Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Just What is Joss Whedon Doing on the Captain America Movie?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    I'm going to bet that Steve Rogers says
    I'm going to bet that Steve Rogers says "dame" a lot more after Whedon's pass.

I’m sure the fact that Joss Whedon is writing and directing THE AVENGERS movie is high on the minds of everybody in the Comic Vine community. But do you remember that he’s also been hired by Marvel to do rewrites on CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER? Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus, the duo who’ve adapted every CHRONICLES OF NARNIA movie, wrote the main draft of this one, but Whedon’s been brought in to do some polishing (script doctoring to those of you who’re hip to lingo.)   But what exactly have his contributions consisted of? AVENGERS fan site, Earth’s Mightiest questioned the man recently, and here’s what he said…

"The structure  of the thing was really tight and I loved it, but there were a couple of opportunities to find his voice a little bit — and some of the   other characters — and make the connections so that you understood exactly why he wanted to be who he wanted to be."   

It sounds most likely that it was dialogue punch-up with a few more links drawn between the scenes, something Whedon probably relished. == TEASER ==

As he went on to say….

"It's fun in this case… because, A, they'll actually use the things I wrote, which is rare; and, B, it's a fun puzzle to go in and say, 'Okay, this is what works, this is what needs to be connected, and here are some key moments.' Then the third thing is that it takes place in the '40s, so I got to write '40s dialogue, and that's never not fun!"  

This is right before she puts the high holy hurt on Darth Maul.
     This is right before she puts the high holy hurt on Darth Maul.

You'll notice that Whedon’s keen to stress his appreciation that his contributions will make it to the movie. That’s probably because he’s actually had a long career of doing this kind of thing, contributing to ensemble script efforts for TOY STORY, ALIEN RESURRECTION, TITAN AE, ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE and a host of other projects the WGA never awarded him credit for, like SPEED. Actually, the gig most relevant to you Comic Vine maniacs is the first X-MEN, which he did a dialogue pass on, only for only one of his lines to actually make it to the final cut. What was that line?

“Do you know what happens to a toad when it’s struck by lightning?”

KRASH!

“The same thing as everything else.”

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here.

Winfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Winfield

How many of the avengers team will be in this movie? or is it just the big guns?

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Sobe Cin

That was one of my favorite lines in X-Men. Wish he could have took over the directing of those movies. Happy to hear that he will be doing some script-doctoring for Cap. Now if he could slip in Nathan Fillion and others from Serenity that would be awesome.  

Alan Tudyk for Vision.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kid_Zombie

CAN"T WAIT! huge whedon fan, but got to say, that was the worst line in the x-men movie ha ha

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jordanstine

Joss Whedon knows how to write strong lead characters (i.e. Firefly and Dollhouse), plus he makes them witty!   

So it's all good.
    Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

I completely believe in Whedon!  Can't wait to see the Cap film and The Avengers!

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Joss Whedon's contribution to Captain America:  

BUCKY: So, that's your shield, huh? 

CAP: Yup. 

BUCKY: Shiney!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think I am looking forward to Thor just a little bit more then Cap, but boy howdy its not by much. Cap is going to be an awesome movie, I always look forward to see how writers handle the dialogue of yesteryear. A good movie for reference would be Public Enemy, the dialogue was outstanding, you could almost believe Depp lived through the 30s. I am really hoping we get that sense with Chris Evans, its probably going to be one of the harder parts of the movie, besides being commanding.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

Lets hope he doesn't screw up

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Jotham

He wrote that line for X-Men? Yikes. Maybe he wasn't such a good choice to make the Avengers.

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By mimschkin

You guys, that was an orphaned punchline with terrible delivery. If they'd left the actual build-up to the punchline in, and gotten someone who can act, it wouldn't have been so horrendously bad.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Captain13
    @Winfield said:
    " How many of the avengers team will be in this movie? or is it just the big guns? "
    IMDB lists Nick Fury, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, and War Machine.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bestostero

That line in X-Men makes me giggle lol 

But I'm not surprised, if you watch a lot of Joss Whedon's other shows like Buffy and Angel, he does similar stuff lol

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#13  Edited By batmanboy11

The Marvel Studios movies keep looking better.

Balliard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Balliard

That line is horrible but  joss didnt wrote it

Winfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Winfield
    @Captain13: Shame. I was rather hoping Namor, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would turn up
    TwistedBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwistedBishop

Not true, Whedon also had another line in the X-Men movie.  It's the part at the end with Cyclops and Wolverine, where Cyclops thinks he's Mystique.

Wolverine:  "Hey.  Hey.  It's me."
    Cyclops:  "Prove it."
    Wolverine:  "You're a dick."
    Cyclops:  "Okay."

