Captain America shouldn't be Captain EEUU?

• 60 results
#1 Edited by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio

i mean, he represents united states, not whole america, cause united states isn't really america, it's not even north america, i mean, don't sound so nice like Captain America, but fair is fair don't you think?, i know his origins, but anyways, the name it's offensive for anyone of another american country. I mean: 

do you think in canada when you see this guy? or mexico, or nicaragua, or chile? i think that it's offensive and egocentric. EEUU ISN'T AMERICA

PD: SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH 

PD PD: EEUU IT'S AN ABRIDGMENT FOR UNITED STATES, SORRY FOR THAT
#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

EEUU?

#3 Edited by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

I find no offense on Captain America 

EEUU is united states in Spanish.

When people say America they mostly refer to the north when they refer to the other they refer to it as South America. 

Besides, a single star, blue background and red and white stripes?  he looks more like Captain Puerto Rico if you ask me.. 

Puerto Rican flag

But still is Captain America not Captain Boricua

Do I take offense in him wearing the PR flag and saying is the American one? No..
#4 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: 

yeah you know: united states, that is one of amny abridgments like usa eua, i'll edit it    
#5 Edited by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: 
Shouldn't Deadpool be dead in a pool? Like his name suggests?

Shouldn't Batman have Bat powers?

Ronin isn't actually a Samurai that lost its Shogun, he's white for crying out loud.

Wolverine isn't a short furry creature that likes rolling down snow covered hills.

Cyclops has two eyes! Talk about false advertising

Black Lightning shoots blueish lightning!

Captain Marvel isn't really a Captain!

Also it's been the common name of the USA to be America, that's why they call people from the USA Americans, this isn't new it wasn't until after the US Civil War that the term got popular, so blame the South if you really have an issue with it.
#6 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with TheCrowbar :)

#7 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar:
but any of that names offense anyone, you know what i mean
#8 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain USA doesn't sound as cool. And to be frank we're the only America that matters. ;D

#9 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Band Lone:
well maybe you feel like that but people like me find it offensive and egocentric
#10 Posted by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy:  agreed
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: I've never heard anyone aside from you call Cap's name offensive What about Captain Briton he's from England which is only one part of Briton and ask any Scottish person and I guarantee they'll tell you there's a difference.  
#12 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy:
OMG that was totally classist, you have a really wrong idea of what ''matter'' means, the people it's something that matters, not the power, and USA have so much power, cause they steal everything from south america.
#13 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:
" @Band Lone: well maybe you feel like that but people like me find it offensive and egocentric "
Get over it honestly, the term America referring to the United States has existed for centuries, it became the popular and common name for the US in the 1870's. Why is it all of a sudden offensive?
#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: He was clearly being sarcastic 
#15 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: 
  Maybe it offended you because you're south American

You maybe want a Captain Brazil, Venezuela, Chile or something like that :)

There's also a Captain Britain x)

Its a comic book character, fiction, why make it ruin your reality? Just avoid it if it bothers you 

Besides Captain America was made to bug the Nazis not South Americans 

Pick up your teeth Hitler XD
#16 Posted by Alurvelve (3634 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Don't find it offensive or egocentric.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92525 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
"  Wolverine isn't a short furry creature."
I beg to differ.
#18 Edited by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, I've always hated the term "american" when refering to the people of the united states. Although  I don't know what else to call them in English

In spanish I always call them "estadounidenses" instead of "americanos" but the again it sounds better in spanish than in english (estados unidos is the spanish for united states)

#19 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nighthunter:
United Statians? :P 
#20 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Band Lone:
@TheCrowbar:

maybe you don't know, but that has always been offensive for us (south america people), at least in my conutry, it's really offensive, you don't see that on TV cause you're in a bubble, just like everyone else. and times change you know?, my people think more in that sort of things, what i really wanted to do was to show my point, i wanted that at least some people could knew that there is people that found it offensive 

#21 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is so-called because of the country, not the continent... 

If people do not understand that, then that is their fault... there is no ego involved and there is no good reason for anyone to be offended...  

There is also the hypocrisy of saying that calling the USA "America" is offensive when the people who are apparently offended by this call the USA the "EEUU" - It's just childish semantics.

