Captain America is really a peak human?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not understand

if the Captain America is a human peak, a perfect human with human capabilities developed at 100%, means that Captain use 100% of the mind of the human capacity

People who can use 25% or 30% of their mental capacity can move objects with his mind .. If the Captain can use 100% of his mind would have enormous psychic powers .. but it seems that the captain did not even use 20% of the mind ..

if the captain is really a peak human, should be more powerful than it is ..

#2 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

he just strong physical but no mental powers

He is a great tactician though

#3 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

he just strong physical but no mental powers

He is a great tactician though

this is obvious, do not need to tell me .. if the captain is peak human should be able to use 100% of mind and have great psychic powers ..

#4 Posted by HughJass (375 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum said:

People who can use 25% or 30% of their mental capacity can move objects with his mind

No, what the hell? Where are you getting this from? And don't give me that "humans only use 10% of their brain" crap because it isn't true.

#5 Posted by zj (44 posts) - - Show Bio

The super serum affected Cap physically - not mentally. Even using "comic book science" just improving you physically does not necessarily grant you mental powers.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum: actually it is a myth that we don't use our whole brain it's just that we only spend 10 % for conscious thought the rest of you're brain is being used to control involuntary systems and sub conscious activities such as your dreams

#7 Posted by AskaniSon295 (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is a Super Soldier he took a Super Soldier Serum that gives his abilities if Steve Rogers never took the Serum he would never get as Strong or as Agile as Captain America. The only reason they say he is a peak human is to discourage steroid use, because the last think Marvel wants is a lawsuit over some kid taking steroids thinking they are super soldier serum to be like Captain America.

#8 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

How does one define peak human? I've seen debates w/Batman vs Cap and it seems that people rank them as equals physically because they are peak humans. I've always thought Cap had an edge based on the serum especially since some of the things he is able to do is not really human.

#9 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

How does one define peak human? I've seen debates w/Batman vs Cap and it seems that people rank them as equals physically because they are peak humans. I've always thought Cap had an edge based on the serum especially since some of the things he is able to do is not really human.

If Batman can have the same physical capacity that the captain america, without serum, then it means that the effect of serum is garbage

both can not be equal, one of them is being stimulated by serum and the other does not .. can not be equal .. is absurd

it is obvious that the difference between Batman and the captain is the effect of serum

#10 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@HughJass said:

@serum said:

People who can use 25% or 30% of their mental capacity can move objects with his mind

No, what the hell? Where are you getting this from? And don't give me that "humans only use 10% of their brain" crap because it isn't true.

then how to explain this?

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum: It's well documented that the whole thing a bout people only using 10% of their brain is BS and no youtube video is going to change that fact

#12 Edited by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

In a upcoming comic it is stated that Captain America has Superhuman strength and agility.

#13 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: I say PIS.

Batman somehow survives beatings from Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, Bane etc. but walks way like nothing happened.

Same with Cap. He fights the Hulk and Ironman but occasionally wins.

They're poster boys for their respective companies, and are written to be able to go through this.. but both are peak-human.

#14 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio

I always figured that Cap was superhuman. The serum pushes him farther than human's can go. What's the point of spending millions on technology that creates the equivalent of inexpensive training?

#15 Posted by LightningTiger2190 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book peak human >>>>>>>>> real life peak human. Have you seen batman's work out regiment? He is a a beast and does things no human could possibly do. Je benches 1000 lbs to stay in shape. Let that settle. He is not trying to build any more mass , just keep conditioned. It's The same with captain america. He has the benefit of not being able to be exhausted as fast as bruce. Both of them have dodged bullets skillfully. They also punch through brick walls and bend pipes like they paper.

#16 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@SexualLobster said:

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: I say PIS.

Batman somehow survives beatings from Solomon Grundy, Killer Croc, Bane etc. but walks way like nothing happened.

Same with Cap. He fights the Hulk and Ironman but occasionally wins.

They're poster boys for their respective companies, and are written to be able to go through this.. but both are peak-human.

