Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America Reborn, The Return Of Steve Rogers!

• 164 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

Is it possible?  Can it be?  Will we really see the return of Steve Rogers as Captain America?  How will he return from the dead?  On July 1, 2009, Captain America Reborn #1 comes out, a five issue mini-series that will feature his return.  Here is the official press release from Marvel.
    It was the shot heard ‘round the world. Following the most shocking and controversial event in comic book history – the assassination of Captain America in the pages of Captain America #25 – neither the heroes of the Marvel Universe nor the rest of the world have quite come to grips with this most traumatic of losses. From the moment he was taken from us until today, one fact has proven to be true: the world still needs Captain America. And now, the time has come! At long last, the legend, the hero, is back.  Steve Rogers makes his triumphant return from the grave in the publishing event of the year: Captain America Reborn, a five part series from Marvel Comics beginning this July.

Long seen as the world’s greatest hero, Captain America made his first appearance in March, 1941, boldly fighting the Nazis in World War II. As a symbol of true patriotism, his popularity soared during the war as he became a nationally revered icon of US efforts to spread freedom around the globe. Serving as the Sentinel of Liberty for nearly 70 years, Cap embodied the spirit of the American people and became one of the world’s most beloved and recognizable characters. His death rocked the entire world, real and fictional, and his return from the grave promises to be a landmark event as well.

The recipient of two Eisner Awards for his tale about the life and death of Captain America, Ed Brubaker joins forces with acclaimed Ultimates artist Bryan Hitch for the landmark Captain America Reborn series. This partnership promises to produce the visually arresting, action packed story that fans around the world have been eagerly anticipating.

A story that captured international attention, Captain America #25 polarized shocked audiences by starkly depicting the murder the cultural icon.  On that fateful day when shots rang out on the courthouse steps, Cap’s greatest enemy—the Red Skull-- achieved his greatest ambition—or so it seemed. Since that time, the Marvel Universe has been in chaos, as as the Red Skull has worked towards his true endgame.  But now there is a ray of hope in the form of Steve Rogers!

How can Steve Rogers return from the dead, and will his rebirth be enough to stop the global threat of his sworn enemy? Hitting shelves on July 1st, the special five part series Captain America Reborn finally reveals the true scope of the Red Skull’s nefarious plan, and begins Captain America’s triumphant return.

For fans of Captain America and those wanting to own a part of this historic moment in Marvel history, visit your local comic book retailer on July 1, 2009 to purchase Captain America Reborn #1.  To learn more about this landmark event, go to www.marvel.com/reborn! To find a comic book retailer near you, visit http://www.comicshoplocator.com/ or call 888-COMICBOOK.  And be sure to pick up Captain America #600, on sale this week, as the road to Reborn begins!

What do you think?  Is it time for his return?  Will it actually be him?  How do you think he'll return?  What will happen to Bucky?

No Caption Provided
    UPDATE:
    Marvel has unveiled Joe Quesada's variant cover to Captain America Reborn #1.  Reborn is a five issue mini-series by Ed Brubaker and Bryan Hitch.   There will be 50/50 covers by Hitch and Alex Ross along with a variant cover by John Cassaday.  Issue #1 is on sale July 1, 2009 with a $3.99 cover price.  On July 22, 2009, the Joe Quesada variant will be available.

No Caption Provided

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Scourge
    I'm just wondering how they're going to bring him back.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

The question is, will it be the 616 Steve or a Steve from another Universe.  Heroes Reborn?  Ultimate Steve?

Psychotime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Psychotime

Stuff like this is why I kept  away from Superhero comics for so long.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

1. retro tale; or,
    2. never realy died, just an easy way to finish Cival War; and finally,
    3. Bucky will go back to the grave where he belongs.
    4. it's all an imaginary tale ;)

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iLLituracy

Marvel needs to stop playing with my emotions. I do not appreciate it.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Media_Master

He should stay dead

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Has to have been a government cover up or something and they retool him like they did in Heroes Reborn

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#8  Edited By HaloKing343

According to Brubaker, he was never killed. His body died but his mind was trapped in a strange realm, just like how Faustus managed to put everyone else's minds in weird places. Steve's life force is trapped in some sort of domain and only Sharon knows how to get him out. She and Bucky go to this wierd ass mental realm and rescue him from phsycotic mental deamons. When Steve finally gets his mind back together and returns to the real world, he's all physco.

That's what the story is about. That's what Brubaker said on a press conference.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iLLituracy
    inferiorego said:
    DC's way worse.
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Calix

I can't even really say I am surprised This is Marvel superheroes die..... and then get better!

I'll give them their due thou in being able to keep him dead for as long as they have. Could he have stayed dead longer... yes!  Just slightly curious as to what will happen to Bucky-Cap....

