is he the equal to superman

#1 Posted by greenk_warrior (50 posts) - - Show Bio

is he in all similarity ecxept for the alein thing and flying/ heat vision equal to superman

#2 Posted by JonSmith (3790 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, sure. Take away the fact that he's not an alien, he can't fly, he doesn't have heat vision, he doesn't have super breath, he's not invulnerable, he's not super fast or strong...

Sure, take all that away, and he's exactly like Superman. So is Napoleon Dynamite.

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Well, sure. Take away the fact that he's not an alien, he can't fly, he doesn't have heat vision, he doesn't have super breath, he's not invulnerable, he's not super fast or strong...

Sure, take all that away, and he's exactly like Superman. So is Napoleon Dynamite.

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

Agreed. Captain America is his own being. He has similarities sure, but give me an hour and I can make a case Harley Quinn and Thor being similar in some function or another. The biggest thing they have in common is how people look up to them "particularly in times of crisis".

#4 Posted by greenk_warrior (50 posts) - - Show Bio

two more things

  • can they both live forever
  • why was cap never imprisoned to be studied like the hulk
#5 Posted by firestriker12301 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@JonSmith said:

Well, sure. Take away the fact that he's not an alien, he can't fly, he doesn't have heat vision, he doesn't have super breath, he's not invulnerable, he's not super fast or strong...

Sure, take all that away, and he's exactly like Superman. So is Napoleon Dynamite.

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

Agreed. Captain America is his own being. He has similarities sure, but give me an hour and I can make a case Harley Quinn and Thor being similar in some function or another. The biggest thing they have in common is how people look up to them "particularly in times of crisis".

I agree with these two. They are similar in that they are both great american heros and they are both inspirational but if you ask me he is more similar to batman

#6 Posted by timelord786 (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I concur (always wanted to say that). They are both very similar on moral level but Captain America is a strategist and a leader and superman for me is someone that the writers should make a little more brighter.

#7 Posted by PowerHerc (78161 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously he's not Superman's equal power-wise.

Captain America is Superman's equal in terms of how inspirational he is to and how highly respected he is by his fellow superheroes.

#8 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say they're equivalents in personality and stuff like that, yeah. I've always thought Cap was the Marvel Superman

#9 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is better than Superman imho.

When you boil it down, they both do their best to serve their country. One as a soldier and the other as an adopted citizen.

Imo, Caps roots as a soldier, a WWII soldier no less - a living legend - make his impact as a role model, and a leader so blatantly obvious. It's easy to see why other heroes will follow and look up to him.

As a "foreign" child who has adopted this country and it's values (well the one's his parents taught him) it's easy to see why Supes is considered a "boyscout". One could say his allegiance to the flag means more to him than the average, homegrown citizen.

Does this make Superman a great leader? Not on Cap's level that's for sure, maybe he leads more by example? What about his influence on other heroes? Do they look up to him because he's the "1st" superhero? Maybe it's his powers? Maybe both?

#10 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

In powers? Your joking right?

In personality? Yeah he's basically Marvel's equivalent.

#11 Posted by kasino (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenk_warrior: the never imprisoned to be studied part is crazy, dissect him an army of super soldiers are at your command lol

yea he is totally Marvel's Superman as the American ideologist(Civil War/mostly everything else) but sometimes just American boy scout(AvX)

#12 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelord786 said:

I concur (always wanted to say that). They are both very similar on moral level but Captain America is a strategist and a leader and superman for me is someone that the writers should make a little more brighter.

Superman is actually pretty smart they just downplay that in the justice league so, batman can actually have a reason to be on the team, other than just being the team bada**.

As for the OP. he's very similar to superman morality wise yes. I like charecters that can inspire you to be better and thats why cap is my favorite marvel charecter

#13 Posted by Asagod (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

This.

#14 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it.

@JonSmith said:

Sure, take all that away, and he's exactly like Superman. So is Napoleon Dynamite.

#15 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

He is the symbol of greatest inspiration for heroes in Marvel like Superman is in Dc, to put it simple!

#16 Posted by krauser99 (632 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenk_warrior said:

two more things

  • can they both live forever
  • why was cap never imprisoned to be studied like the hulk

IIRC in Ed Brubakers arch titled super soldier a scientist tried to recreate and sell the formula but they can't seem to replicate it.