@LightningTiger2190 said:

Comic book peak human >>>>>>>>> real life peak human. Have you seen batman's work out regiment? He is a a beast and does things no human could possibly do. Je benches 1000 lbs to stay in shape. Let that settle. He is not trying to build any more mass , just keep conditioned. It's The same with captain america. He has the benefit of not being able to be exhausted as fast as bruce. Both of them have dodged bullets skillfully. They also punch through brick walls and bend pipes like they paper.

@Kallarkz said:

In a upcoming comic it is stated that Captain America has Superhuman strength and agility.

@Kal'smahboi said:

I always figured that Cap was superhuman. The serum pushes him farther than human's can go. What's the point of spending millions on technology that creates the equivalent of inexpensive training?

Batman can not be peak human ..

Captain America can not be super-human ..

If Captain America was super-human stop being human, the very word says it, "super-human", it is above the human

If the Captain was super-human, serum alter to DNA and he can not be human, and it would be super-human, even mutant, the DNA would have a mutation or change

Captain America is officially considered human

the reason why Captain America seems super-human is the reason that any human can not get to that level without the serum.. serum has the necessary components or nutrients the body needs to function to their maxim capacity

nobody can have this capability by traditional methods, for this reason is considered super-human

Batman can not be human peak, Batman has not been subject to any special procedure to obtain the maximum human capacity, the training is not sufficient to achieve peak human capacity, Batman thanks to his hard training has great physical ability, but not peak, as a fully trained soldier

#17 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum said:

all i can tell you is that in an upcoming comic he is being classified as superhuman.

#18 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio
@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

If Captain America was super-human stop being human, the very word says it, "super-human", it is above the human

If the Captain was super-human, serum alter to DNA and he can not be human, and it would be super-human, even mutant, the DNA would have a mutation or change

the reason why Captain America seems super-human is the reason that any human can not get to that level without the serum.. serum has the necessary components or nutrients the body needs to function to their maxim capacity

nobody can have this capability by traditional methods, for this reason is considered super-human

Batman can not be human peak, Batman has not been subject to any special procedure to obtain the maximum human capacity, the training is not sufficient to achieve peak human capacity, Batman thanks to his hard training has great physical ability, but not peak, as a fully trained soldier

Superhuman means more than human. Someone with superhuman strength can be a human genetically, but has strength greater than that of a human. Cap has been exposed to a formula that pushes him beyond what a human could perform. You said that Batman could not achieve this. It doesn't make sense that the peak human strength is something that a human alone could not achieve.
#19 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio

in peak human physical condition. Not mental.

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

If the Serum was applied to the mind also that would be cool.

#21 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Superhuman means more than human. Someone with superhuman strength can be a human genetically, but has strength greater than that of a human. Cap has been exposed to a formula that pushes him beyond what a human could perform. You said that Batman could not achieve this. It doesn't make sense that the peak human strength is something that a human alone could not achieve.

If Batman were a human peak, should have strength peak.. It means that Batman should have the same strength of Zangief .. Zangief has possibly strength peak (only strength) .. Batman is far from having the same strength of Zangief, Batman does not have that peak strength.. Batman is not a human peak..

#22 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3504 posts) - - Show Bio
@serum said:

If Batman were a human peak, should have strength peak.. It means that Batman should have the same strength of Zangief .. Zangief has possibly strength peak (only strength) .. Batman is far from having the same strength of Zangief, Batman does not have that peak strength.. Batman is not a human peak..

That wasn't my point at all.
#23 Posted by positronic (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum said:

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

If Batman can have the same physical capacity that the captain america, without serum, then it means that the effect of serum is garbage

I'd say a serum that can turn a 98-pound weakling into Captain America (or Batman) instantly is a pretty sweet invention. Beats 10 years of training (for Batman), or the Charles Atlas method. Would also come in handy if you were trying to create an unbeatable army. Military tacticians notwithstanding.

#24 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio
@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

DC and Street Fighter are completely different universes,``peak`` in Street Fighter is super-human for DC`s standards.
Balrog (who is not stronger than Zangief) killed an Elephant with a single punch.
#25 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

@serum said:

That wasn't my point at all.

you say that Captain America is super-human.. Captain America has no superhuman powers.. Captain America is as fast as the fastest athletes.. He is as strong as a human athlete Olympic medalist can be.. He is as agile as a human can be.. He has all the enhanced human physical abilities to the maximum of human limits.. this has nothing super-human..

