Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Director Joe Johnston talks about Captain America's costume

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Precise

Joe Johnston Discusses How Captain America's Costume Will Work on Screen

So, how can you make a guy wearing the US flag not laughable? Joe Johnston has the answer!
    So how do they explain it? Well, you have Captain America join the USO circuit. What's a USO circuit?

Here's a brief description from www.USO.org

In 1941, the U.S. Army made a plea for entertainment for troops preparing for the war in training camps around the country. The Citizens Committee for the Army and Navy responded and, in May 1941, sent out seven travelling show buses, bringing entertainment to service men in Army camps east of the Rockies. Meanwhile, a Hollywood committee financed by agents and producers, and with the cooperation of the Screen Actors Guild, put on several large shows at military camps in California. But the demand for entertainment continued to increase. Later that year, the Citizens Committee for the Army and Navy, the USO and show business representatives met to come up with a solution. The result was USO Camp Shows, Inc., officially launched Oct. 30, 1941, as a separate corporation affiliated with and supported by the USO. USO Camp Shows, Inc., was designated by the War and Navy Departments as the "Official Entertainer" of the men and women of the armed forces. The USO's tradition of bringing entertainment to service members around the world was born.

So, their logic is they have created a Super-soldier but they can't make more so for them not to lose him easily he placed him in the USO circuit and gave him this flag suit. Which he can't wait to get out of.

"It was never in the comics," Joe Johnston said, "because they didn't really need it. In comics, he puts on the costume and the reader just justifies because of the nature of the medium."

When asked who will wield the shield. His reply that they are already testing five or six guys with the youngest being 23 and the oldest 32. Though they need to lock in an actor on March 1.

He confirmed that there will be more than one Captain America costume in the film.

"In the first USO sequences, the frustrated patriot will be wearing a version that is closer to the classic Jack Kirby-designed costume, but then later as the super-soldier hits the war zone he will be wearing a sturdier, more muted version that he makes himself that is more like battle togs. The stripes across his mid-section, for instance, will be straps, not colored fabric."

"He realizes the value of the uniform symbols but he modifies his suit and adds some armor, it will be closer to the Cpa costume in some of the comics in more recent years...this approach, it's the only way we could justify ever seeing him on a screen in tights, with the funny boots and everything. The government essentially puts him up there as a living comic-book character and he rips it off and then reclaims some of its imagery after he recognizes the value of it. We think it's the best way to keep the costume and explain it at the same time."

So what do you think about all this? I must say I have mixed feelings seeing Captain America in a USO but we’ll see how that turns out. I do like the idea of seeing him in multiple costumes.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce Vain

Don't know if I'm crazy about the USO part either.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'll wait until they actaully start filming or at least send out some art work for the movie before I start to judge.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Wait. So he wears the costume because he is some kind of entertainer for the USO?..... His costume is suppose to 'entertain' the soldiers?.... and he can't wait to get out of it?\

Wait now.

What........the.........f*ck.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Andferne

I'll hold my judgment until I see how things turn out. I have high hopes for this movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Andferne said:
    "I'll hold my judgment until I see how things turn out. I have high hopes for this movie. "
    As do I
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andferne
    @War Killer: I think it could turn out to be one kick @$$ war movie if done correctly.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Andferne: I agree, that's why I'm not so worried if they say it's not your normal superhero movie, because Cap's not a superhero in that time, he's a soldier watching his fellow man running into battle, not knowing if they'll even come back, that's not something you would normal see in a Spider-Man movie. But as to this news, I won't judge anything until I actually see what the uniforms look like, because as of right now, this is only statements of what is going to happen, things could be possible changed.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I want to hold back my judgement but man.. from what i just read it sounds pretty damn bad.
    Maybe not the whole movie, but i just dont like the idea of the only reason Steve wears the costume is because he is an entertainer for the USO.
    That's just horrible.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andferne

I think the 'first' costume will end up being similar to the Ultimate look. Then later on getting a more refined one.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I can already see the story. Cap is entertaining troops when nazis attack and kill everyone, thus leaving cap by himself and having to fight off nazis.

oh man... i just have this bad gut feeling.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By ComicCrazy

This sounds promising.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Erik

I think it is a great way to explain the costume. The idea that he just happily jumps into tights like in the classic comic is just stupid. At least they are trying to explain it in a way that makes sense. It is a moral booster for the troops. 