#22 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114: 

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estados_Unidos    

read this, you need to be better informed, maybe it's is in spanish, but i guess that you know how to use traductor google 

#23 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114:

and i know that you know that i mean that what offense people, it's not his popularity but the name, if you don't get that it's your fault
#24 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (589 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to remember that Captain America what created by English speaking people, and more specifically people from the United States. Therefore, his name is going to be based upon common usage of the English language in that area. In the United States, "America" is a commonly used name for the nation of the United States. When referring to the entire region of North and South America, the term is "the Americas." 

So, if he was called Captain Americas, there there could be an issue with his name. Since this is not the case, it is appropriate that his name is Captain America. It is certainly not meant to be offensive in any way, that is just how the words are used in the United States parlance of the English language.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the biggest problems in the world today is that people are far to easily offended Yes I know bigotry is a problem but sometimes people become so obsessed with it that they see it in everything. Captain America was given his name for no other reason than the fact it sounded better than Captain USA no offence was intended so this shouldn't be an issue  

#26 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mechanical_Ape:

the name could be made with the better intentions, but something that offense should be changed, if you know that something that has been done with good intentions offense, you should agree that should be changed 

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: I just don't see the point in being offended by it in the first place its not hurting your image its not degrading you in any way its just a name and whether or not the name changes people from the USA are going to keep calling themselves Americans so the change won't have any effect on the real world
#28 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:

read what i sayed to Mechanical_Ape, same goes for you, and maybe you think that the people it's is easily offended, but how would you feel when you know that in the country that steal your whole continent, the people win a minimal of at least 6,6 dollars per hour (the worst payed state in united states), and in your country the best minimal pay per hour it's 1,3 dollars per hour?, the minimal thing we can do it's get offended for things like this.
#29 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:
" @Band Lone: @TheCrowbar: maybe you don't know, but that has always been offensive for us (south america people), at least in my conutry, it's really offensive, you don't see that on TV cause you're in a bubble, just like everyone else. and times change you know?, my people think more in that sort of things, what i really wanted to do was to show my point, i wanted that at least some people could knew that there is people that found it offensive  PD: SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH "
When you Assume you make an Ass out of U and ME.

Sorry bro, I'm Iranian, with Canadian citizenships.  I'm as far out of the bubble as one can get.   And you've yet to explain why it's offensive to you, just that it is. I find the color green offensive.
#30 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:

"read this, you need to be better informed"

Better informed about what? - "America" is a common name for the United States of America... and of all the common vernaculars for the country, it is the only single-worded synonym. 

@d34dp00l said:
" @Hunter114: and i know that you know that i mean that what offense people, it's not his popularity but the name, if you don't get that it's your fault "

I wasn't talking about popularity... in fact, never once did I use the word "popularity" - and it was blatantly obvious that I was referring to the name and use of the word "America" and how the word name refers to the common vernacular applied to the country and not the continent after which it was named. 

What I am saying... to make it perfectly clear... is that if people are arguing over a name and saying that applying the name "America" is offensive, then there is an obvious hypocrisy when those people apply any other name than the United States of America. 

Arguing over semantics is childish and pointless.
#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: The US didn't steal any of south America European countries such as Spain, France and Portugal did but thats not the point My ancestors were robbed, raped and murdered by Romans, Vikings and then the English and We've yet to receive any apologies and They're still colonized by the last group of pricks I mentioned but I'm not offended that my ancestors are treated as if all the horrible things they did to us was our fault for not being grateful that they conquered us 
#32 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

They wont change a comic book Icon that's been around for so long just because some people find it offensive 

If they didn't cancel South Park, which is a show dedicated to insulting other people's religions, race and views, they wont change Captain America. 

#33 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Band Lone said:
"  They wont change a comic book Icon that's been around for so long just because some people find it offensive    If they didn't cancel South Park, which is a show dedicated to insulting other people's religions, race and views, they wont change Captain America.  "
Actually they tried to change Cap. That's why US Agent was created and then got trashed because people hated the change. How about a happy compromise, Captain America keeps his name and he works for the benefit off all mankind?(Pssst he already does)
#34 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:

dude search about el robo de la mina de pascualama in south america, and you'll see it, they ''buyed'' this site (bush), for a 5% of his real price, and my people hasn't seen a single cent of that money
#35 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:
" @joshmightbe: dude search about el robo de la mina de pascualama in south america, and you'll see it, they ''buyed'' this site (bush), for a 5% of his real price, and my people hasn't seen a single cent of that money "
Wouldn't that be an issue between the government that allowed the purchase and the people? The world is in a free market system now meaning all transactions are voluntary. Your people got screwed by your government, as for "they" who bought(buyed) it, they're not American, multinational corporations haven't been American( the USA) since the late 1970's.
#37 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio
Ha! Bush doesn't count as an American. Scientist can't explained what happened from 2001 to 2009 in the united states  xP 

