Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America Movie Set To Begin Production In June

• 55 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    We're all getting excited over Iron Man 2 and Thor but let's not forget that a Captain America movie is going to be made as well.  While we haven't heard much at all about "The First Avenger: Captain America," word has gotten out as to when it will begin production.

Fangoria has spoken with director Joe Johnston about directing The Wolfman.  It seems that Johnston is currently in the art department of the movie and they are preparing to begin in June 2010.  It may not be the most exciting news but at least it means the movie is that much closer to becoming a reality.  

Now we have to sit and wait to find out who will be cast.  Personally, I'd lean towards an unknown character that will fit the role and be willing to reprise the role for several movies.  It's always a tough decision.  You want a big name actor but you also don't want it to be a distraction.  Who is worthy to play Cap?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

no wrestlers or any other athlete and please for the love of god no will smith

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

(Off-Topic) I always thought that the "A" on his forehead stood for Avengers.

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By drawme

I´d like to see Paul Walker.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By SevanGrim

there are some wrestlers who could pull it off with the right person behind the camera, but people do tend to look at wrestler movies as jokes.
     and i agree with the unknown actor idea. someone we can look at without thinking of other roles or anything. That was the one really fantastic idea employed by Superman Returns (well, that an Spacey).

it shouldn't be that hard though. Scower the High school/ College sports teams for square jawed blue eyes beefcakes and then see which of them can act.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AngelFrost

Hm ...
    Chad Michael Murray :D 

No Caption Provided
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Decept-O

I'm just glad to hear there's at least some news regarding the movie getting off the ground.  Heck 2 Da Yas.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce Vain

Yes I agree an unknown would be best for Cap. I believe Cap should be handled like the first Superman movie was, like how they cast Christopher Reeve.
    crowncoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crowncoke

Matthew McConahey?  I know that everyone wants an unknown for this role, but really think about it.  Those of that are married need something to bring our wives to see the movie.  And you have to admit the man does have the physical shape to pul off Steve Rogers and the presence to stand in a room with Downey and Jackson and not be overshadowed. (that is something often overlooked... this is not a single movie and the actor needs to be able to not only pull up Steve Rogers but has to have a personality / presence that would make it believable that actors/characters like Downey/Stark & SL Jackson / Fury would believe and follow this man.    
    Avatar image for weapon_x_badazz
    weapon x badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weapon x badazz

Aaron Eckhart i think wud av bin gud but hes harvey dent, nt sure bout matt mchonley, otha thn that, it shudnt be any1 bigger thn those 2. No wrestlers please either. It shud be an unknown who can act, willing to stay on for future movies and have the correct build and shape, no blond haired blue eyed nancy boy.

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Tainted-Cell
    @U R Sofa King We Todd Did: He had the "A" on his forehead before the Avengers were ever conceptualized. Well, we know it doesn't stand for France :P

@crowncoke said:

" And you have to admit the man does have the physical shape to pul off Steve Rogers and the presence to stand in a room with Downey and Jackson and not be overshadowed.     "

Excellent point.  I wouldn't go with McConaughey, however, since Steve is supposed to be in his early to mid 20s, if they decide to go that route. Therein lies the problem. Unfortunately, Cap isn't too popular among non-comic readers, and in the interest of drawing larger audiences, it may behoove them to cast someone with some following as Steve. Chris Helmsworth may not be too very popular, but Thor has a pretty solid supporting cast to compensate for it. Not saying that everything is a popularity contest, but let's face it, audiences flock to Will Smith.
    Thunder God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thunder God
    @weapon x badazz:
    You do relize that Cap is blonde and has blue eyes?
    weapon x badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weapon x badazz
    @Thunder God said:
    "@weapon x badazz: You do relize that Cap is blonde and has blue eyes? "

