Is Captain America peak human or beyond peak?

• 60 results
#1 Edited by ThanoStomp (789 posts) - - Show Bio

Viners - I've pondered this question for many years.  Cap would appear to have abilities that are beyond what a peak human can achieve.  And there are several scans on this site, one of which I attached, that show he abilities that a peak human simply could not gain through training.  So the question is as the title states - Is he peak or beyond peak? 

The Marvel description of Cap, to me, seems contradictory.  Perhaps that is due to the terms peak, enhanced and superhuman not really having any set standard around them in the comic universe.   My personal opinion is that it's just bad writing(the description, not the character or comic).  In one sentence it states he's beyond "any Olympic athlete who ever competed" yet in a latter sentence it actually says "the peak human efficiency".   Think about that for a second...  Olympics has sprinters, long distance runners, weightlifters, jumpers, gymnasts and a bevy of other types of peak athletes.  He beats them all.   For example, if the gold medal record holder in weightlifting was able to Clean and Jerk 263Kg(Hossein Rezazadeh, 2000), then Cap beats that. In fact, he beats it easily considering his feats.    

We can all read the descriptions and wikis, which also differ, but what about your opinion?  How about what has actually been demonstrated via feats?  IMHOP, there's enough evidence that it would appear Cap is beyond the classification of Peak Human, and into the category of Enhanced, but certainly not Superhuman. 

Discuss...  (and please don't turn this into a Cap vs. thread). 

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12775 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is......there is no answer, He's done things that clarify superhuman, yet he's also played down to be just peak level, it depends on the writer. 

I see cap as superhuman though, like the picture states "he sees faster than bullets" 

he's beaten opponents way stronger than him 

he survived in a block of ice 

he's fallen from great heights and survived 

these normally would be feats of someone thats superhuman
#3 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It's called the SUPER soldier serum. Not just soldier serum. Plus, this is comics. Peak human abilities in comics aren't what peak human abilities are in real life.

#4 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

He's supposed to be peak human, but no human could ever do what he does.

#5 Edited by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think he's peak human.  He seems superhuman compared to the rest of us, but that's only because he has peak human genetics.  Because of that factor normal humans can't do the same things he can do, but that's only because they do not share the same genetics  that he has.

Maurice Greene is a great example of this.  He achieved a sprint speed of 26.7 mpg.  The majority of the human race can never do that, no matter how much training they had. Yet he did it, because he's genetically blessed and was in peak condition.  It's the same thing with Cap.

#6 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

It's miles per hour, how miles per gallon, lol. Anyways, Cap can do 30 mph for at least a minute. Which is pushing the superhuman boundary.

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is not written to be superhuman, but his feats show otherwise. Although, no one can really know what a "peak human" can do considering someone like that doesn't exist in our world.

#8 Posted by weaponmaster (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is peak human in all ways except endurance, which is superhuman.
#9 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@The WeatherMan: Lol, whoops.  Didn't even notice that.  The record land speed for a normal human is 26.7mph, so cap doing 30 mph isn't really that unrealistic.
#10 Posted by FunnyStuff707 (179 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard his full exertion in strength lets him bench 800 pounds, but at FULL exertion. 30 mph is peak human, but he thinks faster, on a super human level. His lack of fatigue is definitely a superhuman trait. His immunity to any poison or sickness I would also call super human.

#11 Posted by The WeatherMan (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

In a normal human, lymph nodes cannot withstand more than 28 mph. They will begin to collapse under the pressure.

#12 Posted by Vitality (1764 posts) - - Show Bio
@The WeatherMan said:
"In a normal human, lymph nodes cannot withstand more than 28 mph. They will begin to collapse under the pressure. "

Wait...what? 
#13 Posted by Jake Fury (18641 posts) - - Show Bio

The best I've seen it stated is if Captain America entered the Olympics he'd win every event hands down.  

He's as physically perfect as you can be without being superhuman.
#14 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio
@FunnyStuff707 said:
" I heard his full exertion in strength lets him bench 800 pounds, but at FULL exertion. 30 mph is peak human, but he thinks faster, on a super human level. His lack of fatigue is definitely a superhuman trait. His immunity to any poison or sickness I would also call super human. "
That's kinda weak, considering Ryan Kennellly set the record in 2008 at 1075 lb. There are videos of him on youtube.
#15 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, doesn't the definition of Peak Human continually change. If you think about it, world records are constantly being broken, how many were broken at the last 2 Olympics. So people are consistently becoming more athletic. If Cap is Peak Human according to 1940s standards, then he isn't actually that strong, and 2011 Peak Human is at least double.

