How do you prefer Steve Rodgers?

Posted by Teerack (4549 posts) 11 months, 1 day ago

How do you prefer Steve Rodgers? (40 votes)

Captain America 65%
The Super Soldier 35%

As Captain America?

Or The Super Soldier?

#1 Posted by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know... I've always thought of him as the epitome of a pointless boring character with too much popularity whose outfit has always been dorky as hell.

#2 Posted by HumanRocket (4873 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

#3 Posted by Extremis (2959 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz: you might be careful, just some friendly advice if you're new here...

#4 Posted by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: What do you mean I "might be careful"? Are you saying that I am careful or that I should be careful?

What, am I gonna' get banned because of my opinion on Captain America?

#5 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz: you make friends like this on all the forums you frequent?

#6 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

With his last name spelled correctly thats how :p (couldnt help myself)

#7 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio
@extremis said:

@kramotz: you might be careful, just some friendly advice if you're new here...

FEED HIM TO THE DOGS.

Haha, I'm just kidding. There are just a number of Cap fans on the board. But you're entitled to your opinion, @kramotz, we can agree to disagree ;)

As for the question itself - the Super-Soldier concept was cool for a while. Cap being the top dog of Marvel's superhero community was the natural growth of his position. But I still prefer the classic tights.

#8 Posted by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

O.o Just because someone prefers the him as the SS doesn't mean they have an issue with america...

I liked him a ton as The Super Soldier because he used guns and acted a lot more like a soldier appose to a super hero. I feel like him becoming Captain America was just a step back for him. He also just looked a lot cooler to me, but his new Marvel NOW suit is really cool.

And I don't really care but he wasn't the first hero for marvel Namor and The Human Torch were heroes before Captain America existed.

#9 Posted by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz: you make friends like this on all the forums you frequent?

Yeah man!

With his last name spelled correctly thats how :p (couldnt help myself)

What in the hell are you talking about?

#10 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz said:


What in the hell are you talking about?

Steve Rogers, not Rodgers.

#11 Edited by JonSmith (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

TEERACK MISSPELLED CAPTAIN AMERICA'S NAME.

EXECUTE THIS BLASPHEMOUS HEATHEN.

Aside from that, I'm a fan of the classics. When I think 'Steve ROGERS' I think 'Captain America', accompanied by an image of him planting an American Flag on a hill, eagle flying overhead, rifle slung over a shoulder, a white stallion behind him, shield raised as 'Proud to be an American' plays in the background, sung by a heavenly chorus. I do not think 'Super Soldier'.

#12 Posted by Extremis (2959 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

#13 Edited by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

@jonsmith said:

TEERACK MISSPELLED CAPTAIN AMERICA'S NAME.

EXECUTE THIS BLASPHEMOUS HEATHEN.

Aside from that, I'm a fan of the classics. When I think 'Steve ROGERS' I think 'Captain America', accompanied by an image of him planting an American Flag on a hill, eagle flying overhead, rifle slung over a shoulder, a white stallion behind him, shield raised as 'Proud to be an American' plays in the background, sung by a heavenly chorus. I do not think 'Super Soldier'.

LOL!!!

#14 Edited by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz said:

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

Cap is a Super Human. :V

@jonsmith said:

TEERACK MISSPELLED CAPTAIN AMERICA'S NAME.

EXECUTE THIS BLASPHEMOUS HEATHEN.

haha sssshhhh! You can't edit polls once they're posted >.<

#15 Posted by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

Cap is a Super Human. :V

Superhuman as in slightly above peak human in all physical aspects. Still no powers.

#16 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (10042 posts) - - Show Bio

I associate Steve Rogers with Captain America so I prefer that, I guess. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't think Steve Rogers as The Super Soldier Commander Rogers was cool as sh!t and loved Bucky as Cap.

#17 Edited by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz said:

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

Cap is a Super Human. :V

Superhuman as in slightly above peak human in all physical aspects. Still no powers.

Well he heals faster, and doesn't get tired. I don't really get why not having any real powers makes him less cool, but that's just me.

#18 Posted by Kramotz (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

Cap is a Super Human. :V

Superhuman as in slightly above peak human in all physical aspects. Still no powers.

Well he heals faster, and doesn't get tired. I don't really get why not having any real powers makes him less cool, but that's just me.

