CAPTAIN AMERICA: Peak Human or Enhanced Human?

#1 Edited by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

Im pretty sure alotta people feel the same way. Captain America should be considered an enhanced human rather than peak human.

Cap has displayed countless enhanced / low-level superhuman feats over the years, so that should be a good enough logical reasoning why. What does everyone else think?

#2 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

enhanced....I don't care what anyone says....the stuff he does is stuff that no peak human could ever do

#3 Posted by .o0Johnny0o. (757 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

enhanced....I don't care what anyone says....the stuff he does is stuff that no peak human could ever do

I'd tend to agree. I've always thought that Cap was the absolute best a human could be physically ( so when you see those youtube clips of someone doing a one in a million feat, you have to assume 'Cap could do that') but that said, his premise was always 'The Peak' so purists could argue that.

Wouldn't have thought about this at all to be fair. He must have been slowly edging away rather than a sudden 'upgrade' that happens. Thanks MyronLee26!

Further question: Should heroes upgrade? One could argue that, yeah his abilities get boosted because everyone else's does. I'd say it'd be pretty awesome to see Cap (whom I have all the time of the day for) struggle to be both the symbol of freedom in a very modern time but at the same time be overpowered and struggle with that as well.

#4 Posted by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Exactly. Captain America is more on the lines of Deathstroke (listed as being enhanced human) as far as physical and mental attributes are concerned.

#5 Posted by VillainousV (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced..........a la Super Solider Serum............Batman's peak...........Cap's enhanced..........

#6 Posted by _Zombie_ (10225 posts) - - Show Bio

He's definitely enhanced. IIRC, his strength reaches into the ton range. I don't recall peak humans being able to lift upwards of anything more then a ton(if even that), even in a place like comics, where realism tends to take a holiday most of the time.

#7 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

He does things no normal human being can possibly do.

#8 Edited by .o0Johnny0o. (757 posts) - - Show Bio

I just came back to this thread after thinking about this and the biggest sticking point might actually come down to the shield.

Think about it, how does he know where exactly to throw his shield so it bounces once, twice, maybe three times to come back to him? You could argue the serum would boost his brain to peak but them he would Reed Richards smart. It's a paradox. I've settled with he's super due to the super soldier serum

edit: punctuation.

#9 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced for sure

#10 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Enhanced.
#11 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced. Batman is definitely the top of the peak list, hawkeye, green arrow, nightwing, are also ones that come into mind.

#12 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

Enhanced. But people seem to be confused. You can't compare Batman to Captain America when using this terminology.

Enhanced is basically the term that Brubaker started using when he started the last Captain America series, because he didn't feel Peak Human isn't accurate. However, Enhanced human means that he can do things that are within Human Potential, but however humans can't reach this level without the Supersoldier serum.

You can't however say that Cap > Batman just because Cap is defined at Enhanced and Batman isn't, because different terminologies are used within different universes.

#13 Posted by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@IncredibleSplosions said:

@MyronLee26: I used to think peak human but I've seen him do stuff that an even the strongest man on earth couldn't do...so I'm going to say enhanced.

Cool pic of Captain America!!!!

Enhanced he is. I just wish it would be more textually noticeable in the comics.

Yep, thats the one and only Gabrielle Dell'Otto

#14 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: It depends, are we talking Ultimate or 616 cap? 616 Cap is capable of bench pressing about 1,400lbs at max; however, I've heard Ultimate Cap is capable of lifting up to 4 tons. I wouldn't know, as I don't read much Ultimates and nothing's been said in the Ultimate section of his wiki with feats.

#15 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have to agree on enhanced as well.

#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (10225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:

@ZombieBigfoot: It depends, are we talking Ultimate or 616 cap? 616 Cap is capable of bench pressing about 1,400lbs at max; however, I've heard Ultimate Cap is capable of lifting up to 4 tons. I wouldn't know, as I don't read much Ultimates and nothing's been said in the Ultimate section of his wiki with feats.

I think the OP means 616 Cap. Still, 1,400 lbs still seems enhanced. I just remember Cap being described as able to lift at least 1-2 tons. Ultimate Cap is for-sure enhanced though.

#17 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: True, it is a lot; but I think the world record was something like 1,100lbs so it's still in the possible for humans range...

#18 Posted by RoyalDivinity (3161 posts) - - Show Bio

Peak human in comics is different than peak humans in real life but from feats shown, Cap exceeds all other "peak humans" in comics so enhanced.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.