#26 Posted by pooty (11011 posts) - - Show Bio

@serum: Captain America had the super soldier serum removed during a blood transfusion in the eighties. WHen Nancy Reagan was all against drugs. hank Pym offered to give it back to him and Cap said "If i can't say no, then who can". So he is doing all this on his own now. He is peak by marvel standards. Batman is peak by DC standards and Zangief is peak by Capcom standards.

#27 Edited by positronic (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty - The problem with any discussions of this type is we are far beyond the days when you could expect Marvel to adhere to established continuity, especially continuity from back in the 1980s. It's pretty obvious that Marvel doesn't give a crap about continuity these days, and hasn't for a while now. Some individual writers might, but continuity hasn't been part of the editorial policy at Marvel in years. Any new writer that is perceived by Marvel as hot and they are looking to recruit, is allowed to run roughshod over continuity. I guess they figure, relatively few readers are going to notice anyway, and to heck with the ones that do.

As R. Crumb said, "It's all just lines on paper" anyway. Or to put it in Marvel's perspective, it's all about the marketing of fictional characters to a diminishing consumer base. So they can pretty much justify Captain America to be as strong or not as strong as the requirements of the story dictate. Wow, I just depressed myself.

#28 Edited by D3athstroke (3910 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the thing Captain America is actually retard but the serum umped his mind to normal levels

#29 Posted by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matezoide said:

@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

@serum said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

DC and Street Fighter are completely different universes,``peak`` in Street Fighter is super-human for DC`s standards. Balrog (who is not stronger than Zangief) killed an Elephant with a single punch.

The problem is the shit .. liars universes, with arguments of energy Ki or chi .. Street Fighter, The King of Fighters (Terry Bogard can destroy a building), Dragon Ball (Yamcha and Krillin are human and have a power superior to the level of Superman and can destroy the planet)

humans have an unlimited capacity and can increase their power with training (are human no peak)

In comparison, Marvel and DC universe has a little more seriousness and realism (compared to this)

#30 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio
@serum
I see your point,and i cant say you are wrong,i just mean that the concept of ``peak human`` varies from one universe to another,as you said,in Dragon Ball or King of Fighters,theres no real ``peak``,since they can always become stronger,while this isnt true for Marvel or DC.
If these people you named were in Marvel/DC,they would be ranked super-humans,for example.
#31 Edited by serum (389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matezoide said:

@serum: I see your point,and i cant say you are wrong,i just mean that the concept of ``peak human`` varies from one universe to another,as you said,in Dragon Ball or King of Fighters,theres no real ``peak``,since they can always become stronger,while this isnt true for Marvel or DC. If these people you named were in Marvel/DC,they would be ranked super-humans,for example.

Captain Marvel, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. have great power super-humans, but has an explanation and a convincing argument, these characters come from other planets or other galaxies .. Thor is a God, Wolverine or Sabrethoot are mutants, and the example of a human peak is the Captain America and DC is Batman .. But that shit Ryu, Terry Bogard, Yamcha and Krillin are humans and have such great powers that could kick the ass of Juggernaut, with arguments energy ki or chi, this is an insult to the intelligence of viewers and people in general. .

#32 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Captain America is the pinnacle of human anatomy. He is the next step in humanity, without being considered a mutation. To say that he is peak human is a serious understatement; the super soldier serum allows him to do feats that humans could only theoretically achieve. E.g to be able to lift 800 lbs, one would have to gain a massive build/ body mass, and as a result lose mobility and speed. In the case of Steve Rogers, he can lift 800lbs but at the same time retain full mobility and speed.

#33 Posted by LightningTiger2190 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

Well Captain America is the pinnacle of human anatomy. He is the next step in humanity, without being considered a mutation. To say that he is peak human is a serious understatement; the super soldier serum allows him to do feats that humans could only theoretically achieve. E.g to be able to lift 800 lbs, one would have to gain a massive build/ body mass, and as a result lose mobility and speed. In the case of Steve Rogers, he can lift 800lbs but at the same time retain full mobility and speed.