#16 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah maybe but he is still peak human
#17 Posted by RightScar (313 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
" The funny thing is......there is no answer, He's done things that clarify superhuman, yet he's also played down to be just peak level, it depends on the writer.  I see cap as superhuman though, like the picture states "he sees faster than bullets"  he's beaten opponents way stronger than him  he survived in a block of ice  he's fallen from great heights and survived  these normally would be feats of someone thats superhuman "
None of this make Cap superhuman.Just because a few writers can write things that don't make no sense like Cap helping Spider-Man knock down Hulk or Cap KO'ing Rhino with a jump kick doesn't mean Cap is superhuman.According to Marvel's Official Handbook Cap only has to lift anywhere between 800 lbs and 25 tons to be superhuman and he's definitely lifting more than 800 lbs."Seeing faster than bullets",taking down people are way out of your strength range,and surviving in a block of ice doesn't mean Cap superhuman though because their are characters stated to be Olympic level and characters below Cap's physical ability that have the same feats.
#18 Posted by SC (13112 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is a character that moves the goal posts. What I mean by that, is defining what a peak human is, as in what they should and shouldn't be able to do, its sort of open ended. Marvel for all intents and purposes has defined peak human as Cap. He is above average in height as well, this matters a little bit, also most say Olympic athletes are some what limited by time and training, flexibility can aid strength, but weight lifters won't be as flexible as gymnasts. If you can somehow build or have a character thats as maximized for efficiency and effectiveness for both those two aspects? For their size and body type? Peak human flexibility and peak human strength? Well, your going to have both those traits boosted a little bit more. Add in all the aspects allowed by the human body, and well I feel my point is made.  

The theory is that Cap works better as a character that is both out of reach for us mere mortals but also at the same time, within our grasps. Don't forget as well, that adrenaline or circumstance can let mothers flip cars to save children in accidents. Cap is suppose to be one of those guys thats mentally stronger and more hardened than physically. Its still likely though of course he'll have feats that put him above, into superhuman class, but hey, writers are only human... (lol)

#19 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine a peak human in real life with a massive dosage of HGH without the negative effects... That's peak human in comics.

Now Cap is more like enhanced human. Slightly. So do the one up above with a comic peak human.

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He's about as super-human as Batman is, or that's just how I see it. Cap has done everything Batman has done with the exception of surviving in ice. 

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say he's superhuman but on the low end of the power scale

#22 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Captain America is kinda like Batman in more then a few ways so its pretty much redundant. 
 just for examples 

Batman, KOing Grundy 
CA, making the green scar Hulk spit blood with a pucnh across the face.
#23 Posted by BarelyAverage (942 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO Cap is peak human. Well his healing and endurance may be slightly above. But the way I see it, I would imagine the strongest weightlifter, fastest runner, most acrobatic gymnast, and pretty much every top human all being rolled into one injected with human growth hormone with no side effects. Pretty beastly person

#24 Posted by commodore64 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

In the example you've given I would say that Captain America has superior reflexes and hand eye coordination. So in the same way that a boxer can predict a punch using subtle muscle movements in an opponents shoulder captain America can respond to who is firing on him and in what order and how to react in a matter of milliseconds. Also he has a shield that covers most of his body.

#25 Edited by Alurvelve (3649 posts) - - Show Bio
@FunnyStuff707 said:

" I heard his full exertion in strength lets him bench 800 pounds. "

Cap has been shown to bench press 1,100 pounds as a work out in one scan.
#26 Posted by BigCimmerian (8313 posts) - - Show Bio

If cap can only bench press 800 lbs than he is weaker than batman who bench presses atleast 1100 lbs

#27 Posted by Andy Steven Summers (5234 posts) - - Show Bio
@BigCimmerian said:
If cap can only bench press 800 lbs than he is weaker than batman who bench presses atleast 1100 lbs
The scan above your posts already shows Cap benching 1,100 pounds.
#28 Posted by BigCimmerian (8313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andy Steven Summers said:

@BigCimmerian said:

The scan above your posts already shows Cap benching 1,100 pounds.
I saw later, I wrote that post when I was on first page xD    
#29 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

He's super human, right? They didn't train a man to the best of man's ability, they pumped him with drugs and other treatments to push him beyond that.

#30 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say the super soldier serum had made him peak human but the experience he's gained since have made him above peak human abilities.

#31 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC: Excellent answer!

I think the easiest description is that he is quite simply the best that a human being could be (physically.)   The "super" soldier serum did not 'add' or 'increase' his abilities beyond what a human (in the Marvel Universe) is theoretically capable of; rather it removes all flaws.

and remember, Steve Rogers trains like a madman....
#32 Posted by lilron890 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America's "Super Soldier Serum" puts him at peak ability but he has demonstrated super-human levels

#33 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced human. He's a bit above peak human.

#34 Posted by krauser99 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy has better strength and durability feats then Slade.  Batman cant compare.

