Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America's Girlfriend Has Been Cast

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

Emily Blunt, Keira Knightly and Alice Eve were all in the running for a while… and the dark horse who entered at the very end won the role. By the Hollywood Reporter's reckoning, Hayley Atwell is playing Captain America’s war time girlfriend, and British intelligence agent, Peggy Carter. The projects she’s been that are probably most relevant to genre fans are a stint on DOCTOR WHO and her role as “415” in THE PRISONER re-make mini-series from last year that also starred Ian “ Magneto” McKellan.

What do I think of this casting? I honestly don’t know.  Seeing as how she’s an “unknown”, I haven’t actually seen anything she’s been in, so I can’t vouch for her acting abilities, at all. She certainly looks pretty.  It’s kind of amusing to see that there’s been this much hullaballoo about a character most fans haven’t even heard of. Steve Rogers hasn’t exactly had a steady girl over the years like Spidey and Supes have. Although, again… I’ll reiterate my agreement with the theory put forth from this very community that Ms. Atwell has probably signed on to play Sharon Carter in any of the follow-ups to THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA. Originally, Sharon was supposed to be the (much) younger sister, and spitting image, of Peggy in the comics.  So, Steve’s relationship with her was something of a metaphoric continuation of his relationship with Peggy.  Subsequent retcons have turned Sharon into Peggy’s niece or grand-niece, or something.  I wouldn’t be too surprised to see her popping up in the comics, now, with somebody finally coming along and sorting out a new, official retcon.

I suppose I’d ask what you, the identically-featured Comic Vine community think of Atwell’s casting. However, I’m more interested in your opinions on whether it’s “weird” or “creepy” for a man to date his old girlfriend’s younger sister/niece/granddaughter, even if being frozen in ice factors into the equation.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

To be honest... if Marvel Studios does the chemistry right, I think Cap's female relationsh can be a lot more insterestingly entertaining (due to the complications) than Superman's and maybe even rival MJ and Spider-man

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By leokearon

I wonder if she will also play Sharon, since they are supposed to look very similar?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I hope this is supposed to be Sharon Carter and not someone they just made up....

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Captain13

Didn't Steve date Gail Richards during WWII?

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5  Edited By Green ankh

AWSOME !!
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Moomin123

She'll do.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NightFang3
    @Moomin123 said:
    " She'll do. "
                 It's because she British isn't it!?
    Bleeding Gums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bleeding Gums

This is great news!! They are doing a bang up job casting this movie!! Can't wait till this flick drops!
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Vance Astro: 

Think she's supposed to be a Sharons mum or grandma maybe.
    darkgundamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By darkgundamz
    @Gylan Thomas & Vance Astro:      

In original 616 continuity, Margaret "Peggy" Carter was Sharon Carter's older sister, who as a teenager joined the French Resistence during WWII to fight the Nazis.  That's how she met Captain America and they had a brief romance, which ended due to Cap always being on the go on various missions.  Moviewise they probably will have her turn out to be Sharon Carter's grandmother when Steve Roger re-appears in the present.
    Silverwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Silverwolf

Seen her a few times in some films and on stage in London. She's quite good and will do an excellent job, I'm sure, with this character I've never heard of.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @StrangerXL said:
    " @Gylan Thomas & Vance Astro:      In original 616 continuity, Margaret "Peggy" Carter was Sharon Carter's older sister, who as a teenager joined the French Resistence during WWII to fight the Nazis.  That's how she met Captain America and they had a brief romance, which ended due to Cap always being on the go on various missions.  Moviewise they probably will have her turn out to be Sharon Carter's grandmother when Steve Roger re-appears in the present. "
    i'm aware of this but they should skip Peggy and go straight to Sharon.They seem to try to modernize all of the other characters.They can do the same for Cap.Sharon is important to his storyline.More so than Peggy.
    darkgundamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darkgundamz
    @Vance Astro said:
    i'm aware of this but they should skip Peggy and go straight to Sharon.They seem to try to modernize all of the other characters.They can do the same for Cap.Sharon is important to his storyline.More so than Peggy. "
    Hold on a minute!!  What???  Huh???   Never mind.  I get it now.   Looking at your current avatar , I'm guesing you must be one of the "Everything Now" Club.  Taking a shot in the dark here but, you are someone who got into reading comics about five to ten years ago, became very knowledgeable in terms of everything going on comicwise within that specific time frame, so from your viewpoint that's all relevant, but everything that happened outside of the time that you personally got into comics is irrelevant?   So you if had your way it would be what precisely?  Bucky Barnes as Captain America not Steve Rogers?   Steve Rogers in his newly unvealed maskless costume?   What should be "modernized" in your opinion for a Captain America movie that takes place during World War II?    I'm honestly curious as to what ideas you have in mind that you think would benefit a Captain America movie set in that time period. Seriously.  I would like to hear your ideas please.  Unless of course you think it should be set in the present day.  And if so, I still would like to hear your ideas for that circumstance as well.  Go!!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @StrangerXL said:

Hold on a minute!!  What???  Huh???   Never mind.  I get it now.   Looking at your current avatar , I'm guesing you must be one of the "Everything Now" Club.  Taking a shot in the dark here but, you are someone who got into reading comics about five to ten years ago, became very knowledgeable in terms of everything going on comicwise within that specific time frame, so from your viewpoint that's all relevant, but everything that happened outside of the time that you personally got into comics is irrelevant?   So you if had your way it would be what precisely?  Bucky Barnes as Captain America not Steve Rogers?   Steve Rogers in his newly unvealed maskless costume?   What should be "modernized" in your opinion for a Captain America movie that takes place during World War II?    I'm honestly curious as to what ideas you have in mind that you think would benefit a Captain America movie set in that time period. Seriously.  I would like to hear your ideas please.  Unless of course you think it should be set in the present day.  And if so, I still would like to hear your ideas for that circumstance as well.  Go!! "

I'm someone who has read the majority of Cap's titles and i'm not an everything right now kind of guy.Actually when I saw X-men I was wondering why they didn't start with the original X-men..Cyclops,Beast,Marvel Girl,Angel,and Iceman.However I don't know how many Cap movies there are going to be so I would say..skip to all of the important stuff.I don't want Bucky as Cap in the movie.I'm expecting them to spend an extended period of time on his past.I had no idea when I made my last post that the movie itself is set in WWII.It is a big part of Cap's life and story but if you're calling it the first Avenger and this is supposed to be leading INTO the year 2000 beyond Avengers.Why would the ENTIRE movie be set in the late 30's\Mid-40's. What is also a big part of Steve's story is the whole "coping with his past life being over" thing. Realizing the girl he loved had grown old, taking in the fact that Bucky didn't make it etc. IMO it would be better to have him meet Sharon and flashback to Peggy if the movie were set in present day when he's already Cap.I obviously haven't been paying attention to what direction they were going with the story but I thought it was going to be kind of like Wolverine.How like most of his past was a montage but he relived it by flashbacks.
    darkgundamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkgundamz
    @Vance Astro Said: 

Why would the ENTIRE movie be set in the  late 30's\Mid-40's.  What is also a big part of Steve's story is the whole "coping with his past life being over" thing.

That's exactly the reason why they are setting the majority of the film in the late 30's thru the mid 40's. The same reason they are setting a good portion of the Thor film in Asgard.  It establishes exactly who the character is and why they do what they do.  You have to remember, although the movie audience will largely be comic fans who more are less know what the deal is with Captain America, you also will have an equally large portion of  non comic readers in the audience that do not know a thing about the character other than he's a patriotic themed super hero.  By not setting up the proper background with Steve Rogers before he became Cap, what he went through to become Cap, how he embodied/inspired  what "ideally" makes America great when he's in costume and the battles/threats he fought during WWII, it would lessen the effect of establishing why he would be revered by the majority of people he would encounter present day. The audience should see and "live through" what he went through back at that point in his life to identify with him.  In that way when he is in the present and going through his whole "man out of his time" issues, the audience understands better what he has lost and how he would feel rather that saying "Dude, you can't rewind time, just get over it. Move on!!"  I don't think  having him at the onset in the present and showing all of his past experience through flashbacks would have the same effect.
    pimpdenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pimpdenz

Hmmmm? Me fighting a war while my future girlfriend is still wearing a diapers? Eeew! 

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Yung ANcient One

NOOOOO it should have been JESSICA 

ALBA
    ALBA
    jimmyziogas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jimmyziogas

I was hoping Chris Evans was the girlfriend.  He is no Captain America.  They need someone else.  Anyone else.  Jokester dork does not cut it in my book.  Any by the way, Alba was terrible as the invisible woman, she is a terrible actress.  Sue storm was a natural blonde too.  F chris evans

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

She looks like a good choice.  Guess we'll find out.
    Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

if only they did Natalie Portman then Cap and Thor could fight over her

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.