Is Captain America the Greatest Superhero ever??

#1 Edited by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by silverman201 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

No but he is one of the best.
#3 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#4 Posted by Z3RO180 (6703 posts) - - Show Bio
@silverman201: @silverman201 said:
No but he is one of the best.
Took the words ryt out my mouth.
#5 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38789 posts) - - Show Bio
No.
#6 Posted by daredevil21134 (12595 posts) - - Show Bio

nah

#7 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's far and away the greatest. Who do you guys got that's better?

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (58293 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mego_Stretch_Hulk said:
I think he's far and away the greatest. Who do you guys got that's better?

Superman/Batman imo.

BB

#9 Posted by Belphegor (280 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Storm is!

#10 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Superman.

#11 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

There are millions of comic book characters that are better than Captain America.

And I don't even think there are "millions" of comic book characters per se.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but he's in my top five. 

#13 Posted by fbdarkangel (4819 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio
@Feliciano2040 said:
There are millions of comic book characters that are better than Captain America.  And I don't even think there are "millions" of comic book characters per se.
Too bad you feel that way. Cap can never be beat, sorry.
#15 Posted by TheMightyAvenger (1908 posts) - - Show Bio

No but he's one of the best.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

It could be argued that he is. I personally don't think so, but he may be.

#17 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Hercules would follow Cap before anyone else. Just sayin'.

#18 Posted by Blood1991 (8082 posts) - - Show Bio

All in opinion people, I like Cap well now Super Soldier, but I don't keep a favorite I keep favorites :p
#19 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not at all.

#20 Posted by Dark Noldor (540 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is great, but not the best - maybe in the 40s and 50s he was the best,
but nowadays there are too many characters in competition for this spot
and he´s being old as he is, I don´t believe he´s fit for this position

#21 Posted by King Saturn (225046 posts) - - Show Bio
I do not think so... he is Top 10 easy though... 
#22 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Noldor said:
Cap is great, but not the best - maybe in the 40s and 50s he was the best, but nowadays there are too many characters in competition for this spot and he´s being old as he is, I don´t believe he´s fit for this position
Blasphemy!!!
#23 Posted by wdchefdave (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is a leader.
Batman has led as well... but, get's pissed off and runs and hides.
Cap has been the last man to be taken down many times... same as Batman.
Cap is a team player... Batman can play a great game of chess with superheros.
Batman is the natural leader of any team... Cap is the leader of "The Avengers"... they pulled him out of the ice!
Superman and Spider-man are great... but, they follow orders from men who have no real super powers.
Ironically, Cap was probably created to make a "super man soldier" because Superman wasn't going to get involved in WWII.
Captain America is the best.
He and Batman have helped lead a young boy to be the 55 year old man that I am now.
Cap isn't as moody as the Bats.
That makes him just a tad better.

#24 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mego_Stretch_Hulk said:
@Feliciano2040 said:
There are millions of comic book characters that are better than Captain America.  And I don't even think there are "millions" of comic book characters per se.
Too bad you feel that way. Cap can never be beat, sorry.
"Beat" as in ?
#25 Posted by Kiddevil (7477 posts) - - Show Bio
@Belphegor: must you state that ever time you get the chance?
#26 Posted by Belphegor (280 posts) - - Show Bio
@kiddevil: I have only stated this a couple of times. 
#27 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

What defines Greatest Superhero?

#28 Posted by AssertingValor (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

No,  but he is the greatest lowend superhero possibly................
#29 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling said:
  The same thing that defines the difference between opinion and a fact.
#30 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is the Greatest Comic character.  Captain America is up there though.
#31 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
@King Quisling said:
  The same thing that defines the difference between opinion and a fact.
So basically it should be "In your opinion is Captain America....etc. etc." ?
#32 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling:  Pretty much, you catch on quick, good sir.
#33 Posted by Darthtravis (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, Cap isn't even in the top five.  If you go by sales alone my guess would be the following: 