#35 Posted by playdohsrepublic (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Every superhuman, regardless of their power set always have always been more durable than us nermal  fulk. I mean how many people have survived a punch from the hulk? or any nearly as strong villian where the "he pulled the punch" argument would be invalid? So if we are talking about peak human in the marvel universe, then yeah Cap seems just about right.

#36 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@BigCimmerian said:
How would that make him "weaker?"   He's just working out....    If The Incredible Hulk worked out (assuming he ever did) by bench pressing only 50,000 tons, does that make him weaker than The Thing or She-Hulk???  When one 'works out' they don't press the maximum they are able to, they press much less...
#37 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio

By Marvel's ratings he is technically a low level superhuman but most descriptions of him say he's peak human.It doesn't matter if you classify him on either level.If you compare him to any other peak human though they are on the same level of strength and physical ability showings.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

i saw a scan with him and beast where he benched1100 pounds and curled 500 pounds.
#39 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

I think what they mean by "lifting 800 lbs" is a military press (over your head). Generally speaking a human can Benchpress more than they can military press, which could explain the difference between the 800 lbs lift and the scan of 1100 lbs bench press. 

I feel that cap, technically speaking, is beyond peak human on a whole, no one person can be the world's strongest and the world's fastest and the most agile making him a meta/enhanced human
#40 Posted by Blacklightning13 (916 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: lol but that could be perfecly human. I mean have you actually met someone who is the absolute best at everything?
#41 Posted by Blacklightning13 (916 posts) - - Show Bio

You see people he may have extreme feats but he must be human that's what the comics say that's the truth yeah he displays inhuman abilities that would literally snap a mans bones lifting that kind of weight but so would Batmans and he did it with training. That is my biggest problem with comics they just change the rules when they feel like they just make someone that bit stronger then they actually are. That's also why top 10 most powerful lists don't work because even the writers would conflict and then there would be no definite list, you see?

#42 Posted by Dbogan67theman (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Captain America...really I do. But he's not peak human but superhuman. Why or how so? He survived a 200 foot drop. Took a beating in the kisser by Hyde during J.Byrne's days on his book without having a broken jaw or let alone a crush skull. Got a healing factor now. Completely immune to alcohol and drugs. Mmmm..is this Wolverine I describing here or is this what the writers have done to Cap over the years? Back in the days of real comics and writers, Cap was suppose to be able to function past any human in endurance and stamina without getting fatigue. To be able bench press 800 lbs, clear a mile within 6 minutes and so...Now today, he's seeing bullets which travels at 750 feet per second, got enhanced senses, wait for it...wait for it...he survive a 200 foot drop. Heck, I'm still puzzle on how he managed to beat Deathlok and had a real hard time on beating Crossbones? So again, I'm speaking about Wolverine? The bottom line is this...Captain America is enhanced...word for it is superhuman.

#43 Edited by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhuman. Batman is peak human. Cap is physically better than Bats due to the SSS. He has dodged bullets and can run a mile in a minute. I don't see Batman (peak human) doing that. He is superhuman. He has also done everything people said up there

#44 Posted by MuyJingo (1764 posts) - - Show Bio
@tg1982 said:

I think what they mean by "lifting 800 lbs" is a military press (over your head). Generally speaking a human can Benchpress more than they can military press, which could explain the difference between the 800 lbs lift and the scan of 1100 lbs bench press.

Well heh, 2 years and 6 days ago you seemed to know about the differences in what you can bench vs what you can do in an overhead lift.

#45 Posted by w0nd (3422 posts) - - Show Bio

He can't get high or drunk, and he was kept alive by a simple block of ice at the very least he would have to breath or get some oxygen. This is why I consider him beyond peak human now.

#46 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:
@tg1982 said:

Well heh, 2 years and 6 days ago you seemed to know about the differences in what you can bench vs what you can do in an overhead lift.

I never said I didn't. I knew someone could lift more by bench pressing than military pressing. What I didn't know was the ratio, i.e, the 2/3rds (IIRC) that you mentioned. Also, I was unsure if that was what they meant by lifting, as said in my post, " I think what they mean", prior to talking with you, the last time I even paid attention to an OHOTMU was at least 15 years ago, I think longer actually. So I wasn't sure if that was even how they still measured the strength rating. But, if your asking, if I knew someone could bench press more than military press, then yes I've always known, if your asking if I knew by how much, then no I didn't. If you asking if I knew that the OHOTMU still used the military press as the strength rating, then no, I wasn't sure.

#47 Edited by MuyJingo (1764 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: Don't worry, I got all that. I thought it was just funny to see your comment when we had spent so much time discussing it recently.

My comment was meant to be a joke, but I didn't make that clear. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

#48 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo:

LOL. Nah, no worries. I saw how that post could be contradicting, so I just wanted to make it clear, I wasn't trying to be sneaky or underhanded, or anything like that, during our discussion. We good.

#49 Edited by MuyJingo (1764 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

Peak human

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.