Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America's role in the Avengers movie

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By tg1982

I intend for this to have heavy spoilers so be forewarned.

What do you guys thing of Cap's role in the movie? Was he overshadowed? Was he portrayed just right? What were your favorite parts of the movie? Let us know.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tg1982

I'll go first. I thought Cap was portrayed excellently in the movie, indeed, the whole cast I feel had an equal share of the "limelight", I likehow through the movie Cap didn't back down from anyone, Loki, Thor, and Iron Man. Even telling Iron Man to "get the suit". They portrayed him as a man out of place , the scene where he get excited because someone uses a saying he knows and then gets a little embarassed by it was really funny an then showing him as a very capable leader during the invasion, and him saying "Hulk....smash." and Hulk smileing was pretty awesome too.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By _Zombie_

@tg1982 said:

I'll go first. I thought Cap was portrayed excellently in the movie, indeed, the whole cast I feel had an equal share of the "limelight", I likehow through the movie Cap didn't back down from anyone, Loki, Thor, and Iron Man. Even telling Iron Man to "get the suit". They portrayed him as a man out of place , the scene where he get excited because someone uses a saying he knows and then gets a little embarassed by it was really funny an then showing him as a very capable leader during the invasion, and him saying "Hulk....smash." and Hulk smileing was pretty awesome too.

I agree. He was done just right. Not too much, and not too little. I felt that they chose the right point in the movie for him to take charge, even if it was near the end.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Blood1991

I still don't love Evans as Cap, but he did a good job though the gun fire scene was a little disappointing. I mean compared to what the other characters were doing it was kinda lame, but he more than made up for it during the invasion. Overall he wasn't my fav in the movie, but did an excellent job as did every other hero.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By RogueOracle

He was portrayed really well, and his presence of a time-displaced man was seen in some of his words and mannerisms. I loved how he dressed like a "grandpa". The quirks worked for him.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

Couldn't've been better. One of the best scenes was when Cap was telling the cop what to do, lol. And how he barked orders at the rest of the team during the invasion? Classic. The fact that he doesn't get along with Stark is fantastic and the stuff he said to Loki on their first meeting was priceless and so Captain America.

The good news for Cap fans is that the majority of extended cut dives in deeper on his character. Stuff like being the man out of time and even a scene with the old lady Carter are in it, so I've read. Can't wait to get my hands on this blu-ray :)

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

He was perfect. I loved him giving orders in the invasion, his action scenes were great, and I thought it was badass when he stood up to Loki in Germany. And I thought it was hilarious when he gave Fury $10.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambit1024 said:

Couldn't've been better. One of the best scenes was when Cap was telling the cop what to do, lol. And how he barked orders at the rest of the team during the invasion? Classic. The fact that he doesn't get along with Stark is fantastic and the stuff he said to Loki on their first meeting was priceless and so Captain America.

The good news for Cap fans is that the majority of extended cut dives in deeper on his character. Stuff like being the man out of time and even a scene with the old lady Carter are in it, so I've read. Can't wait to get my hands on this blu-ray :)

Yeah, I heard the same thing too. Whedon said the majority of the deleted scenes (about 30 minutes), is mostly focused on Cap, so I'm extremely excited. I found Cap to be brilliantly played by Evans, but he was mostly overshadowed until the ending of the film when he truly played the team leader.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

Perfect

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By jinxuandi

I thought Evans did a better job in Avengers than he did in the Cap movie. I did wish Cap could've been portrayed as more of the leader of the team though. Until final scene, he is usually in Stark's shadow.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By _Zombie_

@jinxuandi said:

I thought Evans did a better job in Avengers than he did in the Cap movie. I did wish Cap could've been portrayed as more of the leader of the team though. Until final scene, he is usually in Stark's shadow.