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Andferne
    @erik: Agreed.
    Sure even at the start majority of the soldier would think of him much like a clown or mascot. But then once that first squad gets to see him in action word starts to spread. And a legend begins.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Erik
    @Andferne said:
    " @erik: Agreed. Sure even at the start majority of the soldier would think of him much like a clown or mascot. But then once that first squad gets to see him in action word starts to spread. And a legend begins. "
    Exactly. It would be a hard sell for Steve at first because he is forced to look like a clown but when he starts to prove himself, he would become a symbol. 
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @Andferne said:

" @erik: Agreed. Sure even at the start majority of the soldier would think of him much like a clown or mascot. But then once that first squad gets to see him in action word starts to spread. And a legend begins. "

So they are going to inject him with the Super soldier serum and give him all his hardcore training then decide to just send him into the USO? Because he is 'one of a kind' and that they dont want to risk losing him?
    I admit the costume is hard to portray without lookin just plain silly, but Cap was 'created' to be a 100% badass and to lead troops on the frontlines of WW2.. Not to end up being some 'clown' for the army.

Ultimate Captain America
    Ultimate Captain America

Not hard to make without making it look cheesy,
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Erik
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " @Andferne said:
    So they are going to inject him with the Super soldier serum and give him all his hardcore training then decide to just send him into the USO? Because he is 'one of a kind' and that they dont want to risk losing him? I admit the costume is hard to portray without lookin just plain silly, but Cap was 'created' to be a 100% badass and to lead troops on the frontlines of WW2.. Not to end up being some 'clown' for the army. "
    It makes sense if you think about it. How can you even begin to recreate more super soldier serum if the only sample you have access to (Captain America) is vaporized in battle? They will probably have him on the side lines in some place that is supposed to be safe for him, the sh!t will hit the fan and he will prove that he is more than capable of handling himself and is afterwards cleared for active duty. To me that makes much more sense than, "We just spent half a billion dollars to create this one of a kind super soldier. Let's send him in to the deepest, darkest sh!t before the paint on his shield dries".
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andferne
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " I admit the costume is hard to portray without lookin just plain silly, but Cap was 'created' to be a 100% badass and to lead troops on the frontlines of WW2.. Not to end up being some 'clown' for the army. "
    What I mentioned was from the view of the other soldiers. Think of it like this. You have been on the front lines fighting your @$$ off, in the thick of things. Now your superiors are telling you that they have this secret weapons. A 'Super' Soldier. Guy shows up as base camp in a red, white, and blue uniform. The soldiers are going to think this some kind of joke. Not take it seriously. But then once they are out in the field and see him in action. Their views would change because he is out there untouchable, so to speak.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @erik said:

" @BiteMe-Fanboy said:

" @Andferne said:
    So they are going to inject him with the Super soldier serum and give him all his hardcore training then decide to just send him into the USO? Because he is 'one of a kind' and that they dont want to risk losing him? I admit the costume is hard to portray without lookin just plain silly, but Cap was 'created' to be a 100% badass and to lead troops on the frontlines of WW2.. Not to end up being some 'clown' for the army. "
    It makes sense if you think about it. How can you even begin to recreate more super soldier serum if the only sample you have access to (Captain America) is vaporized in battle? They will probably have him on the side lines in some place that is supposed to be safe for him, the sh!t will hit the fan and he will prove that he is more than capable of handling himself and is afterwards cleared for active duty. To me that makes much more sense than, "We just spent half a billion dollars to create this one of a kind super soldier. Let's send him in to the deepest, darkest sh!t before the paint on his shield dries". "
    Steve was the first test subject of the super soldier serum. he was basically made to be send out to 1. lead troops in the war and more importantly 2. test out what they are experimenting in making stronger, quicker, etc. soldiers for the U.S. army. They didn't create the serum for just one person. Steve is the first test subject for them. It could easily be done in the movie other than making him an entertainer for the soldiers.

@Andferne said:

" @BiteMe-Fanboy said:

" I admit the costume is hard to portray without lookin just plain silly, but Cap was 'created' to be a 100% badass and to lead troops on the frontlines of WW2.. Not to end up being some 'clown' for the army. "
    What I mentioned was from the view of the other soldiers. Think of it like this. You have been on the front lines fighting your @$$ off, in the thick of things. Now your superiors are telling you that they have this secret weapons. A 'Super' Soldier. Guy shows up as base camp in a red, white, and blue uniform. The soldiers are going to think this some kind of joke. Not take it seriously. But then once they are out in the field and see him in action. Their views would change because he is out there untouchable, so to speak. "