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Joe Venom

Well it dose start around the same time that the Avengers/Invaders series ends, so maybe their interactions with that Cap will have something to do with it.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm thinking the Avengers/Invaders cap that came to the past is staying in the 616 universe.....

or Bucky is going to give up his youth to bring back Steve Rogers

Storm Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Storm Rider

Isn't this similar to what's going on with Batman? The above comments attributed to Brubaker make the story they're telling with Cap seem more than a little like what appears to be unfolding with Bruce Wayne over at DC. Did one company swipe this idea from the other, or is this just some huge coincidence? Obviously, Cap "died" before Bruce, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was Marvel's plan first, or that they intended the story to go down like this from the beginning.

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Son Of Storm
    Fresh Prince said:
    I'm just wondering how they're going to bring him back.
    Phoenix Force.........I'm joking!!! I realllly can't wait 4 him to come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The Hottness

OH man... I love Bucky -Cap, but if he goes back to Winter Soldier id be okay with that

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By speedlgt

ya know I was all about him coming back and IMO he couldnt come back soon enough! but now I have really grown to like Bucky as Captain America. I think its a little too soon I mean Bucky just joined New Avengers and as we have seen its cool to see how the other Top heroes accept him as the Captain. spidey and Barton the most wolverine the least as it seems he goes back with the guy. ALso i was really wanting to see bucky evolve into Marvels true Leader and Hero just like steve was. I really think he was on that path I dont think that bucky as of yet has truly repalced steve in the eyes of Marvel but to fans of his book and his story hes ALMOST there.

It s kinda a shame that his time as cap will be cut short  but I am glad to see steve return to KICK TONY IN THE SACK!!! its pay back time CHUMP!
    NEVER FORGET CIVIL WAR

ROGERS VS STARK FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this time STARK will be put in the ground! and no one will care!

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By castleking

WTF!! the whole point of thanos closing death revolving door was to keep ppl from being resurrected, besides thor talked to caps spirit it was obvious steve was dead you cant copy a soul and cap had resigned himself to death...........this is complete BS and would be horribly inconsistend.

Paragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Paragon

This had better be evil Cap (50's guy. Grand Dictator, or whatever). Last we saw him, he was calling himself Steve, and trying to learn all about being real Steve through Sharon's aunt.

If it is real Steve, I'm going to be pissed at Marvel.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    iLLituracy said:
    inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. [more]
    Disagree, at least Barry was dead for 20 years. Steve can't even stay dead for 5.
    Avatar image for morita_shunsuke
    Morita Shunsuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Morita Shunsuke

I want Winter soldier to be back with a cooler uniform :D

Is good that Steve is back, Bucky really didn't fit right with me as Cap. I'm not saying that he wasn't good, because he was..

Just didn't feel very... captainiish... yeah.. Is a word, look it up XD

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sora_thekey

When I saw "Reborn" and the whole big star with the black background promo I thought it was goignto be about Isaiah Bradley!!!

Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

COME ON! WHY CAN'T COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS STAY DEAD?

superboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By superboy12

you know when cap first died i wasnt to crazy for bucky cap as spidey calls him but latley its been good so i really dont know how i feel about this

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joe Venom
    @Morita Shunsuke: I feel the same way his Winter soldier identity is much better suited for him, but what if there is yin and yang thing going on what if when Steve comes back Bucky dies. Like they can never be Allies again for some reason, think about it even when they were both alive Winter Soldier didn't want to have anything to do with Cap.
    cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

I have a hard time believing it. We'll see.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck

I just updated the original post with the Joe Quesada variant cover that Marvel just unveiled.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By johnny_spam

I don't  read Marvel but this guy got screwed in the worst way. The government brings into custody a beloved superhero who is not very popular at the moment in public to trial and then the characters are all freaked out when something happens to the poor bastard?  I think it's sometimes necessary for a big superhero to go out but his death was dumb as hell.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By speedlgt
    inferiorego said:
    iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. [more] Disagree, at least ... [more]
    your right but in all fairness Barry doesnt mean the same thing to DC that Steve means to Marvel U
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King_Saturn
    Steve Rogers will be brought back through a Worm Hole within a Time Warp.... it will be Steve from another period of time that we will be seeing

lol
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Ghostshell

If it is Steve Rogers from the 616 Marvel U I personally feel like its to soon. And what ever happened to the, "Holy $#@!" moments? When and if Steve comes back I'd rather have no idea its coming. Just start reading a Captain America arc one day and half way through he comes back. No hype, no mega publicity before hand. Just totally catch the reader by surprise. But that's me.

Ms_Crimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ms_Crimson

"Long seen as the world’s greatest hero,"

Got hype?