When Steve died in the after math of Civil War Tony Starks wanted the body to study, as Steve was the only perfect physical specimen.

As Sharon told him not to call him a specimen. Plus not many of his villains know that he can live a long time maybe even forever.

#17 Posted by Jakesully1981 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all, sure both are unique heroes but i always thought he was more like Batman

#18 Posted by xmentas (173 posts) - - Show Bio

@DMC: So you're saying captain is better than superman by role model orrrrr...?

#19 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@Asagod said:

@JonSmith said:

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

This.

#20 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenk_warrior: I'd only say in inspiration for other heroes and the people.Cap would inspire Superman to be honest.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (13656 posts) - - Show Bio

In personality yes,in powers no.

#22 Posted by kaiju_caveman (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@greenk_warrior: I'd only say in inspiration for other heroes and the people.Cap would inspire Superman to be honest.

Definitely agree. If you check the JLA/Avengers cross-over done by Busiek/Perez, in issue 4 Both the Avenges and the JLA chose Cap to lead the combined teams in the final battle. Yes, I realize this is setting up Supes to be on the front lines and save the day (including using Cap's shield) but I loved the idea that even Superman and Batman chose Cap to lead them into that final battle.

#23 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@xmentas said:

@DMC: So you're saying captain is better than superman by role model orrrrr...?

as a role model, as a leader, those are the two big ones for me.

Outside of their power sets I would like to say Cap is better than him in every other way but that wouldn't be fair.

#24 Posted by Pyrogram (32213 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@greenk_warrior: I'd only say in inspiration for other heroes and the people.Cap would inspire Superman to be honest.

This is so true

#25 Posted by Jakesully1981 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree both are inspiring heroes.

But who agrees that he's more like Batman?

#26 Posted by Binski (606 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

He is the symbol of greatest inspiration for heroes in Marvel like Superman is in Dc, to put it simple!

this

#27 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Power wise: F*** no.

Leaderwise: yes

Looked Up to by other Heros: Yes

In a way he is but yet he isn't

#28 Posted by aerllyhong (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so. He really is a superman.

#29 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

Even though this post is hella old, it still rings true. This is what it boils down to.

#30 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Well, sure. Take away the fact that he's not an alien, he can't fly, he doesn't have heat vision, he doesn't have super breath, he's not invulnerable, he's not super fast or strong...

Sure, take all that away, and he's exactly like Superman. So is Napoleon Dynamite.

Nah, I get what you're saying. His character is kind of similar to Superman. However, Superman's not a soldier, and Captain America is nothing but. When Superman's leading a team, he generally doesn't come up with the plans for them, Batman does. He's just the most powerful, so he ends up being the point of the spear. Even if Captain America is dramatically outclassed in power on his own team, everyone follows his instructions because of his experience. Superman is an inspiration. Cap is that AND a leader. So while they may have many moral similarities, you have to keep something in mind: Clark Kent is a guy from Kansas. Take away all his powers, make him human, and he wouldn't be a superhero, he'd be a farmer. He didn't choose this life, he just accepted it. Steve Rogers WANTED to help his country, and was determined to find a way to do it. The result was him becoming a supersoldier. He actively sought out and chose the life he's lived. That's a very big difference of character that goes down to their very cores. So from a moral standpoint, are they similar? Sure. They have the same morals as most superheroes. Are they similar personality wise? Eh, I personally don't think so, but an argument could definitely be made against me.

WELL SAID. Really all they share is this kind of nobleness and strong sense of morality.

I mean, Cap is willing to kill and has done so many times. (such as countless Nazis)

The similarities are there, but the same can be said about many heroes / villains.

#31 Posted by MuyJingo (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they hold very similar inspirational and leadership roles, although the biggest difference to me is that Cap is meant to be an example of the best traits of America as a country, standing for all the things America ideally stands for.

Superman is bigger in scope, and not limited to America. Superman shows us the best humanity can be, he just happens to be American. It works, because a lot of the American ideals are important and, at the time the character was introduced, morally superior to a lot of other countries.

Superman isn't limited to America though, and that's important.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.