I agree. Like the picture above, it wouldnt be hard to portray that certain costume without making it silly looking. He could arrive on the front lines, the troops doubting  him and thinking like you said is a joke, but he turns out to be a great leader and leads them through the war and thus gaining their respect and becoming a legend. it's simple. The costume being a symbol of America, striking fear into the hearts of the Nazi's and quickly becoming infamous to them.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Erik
    @BiteMe-Fanboy:  
    I never said they only created it for one person. The simple fact of the matter is that they have only one person who has it. The creator of the serum was killed immediately after giving it to Steve. Everyone knows this. Once he is the only thing that has the serum, he becomes more valuable than anything in the US army. They would not put him in a situation that might cause him to be lost right off the bat. 
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer said:
    " I'll wait until they actaully start filming or at least send out some art work for the movie before I start to judge. "
    same here. they modified the Spider-Man costume but still retianed the look at the same time
    and it worked out great.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @War Killer said:
    " I'll wait until they actaully start filming or at least send out some art work for the movie before I start to judge. "
    same here. they modified the Spider-Man costume but still retianed the look at the same time and it worked out great. "
    I agree, although the only thing I didn't like about Spider-Man's suit was that there is no way Peter could make that suit with what he was making at the Bugle/pizzaboy, but it still looked cool xD
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I get where you are coming from but why use someone of that great ability and power for entertaining? That is basically a slap to the face of the creator of the super soldier serum. yes he is one of a kind, since the knowledge of how to create the serum was lost, but why waste what has been created? They could use him in the war. If killed, oh well. After Steve is injected with the serum and the doctor is killed, do they decide to train him anyway? and at the last moment say... 'wait...we can't risk him being killed. lets just force our super soldier who can be a great help to our soldiers in the war and send him to just give them some good ole' entertainment, screw all the training we just gave him.' if they just send him to the USO without the training and when he steps up and leads the troops just automactically knows how to kick ass then that is just plain stupid.

You say why would they waste all the money they poured into Operation: Rebirth by risking Cap to be killed in the war, but at the same time its a waste of the money to just send him off to entertain soldiers as a 'clown'.. They could come up with something so much better than that... really.

Some of you might just say its ignorant, but i just can't accept all that, being a die hard cap fan.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erik
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " I get where you are coming from but why use someone of that great ability and power for entertaining? That is basically a slap to the face of the creator of the super soldier serum. yes he is one of a kind, since the knowledge of how to create the serum was lost, but why waste what has been created? They could use him in the war. If killed, oh well. After Steve is injected with the serum and the doctor is killed, do they decide to train him anyway? and at the last moment say... 'wait...we can't risk him being killed. lets just force our super soldier who can be a great help to our soldiers in the war and send him to just give them some good ole' entertainment, screw all the training we just gave him.' if they just send him to the USO without the training and when he steps up and leads the troops just automactically knows how to kick ass then that is just plain stupid. You say why would they waste all the money they poured into Operation: Rebirth by risking Cap to be killed in the war, but at the same time its a waste of the money to just send him off to entertain soldiers as a 'clown'.. They could come up with something so much better than that... really.  Some of you might just say its ignorant, but i just can't accept all that, being a die hard cap fan. "
    It will probably be similar to the Ultimate universe in the sense that he got most of his training during his time in the experiment. How would it make sense to anyone that they just toss away this irreplaceable power they discovered with no knowledge of how to recreate it? I still think their intention will be to play it safe with him until he is unintentionally put in a dangerous situation and proves that he is more valuable to them fighting than being a motivational speaker. Once that happens, they will clear him for active duty. 
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: 
    lol. maybe Spider-suit fabric is the #132nd use for his Spider-webbing?
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @erik said:
    " @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " I get where you are coming from but why use someone of that great ability and power for entertaining? That is basically a slap to the face of the creator of the super soldier serum. yes he is one of a kind, since the knowledge of how to create the serum was lost, but why waste what has been created? They could use him in the war. If killed, oh well. After Steve is injected with the serum and the doctor is killed, do they decide to train him anyway? and at the last moment say... 'wait...we can't risk him being killed. lets just force our super soldier who can be a great help to our soldiers in the war and send him to just give them some good ole' entertainment, screw all the training we just gave him.' if they just send him to the USO without the training and when he steps up and leads the troops just automactically knows how to kick ass then that is just plain stupid. You say why would they waste all the money they poured into Operation: Rebirth by risking Cap to be killed in the war, but at the same time its a waste of the money to just send him off to entertain soldiers as a 'clown'.. They could come up with something so much better than that... really.  Some of you might just say its ignorant, but i just can't accept all that, being a die hard cap fan. "
    It will probably be similar to the Ultimate universe in the sense that he got most of his training during his time in the experiment. How would it make sense to anyone that they just toss away this irreplaceable power they discovered with no knowledge of how to recreate it? I still think their intention will be to play it safe with him until he is unintentionally put in a dangerous situation and proves that he is more valuable to them fighting than being a motivational speaker. Once that happens, they will clear him for active duty.  "
    I dunno, man.You're making sense,but I guess I just have to wait and see... But at the moment, i am having doubts.