All of which Batman and many other super heroes can do. Cap and Batman are super human relative to the real world. I would dare to say Cap is superhuman regardless of Marvel saying he is "peak human". At least Bruce can say he had the best gene pool ever. Cap's body was altered. His body type and frame were altered drastically. The definition of peak human in comic books is an impossibility in reality. As someone said to gain strength you sacrifice power. Bruce and Steve both run sub 6:00 minute miles while being able to bench press 3-4 times there body weight and also having very few peers in the realm of gymnastics. Dick is even counted as peak human in the DC universe. He punches through brick walls too. I would say he is a better athlete than Bruce and cap. Because he is roughly 3-4 inches shorter than them he loses out in strength slightly. I don't know why they don't just say Captain america is super human and get it over with. It would make writers lives much easier and would have less to explain. Batman should be the big wtf as far as the definition of "peak human". He trained himself to have feats comparable to a person who needed a serum to reach above 5'5. He is good at almost everything he does. He is tall, good looking, and one of the top ten minds in dcu( not gonna open up the can of worms that is the mysterious #2 spot). Steve can have a ret-con from peak human to a new term I want to call "super-human" (different from the usual super-human adjective). Batman we must accept that in DC it is possible for a man to do such things unaided.

#34 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

They say the only mental powers the serum gave cap is that he can instantly remember any battlefield situation that he has ever used and implement it while fighting. So it made him a good tactician.

#35 Edited by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@LightningTiger2190: In my opinion, Steve has always been a step above Bruce in terms of physical attributes due to the fact that, as you say, Cap's body was altered. Try as hard as he may, Bruce would never be able to achieve Steve's physicality. It would be like questioning why a cat was not as a strong as a lion. The thing with Marvel's strength scaling is that they put a cap (no pun intended) on the 100 ton mark, and as a result Steve cannot be superhuman in order to portray the vast difference between him and a Hulk. This also stands inversely true for the D.C power scaling, whereby you have characters like Superboy who can supposedly "punch reality", and as a result peak humans like Batman and co are all seen doing over the top feats. In an unbiased universe, Batman would be peak human and Captain America would be superhuman (which is funny considering the origins of his abilities; the "super" solder serum). Marvel should make a slot called "post-human" (somewhere between peak and super) just for Captain America. As for Dick, I'd say it's debatable as to whether he is a better athlete than Bruce, let alone Steve. What do you consider to be athletic?

#36 Posted by LightningTiger2190 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum:Dick is the only person alive that can do a quadruple somersault. He is far more agile than anyone in the bat family(damien is the only person i see reaching dicks level of athleticism, but look at who his parents are).

While I agree that Steve should have a physical edge on Bruce, the scales you present are what shift them into the territory of equality. In DC a human is fully capable of dodging bullets, being punched in the face by villains with far superior strength and still walk away from it, etc. Going by Bruce's workout plan, we see he ran a 4:20 mile and called that slow. Dick is faster and is in as good shape as Bruce. Cap has been documented to run a mile in 6:00 min. Would this not make Bruce and Dick superior in the aspect of speed to Cap?

#37 Posted by Dernman (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Captain America is both Physically and Mentally Human peak. They explained it in one of his comics.

#38 Posted by k4tzm4n (39228 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Cap: Enhanced, not peak.

Staff Online
#39 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

This. And how in the X-Sanction preview he is being classified as having Peak human strength and agility prove it even more.

#40 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: What? Ultimate Captain America is superhuman isn't he? I'm pretty sure he can lift about 2 tons max.

#41 Posted by Dernman (14899 posts) - - Show Bio
@yumyumbubblegum: I'm not sure how strong Ultimate Cap is all I know for sure is the serum effected his mind like it did his body. 
#42 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@LightningTiger2190: It would mean that Dick is faster than both Bruce and Steve at running a mile within the D.C universe. Plus, on the Marvel wiki it says that Steve can run a mile in little over a minute when under duress.

