Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America movie set during WWII?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

From what I hear, it's gonna be a "period-piece." I suppose that makes sense. Maybe end it with him getting frozen or possible even found by Robert Downey Jr and whoever else in the Avengers. I think they should try to skim over the origin as quickly as possible in order to fit it all in and have more action.

Thoughts?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

Yeah then set up for a Winter Soldier movie.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

I can see Cap running in the trenches with planes dropping bombs in the background. It could be epic. It'd be great to throw in the Invaders too but that'd make things more complicated and costly.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Kurrent

The RDJ finding him would be awesome! I hope Bucky is in it.

mantoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mantoid

I think that the movie would go better as you said if it skimmed over Captain's origin, and got him to where he is a superhero. That is the kind of movie that I would go to see. If it just focused on WWII, I most likely wouldn't be as interested.

M

Zenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zenma

i want it in ww2 it'll be awesome seeing him pwning the nazis

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kurrent

Invaders would be nasty. But who could play Namor or oldschool HT

_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By _Sojourn_

This would be a great movie. Captian America, should only have flashbacks, one of them should have Wolverine in it. But he should face a New Red Skull

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Well the Thor movie, from what I've heard, is going to focus on his mythology rather than the real world. If that's the case, setting Cap in WW2 makes sense. It would be different from the standard superhero movie to have him fighting Nazis. But if they do it, it's got to be a proper war film.

While I would like the Invaders, I think it would take some focus of Cap and you know half the audience (more like 90%) won't get the difference between WW2 Torch and Johnny Storm. That said, I wouldn't mind a nod to them in it for the fans. A subtle Wolverine mention would be cool too.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zero edge

As long as he fights the Red Skull too then it's all good.

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ebony Bishop

Well, at least they squashed those McConaughey rumours.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Andferne

I can't wait for them to get this movie out and I hope they do a good of a job on it as they did with Iron Man. This can be not only a kick butt comic film but a potential kick@$$ war movie as well.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

Ebony Bishop says:

"Well, at least they squashed those McConaughey rumours."

Thank goodness.

Here's some more info:

Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige has spoken out to set a few facts straight. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, he revealed that The First Avenger: Captain America (not Captain America: The First Avenger as originally reported) will be a period flick set during World War II. That’s great news for true believers as it follows the comic icon’s official origin story – skinny test subject Steve Rogers volunteers to be injected with a Super-Soldier serum that will turn him into the patriotic perfect human being – and will give us the opportunity to see Mr USA kicking all kinds of Nazi butt and most likely facing off against his uber-bastard arch-nemesis, the Red Skull.Cap’s debut adventure is scheduled to hit cinemas in May 2011 a few months before Marvel’s hotly anticipated superhero team-up film The Avengers launches in July, which most likely means that the first film will end on a cliffhanger to be picked up in the second origin flick as (and this is if the films do follow the comic book timeline) – and you might call this a spoiler, albeit very small – the modern-day Avengers find Steve Rogers’ frozen body in the North Atlantic.As with Marvel’s cross-pollination (which started with the Nick Fury appearance in Iron Man and will continue with the Tony Stark cameo in The Incredible Hulk), the comic book giant is looking to emulate its character-packed universe in its movie adaptations. But, while looking to appease long-time fans by immersing, Feige promises that you won’t need to see all of Marvel’s upcoming films to understand The Avengers.“Each of them have to stand on their own,” Feige said. “You won’t have to have seen any of the films to understand The Avengers… but it will help.”In a second bit of news, Feige also confirmed that Matthew McConaughey is not in consideration to play Captain America, which might be a relief to fans.
    shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

G-Man says:

"From what I hear, it's gonna be a "period-piece." I suppose that makes sense. Maybe end it with him getting frozen or possible even found by Robert Downey Jr and whoever else in the Avengers. I think they should try to skim over the origin as quickly as possible in order to fit it all in and have more action.Thoughts?"

I think its a great idea, the context of that character in particular as far as the era goes is much more important than Iron Man, Punisher, etc. It'd be pretty cool having Cap frozen at the end of the movie then defrosted by the Avengers in the team's movie. Wonder who else they'll have appear... Namor maybe? Bucky obviously. Hasn't really been hinted at that Wolverine is ridiculously old in the X-Men movies, maybe he'll make a cameo.

