First Official Captain America Movie Poster

• 124 results
Posted by G-Man (32696 posts) - - Show Bio

Earlier this week it was reported that we'd see the official The First Avenger: Captain America movie poster. Here it is. 

Where's the mask? It's clearly a case of the studios wanting to show off Chris Evans' face. It makes sense. But obviously this is a superhero movie. Who is it being made for or marketed to? People know they're getting a movie about a guy in a flag costume. 

I'm still unsure about the costume. This is WWII time. The costume, to me, looks too modern. There's also the shield. We know he'll have the first version so we have to assume that he gets the upgrade during the movie. Speaking of shields, what was the deal with the shield in Iron Man 2?  

What do you guys think about this? Should he have the mask on? Does it speak Captain America to you? The word also is we'll see a trailer or footage during the Super Bowl this Sunday.
Staff
#1 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7757 posts) - - Show Bio

Niiiiice. I like it i like it

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cool. As for the mask it may be on in future posters.

#3 Posted by norman (25 posts) - - Show Bio

feels like it's missing an 'r' :)

Staff
#4 Posted by G-Man (32696 posts) - - Show Bio
@norman: They ran out of room.
Staff
#5 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

So cool
#6 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool, and very Cap-ish.  I don't think he needs the mask on the poster, I mean Thor isn't wearing his helmet on his poster (or for a majority of the movie, I believe...)

#7 Posted by Hellos (8914 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks pretty damn cool.  
Can't wait for the teaser, I have high hopes for this film.
#8 Posted by SuperXAsh (509 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as it has Cap punching Nazis and fighting the Red Skull I'll be happy.

#9 Posted by nomadicxnightmare (142 posts) - - Show Bio

The costume does have a somewhat modern appearance if you compare it to WWII era attire. That being said, I think it's a good look overall. It's a good balance between the classic Cap costume and a more believable take on the suit. I doubt they are planning on changing his costume much once he hits present day in the Avengers movie, so I think of it as a bit of creative foresight on the designer’s part. 

Personally I do think having the mask on would have been more appropriate, but the poster is still pretty awesome as is.

#10 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice, I like the gritty feel of the poster and the textures, very much like Cap at war. I think the lack of mask and the facial expression brings more depth and intensity to the poster. I think it looks great.  Can't wait for that trailer.

#11 Posted by leokearon (1792 posts) - - Show Bio
@SuperXAsh said:
"As long as it has Cap punching Nazis and fighting the Red Skull I'll be happy. "

Actually he will mostly be punching HYDRA. 

Still the post looks good, can wait for it and the toys to come out
#12 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

not bad

#13 Posted by LordTaronji101 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY its about damn time

#14 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Still have no hopes for this film.  I think it will be far below what Thor will be.

#15 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@dondasch:
NAZI!!!!!!!!
#16 Posted by NightFang (9989 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mumbles said:
" not bad "
#17 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

The mask make him look slightly dorky, this works better for the serious tone.
#18 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio
@norman said:
" feels like it's missing an 'r' :) "
Maybe he will avenge something or someone.
#19 Posted by Ms. Omega (4450 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it

#20 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's his mask? The only thing that looks worse than his costume is his mask.

#21 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Arrrggh!  This damn CAP movie has me frustrated!  The ONLY movie I've liked from Johnson is THE ROCKETEER...I've been very underwhelmed and even disgusted by some of his other work (THE WOLFMAN anyone, JURASSIC PARK III...blurg).  As much as I want to hop on board with this I just can't.  I love CAP and he deserves a great flick to capture his awesomeness, but I was hooked by the teaser pics of WOLFMAN too and that was a downright terrible film with NO redeeming value whatsoever.  Sure, blame the writing, but the director bears the responsibility of the film...it is suppose to be their "direction" and vision brought to the screen.  Markus and McFeely are credited for the screenplays for three boring Narnia movies.  Needless to say...I'm very concerned.   

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

#22 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks pretty good.
#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

It's cool and all but it doesn't really scream WWII... or Captain America for that matter

#24 Posted by MiloshShomy (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it..... And I think that there will be a mask in the actual movie....

#25 Posted by GalactaSurfer (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice Epting homage

#26 Posted by Loki9876 (3015 posts) - - Show Bio
@thecheckeredman: they say he only worked the last 3 weeks on the wolfman and that therefore an other director was. (still it was terrible.)
#27 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like the poster, although I agree he needs to be wearing the helmet. I also much rather the round shield over the classic highway sign shield.

I also think the shield we saw in Iron Man 2 was obviously a prototype of Howard Stark.

#28 Posted by WillRobinson (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I see a lot of the Heroic Age Steve Rogers in the design for the First Avenger suit. Hm. 