Superman 
Batman 
Spider-Man
Wolverine  
Green Lantern

#34 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:  :P just saying.... I was wondering if there was some kind of set credentials for being the World's Greatest that I wasn't aware of. Lol
#35 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling:  Nope, there is none, but most people ignore the fact that their opinions are opinion and just believe them to be facts.  It's interesting to see.  In fact, the question in the title is most likely rhetorical and he/ she only formed it in a question because the OP thought everyone would just conform to what he/ she believes.
#36 Posted by The Stegman (25961 posts) - - Show Bio

the blog is very well written, but no, i don't think Cap is the best, as others say, he's ONE of the best, but not quite the best 

matter of fact i would put Spider-Man, Batman and Superman way ahead of him, heck, i'll pick Green Lantern before i pick cap

#37 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Lol gotcha. Well, IN MY OPINION, Captain America (Rogers) is amongst my top ten Worlds Greatest. That's just for Marvel's main 616 universe. I try not comparing characters from different U's or companies. Too much variation and contrast within each separate comic universe for me to even begin to properly asset whether say Captain America outperforms someone like Batman or Flash. Different U's, different events, different call of duties. Heck, even comparing two characters from the same U is not without it's flaws. Iron Man and Captain America are very different heroes for very different reason yet they both prove themselves as two of the World's most valued heroes. But could I say Steve is better than Tony? Not at all. They're different men whom lived through different events and experienced different character defining moments. IMO there could never be just one World's Greatest Superhero/heroine.
#38 Posted by Amegashita (3560 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling:   That is a very well developed opinion.
#39 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita:   Lol Thanks. I suppose it is. I'm sure at least one person (or thousands) would find some way to disagree with me. :P
#40 Posted by Wise Son (1772 posts) - - Show Bio
No...
#41 Posted by IKnowEverything (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman (And Perhaps Green Lantern and Thor) make up the heart of the superhero world. Each one brings something else to the table. Is Captain America THE BEST to me? No. Spider-man is the hands down winner for me. Do i understand the reasoning behind Cap? Sure. Just as I do with the aforementioned characters. As mentioned above, its opinion mostly; and which character resonates with you

#42 Posted by IKnowEverything (357 posts) - - Show Bio
@wdchefdave:  They all follow orders from men. But i agree. Cap >>>> Bats. And not just by a tad.
#43 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio
@IKnowEverything said:
@wdchefdave:  They all follow orders from men. But i agree. Cap >>>> Bats. And not just by a tad. 

Very well said.
#44 Posted by Dracade102 (8126 posts) - - Show Bio

He's definitely up there... In my top 3, at the least.

#45 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

I say top 4 or 5. Although Cap is my #1 fav.
#46 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio
Not #1 but in the top 10. For those saying he's not among the top, I ask this: Who else has guts to punch Hitler right in the jaw?!?!? That has got to be one of the classiest moves in all comicdom.

@IKnowEverything said:
They all follow orders from men. But i agree. Cap >>>> Bats. And not just by a tad.
As a superhero, this is very true. But as a character, Bats has just got more depth and so he is better in that category for me. Just a wee bit.
#47 Posted by Blacklightning13 (916 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay people are going to screw this up by saying who there favourite is I have pretty much narrowed down the greatest superheroes for a few things. OK theirs Captain America for all the reasons people have stated, theirs Batman for even through harsh circumstances where most people were angry he turned that into a quest and has nearly cured a city and is one of the greatest heroes of all time but he doesn't even have superpowers, Theirs Spiderman for well just look at his origin nerdy bullied kid gets powers but instead of striking back he helps the greater good etc he has lots of that stuff, Theirs Wonder woman for being a strong, independent, powerful woman who could most likely beat up and throw every man on the planet into various prisons and theirs Superman well I have to say i think he is the greatest he was the first, he is the most popular, he is the second most powerful (Thor(probably)) I mean how can you beat that line up plus he has half the stuff Cap has and has beaten hatred (bullies) and diversity (he is an alien). I have to say you can't really beat Superman.

#48 Posted by Mego_Stretch_Hulk (215 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Cap all the way!

#49 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, nuff said

#50 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, personally, no. He isn't no where near the top of my list. However, he is a cool character and I'm sure that he is to some people.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.