Don't worry, man. I guess I'm just part of the crazy minority who doesn't like him. :/

#19 Posted by The Stegman (20781 posts) - - Show Bio

@kramotz said:

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

@teerack said:

@kramotz said:

I use to like Cap as a kid, I will admit... until I discovered Spider-Man and every other Marvel hero that actually has powers.

@extremis said:

@kramotz: lol just trying to help but whatever

I don't see where the help's needed though. :/

Cap is a Super Human. :V

Superhuman as in slightly above peak human in all physical aspects. Still no powers.

Well he heals faster, and doesn't get tired. I don't really get why not having any real powers makes him less cool, but that's just me.

Don't worry, man. I guess I'm just part of the crazy minority who doesn't like him. :/

To be honest...I don't really like him either. I mean I don't hate the guy, but his solo comics always bored me.

#20 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefered him as the Super Soldier, it was a natural step up, i think his costume looks so much better, the energy shield was awesome, and he used more gadgets. All in all, i just thought it made him much better

#21 Posted by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefered him as the Super Soldier, it was a natural step up, i think his costume looks so much better, the energy shield was awesome, and he used more gadgets. All in all, i just thought it made him much better

I never understood why he didn't just keep BOTH the energy shield and his physical shield once he became Captain America again. I mean the energy shield is just a wristwatch. I can't really think of an intelligent reason why he wouldn't have both on him. I mean every soldier in the army carries a back up pistol with their rifle.

#22 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: exactly! Or even a sidearm or something. I mean, it's a weapon he throws, he's bound to lose it at some point even with his skill. It's common sense to have a back up.

#23 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@aiden_cross said:

I prefered him as the Super Soldier, it was a natural step up, i think his costume looks so much better, the energy shield was awesome, and he used more gadgets. All in all, i just thought it made him much better

I never understood why he didn't just keep BOTH the energy shield and his physical shield once he became Captain America again. I mean the energy shield is just a wristwatch. I can't really think of an intelligent reason why he wouldn't have both on him. I mean every soldier in the army carries a back up pistol with their rifle.

Cause he's Captain Effing America and HE DONT NEED NO G*DDAM BACKUP.

Haha but yeah, good point.

#24 Edited by Teerack (4549 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross said:

@teerack: exactly! Or even a sidearm or something. I mean, it's a weapon he throws, he's bound to lose it at some point even with his skill. It's common sense to have a back up.

Especially considering the day he became Captain America again his shield was shattered into pieces after only a few hours in uniform >.<

I think it would be cool if he had a bad ass custom pistol made by Iron Man or Hank Pym or something, but the gun thing doesn't bother me as much because it makes sens with what Cap thinks being Captain America should represented.

I've been really hopping that in his new suit the energy shield tech is built into BOTH his gloves, and they are just waiting for an awesome moment to reveal some epic 3 shield s**t. His gloves are more then bulky enough to fit the tech in.

#25 Posted by Dernman (14023 posts) - - Show Bio

wow this is so tough. The first one is iconic but I love the Super Soldier costume so much and always thought it was the perfect update/upgrade.

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he isn't written as a douche i am fine with whoever he is.

#27 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he isn't written as a douche i am fine with whoever he is.

LOL. Agreed! :-)

I prefer Captain America to the Commander Rogers but both are/were awesome. And as for the posters saying Cap needs some kind of back up to his shield. Remender said that eventually (after the Dimension Z arc, IIRC) Pym would be giving him gadgets and stuff. Which is cool, as long as it doesn't get to be too "Batman-esque", IMO

#28 Posted by Vitality (1755 posts) - - Show Bio

The Super Soldier.

I personally hate ridiculous over the top costumes.

I prefer the more modern and practical.

I honestly think Cap looked absurd in Avengers when he wore the helmet.

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27430 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

Nope.

#30 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@theacidskull said:

As long as he isn't written as a douche i am fine with whoever he is.

LOL. Agreed! :-)

I prefer Captain America to the Commander Rogers but both are/were awesome. And as for the posters saying Cap needs some kind of back up to his shield. Remender said that eventually (after the Dimension Z arc, IIRC) Pym would be giving him gadgets and stuff. Which is cool, as long as it doesn't get to be too "Batman-esque", IMO

Lets Hope Cap doesn't come like batman. and i'm glad remender managed to make Cap more.....patriotic. either way , even tough i don't love his writing, this has been decent;

#31 Posted by Oscars94 (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how Cap looks in Hickman's Avengers!