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By speedlgt
    Ms_Crimson said:
    "Long seen as the world’s greatest hero,"Got hype?
    uh what?
    Cap is the worlds greatest hero for the Marvel U

hes got the rank of "SUPERMAN" in marvel.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    Ms_Crimson said:
    "Long seen as the world’s greatest hero,"Got hype?
    Hahaha
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LastSon1027

Well I really think this cements the fact that this whole story line was a gimmick from the beginning. Don't get me wrong I prefer Steve to Bucky but like inferiorego said They couldn't keep him dead for even 5 years.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    speedlgt said:
    inferiorego said: iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. [more] Disagree, ... [more]
    He did at one point, but that was 20 years ago.
    Reaper 13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Reaper 13

Now this should prove to be interesting at the very lest.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iLLituracy
    inferiorego said:
    iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. [more] Disagree, at least ... [more]
    Superboy, Spoiler, Batman's death was half-stepped, he's not even really dead, Barry Allen, Bart Allen, and Wally West to name a few that were revived. While Barry remained dead for however many years, his revival was one of many this year alone. Then they do things like mess with ghosts of Elongated Man and the like...not to mention the whole Blackest Night ordeal.

I mean, DC seems so indecisive when it comes to character deaths that it becomes unappealing altogether. I mean, in the past couple of years, all three Flases have been revived.
    camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By camodude

YAAYYYYY!

magicpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By magicpower

It seems to me that nobody can just die. In both Marvel and DC comics.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By The Devil Tiger

I don't know....
    This kind of BS make me want to quit comics, I'm just bored !

I konw I didn't liked the new captain to have a Gun, but I prefer a new with a gun than the old one dead then back for life for ever ! It's making me feel the reading of my old comics as a really pointless hobby. It's like if they did a new star wars trilogy with the return of Darth Vador ('Y'know, he wasn't really redeemed, he was joking in fact !")  

I'm just sick of it, and bored.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    iLLituracy said:
    inferiorego said: iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. [more] Disagree, ... [more]
    The Superboy thing I agree with, I was a little pissed when I saw him come back. I'm not going to go and look for the quote, but 6 months before FC, Morrison did say Bruce won't die. (Not in quotes because I'm too busy to search for it right now) Blackest Night I'm fine with because they're still dead, just coming back for a cameo, I hope.

All-in-all, the Marvel list is just as long as the DC list of indecisiveness. Both companies suck when it comes to death. Marvel just knows how to push my buttons a little more though.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I am not going to say I am looking forward to this, because Marvel has continually let me down lately. But man I sure am looking forward to this. You know as I was reading through all the posts and people giving their ideas, I came up with one. What if Steve is coming back just to set things right? What if after he helps oust Osborn and stop the Red Skull. What if he just steps down, perhaps gives his "blessing" for Bucky to remain as Captain America.

I just really hope the rebirth makes sense, nothing would be worse then to bring Steve back in a stupid way, much like how he was killed.

fan di fumetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fan di fumetti
    inferiorego said:

Gwen Stacy, Mar-Vell, Thunderbird (the original), Kraven the Hunter (Sergi) and Mysterio (Quentin Beck) are all still dead.
    I'm glad Steve's back why the **** did they kill him in the first place Bucky's is a tit as the Cap what a joke, bring the real Mar-Vell back next, that would really screw up Nor-Varr (than tit of a hero), aslo in the first pic Steve looks like Ultimate Cap. (hope its not)
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

O come on now , let the man rest in peace, I like Bucky as Cap

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    fan di fumetti said:
    inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. Gwen Stacy, Mar-Vell, Thunderbird (the original), Kraven the Hunter ... [more]
    I was waiting for someone to do this. The list is 10 times as long for people they brought back. Jean Grey alone has come back more times than the people you listed.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iLLituracy
    inferiorego said:
    iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's way worse. ... [more]
    I agree. But I'm kind of on the other side of the fence, I'm usually ticked with DC's handling of things moreso than the way Marvel conducts things. Then again, I was a Superboy fan...and a Kid Flash fan...and Spoiler seemed like a tasteless kill (another problem I have with DC).

I seriously could do without Steve coming back. Buck has been doing his thing as Cap, and people have come around to having him as Cap and having him be alive in general. Steve's death, however sudden, was well-executed, in my opinion, and when it comes down to it, having him come back from the dead only seems to cheapen it.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AtPhantom
    Seriously, his grave barely settled in the ground.

On a funny note, Methos yesterday made a post on how Geoff Johns would have handled Cap's rebirth. It'll be fun to compare what he wrote and what happens.

Also, I'm seriously considering the possibility that he's psychic.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    iLLituracy said:
    inferiorego said: iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: iLLituracy said: inferiorego said: Come on, really? Marvel fails at keeping characters dead. DC's ... [more]
    Steve coming back is almost the last straw for me as far as Marvel goes. I'm so sick of them playing it safe, they never take chances, and when they do, they still play it safe. This newest Cap thing proves it.
    toxin45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By toxin45

cool Steve is coming back  and he might use his body of Bucky-cap   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.