#43 Edited by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman:

The last 2 scans are of Steve's illegitimate son (Red Skull), who was born with the serum.

#44 Posted by Chaos Burn (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, if he serum increased muscle cell build up, i don't see why (in a comic) it'd be silly for his brain cells to improve.... though obviously Cap isn't currently mentally supreme

#45 Posted by LightningTiger2190 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum: Ah thank you for the clarification on speed.I thought the 6:00 min thing was really slow. But my point is that since both exist in different universes there is a different standard for "peak human". So i feel it best to equate them. While i firmly believe that Steve should be classified as "Super-Human" as well as bruce to a lesser extent. DC and Marvel believe they should guard their Two "normal human" . Looking at achievements, there are no other "peak human" super heroes that have done what they have done in both camps(actually in batman's case there are a handful). So what we get are super human feats from people that are supposedly the peak potential of a human body. The problem is that the human body is designed to excel in one area while sacrificing others. So now we have the problem as having to classify Steve as more than human and Bruce as a meta human, which again DC and Marvel would rather not do .

#46 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@positronic: I agree about the writers being brought in to do whatever they please with characters and continuity. I can understand why Marvel, in particular do this, but to me when you place the writers importance over that of the characters, then the characters suffer in the long run. I think Marvel should be looking after their properties more and thinking about theier longevity (by the way, anyone that uses a R. Crumb quote on this site is AWESOME in my humble opinion).

Anyhoo, regarding the topic at hand, i think the comparison between Captain America and Batman is not the right one, we should really be comparing Captain America to Deathstroke if we want a really fair comparison of "peak" human physical efficiency, after all, the origins of their abilities are very similar (of course in the New 52, Deathstroke may have got his powers from the back of a packet of corn flakes).

Regarding Batman being the peak of human perfection, i think a lot of comments on here have regarded this as being easy, but let's face it, Batman is no ordinary human. His drive, his determination and sheer will are what make him what he is. That is extraordinary in a human (comic or otherwise) and that's what makes him not only the equal of the good Captain physically, but the equal of Superman and hte rest heroically.

In closing let me just state that any man who wears tights whilst fighting villains can claim to be the peak of whatever he damned well pleases. Thank you.

#47 Posted by fullmetalquach (94 posts) - - Show Bio

they say he is at peak physical condition for a human, but his feats seem to go beyond that, he is able to throw his shield with such an immense amount of force that it ricochets off of people and doesnt noticeably lose velocity, thats pretty amazing, and i dont think he could be compared to batman in strength, to me it seems obvious that batman is weaker

#48 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is waaaaay more serious than I thought it would be

@Kallarkz said:

@k4tzm4n said:

This. And how in the X-Sanction preview he is being classified as having Peak human strength and agility prove it even more.

This

I thought this was all common knowledge?

#49 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Kallarkz said:

@k4tzm4n said:

This

So did I. Captain America is above peak human, but everyone seems to disagree despite the fact that it is often explicitly mentioned.

He is stronger than Batman. Batman is more inventive and smarter, but Cap is stronger. They are different types of tacticians, so it depends on the situation as to who is better. They're both fairly clever as far as using their skills and equipment to gain the upper hand in almost any situation.

Thinking about it, I would say they're near-equal tacticians. I consider Cap's skills slightly better from World War II and a lot of the covert missions he was on, but that's obviously debatable.

#50 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Kallarkz said:

@k4tzm4n said:

This

So did I. Captain America is above peak human, but everyone seems to disagree despite the fact that it is often explicitly mentioned.

He is stronger than Batman. Batman is more inventive and smarter, but Cap is stronger. They are different types of tacticians, so it depends on the situation as to who is better. They're both fairly clever as far as using their skills and equipment to gain the upper hand in almost any situation.

Thinking about it, I would say they're near-equal tacticians. I consider Cap's skills slightly better from World War II and a lot of the covert missions he was on, but that's obviously debatable.

For me Cap wins in a random encounter Bats wins with intel or prep. I think that is fair to both characters strengths.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.