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey
    @Gambit1024: I don't if I like the idea of this guy directing it.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goldenkey
    @Captain13: War Machine??? Was he always gonna be in it?  Didn't know that.
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By difficlus
    @Winfield said:
    " @Captain13: Shame. I was rather hoping Namor, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would turn up "
    and then people complain about X men First Class. that would make this movie a complete mess, you cant expect the non-comic audience to digest seeing people from X men or some unknown character in Avengers. it would be a big WTF moment...
    Dfense75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dfense75

First post on these boards. Have lurked and enjoyed the site for some time. I cannot believe this is the topic that got me to post here for the first time. But...I am in stunned disbelief on 2 counts.

1) People actually liked Storm's line from X-Men? For some time now that line has been my front runner for worst line EVER. The fact that is was written, acted out, and made it through the editing process is mind boggling to me. But to each there own.

2) I am in equally stunned disbelief that Joss Whedon wrote it.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dondasch

Whether he wrote it or not, that line was quite possibly the worst I've ever had the misfortune of hearing, doubly so that it came from Halle Berry, who somehow won an Academy Award for Monster's Ball.  Anyhoo, I think that bringing in Joss Whedon could be a mistake, as the possibility of "dialogue creep" looms.

Don't believe me ?  Read this line again:

"The structure  of the thing was really tight and I loved it, but there were a couple of opportunities to find his voice a little bit — and some of the   other characters — and make the connections so that you understood exactly why he wanted to be who he wanted to be."

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By welshguy

Once again, I have learned something. A line so bad it made me wince in a movie I otherwise enjoyed was written by someone whose work I dislike. 
    Again, the idea of Whedon directing the Avengers is one that fills me with  apprehension (yes, I have that little going on in my life that a movie occupies such a prominent place in my thoughts). Ah, you never know, maybe him and Kevin Smith will murder each in a knife fight before they start shooting the Avengers. Yes, I know Kevin Smith is not involved with the Avengers in anyway but this would sort of be a killing two gits with one stone.
    It could happen you know. 
    And seriously, does anybody have a fecking clue what he is on about with that "structure of the thing" crap?

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

awesome team working on captain america

and i never knew the guy who played toad also played darth maul

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bandito

That line was atrocious!  That line made me throw my hands up and say, "I give up on this $#@% movie." 

I'm not going to hold one colossally bad line of dialogue against him, because I typically like Whedon's stuff, but I sure as hell wouldn't want credit for that line if I was him.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By sora_thekey

“Do you know what happens to a toad when it’s struck by lightning?” 
    “The same thing as everything else.”

Whedon wrote that? Well at least I know it's the most memorable Storm line in the movies

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024
    @goldenkey:  

The dude directing Captain America or Whedon directing the Avengers?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gambit1024

I think the reason that people even LIKE that Storm line was because that was her only real line in the movie. I mean can you think of any of the actual X-Men speaking in the movie besides Wolverine, Prof. X, Iceman, and Rogue? 

Storm said the lightning bit, Cyclops said "Stay away from my girl", and I think Jean had a long dialog in the beginning... Or was that X2?

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By ImperiousRix

Oh great, so the one line that he wrote that made it into X-Men was the worst line of the entire movie?! 
    *facepalm*

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#29  Edited By batmanboy11
    @TwistedBishop said:
    "Not true, Whedon also had another line in the X-Men movie.  It's the part at the end with Cyclops and Wolverine, where Cyclops thinks he's Mystique.   Wolverine:  "Hey.  Hey.  It's me."Cyclops:  "Prove it." Wolverine:  "You're a dick." Cyclops:  "Okay." "

Now THAT is a great line.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By ComicCrazy

and that was the worst line of the movie too. lol but seriously I have hope that he will do good.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Magian

He wrote that line? It wasn't his best job.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By jefprice

Right now I'm crying. Not for joy.

Soakle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Soakle

Shame about that line but if it's one thing that Joss does well, it's character development and fantastic witty lines. And he's writing 40's era dialogue! Oh it's going to be brilliant!

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By mimschkin

Once again, that line wasn't Joss' fault. But people apparently don't read other comments before posting their own. The line was messed up, partly because the script had been edited so heavily that all that was left of the joke was the punchline. Also because of Berry's awful delivery. See what Whedon says himself:

Everybody remembers that as the worst line ever written, but the thing about that is, it was supposed to be delivered as completely offhand. [Adopts casual, bored tone.] "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning?" Then, after he gets electrocuted, "Ahhh, pretty much the same thing that happens to anything else." But Halle Berry said it like she was Desdemona. [Strident, ringing voice.] "The same thing that happens to everything eeelse!" That's the thing that makes you go crazy. At least "You're a dick" got delivered right. The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line... I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful.

Cut the guy some slack, he's a good writer.
    Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bandito
    @mimschkin:  
    He is a good writer, and he can try to defend the line as suffering from the actor's delivery.  Doesn't excuse that--even as an offhand--that's still a dumb line that doesn't further the story, add characterization, or sound funny.  Also, that doesn't sound anything like a line that Storm would give.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.