Yea i know tht i ment the blond haired blue eyed person  needs to be strong looking, no baby faced poofs like tha guy a few posts above lol, an yea am black b4 any1 has a go but PLEASE NO WILL SMITH that wud just not be right really
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Bruce Vain said:
    " Yes I agree an unknown would be best for Cap. I believe Cap should be handled like the first Superman movie was, like how they cast Christopher Reeve. "
    I think unknowns should be cast for comic movies.  People forget that Superman made Christopher Reeve, an that Hugh Jackman was relatively unheard of before X-Men.  
    weapon x badazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weapon x badazz
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @Bruce Vain said:
    " Yes I agree an unknown would be best for Cap. I believe Cap should be handled like the first Superman movie was, like how they cast Christopher Reeve. "
    I think unknowns should be cast for comic movies.  People forget that Superman made Christopher Reeve, an that Hugh Jackman was relatively unheard of before X-Men.   "

i agree
    ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArachKnight
    @drawme:
    I would like to see him play "Ares' if they ever do a live action Wonder Woman film.
    crowncoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crowncoke
    @weapon x badazz said:
    "@xerox-kitty said:
    " @Bruce Vain said:
    I think unknowns should be cast for comic movies.  People forget that Superman made Christopher Reeve, an that Hugh Jackman was relatively unheard of before X-Men.   "
    i agree "
    You do understand that this is not the 70's in longer.  Very seldom do you get someone from obscurity and give them 1 movie and have them able to not only take the lead but rise it to a blockbuster film.  As for Reeves, you do also have to add to the fact that he was accepted at Juliard and was known as a good stage actor.  And Mr Jackman was a well known name in his home country work his acting work.  Neither of your examples took the roles you listed as the first acting job and stepped out into the limelight and headlined. 

If you want an example of an unknown leading a Comic Movie... how about Mr Routh.  He showed that someone needs more than just looks to lead a movie (given that the movie script was weak, we cannot toatally blame him for Superman Returns). 

I just think that Marvel will look to Captain America just like they did with Iron Man.  They plan on this being THE Summer Blockbuster to set the bar the year it comes out and will need every ounce of power they can put into it to do so.  An unknown actor will not be able to do that.  An 'A' Lister actor can do that and will be what is called for.
    ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArachKnight

The guy who played the Cullen Dad In Twilight. 

BWA HA HA HA HA HA! Kidding! Only Kidding! Now Laugh with me.  

I did like him in "Can't Hardly Wait" though......... but seriously I am joking :)
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By goldenkey
    @Thunder God said:

and white skin
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By goldenkey
    @weapon x badazz said:
    "@Thunder God said:
    Yea i know tht i ment the blond haired blue eyed person  needs to be strong looking, no baby faced poofs like tha guy a few posts above lol, an yea am black b4 any1 has a go but PLEASE NO WILL SMITH that wud just not be right really "

to late, sorry,  I didn't read on and thought WTF
    Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rabbit Tots

Lets see how this goes...
    Niko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Niko

I once heard someone suggest  John Barrowman(Capt. Jack Harkness from Dr. Who/Torchwood), and aside from age and being Scottish, I couldn't think of a good reason to disagree. Especially with him having played a blond-haired, blue-eyed singing Nazi in the movie version of The Producers. That'd just be hilarious.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AngelFrost
     Alexander Skarsgard

No Caption Provided

Just look at him, He's gorgeous!
    and has an incredible body.  
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#23  Edited By The Lobster
    J.J.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By J.J.

John Barrowman
    [IMDB.com] from Doctor Who and Torchwood TV shows.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy
    @U R Sofa King We Todd Did said:
    " (Off-Topic) I always thought that the "A" on his forehead stood for Avengers. "

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " @U R Sofa King We Todd Did said:
    " (Off-Topic) I always thought that the "A" on his forehead stood for Avengers. "
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did    "
    not my fault. the first cap america i read was him in avengers. i was like 7 so it made sense to put the 2 together.
    The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27  Edited By The Lobster

No Caption Provided
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By waruikumo

NO BIG NAME ACTORS, PUHHHHHLEASE.   

big names work for stark, banner, i guess ill admit to spiderman to.  But Cap?  Essentially he's always represented more than the pretty anglo face underneath, therefore the weak sauce pretty big name actor shouldn't define the movie. 

That said it would be sick as typhoid to have a black captain america from harlem.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @Bruce Vain said:

That's exactly what I think too or at least actors that are known but aren't the BIG named actors. Though if Russell Crowe did take the role of Wolverine he would've done a great job. Just watch him as Bud White in L.A. Confidential. :-)
    Fuloqwam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fuloqwam

I don't care who they get, but I really hope we see a sleek, agile Cap versus a muscular powerhouse.  Really hope they adjust the costume accordingly, too.   

Did I miss an update, or wasn't this film scheduled for release in 2011?  Don't see how that's possible if they won't start shooting until summer.

Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gank

I think Worthington could pull it off. Saw Avatar yesterday, and he was pretty good in that, not to mention Terminator Salvation. Skarsgard and Paul Walker also seem like good choices. The actor they picked for Thor might have also made a good Cap, but we'll see how he does with the God of Thunder.

I agree that the actor playing cap doesn't necessarily have to be a complete unknown either. Then again, with the amount of money studios shell out for these flicks, they might be looking for a box office draw or something.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AngelFrost

I know people think casting 'unknowns' is going to be all good and stuff. And your using Hugh Jackman as an example ...

But part of the fame of the X-Men Movie was the casting of Halle Berry, Famke Yansen and Patrick Stewart. So I doubt they would risk casting a complete unknown for the sole-lead in Captain America.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crazed_h3ro

FINALLY!!
    mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrrpm01

If they start the movie off with a flashback...I CALL ISAIAH BRADLEY 

SDCC 2009
    SDCC 2009
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Sam Worthington

Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Justiciar

Oh....I believed that Big Ben Ryan was the choise... That guy is really Cap!

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Moomin123

I think the actor should be around the same age as Robert Downey Jr., since they are both good freinds in the comics. Brad Pitt would be good for Cap, but I know loads of guys think they'd rather shoot themselves than see him as Cap.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"(Off-Topic) I always thought that the "A" on his forehead stood for Avengers. "

Easy mistake to make, but it can't be because he had the A on his forehead before Avengers creator Stan Lee ever joined Marvel. 

I'd like to see Channing Tatum play the role.  He was the star of G.I. Joe and Fighting and he is great at the action scenes, is really buff and fit to play the role, and can play a soldier with Cap's personality well (especially Ultimate Cap, which appears to be who the movie is portraying).  But he could portray regular Cap too.   

Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Lobster said:
    "Sam Worthington wants the role apparently....I say "give it to him" 

"

HE WOULD BE GREAT TOO!!  It should go to either him or Tatum. 
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Justiciar said:
    "Oh....I believed that Big Ben Ryan was the choise... That guy is really Cap! "

Yea I posted a video of him a while back. But he needs to work on his acting though. He has another video where he's trying to do a scene where he's talking to the soldiers.  If he works on his accent and his acting yeah he would be perfect. 

I always thought Howie Long would be a perfect choice for Cap . Hell even Alex Ross uses him as a base for his Cap artwork. Looking at my lifesize A.Ross Cap bust I do see it.

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Illuminarch

This is good news. I was beginning to think this movie was not going to be made.

mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrrpm01
    @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:

"(Off-Topic) I always thought that the "A" on his forehead stood for Avengers. "

Easy mistake to make, but it can't be because he had the A on his forehead before Avengers creator Stan Lee ever joined Marvel. 

I'd like to see Channing Tatum play the role.  He was the star of G.I. Joe and Fighting and he is great at the action scenes, is really buff and fit to play the role, and can play a soldier with Cap's personality well (especially Ultimate Cap, which appears to be who the movie is portraying).  But he could portray regular Cap too.   

No Caption Provided
    "
    HERE HERE I AGREE, and I like his style not to old and not to young.  Most importantly I think he would be able to pull off a believable Steve Rogers as well as the American Hero Cap
    aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By aouric

Could Mark Valley get the vote? 

Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrrpm01 said:
    " @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:

"
    HERE HERE I AGREE, and I like his style not to old and not to young.  Most importantly I think he would be able to pull off a believable Steve Rogers as well as the American Hero Cap "

exactly.
    cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By cascadeking09
    @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:

No Caption Provided
    "
    that would be great if channing tatum could act.
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cascadeking09 said:
    " @Violet-Eyed Dragon said:

"
    that would be great if channing tatum could act. "

he can act--very well actually.  He did fine in G.I. Joe, but judge him at his best--in the overlooked film Fighting.  Its not that great a movie but he does a great job.  Seriously, who is the right age and size and acts better (except maybe Sam Worthington).
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mutant X

Sam Worthington!!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By King_Saturn
    they really need to get started on this Captain America film... we are about to have 2 Iron Man films finished and no Captain America movie yet ? come on now...
    jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jacobyLIVE
    @drawme: That would be perfect. Well,if he bulked up a bit. But he seriously looks like The Cap
    ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ahumancartoon

I'm not worried about who their gonna cast for Cap I'm just pumped that Joe Johnston is directing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.