#32 Posted by jayskee (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer super soldier

#33 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

Of the two I'll have to go with Captain America. Too much desk work as "Super Soldier". That's not Steve

But Cap 2 may prove that you can have the best of both worlds......maybe

#34 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio
@tg1982 said:

@theacidskull said:

As long as he isn't written as a douche i am fine with whoever he is.

LOL. Agreed! :-)

I prefer Captain America to the Commander Rogers but both are/were awesome. And as for the posters saying Cap needs some kind of back up to his shield. Remender said that eventually (after the Dimension Z arc, IIRC) Pym would be giving him gadgets and stuff. Which is cool, as long as it doesn't get to be too "Batman-esque", IMO

it's about time. Every now and then, Brubaker utilized Cap's pouch powers, much more so than most writers.

#35 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmc said:

Of the two I'll have to go with Captain America. Too much desk work as "Super Soldier". That's not Steve

But Cap 2 may prove that you can have the best of both worlds......maybe

he better damn NOT look like that ^

ruining the Agent Colson approved threads = tres uncool

#36 Edited by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

I know we all prefer his classic Nomad days

#37 Edited by Xwraith (10926 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone actually voted Super Soldier?

#38 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmc said:

Of the two I'll have to go with Captain America. Too much desk work as "Super Soldier". That's not Steve

But Cap 2 may prove that you can have the best of both worlds......maybe

he better damn NOT look like that ^

ruining the Agent Colson approved threads = tres uncool

too late bro, leaked photos on set confirmed over a month ago

#39 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmc: Haven't been too into spoilers (make a point to skip those pesky trailers) but, uggh... don't think I can stand to look at that costume... might have to skip this offering from Disney

#40 Posted by DMC (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmc: Haven't been too into spoilers (make a point to skip those pesky trailers) but, uggh... don't think I can stand to look at that costume... might have to skip this offering from Disney

Well you don't think you can stand to.....but maybe you can. So what don't you like about it?

#41 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm somewhat of a traditionalist... I did enjoy the WWII era costume from the Captain America movie, and felt it had all the earmarks of the comic book costume but with those notable exceptions for it being a period piece set in WWII- fabric, fit and functionality as required.

The costume from the Avengers movie however was skirting the line for me... It looked more similar to the comic book costume than the WWII costume, but it had some incongruity in the details that made no sense (unlike the WWII costume, whose divergent details made perfect sense).

This costume is not the Captain America costume at all. I'm not saying I don't like Steve, but I'm not a big fan of when he steps aside from the identity that makes him relevant. Who cares about him when he's anything but Captain America? I for one don't, and if he's not going to be Cap in the next flick.. my money's stayin in my pocket-

N'uff Said?

#42 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

This may be a bit late to reply to but whatever I'll go for it.

I have a problem with his red white and blue costume, I'm not American so thats okay, and therefore I do prefer his Super Soldier costume because being a non American fan of his I kinda feel like I'm not entitled to like him because he was so in love with America. The Super Soldier costume whilst still retaining the stars and the white stripes to show he is American made it seem like he was more than just walking propaganda and more like the kinda guy that wants to protect the earth.

That is nothing against Americans, I'm British and like Captain Britain but I preferred the blue costume with the lion on the front over the one with the Union flag on his mask because it made it look like he wasn't exclusive to one country but more for the entire world while still retaining the qualities of his homeland.

#43 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

How do I prefer him? I prefer him when he's written well.

@tikhunt said:

@humanrocket said:

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

This may be a bit late to reply to but whatever I'll go for it.

I have a problem with his red white and blue costume, I'm not American so thats okay, and therefore I do prefer his Super Soldier costume because being a non American fan of his I kinda feel like I'm not entitled to like him because he was so in love with America. The Super Soldier costume whilst still retaining the stars and the white stripes to show he is American made it seem like he was more than just walking propaganda and more like the kinda guy that wants to protect the earth.

That is nothing against Americans, I'm British and like Captain Britain but I preferred the blue costume with the lion on the front over the one with the Union flag on his mask because it made it look like he wasn't exclusive to one country but more for the entire world while still retaining the qualities of his homeland.

Thumbs up to this. I have no problem with this belief.

I am fine with him being written as a patriot, but the type of patriot that stands for the ideals of what America should be rather than just agreeing with what whatever administration is in power. So I actually like his Nomad stage, (definitely not the costume lol) but it showed by the end of it that he realized he could stand for America without standing for whichever administration was in power. That's what I like about Cap. He is (in my mind) an actual patriot which to me means he believes in what America should be, meaning he has no problem questioning government actions.

