Captain Cage America

#1 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I think it would ruin who Luke Cage is. $#@!ing working for da man is you crazy :P

#2 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cage should be the new Cap.Why? Because he has ideals and it would be a cool change of pace.

#3 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

He would be the face of the new American Ideal. Bump all that working for the man. He would not be much anything like Steve Rogers.

#4 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Sling Shot says:

"He would be the face of the new American Ideal. Bump all that working for the man. He would not be much anything like Steve Rogers. "

I have to agree with Gambler on this one. If he is nothing like steve rogers then he is nothing like Captain America.

#5 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely see both of your points.

#6 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean I think I see what your trying to say. Cage being Captain America would usher in a new era, a new America, but that ain't who he is. He isn't all about reppin the country, he's almost an anti-hero, and underground type guy. Now Patriot I think should be the new Cap, his got a blood line to thee original Cap and I think they could do some cool stuff off from that.

#7 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

if that's what tehy were gonna do, why not just have falcon be cap? he's much closer to cap than cage is.

#8 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Cage isn't a symbol per se, but I could see him fading back into obscurity if Bendis leaves because of his standard super hero-ness.

His moniker is his actual last name (like Bishop). He wears normal clothes, although he does tend to stick to a color scheme. And unless he becomes the hard nose private eye type I think MArvel will blaxploitate him into the background when Bendis isn't there to care about him. In this evolving Marvel where everyone is getting power upgrades and identity makeovers Cage could get lost in the shuffle and sinvce he is an original I think his pertinence should be upgraded to stay fresh. SPidey is on his strength level, every one heals or has tougher skin than him.

I think it would be cool if he had the same power Night tHrasher had,since he can't use it,of an impregnable psyche to match his skin. That would give him more story opportunities and when fighting other than bruiser types it would give him an edge.

#9 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

So its really more about keeping Cage relevant as opposed to him being a good fit for the role of Captain America. I can agree with that.

#10 Posted by Legendary Bio Vishanti (3333 posts) - - Show Bio

if Cage were as patriotic as Steve, do u think he could?

#11 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see Cage as a Captain America. But I think they should upgrade his powers. His durability has always been at high levels but his strength should increase so that he could exchange blows with at least Thing.

#12 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"I don't really see Cage as a Captain America. But I think they should upgrade his powers. His durability has always been at high levels but his strength should increase so that he could exchange blows with at least Thing."

Why? Why do all characters have to lift over 100 tons?

#13 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Nobody says:
"I don't really see Cage as a Captain America. But I think they should upgrade his powers. His durability has always been at high levels but his strength should increase so that he could exchange blows with at least Thing."
Why? Why do all characters have to lift over 100 tons? "
I don't Thing does. He only lifts about 75 tons. That keeps him out of the big league heavy hitters but keeps up there to where he can be considered a threat.
#14 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody says:

"Valkaad says:
"Nobody says:
I don't Thing does. He only lifts about 75 tons. That keeps him out of the big league heavy hitters but keeps up there to where he can be considered a threat. "

Thing in the eighties/early nineties was 85 tons, I think (not sure) he is now class 100.

#15 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Nobody says:
"Valkaad says:
"Nobody says:
I don't Thing does. He only lifts about 75 tons. That keeps him out of the big league heavy hitters but keeps up there to where he can be considered a threat. "
Thing in the eighties/early nineties was 85 tons, I think (not sure) he is now class 100. "
Well I still think Cage needs some sort of upgrade. Spidey is just has strong as he is now, and Spidey is not known for his strength.
#16 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Cage should be the Cap. I personally think that somebody brings Steve back because there is no other Captain America.

I do agree however, that Luke Should be more powerful. Wasn't original Luke Cage like 5 tons? Original Spidey was 10...

#17 Posted by G-Man (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Also keep in mind that in the latest issue of New Avengers (http://www.comicvine.com/comic/new-avengers/11497/114394/), Dr. Strange did a spell to reveal what their true intentions were and what how they saw themselves and wanted to be like. Luke Cage's image was wearing the satin shirt and tiara. I don't think he'd want to wear Cap's suit. Hawkeye (or Ronin) saw himself as Cap. That I could see. Even Iron Man tried giving him the real shield. But over Clint, it should go to Bucky (Winter Soldier) until Steve comes back.

Staff
#18 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Also keep in mind that in the latest issue of New Avengers (http://www.comicvine.com/comic/new-avengers/11497/114394/), Dr. Strange did a spell to reveal what their true intentions were and what how they saw themselves and wanted to be like. Luke Cage's image was wearing the satin shirt and tiara. I don't think he'd want to wear Cap's suit. Hawkeye (or Ronin) saw himself as Cap. That I could see. Even Iron Man tried giving him the real shield. But over Clint, it should go to Bucky (Winter Soldier) until Steve comes back."

