'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Casting Update

• 52 results
Posted by G-Man (37021 posts) - - Show Bio

In the office yesterday I overheard part of a conversation about The Avengers being such a big cast and then Iron Man 3 appearing to focus on just one guy. This was coming from a non-comic book reader but the thought was it was going to be a little weird to go from such a big movie to one with a more narrow focus. Now we could make the argument that having a smaller focus means a bigger story for those involved.

Either way, for Captain America's next solo movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it's almost as if the Hollywood execs overheard the conversation. The cast for the movie is growing more than we realized.

It was confirmed yesterday that that Frank Grillo had been cast as Crossbones in the movie. Grillo has previously appeared in End of Watch and The Grey among other films. Of course we know that Sebastian Stan is returning as Bucky Barnes and the story is set to take on the Winter Soldier arc.

== TEASER ==

Aside from these two, Variety also reported on other casting additions. Samuel L. Jackson returns as Nick Fury, Cobie Smulders will reprise her Maria Hill role and Scarlett Johansson will appear as Black Widow once again. All of this is making the story fall closer to what we had in the comics. Will we find out that Black Widow and Bucky had a relationship in the past before Captain America was revived?

Another casting addition is Anthony Mackie as Falcon. Mackie was in Reel Steel and The Hurt Locker.

I was excited for this movie before but this is definitely amping up my expectations. We'll have to wait until April 4, 2014 to see the movie.

#1 Posted by Owie (3814 posts) - - Show Bio

Crossbones? Sweet.

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Soooo pumped.

#3 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno who Crossbones is (I don't follow Captain America comic), however I cannot wait to see the movie! :)

#4 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man this sounds brilliant!

#5 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh interesting this is where there introducing the Falcon, he's going to be in the new Avengers cartoon because of this. Still don't get why there not going with Black Panther instead.

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (7347 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Crossbones in both Cap and Thunderbolts. Here's hoping this guy delivers.

#7 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not thrilled about Hollywood using the Winter Soldier arc, I never wanted Bucky to come back among other reasons, but I'll see what happens when it happens. Maybe the script will fix some of the problems I have.

Falcon will be in it? YAHOO!

#8 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2284 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a major spy type thriller. Glad Scarlett Johansson, Sam Jackson, and Aunt Robin signed back on to play their characters in the movie.

#9 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel rocks the movie department. I'm a huge DC fan but they just can't compete. Marvel brings out, at most, three films every year, DC brings out one. And it's not even that, it's always Batman or Superman. They have some really amazing characters and do they ever get the spotlight? Sadly no. Only in the cartoons.

Although, they did have Green Lantern and Jonah Hex recently. But lets be honest, they could have been way better. They had the potential.

#10 Posted by BushidoBlack (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Crossbones is awesome in the comics. I'm glad he's going to be in the film.

I pray to god Marvel uses Falcon's look from the Ultimate universe. I've always found his regular costume to be super corny.

#11 Posted by Blizaga101 (942 posts) - - Show Bio

lovin this update, its such a tease to how amazing this films gonna be, surprised about the falcon being in it, wasn't expecting him :D

#12 Posted by Crackdown (605 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smurfboy said:

Dunno who Crossbones is (I don't follow Captain America comic), however I cannot wait to see the movie! :)

You're on Comicvine, there's a search bar

#13 Posted by Crackdown (605 posts) - - Show Bio

@BushidoBlack said:

Crossbones is awesome in the comics. I'm glad he's going to be in the film.

I pray Marvel uses Falcon's look from the Ultimate universe. I've always found his regular costume to be super corny.

Agreed!

#14 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

This sounds awesome, especially since I didn't really find the first Captain America very impressive at all.

#15 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crackdown said:

@Smurfboy said:

You're on Comicvine, there's a search bar

I know. :)

#16 Edited by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe bucky will replace rodgers as cap for captain america 3. maybe cap dies in avengers 2. it doesnt seem like chris evans likes the character

#17 Posted by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not a reader of Captain America but i have loved his character in the movies so far, i know about Winter Solider/Bucky but have no idea beyond Red Skull who any of Cap's enemies are. Can anyone recommend a few trades i can use to catch up a bit? I really dont want to be sitting on Wiki, id rather experiance the events as intended.

#18 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@MisterKetch said:

Oh interesting this is where there introducing the Falcon, he's going to be in the new Avengers cartoon because of this. Still don't get why there not going with Black Panther instead.

Black Panther has NONE business being in this movie.. its the same as putting Daredevil instead of Falcon as Captain America's sidekick just for the sake of introducing him in the movie universe

#19 Posted by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

@kagato: captain america civil war tie in, the death of captain america vol 1 2 and 3, catain america the man with no face, the trial of captain america. most of them are with bucky as cap but it helps show how important cap is in the marvel universe.

#20 Posted by wmwadeii (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many characters. I mean they are almost turning this into a Team movie, Bucky, Cap, Window, Fury & Falcon Vs. Crossbones. Hopefully the others are only in cameo roles and you dont' see them throughout the movie.