I wouldn't mind at all if they just stayed true to the comics, even if the questioning of why they would send their only SS in were to arise by the fans.. It is comics, not reality. I wouldn't think it would be such a big deal if they just did it the way they did it in the comics. I am just not a big fan of drastic changes Hollywood does to movies based off a book, game, etc.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @CATMANEXE: Who knows, I just don't understand why they put the little scales in the blue parts of the suit, they were pointless and Peter could never do all of this with just a sowinng needle.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Also, from another thread i just read and on the source provided, it seems that the Invaders will be making an appearance in the movie. Which is pretty damn awesome, but.... if they carry out the plan of Cap being a entertainer in the USO how will they put human torch, union jack, namor, etc. into the mix? Once Cap realizes that he shouldn't be wasting his powers on entertaining the troops that he should be helping, will he just run into them without having knowledge of them and start working with them? Or will he know about them and be like 'man. im a super soldier, i am definately qualified to be on their team, but i was forced to be just a lousy entertainer.' when he meets them, and eventually starts working with them because he discovers that the SS he was giving had the purpose of making him a  badass and not a entertainer?

it just... causes to much problems with having steve in the USO..... im sure they have it figured out, but it just doesnt sound right to me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By joshmightbe
    @BiteMe-Fanboy:
    the USO could be used as a cover making the enemy believe hes just an entertainer  and not a true threat
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erik
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " @erik said:
    " @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    It will probably be similar to the Ultimate universe in the sense that he got most of his training during his time in the experiment. How would it make sense to anyone that they just toss away this irreplaceable power they discovered with no knowledge of how to recreate it? I still think their intention will be to play it safe with him until he is unintentionally put in a dangerous situation and proves that he is more valuable to them fighting than being a motivational speaker. Once that happens, they will clear him for active duty.  "
    I dunno, man.You're making sense,but I guess I just have to wait and see... But at the moment, i am having doubts.  I wouldn't mind at all if they just stayed true to the comics, even if the questioning of why they would send their only SS in were to arise by the fans.. It is comics, not reality. I wouldn't think it would be such a big deal if they just did it the way they did it in the comics. I am just not a big fan of drastic changes Hollywood does to movies based off a book, game, etc. "
    I can understand how you feel. But I think the reasoning for it is that not all people are comic book fans and them making this one change is a sound and logical way to explain the costume to those that wont just accept it because it is a comic, because it is not a comic at all. I also think the Ultimate Captain America should be the one this movie is based on. His stories are more modern and he is simply a more bad a$$ character. Plus his WWII stuff was awesome. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By danhimself
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " Also, from another thread i just read and on the source provided, it seems that the Invaders will be making an appearance in the movie. Which is pretty damn awesome, but.... if they carry out the plan of Cap being a entertainer in the USO how will they put human torch, union jack, namor, etc. into the mix? Once Cap realizes that he shouldn't be wasting his powers on entertaining the troops that he should be helping, will he just run into them without having knowledge of them and start working with them? Or will he know about them and be like 'man. im a super soldier, i am definately qualified to be on their team, but i was forced to be just a lousy entertainer.' when he meets them, and eventually starts working with them because he discovers that the SS he was giving had the purpose of making him a  badass and not a entertainer?  it just... causes to much problems with having steve in the USO..... im sure they have it figured out, but it just doesnt sound right to me. "
    maybe a threat is discovered (Red Skull) that is so big that the guys in charge have no choice but to put Steve into battle and they put him in charge of the Invaders
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Nighthunter

Meh, not my cup of tea. I really don't like the idea but will have to wait to pass judgement, maybe its just me but I always loved the real origin and would prefer it untouched.

jonasLighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jonasLighter

Cap's costume not only represents him as a figure-head, but it is also functionable. It protects him from small arms fire.
    Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Andferne
    @jonasLighter: It's also said to protect him from fire.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.