I was thinking about Winter, but I wasn't exactly sure if he was still alive.

#19 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

" But over Clint, it should go to Bucky (Winter Soldier) until Steve comes back."

For a second I thought you wanted me to be Cap.

#20 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"G-Man says:
" But over Clint, it should go to Bucky (Winter Soldier) until Steve comes back."
For a *second* I thought you wanted me to be Cap."

Lol.

#21 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think there should be a new captain america... its like asking for a new wolverine or thor

#22 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"i dont think there should be a new captain america... its like asking for a new wolverine or thor"

No it's not.

#23 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Rotten gun says:
"i dont think there should be a new captain america... its like asking for a new wolverine or thor"
No it's not."

why not?

#24 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap stands for an ideal. The man under the mask is important yeah, but not more important than "Captain America". He can be replaced if the new Cap still defends (maybe in a different way like Luke Cage might) the "spirit of America". He stands for something. Wolverine and Thor don't. Wolverine is Wolverine and Thor is Thor, simple as that. I'm not saying Cap is better or worse because of that, just that he's different in that respect. Of course it wouldn't be quite the same if he were replaced, Steve Rogers is Captain America, but Captain America is not Steve Rogers. If you don't get what I'm saying, don't worry about it.

#25 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Cap stands for an ideal. The man under the mask is important yeah, but not more important than "Captain America". He can be replaced if the new Cap still defends (maybe in a different way like Luke Cage might) the "spirit of America". He stands for something. Wolverine and Thor don't. Wolverine is Wolverine and Thor is Thor, simple as that. I'm not saying Cap is better or worse because of that, just that he's different in that respect. Of course it wouldn't be quite the same if he were replaced, Steve Rogers *is* Captain America, but Captain America is not Steve Rogers. If you don't get what I'm saying, don't worry about it."

i understand what your saying, i just see steve rodgers as cap, no one else. it wasn't the suit or the title that made cap america it was steve and his ideals... they could of kept the look and made a completely different personality. i have no problem with other characters being given a title that sees them in a position like caps but not the cap america title. you can have a different leader of sheild but you can only have 1 colonel fury, i think cap america should be the same way.

#26 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

caps title should be rested like jordans #23

#27 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive heard some stuff about a colonel america series on the comic con can anybody tell me more?

#28 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogers has been replaced before. I would rather he came back at some point, but I wouldn't mind a temporary replacement. I wouldn't choose Cage as the replacement though. I would probably pick Winter Soldier, Falcon, whatever Nomad calls himself these days... someone who has closer ties to the character then Cage does.

#29 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Warlock360 says:

"Ive heard some stuff about a colonel america series on the comic con can anybody tell me more?"

colonel america is the marvel zombies version of cap

#30 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

I Agree! Unless Steve comes back there should be no Captain America. The sad thing is that they have had what, a dozen Thor's

#31 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Cap stands for an ideal. The man under the mask is important yeah, but not more important than "Captain America". He can be replaced if the new Cap still defends (maybe in a different way like Luke Cage might) the "spirit of America". He stands for something. Wolverine and Thor don't. Wolverine is Wolverine and Thor is Thor, simple as that. I'm not saying Cap is better or worse because of that, just that he's different in that respect. Of course it wouldn't be quite the same if he were replaced, Steve Rogers *is* Captain America, but Captain America is not Steve Rogers. If you don't get what I'm saying, don't worry about it."

I know what your saying, and I agree that Captain America is a symbol. I just think that it would be very hard to replace Rogers just because he was SUCH a boyscout. I don't know of anyone who would would toe the line the way he did or be as blindly patriotic.

#32 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Rotten gun says:
I Agree! Unless Steve comes back there should be no Captain America. The sad thing is that they have had what, a dozen Thor's"

yeah exactly... when they replace characters like thor it ruins them

#33 Posted by Sling Shot (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

My idea to have Cage as Cap was more for the Cage character than for the Cap character. Meaning Cage being Cap would refresh him and shake up the Cap status. Kinda like a post-civil war statemnt. But the other more conventional choices of Hawkeye falcon and so on are good picks as well they just aren't really making that whole other statemnt I think Cage would have. They would be done in a way where they aren't quite Cap where I think Cage would take it down a whole other avenue, actuall I think Falcon might take it down a whole other avenue as well.

Shang Chi as Cap!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.