Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Chris Evans on Playing Captain America

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    ScreenStar recently scored an interview with star of the upcoming Captain America movie, and current star of The Losers, now in theaters, Chris Evans. Evans also recently  played Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, in two Fantastic Four films. Chris Evans will be playing Steve Rogers, a young man injected with the super-soldier serum to make him the first super-soldier of WWII. Hopefully, we'll see some Nazi punching action. However, Chris does seem a little nervous about the role.

I'm a little scared, to be honest.  I'd be lying if I said anything else, and I have no problem being honest about that.  It's intimidating.  It's a big responsibility and you want to do your best work...  It was a challenging process for me, trying to decide whether or not to do it... the script is great and it's going to be a fun character to play... He's an incredibly noble, honest, selfless man, and those are qualities that I think people can aspire to and look up to.

I don't blame him. Those are some big shoes to fill, and the fans are the ones who will get the most upset with this. I've never really seen Evans in a real serious role, but I can tell you that I thought he did a pretty good job with Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four films, even if the films were less than fantastic. (see what I did there?) He personally wasn't my first choice for the role, but I think he'll do fine. As long as he just plays the role to the best of his ability, and he ignores the worry-warts on the internet, I'm sure he'll do a great job as Captain America. Heck, he may even redefine the role as Heath Ledger did with the Joker. Heath spent a lot of time on teen-romance-comedy type films, and after breaking through in Brokeback Mountain, he is now known to many people for his work in that film as well as The Dark Knight. I'm not saying that Chris will for sure have that effect after playing Cap, but it's a possibility.

Chris is now becoming a comic book film icon as in addition to Human Torch, Captain America, and as Jensen of the Losers, he'll be appearing in Scott Pilgrim this summer as Lucas Lee. He will officially have more comic related roles than Ryan Reynolds when Captain America comes out. Captain America: The First Avenger will hit theaters next year, so you've got some time before the film comes out.

What do you guys think about Evans as Cap? Should he be scared to take on the role?
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kurrent

He was also in Push which had comic book elements! I like Chris Evens as an actor and I am looking forward to the movie

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I'm ok with this, i mean the other options were bad and just be happy its not robert pattinson XD.

Mooned Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mooned Knight

I thought he was the best part of the FF movies, he played a perfect Johnny. I think this role though has the possibility of showing that more serious side, imagine him running out into the battlefield and yelling, 

"LET'S CAP IT UP!"

*money machine starts working*

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Nyogtha

I'm confident in him, I like him a lot. Push was a pretty out there movie, but he made his character interesting and he was really good as Johnny. I'm sure he'll do great as Cap.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I think he can do it.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

I don't think he'll be bad.  Captian America doesn't really come off as that difficult of a character to play.  He's a pretty straight forward kind of charcater nothing that deep or hidden.  He's just what he is a super soldier.  He's not quirky like Spider-man, or somewhat savage like Wolverine.  He doesn't have any hidden demons.  He's pretty much an open book and what you see is what you get.  No burdens other then just being leader, without the negatives of other leaders like Cyclops who is dealing with the race issue and has so much of the public hating him.  Or even Superman who seems to come off like he's holding back sometimes because his power is so broad that he has to keep it in check to a point.  He just does what's right.  He doesn't have to act like a character who has a side issue to deal with. 
    gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By gui22

I´m not scared.

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

I hope he's up to it. How patriotic can he be?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

im just really glad the guy from the office didnt get the part
    rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By rlmay3

I saw him in Sunshine recently. His acting in that movie really reassured me that he can pull this off.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Namor1987

I think he's going to do a phenomenal job in this role

Slow Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slow Burn

Im really looking forward to seeing him as Cap

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm not thrilled but I'm not upset either. I think he was the best choice out of all those candidates that they were considering.

If he really hits the gym hard he'll be in even better shape. Cause if you if you watch him Fantastic Four 2 he's was pretty big in that one.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By sora_thekey

I have never seen him play a serious role, but now that I think about it, this movie will be about the teenager becoming the American Hero... so those comedic elements he tends to play could be included ass he becomes the Captain America we all love!