#44 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

How do I prefer him? I prefer him when he's written well.

@tikhunt said:

@humanrocket said:

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

This may be a bit late to reply to but whatever I'll go for it.

I have a problem with his red white and blue costume, I'm not American so thats okay, and therefore I do prefer his Super Soldier costume because being a non American fan of his I kinda feel like I'm not entitled to like him because he was so in love with America. The Super Soldier costume whilst still retaining the stars and the white stripes to show he is American made it seem like he was more than just walking propaganda and more like the kinda guy that wants to protect the earth.

That is nothing against Americans, I'm British and like Captain Britain but I preferred the blue costume with the lion on the front over the one with the Union flag on his mask because it made it look like he wasn't exclusive to one country but more for the entire world while still retaining the qualities of his homeland.

Thumbs up to this. I have no problem with this belief.

I am fine with him being written as a patriot, but the type of patriot that stands for the ideals of what America should be rather than just agreeing with what whatever administration is in power. So I actually like his Nomad stage, (definitely not the costume lol) but it showed by the end of it that he realized he could stand for America without standing for whichever administration was in power. That's what I like about Cap. He is (in my mind) an actual patriot which to me means he believes in what America should be, meaning he has no problem questioning government actions.

His Captain America costume IS exactly about him being the standard, not just the ideal of what the USA could and should be, but also by wearing it during WWII he was America's Standard as defined: "a war flag (military flag, battle flag or standard) is a variant of a national flag for use by the nation's military forces on land", and honors not only the men and women who've fought side by side with him but all those who have fought for freedom.

His Super Soldier costume on the other hand is rather fascist looking and nazi-esque, and while wearing it he was actually cast in a role that could be characterized as just that... fascist supercop.

#45 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13 said:

How do I prefer him? I prefer him when he's written well.

@tikhunt said:

@humanrocket said:

Classic captain america. He's the first hero for marvel. Patriotism never gets old if you have a problem with the red white and blue get out of america.

This may be a bit late to reply to but whatever I'll go for it.

I have a problem with his red white and blue costume, I'm not American so thats okay, and therefore I do prefer his Super Soldier costume because being a non American fan of his I kinda feel like I'm not entitled to like him because he was so in love with America. The Super Soldier costume whilst still retaining the stars and the white stripes to show he is American made it seem like he was more than just walking propaganda and more like the kinda guy that wants to protect the earth.

That is nothing against Americans, I'm British and like Captain Britain but I preferred the blue costume with the lion on the front over the one with the Union flag on his mask because it made it look like he wasn't exclusive to one country but more for the entire world while still retaining the qualities of his homeland.

Thumbs up to this. I have no problem with this belief.

I am fine with him being written as a patriot, but the type of patriot that stands for the ideals of what America should be rather than just agreeing with what whatever administration is in power. So I actually like his Nomad stage, (definitely not the costume lol) but it showed by the end of it that he realized he could stand for America without standing for whichever administration was in power. That's what I like about Cap. He is (in my mind) an actual patriot which to me means he believes in what America should be, meaning he has no problem questioning government actions.

His Captain America costume IS exactly about him being the standard, not just the ideal of what the USA could and should be, but also by wearing it during WWII he was America's Standard as defined: "a war flag (military flag, battle flag or standard) is a variant of a national flag for use by the nation's military forces on land", and honors not only the men and women who've fought side by side with him but all those who have fought for freedom.

His Super Soldier costume on the other hand is rather fascist looking and nazi-esque, and while wearing it he was actually cast in a role that could be characterized as just that... fascist supercop.

... This does not really reflect on what I said. I made no mention of his costume, I prefer the red white and blue personally. As for that Nazi-esque look I disagree. To me it simply looks more like a kind of sleek spy uniform. There are a lot of characters that wear similar costumes that can wear it without looking like a "fascist". Maybe it seems like that because Captain America's physical appearance is similar to what was described as the Ubermensch in the terms of how the Nazi party viewed it. White, blonde hair, blue eyed and all that.

I always found it odd that when they created Captain America they made him look exactly like what the Nazis claimed was what the superior man's appearance should be. Possibly it was done as a f##k you to the Nazis in the sense that their so called superior man was on their side. Who knows.

#46 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: ok, well I thought this was about the costume, but I understand your point of view now after a re-read. As for the Uber-ness of the guy under the cowl, I would have to agree that it was certainly a spit in the face to the Nazis, intentional or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.