I actually liked that they took their time with it. Stark's ego was dominating, and Cap was trying to fight back against that. It took time, but he eventually wins out. It's his first time leading a team, and up until the point where he takes charge, they hadn't been under enough pressure to really be forced to cooperate. When they were, Cap took the reins and lead the team. I thought it was well played-out.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By jinxuandi

@ZombieBigfoot: Good point, and hopefully in the next movie(s) Cap's leadership role will be placed a little further to the front.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Zombie_

@jinxuandi: I doubt that he won't. He's taken charge once and proven that he's capable of leading them under extreme pressure, it's safe to say that the team would trust him to do it again.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By PowerHerc

I think Cap was properly characterized in the movie but should have been more involved/showcased in the actual physical action/fighting of the final battle.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

I think he got the perfect amount of screen time &i also think him being (initially) overshadowed by Stark is natural due to his personality as a straight forward no frills guy.. thats what makes his story/character arc so realistic.. he starts off unsure of his place in a world so far gone from wha he knows.. but eventually comes to realise hes a leader (real leaders dont even realise, they just deliver when its crunch time) &anyway in the comics he shares the leadership role with Stark.. but is the undisputed de facto field leader esp in comba situations

my only nitpick &this doesnt take away from the film in any way, is his depiction didnt fully match what i though it could for Cap.. his clash with Loki &the Chitauri for instance.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Mega_spidey01

he was good as a leader out of time and knows what it takes to do the right thing when necessary. chris evans did a great job in the role made. also i like the arguing between cap and stark and the others.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By thatlad

I just read a good piece that pointed out that while the avengers are running round avenging, cap was the only one protecting the civilians. The piece pointed out the soldier was the empathetic one more concerned with citizens as a priority. So yes I think cap was done very well here...one scene/line I particularly liked was when he first meets Banner and totally sets him at ease treating him with respect. So very cap

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tg1982

@thatlad: @ZombieBigfoot: I also like how Agent Coulson was geeking out on Cap! I was thinking "THAT'S SO ME!!!!!!" When he said "I'm a huge fan, I watched you while you were sleeping." freaking funny. Kinda sad about Coulson though, but very well done. He blasts Loki and says "Oh, that's what it does." And in a way he truly brings the Avengers together.

@thatlad said:

I just read a good piece that pointed out that while the avengers are running round avenging, cap was the only one protecting the civilians. The piece pointed out the soldier was the empathetic one more concerned with citizens as a priority. So yes I think cap was done very well here...one scene/line I particularly liked was when he first meets Banner and totally sets him at ease treating him with respect. So very cap

How about when towards the end Cap single handedly saves an entire building of people, then at the end when they show the city's somewhat mixed reactions the lady says "All I know is Captain America saved my life, to him and the others, I just wanna say thank you."

d99026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By d99026

He didn't say "Avengers Assemble!!!"

I'm sad now . . . :(

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tg1982

@d99026: Next time!!!

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By desmond006

I realy liked Captain America. Im another one of those people who didnt like Chris Evans as Cap but he did well i this movie.

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fullmetalquach

i think he was portrayed very well, showing stark trying to be the leader or at least thinking he was with his ego and then showing cap later on taking the role helps show that you have two alpha males in the group and itll make the civil war, which hey are talking about doing Avengers 3 based on the the civil war, more believable to the audience that arent familiar with the comics

i read an interview where evans described cap as being lonely and they def showed that with him in the movie, before he fully takes on the role as leader you can see him trying to tame everybody but he isnt successful and kinda gives up, id say its probably cuz how down he was feeling about losing everything and everyone he ever knew and being so lonely, but when coulson died he got his fire lit again, i thought that was well down and helped show his own emotional struggle

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fullmetalquach

@thatlad: think i can get a link to the article please? itd be cool to read it

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By htb106

I think his role in the film was just right.

My favourite scene was when cap and agent coulson were having that awkward conversation on the jet.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By thatlad

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/the-avengers-good-evil-and-politics/2012/05/06/gIQAfzlk6T_blog.html

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I felt he was portrayed perfectly as a hero, soldier, and leader.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.