I'm not upset with the choice... and the fact that he's worried about filling Cap's shoes means he's taking the role seriously!

Britt601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Britt601

Well, being an actor means the ability to be versatile in your roles, right? I've known him as the funny guy, so it'll be nice to see him take on a responsible role.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

*sigh* .... it could be worse, I guess. Let's hope he does a good job.

mightiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By mightiness

I have serious doubts about him playing Cap but none of Marvel's prospects seemed very good at all.

4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 4Essence

I really didn't think too much of this choice at first, but I think he can pull it off, and he'll probably end up surprising us all.
    Marius138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Marius138

Captain America represents an ideal and I don't think anyone is truly cut out to play the part.  All they can do is try to find someone who won't massacre the role.  I just really hope  Chris Evans gets it right.

Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Speedy92286

I think he'll do just fine. I think people forget that Cap also has a fun side that Evans captures perfectly. If he dyes his hair blonde, works out, and gets a decent costume, he will be a shoe-in for the role. I never had a problem with his acting, so I am sure that if the script is good and every other part of the movie is great, he will do a phenomenal job.

mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mv

he did well in sunshine i think he can pull it off

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bio Guyver
    @War Killer said:
    " I think he can do it. "
    Lady Tlieso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lady Tlieso

I think he'll do a great job. He was much bigger (muscles wise)  in The Losers then he was in Fantastic Four.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Precise

I think he'll do great. I liked him in his other roles and i'm sure he'll nail this one as well.

Alecs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Alecs

If we also have to compare, we have to do with actors who have played the same role. I think that anyone can do a better job than Matt Salinger in the 1990 version.  And when compared to his role as the Human Torch in Fantastic 4, I think has a chance to climb higher.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cmaprice

Also, he was in Push.

wordchallenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wordchallenge

I thought Evans as Jensen in the The Losers was the best part of that movie. He stole every scene he was in.

Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @Kurrent said:
    " He was also in Push which had comic book elements! I like Chris Evens as an actor and I am looking forward to the movie "
    me too :)
    Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bats

I don't blame him for being a little nervous - but a little nerves will do him good. 
    It might push him more... 
    Even though he wasn't my first choice, I think he'll do a great job.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#30  Edited By SevanGrim

he should be damn scared. Im guessing he would do great even if he wasnt, but alot of the time good films are hated by the populace for stoopid little things that are out of the film makers control. 
    i dont like the choice, but i think it will work out. Evans has allot of talent.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By EdwardWindsor

loved the movie sunshine"brought on blueray" and  i think he showed a few aspects he could take with him into cap role , as well as generally haveing a good peformance in the moviewithout a comedic feel at all.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Moomin123

I'm a little annoyed that Evans gets all these roles in the comic book world. However, I do think he'll be a good Capt. America.

MikeIsrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikeIsrael

If someone brings me some real super soldier serum as a gift, I might think about writing directing and recording this movie.  

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By dane

I'm really worried to be honest. Captain America is such an amazing example of, essentially, human perfection. I really don't know if Chris Evans can capture that. I'm not even sure anybody could.

UltimateHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By UltimateHero

At least they gave it to an American.
    Wish he had a more commanding voice though.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By PowerHerc

Facial features not chiselled enough.  Build not right.  Already resonates with comic fans as the Human Torch.  Will he be blonde as Cap (they did'nt bother to make Johnny Storm blonde)? 

I really wish they'd found someone who looked more the part, instead of like a generation X smart-ass.  I'd have been happier with an unknown. 
    I hope he does a great job and wins me over.  At least he's American and white ( I still can't believe they cast Will Smith as James West in 'The Wild, 
    Wild West.  I mean they would'nt cast Al Pacino as Fred Sanford in a 'Sanford and Son' movie.  And they should'nt ), which keeps the character true  
    to how the fans recognize, know and expect to see him. 

jlavengerx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jlavengerx77

what if in a few years, they make a movie w/cap and torch? I think he will do good though.

Tony Rogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Tony Rogers

i can't wait to see evans as  cap

no matter what people say he was a good human torch

and the losers looks like an amazing movie so.....

plus he's in scott pilgrim

so i wager that evans has a future in comic book movies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.