CAPTAIN AMERICA Goes Sci-Fi In His Upcoming Marvel NOW! Series

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

On Friday, October 26th Marvel revealed their plans for Captain America starting this November with the launch of Marvel NOW! The Captain America Liveblog featuring Marvel creators Rick Remender, John Romita Jr. and Tom Brevoort launched with Remender's discussion of how the series will experience a shift. The launch of Marvel NOW! will give the publisher the opportunity to tell new kinds of stories starring some of their biggest names -- Captain America included. According to the series' writer Rick Remender, the new Captain America book will take a turn to science fiction, of all things.

At the core of this book is Steve Rogers. Even though tonally you can expect a bit of a shift, the character still shines true. We're taking a drift into science fiction. Visually it will be pretty crazy. John is plugging away on issue #3 and it looks gorgeous…It's a large step away from the espionage spy stuff Ed Brubaker has been doing, but it's the same core character dropped in a new situation.

This isn't the first time Remender has written a strong, commanding character set in a sci fi-esque environment (FEAR AGENT, anyone?) so it will certainly be interesting to see whether the character bears any similarities to Remender's Captain America.

== TEASER ==

It won't just be Remender's writing that will envelop Captain America in this sci-fi world, it's everything from the layout of the story to the colors, too. Marvel colorist Dean White will be "taking a sepia approach" used on Black Panther several years ago, and applying it to John Romita Jr.'s pencils on this new series.

Yet, from what's been mentioned, it doesn't seem like this will be your run of the mill Captain America title. You can bet that Remender will throw in a whole lot of oddities, really testing Romita's skills as an artist. According to Romita, there were moments in which he thought he was drawing KICK-ASS.

Rick asked for a scene with a human Arnim Zola walking into his lab and then it's 1960's horror movie gore. I had a moment of thinking I was drawing Kick-Ass and had gotten my books confused… There are human heads on other things and so on. It gave me the willies. That doesn't happen a lot.

However, don't let this sashay into science fiction fool you, this is still an "action book…high adventure," according to Remender. Even though he's taking a turn into a new genre with the classic character, readers and fans should expect that Captain America will remain very much Cap -- that's not changing.

When I'm writing it, I can already envision it because it feels very similar tonally to Man Without Fear which John drew. It was important to show Steve earning the tenacity and heart, because you're not born with that. What you learn from your parents and the people around you informs your decisions and choices that define who you become. I've read up and done research on the Great Depression, a lot of recounts of amazing stories where people rose up and had hope that it would end even five years in. The optimism of Captain America is something I'm excited to write.

Fans can expect Arnim Zola to play a really big part in the start of this series, for sure, and it seems that Remender has big plans for the character. Plans that could very well redefine him.

Zola doesn't come out of this with anybody ever thinking he's a joke again. He's a high level madman, the top boss and the focus. But as always, there are henchmen. We've got Dough Boy, who is Jabba the Hutt as designed by Jack Kirby. When you see what John does with Zola's mutates and their weapons, it's wonderful, incredible big and exciting.

What do you think of Rick Remender and John Romita Jr's upcoming CAPTAIN AMERICA series? Do you think it's a good idea to integrate a little bit of sci-fi into this series? Are you looking forward to Remender's vision of the character?

Source: Marvel

#1 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't Wait

Rick Remender: Captain America

Scott Snyder: Batman

#2 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

God the art is bad but I will pick it up for Remender's writing.

#3 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Soverighn: Agreed. One of my favorite artists with one of my favorite writers writing one of my favorite characters. Hoo-Ah!

#4 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: yeah man

#5 Posted by Cap10nate (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

After 8 awesome years, I will be able to figure out if Cap is my favorite character because of Brubaker's writing or because of who Cap really is (well as real as a fictional character can be) because this seems as far from Brubaker's series one could imagine.

#6 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

man i love the art but all the covers look like crap

#7 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

What happened to Caps costume. I thought they redid it… It's ugly/outdated again...

#8 Posted by badgame (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the art. Especially not a fan of that cover...

#9 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I would pick this up if I could afford another monthly book.

#10 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio
Cool. When someone is passionate about what they are writing, the series will be very good. I imagine that will be the case here.
#11 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

So, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Uncanny Avengers, Young Avengers, Fantastic Four, FF, All New X-Men, Unstoppable Hulk or whatever it was called, plus Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, and Flash, and Aquman (maybe), and Earth 2, World Finest (for now), New Crusaders, Invincible, Daredevil, Wonder Woman, It Girl, and probably more I am not thinking of. Dang! So many comics.

Wait, does Cap's shield not have straps anymore? Does it just stick to his arm by magnets or nano tachnology, or it it an energy shield again or something? Have the updated his tech?