I know he's already cast in the Watchmen movie as Night Owl but Patrick Wilson I think would be perfect.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zero edge

G-Man says:

"Ebony Bishop says:
    "Well, at least they squashed those McConaughey rumours."

Thank goodness.

Here's some more info:

Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige has spoken out to set a few facts straight. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, he revealed that The First Avenger: Captain America (not Captain America: The First Avenger as originally reported) will be a period flick set during World War II. That’s great news for true believers as it follows the comic icon’s official origin story – skinny test subject Steve Rogers volunteers to be injected with a Super-Soldier serum that will turn him into the patriotic perfect human being – and will give us the opportunity to see Mr USA kicking all kinds of Nazi butt and most likely facing off against his uber-bastard arch-nemesis, the Red Skull.Cap’s debut adventure is scheduled to hit cinemas in May 2011 a few months before Marvel’s hotly anticipated superhero team-up film The Avengers launches in July, which most likely means that the first film will end on a cliffhanger to be picked up in the second origin flick as (and this is if the films do follow the comic book timeline) – and you might call this a spoiler, albeit very small – the modern-day Avengers find Steve Rogers’ frozen body in the North Atlantic.As with Marvel’s cross-pollination (which started with the Nick Fury appearance in Iron Man and will continue with the Tony Stark cameo in The Incredible Hulk), the comic book giant is looking to emulate its character-packed universe in its movie adaptations. But, while looking to appease long-time fans by immersing, Feige promises that you won’t need to see all of Marvel’s upcoming films to understand The Avengers.“Each of them have to stand on their own,” Feige said. “You won’t have to have seen any of the films to understand The Avengers… but it will help.”In a second bit of news, Feige also confirmed that Matthew McConaughey is not in consideration to play Captain America, which might be a relief to fans.
    "

Wow... so many good things from that report... Avengers movie comes out soon after Cap... McConaughey isn't playing Cap.. cameos all over the places.. just no info bout the Red Skull yet =(

Avatar image for daredevilfan182
    Daredevilfan182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daredevilfan182

Cap is the man. Nuff said. Even if it doesnt go over as the greatest Marvel movie by movie-goers it will be big to me to see my #2 Hero on the big screen. Im impressed that their going throw with the whole, "him being frozen in ice" thing. Studios are usually afraid people would shrug their shoulder to things like that but now theres no Fox or Columbia Pictures, just Marvel standing on its own and I like that.

Avatar image for daredevilfan182
    Daredevilfan182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daredevilfan182

Post Deleted.

Super-Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Super-Buster

This is awesome and, really, it makes sense. I don't think anything like this has been done before, too bad I'll have to wait 3 years for it. 

So besides Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap, what other Avengers movies could there be to fill in the gap? Wasp and Giant Man?
    RasenganAcv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RasenganAcv2

I don't think  we'll be seeing from Wasp or Giant Man.

As for the WWII setting, I think that's pretty amazing. it could be a great superhero/war movie with Cap pwning Nazis.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Nighthunter

UK, October 6, 2008 - Warning: Spoilers Ahead!Production Weekly (spotted by cinemablend.com) has a plot synopsis for the upcoming The First Avenger: Captain America, which provides several story details about the patriotic hero.

The most important revelation is that, rather than a contemporary take on the Cap'n, the film will focus on Steve Rogers' exploits during WW2.

Here's a fuller plot synopsis: "Born during the Great Depression, Steve Rogers grew up a frail youth in a poor family. Horrified by the newsreel footage of the Nazis in Europe, Rogers was inspired to enlist in the army. However, because of his frailty and sickness, he was rejected. Overhearing the boy's earnest plea, General Chester Phillips offered Rogers the opportunity to take part in a special experiment... Operation: Rebirth. After weeks of tests, Rogers was at last administered the Super-Solider Serum and bombarded by "vita-rays." Steve Rogers emerged from the treatment with a body as perfect as a body can be and still be human. Rogers was then put through an intensive physical and tactical training program. Three months later, he was given his first assignment as Captain America. Armed with his indestructible shield and battle savvy, Captain America has continued his war against evil both as a sentinel of liberty and as leader of the Avengers."

