Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Do you think Cap should be recognized as an American symbol?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

IRL Nationally do you think America should recognize Cap as a symbol of america?
    He was created during one of Americas worst wars and gave a symbol of hope to all the people in America IRL. 
    And he also represents everything America was founded on and his ideals and what he represents can be used as an example of the right track we as a country should stay on.
    Wouldn't it be cool if America's government recognized Cap and put him on money, have a statue of him, or whatever?
    Just a thought,

No Caption Provided
    Imagine that as a statue sitting in Washington DC.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Amegashita

I"d rather it be Stephen Colbert.
    daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daak1212

I think yeah.  Maybe him and Superman
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

I doubt that a fictional character will ever be printed on money

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Yes he should   
     CA is a REAL american hero not GI Joe lol.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Amegashita

The One True American Symbol:  Stephen Colbert
     The One True American Symbol:  Stephen Colbert
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By tensor

i don't think so alot of people don't even know about captain america

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daak1212

Captain America dosent have the clout like superman but his story is more of the american dream 

Being piss poor and then making something out of himself
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

no. Superman takes it.

Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
    darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 4

@BiteMe-Fanboy:
    Hell yeah! He's definitely a great symbol. He's one of the reasons I wanted to join the armed forces! Steve Rogers all the way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 651

superman and him side by side in the centre of dc 

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By IrishX
    @Theworldbreaker said:
    "Yes he should    CA is a REAL american hero not GI Joe lol. "

What?
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

He already is a national symbol/icon, just not offically.   

I think it's best if the Government doesn't officially do anything regarding Cap.  If they did it would only negatively affect the way the character is allowed to be portrayed.  Imagine the way charlatan politicians would attempt (and at times succeed) in co-opting and thus, corrupting the character by using his image to try and further every hair-brained partisan issue they advocate.  That means both the Democrats and the Republicans.  They're really one party masquerading as two. 

When it comes to what happens to anything the government (re:politicians and beureaucrats) puts there hands on, it's better to leave Cap alone. 

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Precise

Should? no. Could? yes.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andferne

I love Captain America, don't get me wrong. But I don't think he should be recognized as America's symbol.. that's a bit extreme.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By N7_Normandy

I wouldn't be against it; but judging by the way mainstream society regards comics, unlikely.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Caligula

no. he is a fictional character. it's kind of hard to take a country seriously that would hold an imaginary character in such high regard.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By progenitorigin

When Captain America was created, in the late 40's, his imagery was the American counterattack to Nazi propaganda, especially showing images of him punching out Adolf Hitler.  Captain America is, of course, an American creation, but in my opinion, he doesn't symbolize or represent the America of sparring politics, questionable governmental control.  When I think of Captain America, I think of the image of President George Washington, standing with one leg up on the boat, chin held high and dressed proudly.  A time when America was founded on the idealism of freedom, the right to of an individual to think freely and the right to free speech.  When I think of Captain America, I think of our forefathers that fought adamantly for our freedom as a country, the courage to stand up against a hyperpower. 

In a way, I think Captain America has gone beyond a purely American symbol.  He's a symbol for morality, doing the right thing even when it's not always agreeable with others.  I think that can be a universal symbol.  Let's face it, America isn't perfect, the leaders of America have not always been the best of people, questionable things have been done, but doing the right thing will always be an ideal people can look up to.  I grew up with Captain America being my absolute favorite comic character, and to this day that hasn't changed.  I do my best to lead a good life, I was raised to be a gentleman by my mother, I still hold the door open for a woman or child, even a man.  When I speak with someone older than me, I use the terms sir, ma'am, thank you, etcetera.  I'm not perfect, and I make a lot of mistakes, but I always try to live an honest life. 

Captain America will always depend on the person writing him, but as a character, as an idea, I think Captain America is more than an American symbol.  He's a hero where and when it counts.  He's not Superman, he has flaws, and he's not able to win every battle, but his heart is in every battle.  America can be proud in that a character representing the symbol of our country is someone that began as we all do, just a kid living a tough life during tough times, and yet still growing to become one of the most notable and recognizable characters in comic history.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By Deadcool

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

YES, because he does not represent the government, he represents the IDEAS that created freedom AMERICA... (Damn, that sounds corny).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.