#12 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for this book!

#13 Posted by Black_Claw (2988 posts) - - Show Bio

Sci fi? Um ok, sounds interesting.

#14 Posted by BritishMonkey (324 posts) - - Show Bio

@BoyWander: This is the previews of the first issue. Caps costume could change along the way in later issues. You never know...

#15 Posted by JMLG (135 posts) - - Show Bio

what will happen to Winter Soldier series tho?!

#16 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6356 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtisticNeedham: Wait, does Cap's shield not have straps anymore? Does it just stick to his arm by magnets or nano tachnology, or it it an energy shield again or something? Have the updated his tech?

Cuz Wolverine cut them off in Jr's stint on AvX #3 and he hasn't bothered to draw them back in yet. In all seriousness, it just 'looks' that way do to awkward artwork I guess.

I don't think Romita Jr. deserves the 'crap' artist rap to the extent to which he gets it. He has some very strong moments though his grasp on anatomy can be found wanting at times.

Will be picking this up myself.

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

cool art, cool writer, i'll pick it up

#18 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

And there goes another four of my dollars.

#19 Edited by Cavemold (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

This is was in preview pamphelt few weeks back , decent interiors and pretty good writer but not what im looking for.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33425 posts) - - Show Bio

JRJ and Sci-Fi = Instant turn off

#21 Posted by War Killer (20206 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll admit, the art looks better than I first thought it would. hopefully it will stay this way, though one thing I wish they would do is keep Cap's new design with other artist. There have been at least four different redesigns so far, I wish they would create one and have all of the artist stick with that one.

But overall, I'm curious as to where this series will go.

#22 Posted by grenade728 (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a big fan of JRJr but this looks better than some of his other stuff. I'm really interested to see where this title takes me.

#23 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks blurry and has no detail, I'm going to hesitantly try it.

#24 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

To bad I hate his character after AvX

#25 Edited by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@BoyWander: Some artists can't draw him with all that detail

His new outfit is so awsome

its some artists just skip that & keep his gloves & helmet

#26 Posted by neiliusprime (255 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly I am not looking forward to this. I was until Remender said that this would be more sci-fi and less espionage/agent like. Brubaker is the reason I loved reading Captain America. This is just a turn off. I will just wait until the whole sci-fi stories end.

#27 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to this.

#28 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good to me,although I cannot afford to buy it monthly. So I'll wait for the hardcover collection to come with low price. Looking forward to it.

#29 Posted by usabfb (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really liking the art, but Rick Remender is going to crush it out of the park on this one.

#30 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@DATNIGGA said:

@BoyWander: Some artists can't draw him with all that detail

His new outfit is so awsome

its some artists just skip that & keep his gloves & helmet

I like this cap much better. I really hated the scaly chainmail and wings. The wings were never a part of the new design so I'm confused as to why he still has them and why he doesn't have the hexagonal armor instead now. (What title is this pic from? I might pick it up for the art)

#31 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

If the sci-fi angle is supposed to turn me off from it, it failed. I like that the Cap NOW book would have a slight sci-fi angle. JRJR's art though...eh...nobody's perfect I guess, right?

#32 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like JRJR's art on this one. Not as bad as AvX...

#33 Posted by DATNIGGA (1193 posts) - - Show Bio

@BoyWander: AvX consequences #1 i think is the name of that issue

#34 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

@JMLG: It's still coming out but being written by someone that isn't Ed Brubaker.

#35 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get how you people love this art compared to other amazing artists!

The only good bit is the plane falling from the sky!

#36 Posted by alex6166 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

HEy, where's Cap's face on that cover?

Theydid that on New Avengers 1 and I recently realized that it's not a great idea, visually speaking.

#37 Posted by Vermoot (95 posts) - - Show Bio

But why are they still giving a book to John Romita ? Look at the arms on the cover ! What ?

#38 Posted by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

That art is enough to keep me away. It's not as bad as Dillon's, but it's still not my cup of tea.

#39 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

The dialogue from the evil minions and sexy chick is crappy.

#40 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

@broo1232 said:

God the art is bad but I will pick it up for Remender's writing.

Romitas art isnt that bad

#41 Edited by krauser99 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the art work I'm not a huge fan of it looks average, I've seen worse for sure though but the story has a lot of potential if done right.

#42 Posted by Hanson724 (561 posts) - - Show Bio

The art is fine with me, sure I've seen better but this is not bad at all. I love the story so far in Dimension Z....can't wait for the next issue in 2 weeks... I think

#43 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like JRJr.'s artwork on the book. Both he and Remender are doing a great job so far. I can't wait for the next issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.