Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Factors that may hinder Captain America Box Office take

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Saw another Trailer at the movies last night, my girlfriend leaned over and said "who the hell is that" which made me think

1. Oversea success is questionable, would you see a movie called Captain China about a chinese super-hero (I would) I can't say the same for everyone else. Also The eastern part of the world tends to favor Anime and Manga more than American comics, which when they see a comic related film is probably due to the fact you get see super-powers in action, or some kind of cool sci-fi adventure,unfortunately Cap doesn't have any powers and the film is with WW2 as it's back drop

2.This is directed at people unfamiliar with comics-- Cap is not as popular as you think, or at least I don't think he is, I think the Green Lantern was way more recognizable because he has appeared in "Superfriends" and was a main character in the Justice League animated series which went on for 5 seasons, aside from "guest appearences" in other animated cartoons, Cap never really had his own series or any claim to fame really, unless you count his horrible movie from the 90's(although I think the Daredevil movie did well) I mean he is currently appaering in The Avengers series, but if your an older person you may not be watching cartoons. Thor may have been a success in a way that "Clash of the Titans" was popular, it's subject matter not exclusive to super-heroes

3. It's up against the second week of Harry Potter, not just any potter the final one, I'm not really into Harry Potter, but for people with small children, they might be more inclined to see that one. The Potter films have also been huge all over the world and have followings as crazy as Star Wars or other comic movies.

I'm hoping Cap does well, he deserves it, but I'm questioning these points just for your opinion.

Do you think Cap has the ability to kill it in the box office? Do you have any friends that are non comic readers? Are they familiar with Cap? etc.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I thought they should have released this during the 4th of July weekend...
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wise Son
    @Jake Fury said:
    Yup.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By IrishX

A lot of people are traveling on 4th of July weekend or are just busy in general so that's not necessarily the best idea although I can understand how it would be cool timing.

Captain America is more known than Green Lantern in my opinion. The 1990 Cap film was not horrible.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By doordoor123
    @cattlebattle
    Also there has already been three origin stories this summer. Its part of the reason people didnt like Green Lantern. Same generic story over and over again. Weve seen too many origins.  
    But I think itll do well nonetheless.  
    Im sure itll do fine overseas. Its a Marvel movie. If Indiana Jones did well, then im sure this could.
    Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atari_Graphics

Capt America is waaaaaaaay more recognizable than GL

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Atari_Graphics said:

To non comic book readers?? really, I'm not saying your wrong but please explain

@doordoor123 said:
    @cattlebattle: Also there has already been three origin stories this summer. Its part of the reason people didnt like Green Lantern. Same generic story over and over again. Weve seen too many origins.  But I think itll do well nonetheless.  Im sure itll do fine overseas. Its a Marvel movie. If Indiana Jones did well, then im sure this could.

I know what your saying but First Class wasn't the basic origin story were used to seeing, and Thor wasn't that much of an origin story, it's more like "Thor goes to Earth" It doesn't really fall in with the mundane origin story like GL Iron Man Spider-Man and countless others where the hero spend half the movie not being that super
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Wise Son said:
    @Jake Fury said:
    Yup.
    Yup...still gonna watch it
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@cattlebattle: OH wow, did not realise it was going to be released during the second week of HP.. that was stupid of them!

I agree with your point about him not being popular, I DESPISE Captain America, but I found myself enjoying the trailer enough to think that I would watch it, so maybe they are relying on the quality of the film?.... hopefully better than GL?...

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Aiden Cross

Well, where I live (holland) I think about 90% has never even heard of Captain America. And since it's set in world war 2 i think a lot of people will go to the movie with different expectations and will be dissappointed. Thinking it's more like Saving Private Ryan then Iron Man or something.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Billy Batson

Not seeing it making a good profit outside of the U.S (I might be wrong, I hope not :p ) and yes GL is more recognizable than CA. 

BB

Stuka69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Stuka69
    @cattlebattle: Good questions and analysis! Also, one factor is that movies made in recent decades that tried to introduce a old and/or comic book hero that is not immediately regognizable to larger audiences failed miserably, The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom...
    Atari_Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Atari_Graphics
    @cattlebattle said:
    @Atari_Graphics said:

To non comic book readers?? really, I'm not saying your wrong but please explain

Well I guess I can only speak for myself. But before I ever picked up a single comic book, growing up in the 1980's I definitely heard of and knew about Captain America. I consider him an American icon much like Superman was back then. I didn't learn about Green Lantern until I started reading comics in the early 90's
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By TheCrowbar

1.) It's called First Avenger in other countries. 

2.) They've advertised it enough, and he was in the news recently(The Civil War death). His origin is easy to pick up and adapt to a film.

3.) Well damn...

