious choice, skilled enough to take on the mantle and different enough to make things interesting for the reader. All the while being written by one of the best writers Marvel had at the time. Unlike this scenario where it's being written by one of the worst, overrated writers Marvel have currently.

Furthermore, Captain America was died and replaced less than a decade ago so it's absurd to perform the same trick again taking Steve out of the costume and putting someone else in there. People complain that DC are retreading old ground but this is concrete proof Marvel are doing the same. They've killed off and replaced Thor and Spider-Man in the space of a decade to.

Clearly, this is a marketing change that reeks of unoriginality only brought about to generate exaggerated hype and money. It's sad that Marvel think repeating the same thing in the space of a couple of years is good PR and treatment of their characters. If they wanted to give Falcon more attention, give him his own series or promote him more in The Avengers. Not having him take other an iconic mantle that doesn't make sense for Falcon to be in the first place.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

I know people use that conversation as an example of the "Cyclops was right" bandwagon but for me, that only proves Cyclops was all the more wrong. And it was akin to the pot calling the kettle black in all honesty.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my bets in Eli Bradley or the Falcon

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Those two covers only prove one thing - the next Captain America would be Falcon. This seems to be Marvel and Remender trying to push Falcon to be more popular because after all he did star in a Captain America movie this year. First of all, all of this doesn't make any sense or at least it isn't original since Steve was out of the mantle not that long ago and the other thing is that Falcon is one of the worst choices for the Captain America mantle.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hawkeye?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@_atomikill_:

Bucky Will replace him on Movie Universe. So maybe it will happen again on comics.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Krypton-115

Cap's other best bud Falcon would make a great Cap. Otherwise I think Cap's student and friend Hakweye would make an interesting Captain America, he is one of the few people that can properly handle the shield. A female Cap would also be a very exiting change up.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

lol. Okay. Not like I was still reading his crappy Cap run anyway

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Baron Zemo.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More than anything do I hope it's Bucky but I know it's not. It's most likely Falcon but it could also be Patriot….like everyone else said.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Teerack

@teerack: Vance Astro?

That could be interesting since he just told Cap and Iron Man off and quit the Avengers. Unless you're taking about the future version of him that is going to be in that Guardians 3000 book. Cable would be a neat choice to since he also had the shield in the future.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Teerack

@lvenger said:

@teerack said:
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

I know people use that conversation as an example of the "Cyclops was right" bandwagon but for me, that only proves Cyclops was all the more wrong. And it was akin to the pot calling the kettle black in all honesty.

It has really nothing to do with him being right or wrong. Cyclops can move, inspire, and lead people in a way only comparable to Cap.

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

Regardless the image reveals it's not Cyclops.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@lvenger said:

@teerack said:
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

It has really nothing to do with him being right or wrong. Cyclops can move, inspire, and lead people in a way only comparable to Cap.

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

I'm not saying it did, my only point is that since the 2000s, Cyclops has been turned into a target of blame and a character who has changed from a principled leader into a douchebag utilitarian. He's created a killing squad, left a family just to get back with Jean, encouraged a child to kill and threatened the lives of billions of people on the small off chance the Phoenix Force would have Hope restore mutants across the Marvel Universe. I don't feel inspired by Cyclops at all, I feel annoyed and irritated towards him for the decisions he's made.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By dernman
    @lvenger said:

@teerack said:

@lvenger said:

@teerack said:
    @v_scarlotte_rose said:

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

I'm not saying it did, my only point is that since the 2000s, Cyclops has been turned into a target of blame and a character who has changed from a principled leader into a douchebag utilitarian. He's created a killing squad, left a family just to get back with Jean, encouraged a child to kill and threatened the lives of billions of people on the small off chance the Phoenix Force would have Hope restore mutants across the Marvel Universe. I don't feel inspired by Cyclops at all, I feel annoyed and irritated towards him for the decisions he's made.

Preach. Cyclops might have once been a good Cap but not for awhile now. He sees things too them and/or us.

What's the picture that makes it look like Falcon I'm not seeing it in this one? Maybe it's Steve's son from the other dimension. Anyway I hope it doesn't last long. We just had a Cap replacement and it feels like we barely got him back. Then again they just killed Wolverine and.........

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I always thought him ditching his wife and kid was kind of hilarious because that was in the 90s when no one care what they were doing and were high all the time when making comics. It's one of those things you're better off forgetting about like Doctor Strange's marriage or Johnny Storm's marriage. Writers were just going nuts with having characters do crazy uncharacteristic awful romantic things.

I never understood why Cyclops making a kill squad is a big deal. Cap, Wolverine, Black Widow, Winter Solider, Moon Knight, Sharon Carter, Red Hulk, Venom, Valkyrie, Thor, etc. There are so many avengers who have been part of a kill squad themselves it's kind of a silly point.

The Phoenix thing was reckless as hell, but he didn't get to see Scott's plan. He wasn't given a chance to do anything. For all we know his plan could have been to get Hope off world and intercept the Phoenix. To be fair no one really knew what to do.

I'm not a fan of the utilitarian side of Scott either, but I think that mostly comes from the desperate place he was put in. As more mutants are popping up Scott seems to be getting back to being more of the man he used to be when not in the heat of things.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Teerack

Seeing the cover for next issue makes me think it wont be Ian.

No Caption Provided

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Scott.

Genosha burning Avengers don't help, Scott doesn't mind. Tony tries to muscle them on his side of the Civil War, being who they are anti-government would be understandable but they go neutral. AvX they got powers, started fixing world problems deemed to dangerous.

who is the new Cap hopes he's featured enough to stay important after Steve is back

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel did not reveal who would be taking over for Steve Rogers today; it turns out that the new Captain America will not debut until this fall. Marvel did, however, explain what the Captain America comic series will look like going forward and what Steve Rogers’ role would be. In an interview with Marvel, writer Rick Remender explained that Steve Rogers will assume the role of a mentor and strategist now that he has lost his powers.

“He’s waging war from a room rather than the front lines, which is new for Steve,” said Remender. “Steve’s going to continue to play a role in the series as a mentor and tactician and eye in the sky, runing ops and things. He’s got all his faculties and is still the super soldier he earned the right to be called; he just lacks the physical form.”

Over the next few issues, Steve Rogers will struggle to pick a replacement from a short list; one cast member will be betrayed, and “a few surprise characters we haven’t seen in awhile” are set to return.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a terrible idea. Captain America is Steve Rogers. They should just let it be. It feels like they just killed him a few years back and then there was 12 years in Dimension Z. Let the man take a breath already.

And he doesn't need to be ripping off Batman Beyond- old hero providing tactical advice from back in the ops center.

innerwolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the worst idea they have had in recent years (amongst the score of bad ideas they had, sure). This is not the Captain America I want to read.

Hope it isn't a permanent change, or he will become another character of whom I ignore the last years of background.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.