If Captain America was owned by DC Thread

#1 Posted by MasterM0r0n (333 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering what would happen to Captain America specifically if he was owned by Detective Comics.

I think he would like best-buds with Superman since both truly believe in justice.

I would also think that Captain America would be upgraded to a suit better design.

Although we don't truly know what would happen,

what are your imaginable thoughts?

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? I don't think it'd work. Superman's already the "all-American hero" in DC, and Batman's filled the role of being "peak human" and is a perfect strategist. It'd be hard to see what Cap can contribute.

My best answer is that maybe Steve Rogers would end up being the Blue Lantern of Sector 2814.

#3 Edited by finiteman (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you are overlooking one huge thing. Captain America was a WW II character. If he were created at DC instead of Timely in the 1940's, he would have been a member of the Justice Society, not the JLA. And he probably would have been considered a "dated concept" in the 1960's revamp ---like Mr. Terriffic --- and not translated into a revamped JLA character.

If he wasn't on Earth 1, None of that GL corps stuff would be likely. He'd almost certainly be re-imagined on the new Earth 2.

I think it might have been pretty cool throughout.

#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@finiteman said:

He'd almost certainly be re-imagined on Earth 2.

I think it might have been pretty cool.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
he'd be this guy
#6 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5001 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap and Supes fight for the bragging rights as the American Homeboy.

#7 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (13885 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

he'd be this guy

He is right.

#8 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Jay Garrick's best friend, someone Luthor would have tried to kill or blackmail Superman with a thousand times, buster of the Cadmus project, drinking coffee and eating oreos with the Martian Manhunter once a week, mentor for the Teen Titans. Oh, and Stargirl would have a huge crush on him.

I've got some more if really anyone would like to read it.

#9 Posted by The_Soverighn (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns

#10 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

Jay Garrick's best friend, someone Luthor would have tried to kill or blackmail Superman with a thousand times, buster of the Cadmus project, drinking coffee and eating oreos with the Martian Manhunter once a week, mentor for the Teen Titans. Oh, and Stargirl would have a huge crush on him.

I've got some more if really anyone would like to read it.

This has suddenly made me want to see Cap in the DCU...

#11 Posted by Oni_Bane (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be awesome because Cap would beat the crap Batman all the time and ppl would be mad. then batman would loses his popularity.

#12 Posted by SmashBrawler (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

It would be awesome because Cap would beat the crap Batman all the time and ppl would be mad. then batman would loses his popularity.

Batman has gotten his ass kicked a lot of times and hasn't lost his popularity. I don't see how Captain America would change any of that.

#13 Edited by finiteman (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

he'd be this guy

I did think about the Guardian (created by the same guys), but it isn't the same any more than captain marvel would be this guy (1970's "Captain Thunder").

or this guy (Freddy Freeman "Shazam")

or even this guy ("I cry lightning Shazam")

or this guy ("Captain Marvel and Triumph's love child, Shazam")

There is a HUGE difference between a strong core concept and a shaved down knockoff.

The Guardian is Captain America without the military thing, the patriotism thing, the Bucky thing, and the cast of ultimate Nazi villains. He's a very bland character in comparison to Captain America.

There is a reason why no one beyond Kirby used the Guardian much for decades. He's kind of a mort.

#14 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oni_Bane said:

Batman gets the crap beat out of him all the time. He did recently in the Court of owls storyline

#15 Posted by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Honestly? I don't think it'd work. Superman's already the "all-American hero" in DC, and Batman's filled the role of being "peak human" and is a perfect strategist. It'd be hard to see what Cap can contribute.

My best answer is that maybe Steve Rogers would end up being the Blue Lantern of Sector 2814.

If only Superman was an all-american hero still...

Now he's a Globalist

Captain America's had his disagreements with Government....but he's never abandoned the American Way.

#16 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4669 posts) - - Show Bio
@finiteman

I think you are overlooking one huge thing. Captain America was a WW II character. If he were created at DC instead of Timely in the 1940's, he would have been a member of the Justice Society, not the JLA. And he probably would have been considered a "dated concept" in the 1960's revamp ---like Mr. Terriffic --- and not translated into a revamped JLA character.

If he wasn't on Earth 1, None of that GL corps stuff would be likely. He'd almost certainly be re-imagined on the new Earth 2.

This. Captain America in DC= no Guardian ever existing.
#17 Posted by Immortal777 (5914 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap would get an Instant name change.

#18 Posted by jwalser3 (4411 posts) - - Show Bio

@finiteman said:

Damn, that's a good, I could see that.

#19 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

If Cap was owned by DC? The age old debate of Batman Vs Captain America would finally get resolved when Captain America beats Batman in a canon comic issue!!!!!!! :-)

#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, yeah. I could see him on the JSA being good friends with Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

#21 Posted by PurpleCandy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America will get a new outfit because with his normal one he looks too much like Superman (endless they decide to make him Superman's sidekick, which would be quite shameful for Captain America). He certainly won't shine as much, but I think he can be useful but not as major as he is in Marvel

#22 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr America form JSA...

#23 Posted by edictzero (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really like to see Cap's limits pushed by the Joker. Plus he could be the definitive leader of the JSA, he is as good a tactician as Batman and a symbol like Superman

#24 Edited by krauser99 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

After they see him handle himself and see him lead. They would instantly give him a team of losers, some C list heroes and C list reformed villains. And watch him turn them into a power house of a team.

And then after they see him do something akin to like taking down Namor practically by himself. With just a small dinky shield. They'd by like.......OK I'm with the new guy.

#25 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

It would either suck a$$ or Cap beats the $hit out of Batman in a canon issue or Cap becomes leader of the JLA but most likely the first option

#26 Posted by Doctorholmes241 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap would become angstrom and dark due to DC rebooting to make him more "relatable"

#27 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be bad for Cap because the power-that-be would most assuredly make him take a backseat to their iconic characters; particularly Batman.

#28 Edited by tigerkaya (1216 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

It would be bad for Cap because the power-that-be would most assuredly make him take a backseat to their iconic characters; particularly Batman.

Sadly this. Just look at what they have done to Captain Mar- oops I meant........ (sigh) Shazam.

#29 Edited by MaccyD (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

He wouldn't have a film and would constantly be overshadowed by Batman and Superman. If lucky he might have a solo.

#30 Posted by M3th (1771 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Marvel would lose one great character and DC would gain one amazing character that totally fits in the DC. I see cap being in the JSA but then getting frozen and later joining the JLU or JLA. I also think he wouldn't be utilized as much.

#31 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5001 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap would be a D-List hero if he was in DC.

#32 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5602 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what role he would've had in Red Son...

#33 Posted by MaccyD (2845 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (541 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Raw_Material (3207 posts) - - Show Bio

If Captain America was owned by DC,he would be the leader of the Justice League and not Batman. He'll just be another street-level hero, but in the same class as the Cap.

#36 Posted by jayskee (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

If Cap was owned by DC? The age old debate of Batman Vs Captain America would finally get resolved when Captain America beats Batman in a canon comic issue!!!!!!! :-)

I would pay to see that

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.