#29 Posted by Circe (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't like the avenge... O.o where's the 'r' LOL

#30 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio
@thecheckeredman said:
"Arrrggh!  This damn CAP movie has me frustrated!  The ONLY movie I've liked from Johnson is THE ROCKETEER...I've been very underwhelmed and even disgusted by some of his other work (THE WOLFMAN anyone, JURASSIC PARK III...blurg).  As much as I want to hop on board with this I just can't.  I love CAP and he deserves a great flick to capture his awesomeness, but I was hooked by the teaser pics of WOLFMAN too and that was a downright terrible film with NO redeeming value whatsoever.  Sure, blame the writing, but the director bears the responsibility of the film...it is suppose to be their "direction" and vision brought to the screen.  Markus and McFeely are credited for the screenplays for three boring Narnia movies.  Needless to say...I'm very concerned.    Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. "

Did you forget how much producers and studios do when it comes to movies. You may have a movie directed by such and such and it's their vision and all that is supposed to be translated and all. But producers and studios get involved and stuff like Wolverine: Origins and X-Men 3 happens. But there are cases when you have the director's pure vision (Spider-Man 3). And it's not much better.  You can't mock a movie until you watch it. You may just like it. 

I miss being a kid, when there wasn't an internet and we had no real idea of what movies were coming out. We just watch the trailer and go wow that looks really good. That's how I felt when I watched the trailers for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Batman (with Michael Keaton). So I went and saw the movies and was still wowed. But now there is so much information overload, that we harsh on the movies. But I try my best not to rag, yeah there were times when I did. I sat down years ago and read that Willem DeFoe was going to be Green Goblin and make into crap, but he didn't. We were all concerned about Heath Ledger as the Joker. And that man alone set the level for comic book villains on film. And yes I am still at a point where I am not so sure about Chris Evans as Cap, when I still see Johnny Storm. But I am looking forward to the movie. We are going to be amazed or we are going to be pissed as hell. However until the day that we get off our collective asses and go and make a comic book movie the way we want it to be shown, we need to shut up and let them do their jobs.

PS:  the Rocketeer was not that good of a movie.
#31 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping for Fourth of July but YAY!

#32 Posted by Sacerdos87 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to be THROWING THE SHIELD!!!! Besides that its an okay poster.

#33 Posted by Jacory44Williams (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic
#34 Posted by MrDirector786 (43532 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks cool.

#35 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW.  Awesome!
#36 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like the poster. I think it is very reminisient of the that Fallen Son comic.

#37 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

During wartime is a mask really necessary?  The Comedian didn't wear a mask during Vietnam.

#38 Posted by red_rover (96 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @norman: They ran out of room. "
They would have had room for the "R" on Thor's chest.
#39 Posted by Raven0207 (1303 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Tribute to Steve Epting's Captain America #4 cover / Michael Turner's Civil War #1 Variant

#40 Posted by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope this doesn't suffer the "Topher Grace effect".

You know, the idea that in a movie you have to show off the star's face as much as possible, even if that means compromising the character. Spiderman 3, while clearly a bad movie in general suffered greatly from this.

#41 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are you all upset he's not wearing a mask in this poster? He shouldn't be. Think about it. The image is of him mourning, paying his respects to the dead and those affected by the war (symbolized by the flecks of dirt and debris all around him). So just like someone would take their hat off when making a similar gesture he's taken off his mask. 

This also works with the word "AVENGE". From what I understand of the plot the first part of the movie Cap isn't fightning because the military thinks he's too expensive to send to the front lines. It's only after some event that is caused by the Red Skull/Hydra that Cap is sent into battle. So in essence he is "avenging" those affecting by the actions of the Nazi's. This is of course what makes him the First Avenger. This would also help to make non-comic book readers understand why the modern team is called Avengers. In the comics it was just a cool name Wasp came up with but since then it has a meaning, the fact that the Avengers are a reactionary team vice a proactive one like X-Force. Rather than wait for modern audiences to come to this realization this movie will explain it through Caps' actions.

#42 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the shield from Iron man 2 was for Tony Stark designing a shield for Cap when he is found from the ice. 

#43 Posted by FireFlare153 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

SWEET! But where is the mask?
#44 Posted by emmbro30 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with G-Man.  I think the costume's look does not fit the period.

#45 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

As I said when I posted it on Screened and Giant Bomb, I think this looks fantastic. 

#46 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it.

#47 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! 
So Many FREAKIN' MARVEL MOVIES!!!!!!!!
#48 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like the idea of the helmet mask in combat because it would be functional, but it is pretty dorky looking. I'm glad they left it off the poster.

#49 Posted by quiksilver70777 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know that the Human torch was going to be in the Captain America movie?

#50 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

... costume looks a LITTLE better with the heavy photoshop. But im still ify...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.