We are not sure how this will tie in with The Avengers movie, which will feature fellow Marvel characters -- such as Tony Stark and Nick Fury -- whose own movies are set in the present day.

[Editor's Note: It would make total sense if they go with the Ultimate storyline and have the character frozen at the end of the Cap film, and then have him thawed out in the Avengers movie.]

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently pencilled in for a May 6, 2011 release.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gmanfromheck

Thank you so much for using the search forum and finding this thread!  A +1 to you!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Lets get Spielberg to direct this and make it even more awesome...

T.M.O.E.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By T.M.O.E.

what would be awesome to do in this movie is to like they've said on his first mission have cap upset hitler in his attack and then Hitler sends red skull to take him out or spy on him throughout the movie while cap triumphs over the nazis in a montage style skipping through various adventures ( where they could possibly in future films have the Invaders ) while having newspapers spinning and flying offscreen which eventually leads captain america to a nazi camp that red skull has lead him to through tampering with government files or something of the sort where then a battle ensues which leads to caps plumit towards the ocean and seemingly dies as the darkness envelops him

credits role and before its over we see a blurred Iron Man ( or Tony ), wasp, giant man, thor, and possibly hulk
    continuing we here tony say " He's alive " ending the movie

and we all wait for the next installment of marvels lineup which would most likely be an Avengers movie

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nighthunter

for me the perfect ending would be seeing how Captain America falls in slow motion of the rocket and all of the soldiers stand by as their greatest soldier falls for certain doom, then in the credits he is taken from the ice by the big hands of Hank Pym

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

This movie better not suck....

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Vance Astro said:
    "This movie better not suck...."
    If they they do the whole fanboy service... it will
    Avatar image for dr__victor_von_doom
    Dr. Victor von Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WWII doesnt have to be 1940's their time so i dont see a problem

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By King_Saturn
    Vance Astro said:
    I dont think it will... they should make sure to put up a good script for this film since Captain America is a very very popular Marvel Character... I would expect something along the lines of Iron Man quality personallly if not better... but maybe thats just me
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    King Saturn said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    I dont think it will... they should make sure to put up a good script for this film since Captain America is a very very popular Marvel Character... I would expect something along the lines of Iron Man quality personallly if not better... but maybe thats just me"
    Iron Man was good,Hulk was good..TWO FOR TWO?
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By King_Saturn
    Vance Astro said:
    "King Saturn said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    I dont think it will... they should make sure to put up a good script for this film since Captain America is a very very popular Marvel Character... I would expect something along the lines of Iron Man quality personallly if not better... but maybe thats just me"
    Iron Man was good,Hulk was good..TWO FOR TWO?"
    Hell Yeah... and I think Captain America could make it Three for Three with the Marvel Trinity... lol
    shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shenron

They will do the same thing with Batman, sucky movie comes out then redeem your mistakes. From what I heard all the movie is WWII

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Hopefully its not another Daredevil

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Erik
    Lunacyde said:
    "Hopefully its not another Daredevil"
    Oh gods! You mentioned that blasphemous garbage?
    Avatar image for dr__victor_von_doom
    Dr. Victor von Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Not Captain America, thats Defiance. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034303/ Whats the point of that video? Someone wants Captain America to be about Jews escaping Poland & fighting with the Russians?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nighthunter

Last week came the announcement that

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By santeria_smith

I want the movie to be like Saving Private Ryan, but with Captain America. Imagine the D-Day scene on Saving Private Ryan at the beginning but with Cap storming in and kicking a$$! wooooo. gets me excited.

Avatar image for the_morningstar
    The Morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The Morningstar
    Vance Astro said:
    You can say that again.
    Although I think they are probably going to go the routes of the Ultimates Cartoon, minus the aliens *prays harder then ever before* and I wish I still had the website but I heard that the Hulk is going to be the villian in the Avengers movie.
    And an Invaders movie would rule!
    capsvibranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By capsvibranium

it should start just like saving private ryan, right on normandy, backing the nazis into a corner.  plane explodes, cap falls in the ocean, revived 20 years later by the avengers.  that sounds like a solid first half hour.  intermittently they can sneak in flashes of operation: rebirth, just like in hulk.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.