Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

He's ruined! For me that is.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheCrowbar

So I'm reading New Avengers, there's one panel when Cap gets up and protests an action they all want to take. I can't take him seriously, that whole moral cloth of the Marvel Universe thing is gone now. T'challa has a stronger moral cloth, to me, than Cap.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@TheCrowbar:What was the action he protested against?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

I've never really been interested in Captain America and I've read a lot of stuff with him in. He just seems so vanilla to me. There have, however, been a few moments of his that I've appreciated and I can see why his sort of character is both important and liked by so may people.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SUNMAN

@TheCrowbar: I think he's been poorly handled since the Heroic Age began. but maybe that is just me

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blood1991

Love Captain America. Forgot to pick this up yesterday so if you could give a little more on what was going on I could either defend the action or the character.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

@SUNMAN: I couldn't agree more.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: @Blood1991:

It's proposed that they destroy other Earth's to save their Earth and Captain America won't have it, he wants to stand against this kind of injustice blah blah blah. But the fact of the matter is, his moral fiber has been lacking since AvX. I haven't felt or seen him really reflect on his massive f-up. For him to show up and speak as the moral compass of the group is sorta dumb now. I half expected Mr. Fantastic to smack him upside the head and go "Remember when you went to war with mutants?" I can't see this character going back into his previous role after AvX. He shouldn't be so unscathed by it.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Matchstick

So this one issue ruined the character? Thats a bit melodramatic don't you think?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Matchstick: It wasn't the one issue, the one issue highlighted a larger problem with the character. He's not the moral leader of the Marvel Universe anymore even though writers keep trying to shoe horn him back into it. They messed up his characterization way too much.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar: I agree with him on not blowing up other Earth's. Those are still people no matter what reality. As for AVX he was no more in the wrong than any other character in that mess.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

A writer comes along and writes him in character and that ruined him for you?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Blood1991 said:

@TheCrowbar: I agree with him on not blowing up other Earth's. Those are still people no matter what reality. As for AVX he was no more in the wrong than any other character in that mess.

I think he's far more damaged by that event than anyone else.

@danhimself said:

A writer comes along and writes him in character and that ruined him for you?

The character crossed a line in AvX, trying to get him back to who he was puts him out of character. You don't just go back from that.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Matchstick

@TheCrowbar said:

@Matchstick: It wasn't the one issue, the one issue highlighted a larger problem with the character. He's not the moral leader of the Marvel Universe anymore even though writers keep trying to shoe horn him back into it. They messed up his characterization way too much.

Still, that's a bit much. Writers will come and go, sometimes he'll be writen well, sometimes not. No need to declare a character with 70+ years of history ruined because you don't like the direction he's gone in the last few years. Just learn to avoid the writers that don't know how to write him well.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By judasnixon
    @TheCrowbar: My advice to you is pay no mind to AVX. It was dumb. Don't let one bad run ruin a character for you forever. I believe Hickman has a good handle on Cap. 
    No Caption Provided
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

Someone's ignoring how Cap acted in AVX... and you consider this a bad thing???

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Matchstick: That event still happened, the damage was done and it was too large of an event to simply ignore so soon. The character he was in AvX isn't the character from the previous 70 years. @judasnixon: @InnerVenom123:

Maybe I just feel that AvX was too large of an event to simply ignore and move on from so soon. It seemed to me that it shook the foundations of that world but we don't really see any true consequences from it outside of everyone hating Cyclops. The action requires an equal reaction.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Matchstick

@TheCrowbar: There's no such thing as a ruined character. You can't damage a character, you can only write a story where you misuse them. A properly written character can come back from anything. Best learn to ignore PIS, you're gonna see a ton of it if you read comics long enough.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@judasnixon said:

@TheCrowbar: My advice to you is pay no mind to AVX. It was dumb. Don't let one bad run ruin a character for you for ever. I believe Hickman has a good handle on Cap.
    No Caption Provided

LMAO That's exactly what happened!!

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@TheCrowbar: A little over board don't ya think?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Smart_Dork_Dude: If I can't enjoy a character's presence is a book he is then ruined for me.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@TheCrowbar: Okay, but saying he's ruined is a bit much don't you think? I mean what DC is doing with Shazam is bugging me and they're doing a lot more to make me think he's ruined than just a few lines of diaglouge. Let them have Cap STEAL FROM AN ATM BECAUSE HIS FRIEND TOLD HIM TOO AND THEN TALK TO ME ABOUT A CHARACTER BEING RUINED!!!

Sorry for the outburst I just think you are being a little too touchy when there is no need to be. I'm still buying Justice League for the Shazam backups even though I think it's ruining the character but I hold onto the hope it's only temporary and he will go back to normal.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Smart_Dork_Dude: See I could be okay with that if Marvel just came out and said, "We're retconning the universe like DC!, AvX is our infinite crisis," But they didn't, this character now is horrifically inconsistent, I don't want to put money down for a character I don't know

krauser99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By krauser99

If you don't like Cap.

There's the door. :)

Despite these so called bad showings. Bru did incredible with him. This same argument can be made for Superjerk......ooops Superman. hehehe

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#23  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
    Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Can't we just pretend that AvX never happened?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By Teerack

@TheCrowbar: If you really think Black Panther has higher morals then Cap you either haven't read much of Cap or much of Black Panther.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.