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Amegashita

I'm sure in places like Germany and Japan, a movie that takes place during World War 2 is the last thing they want to watch on a weekend. 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By Dracade102
    @Amegashita said:
      I'm sure in places like Germany and Japan, a movie that takes place during World War 2 is the last thing they want to watch on a weekend. 
    That would be a cruel joke if that movie even comes out in Japan or Germany... Maybe that's part of the reason that HYDRA replaces the Nazis (as far as I know) in the movie...
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dorsk188

In America, I think Cap is well known to the general public (more as a caricature of the guy who punched Hitler or something rather than as the real, modern character).  If the movie gets good buzz, then I could see it doing fairly well.  It may even become a symbol for tea-partiers and super-patriot nationalists, like Passion of the Christ, but for Republicans.  That would be great for the box office numbers, but I'm not sure it would be great for the movie's image.  Overseas, I think it's going to be a bloodbath in certain countries, but probably do fairly well in UK and China, oddly.  Cool reception in Europe, but depending on the way the movie is written and the resulting buzz, I could see the film actually subverting the inevitable accusations that it's a jingoistic cheerleader for obnoxious American-centrism.  It's a real coin-flip right now, but I see it doing better than Lantern.  Comparable to Thor. 

I think Marvel won't be able to make a solo movie that does as well as the Spider-Man films for a while.  The bench is just a little shallow, barring someone making a genuine masterpiece.  They've hit solid triples and doubles leading up to the Avengers, which will be either a disaster or an all-star box office revolution.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cattlebattle
    @TheCrowbar said:
    1.) It's called First Avenger in other countries.   2.) They've advertised it enough, and he was in the news recently(The Civil War death). His origin is easy to pick up and adapt to a film.  3.) Well damn...
    1. Oh really, thats actually a smart move on their behalf, although The trailers seem to reveal a lot of content that people can pretty much put 2 and 2 together

2. Civil War was kind of a while ago, and I think only the US had it on the news, I actually haven't seen to many advertisements It still has a month to go though
    dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dorsk188
    @Dracade102 said:
    @Amegashita said:
    That would be a cruel joke if that movie even comes out in Japan or Germany... Maybe that's part of the reason that HYDRA replaces the Nazis (as far as I know) in the movie...
    HYDRA is a Nazi division, I think, in the movie.  I don't think the Japanese will be too upset, as the film takes place in the European theater.  I doubt Japan will even be mentioned.  Germany has weird rules about showing swastikas, so I don't know how or if the movie will be shown there.  I would imagine that was part of the reason HYDRA is the focus, though.  Either less swastikas on screen and maybe you can get it into German theaters, or it's fewer swastikas to CG out, if it's legally required.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#20  Edited By Dracade102
    @dorsk188 said:
    @Dracade102 said:
    @Amegashita said:
    HYDRA is a Nazi division, I think, in the movie.  I don't think the Japanese will be too upset, as the film takes place in the European theater.  I doubt Japan will even be mentioned.  Germany has weird rules about showing swastikas, so I don't know how or if the movie will be shown there.  I would imagine that was part of the reason HYDRA is the focus, though.  Either less swastikas on screen and maybe you can get it into German theaters, or it's fewer swastikas to CG out, if it's legally required.
    It probably is legally required... I've heard that you can't mention Nazism or Hitler without being arrested / fined in Germany... But I'm not 110% sure.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @cattlebattle said:
    @TheCrowbar said:
    1.) It's called First Avenger in other countries.   2.) They've advertised it enough, and he was in the news recently(The Civil War death). His origin is easy to pick up and adapt to a film.  3.) Well damn...
    1. Oh really, thats actually a smart move on their behalf, although The trailers seem to reveal a lot of content that people can pretty much put 2 and 2 together  2. Civil War was kind of a while ago, and I think only the US had it on the news, I actually haven't seen to many advertisements It still has a month to go though
    Is only called that in Russia and Korea, every where els its just Captain America 

Well not alot of my friends are into comic books so I'm not sure if they knew who he was before but the general feeling is a lot of them will see it coz it looks like a cool movie (I'm from Scotland)
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Anything and everything you in the US would consider patriotic is seen as extremely cheesy outside the US.
    And Captain America is basically completely unknown by the general public here. Moreso than Green Lantern. Pretty much everyone i know asks me what the deal with him is. Still most people are positive anyway since the trailers looks great and comic book movies are really popular now.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By GTG12

i really hope it does well. I think it will do fine in the US but not so sure in the other countries.
    CraftyArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CraftyArrow
    @.Mistress Redhead.: Why don't you like Captain America?
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@CraftyArrow said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: Why don't you like Captain America?

Just not a big fan of his, nothing in particular!

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Kairan1979

The factor that can greatly hinder the success of Captain America in Russia - NATO bombings of Lybia (and I'm absloutely not a fan of Gaddafi!).

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Kairan1979 said:
    The factor that can greatly hinder the success of Captain America in Russia - NATO bombings of Lybia (and I'm absloutely not a fan of Gaddafi!).
    I was going to mention facts like this, but the lat time I did, a bunch of viners treated me like Bin Laden and went all Nationalist on me
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

I couldn't care less about box office succes, I just want to see the bloody movie.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Bearded Justice

I will go out on a limb and make a claim.  This film will be considered the greatest comic book movie to date.  It will also make a ton of money, possibly coming close to The Dark Knight. 

Bearded Justice does not endorse claims made in this post.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.