The records show that there was a glitch in the Matrix and suddenly a circus clown was placed in office somehow xD 

The problem was corrected a few years with the help of voters and Spider-man 

#38 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: Thats the nature of capitalism, and besides we didn't make them take that deal take that up with the dudes who sold too low. 
#39 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:
" @Hunter114: 

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estados_Unidos     again, read this "
I am not going to read something without knowing the context of your argument... I don't even think that you have an argument, you are just saying that you (and others) find Captain America offensive because of his name. 

My counter argument (which I have stated twice already) is that the name has nothing to do with the continent of North or South America and refers to the country of the United States of *America* and that finding offense in the name is completely childish and baseless

What you are saying has very little merit to it... and giving me a Wikipedia page with no context or argument to focus on will not change my opinion on this... because there is nothing that support your claim or opinion.
#40 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114:

then you're not going to understand, and now i must leave, i hope you know that this wasn't nothign personal
#41 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (589 posts) - - Show Bio

If they felt that the name was truly offensive, I'm sure they would change it. After all, that's the reason Joto is now known as Hot Spot, and Yellow Claw is typically called the Claw or Golden Claw. Whether or not you have an issue with the United States, that doesn't make the name inherently offensive.

#42 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:

the same that y sayed to crowbar what i mean it's that all the money it's going for the usa pockets, and if oyu think that they don't manipulate the money, you're really wrong,the usa people believes what the TV shows them, it's true that there are corrupt politicians in my conutry (like everywhere), but usa keep doing deals like these, and you're being manipulated too, tell me something, who you think that was guilty about all the whole thing of the 911?   
#43 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: Wait so you're not willing to back up what you're saying with any real facts so you're just gonna leave it at accusing everyone of ignorance thats childish
#44 Posted by joshmightbe (24601 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l: I dont believe a damn thing unless I can back it up with actual facts and almost none of those 911 conspiracy theories have anything other than anecdotal (i.e. unreliable) evidence and theres that whole part about Al Queda taking credit for it. And yes I know the C.I.A. trained them how to do this kind of thing to the Russians 
#45 Posted by d34dp00l (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: 

if you want we can talk later, about other things, i hope we meet in another post soon bye    
#46 Edited by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
@d34dp00l said:

"then you're not going to understand"

Well of course I'm not going to understand... you haven't given any kind of argument, as to why you personally find it offensive... that means I want your opinion in your words... not a website that isn't has no passion or emotion to it and going to tell me anything that I want to know at all. 

If you have an opinion, but cannot express the reasonings behind that opinion, then you need to rethink whether that opinion is right or wrong... or you could have just copied and pasted from the site and at least pretended that it came from you... and sure that would have probably been ripped apart, but at least it would have been something. 

@joshmightbe said:
" @d34dp00l: Wait so you're not willing to back up what you're saying with any real facts so you're just gonna leave it at accusing everyone of ignorance thats childish "
 Quote For Truth!
#47 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

If Captain America wasn't totally awesome, I could see how you might be offended, but he's such a heroic champion of liberty that I really don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be associated with him, however tenuously.

#48 Edited by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

People from Canada are known as Canadians. 
People from Mexico are called Mexicans. 
People from Cuba are known as Cubans. 

People from the United States are known as Americans not United Statesmen/women. 

You say it's arrogant and/or egomaniacal, but It's what we've been called for out entire history.   
I'm quite certain we didn't choose the name; it was given to us by our former European masters.   

That said;  I like the name and am proud to call myself American.  I wouldn't choose to relinquish the name to assauge the feeling of modern-day anti-Americans or to placate those with feelings of inferiority or jealousy.   

If you want to be an American; apply for a visa, move to the United States and become one.   
Welcome, one and all, to the United States of America where our most nationally iconic and repesentative superhero is Captain America
#49 Posted by Manchine (3964 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alurvelve said:
"Nope. Don't find it offensive or egocentric. "
#50 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say he doesn't represent the USA but more of the idea of the USA  justice,fairness, liberty. so there is nothing offensive about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.