#21 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm supahdupah excited! :D

#22 Posted by kid Apollo (716 posts) - - Show Bio

thats pretty cool that Crossbones is in it, he's one of my fave Cap villains. and im totally down for the falcon, hoping they go the Ultimates route, because i really dont want to see a grown man in red and white spandex talking to birds

#23 Edited by fullmetaladam (53 posts) - - Show Bio

OK. Who has had the same idea as me that they are going to have Crossbones "kill" Captain America and Bucky becomes

A tribute to him in the 3RD film? Like the comics.

#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92922 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

#25 Edited by Night Thrasher (3700 posts) - - Show Bio

Anthony Mackie as Falcon!!!!!!!

#26 Posted by Night Thrasher (3700 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: During Brubaker's run it was almost a team book. Sharon Hill, Bucky, Falcon, Black Widow, Nick Fury all made almost continuous appearances. Cap wasn't even in the book for the better part of two years!

#27 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America 3:

Crossbones returns.

First appearance of Diamondback.

The Earth and Heavens tremble beneath a million fanboys saying NO!

#28 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Can't wait until we get the Bucky/Widow/Hawkeye love triangle and the slashers all pair up Bucky/Hawkeye.

#29 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

Crossbones is going to be great!!! Maybe they can lead up to a Thunderbolts movie too!!! I mean... they are doing Galactic Guardians after all... Why not T-Bolts?!?

#30 Posted by Mercy_ (92922 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Can't wait until we get the Bucky/Widow/Hawkeye love triangle and the slashers all pair up Bucky/Hawkeye.

Nooooooo
#31 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

damn ! 45 years old and 30 years of dreaming for superhero movies... it is a great life ..lol..now if Marvel could only fix the economy

#32 Edited by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant wait. They are really building up an entire movie universe the likes of which I never imagined. Even if some of the actors from phase one start to leave, it wont matter. They have started something bigger, so when new actors take up the part of say Iron Man, Cap or Thor it will just be like when a new artist or writer takes over a character in the comics. Marvel thought big with the whole Avengers thing, and it worked big.

#33 Posted by ThomasElliot (364 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't it be nice if you had pictures of the actors you named?

Just saying.

#34 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Why Must I wait another year and a half for this? WHY!? ;_;

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34018 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: Bucky is a bad guy

#36 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

Crossbones? Sweet.

#37 Posted by kagato (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kriminal - Thanks for the heads up, i think i actually have the cival war one through a marvel sub, ill dig it out and pick up the trades from my local comic book store.

#38 Edited by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

(Waiting for Batman devotees to claim that Crossbones is a Bane knock-off, even though Crossbones came before Bane)

#39 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

i think most of yall are forgetting that Winter Soldier in the beggining was a brainwashed villain not hero

#40 Posted by Decept-O (7280 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang. Great characters slated for this, a total surprise. Actors and actresses, don't care too much but the characters...yes, I am impressed.

#41 Posted by Jason_X22 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@Green ankh: Here,Here...(raises glass)!

#42 Posted by Cap10nate (2481 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder who the main villain is going to be. Winter Soldier is brainwashed and controlled by Lukin/Red Skull in the book and Crossbones is one of tge Skulls henchmen. Hugo Weaving said that he would prefer to not reprise his role as the Red Skull. I'm hoping that they bring in Zemo to be the main bad guy. Have an awesome fight scene between Cap and Zemo as well as a great one between A freshly released from brainwashing Bucky versus Crossbones.

#43 Posted by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY! That's amazing!

#44 Posted by War Killer (20358 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!!! CAN'T WAIT!!! !! ^__^

#45 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti said:

This sounds awesome, especially since I didn't really find the first Captain America very impressive at all.

Yeah, I didn't care for the Captain America or Thor movies, but I'm very excited about the direction that both movie's sequels seem to be taking.

#46 Posted by wmwadeii (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous that makes sense I was having a moment. Forgot when he came back he was still Winter Soldier.

#47 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

@JMLG said:

@MisterKetch said:

Black Panther has NONE business being in this movie.. its the same as putting Daredevil instead of Falcon as Captain America's sidekick just for the sake of introducing him in the movie universe

I was referring to the overall avengers franchise. But Black Panther would make a lot more sense then Daredevil as a long time Avenger.

#48 Posted by monitor_earthprime (82 posts) - - Show Bio

Well this males since since in the first waves of Captain America figures they included both Winter Soldier and Crossbones.

#49 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle said:

(Waiting for Batman devotees to claim that Crossbones is a Bane knock-off, even though Crossbones came before Bane)

Yeah well those imaginary devotees never showed up,mostly cause a good deal of these guys here dont even know who he is.

I hope Red Skull shows up or maybe Zemo,Crossbones is cool for combat scenes but he has next to no personality or depth in him.

#50 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I'm DEFINITELY psyched for this now that we are going to see Crossbones! And soooo great we get to see Agent Robin Scherbatsky reprise her role as Hill once again!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.