Captain America (Film) - Early Critics Screening a Huge Hit!

#1 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

A good sign. 
 
Early Critics Screening of Captain America: The First Avenger a hit; said to be better than Iron Man (2008)

http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/captain...-buzz-1564595/



Quote:
The Chris Evans headlining film about Marvel's Star Spangled Avenger has gone through it's first critics screening and word on the street suggests it's going to be a hit.

Late last week several critics from long-lead news outlets (movie magazines, newspapers and other print mediums) attended a screening of Captain America. Though no official reviews or opinions were shared publicly, word has gotten out that the film was unanimously approved.

Surprisingly, the film was noted to be more akin to Marvel Studios' 2008 hit Iron Man as apposed to the company's other 2011 release, Thor; with some of the critics even saying The First Avenger's quality tops that of their Armored Avenger.

Captain America: The First Avenger stars Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, Haley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones and Neal McDonough.

The film is directed by Joe Johnston (The Rocketeer) and is scheduled for 2D and 3D theatrical release on July 22nd, 2011.
#2 Posted by fesak (7058 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

Moderator
#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I generally don't care what critics say it's a good thing as far as public perception goes especially considering the bashing Green Lantern took (it wasn't nearly as bad as the critics said but it was still pretty meh)  

#4 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pleasing to read.

#5 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised at all, Marvel Studios is the best. Nuff' said.

#6 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

good, if they really wanna push the avengers franchise they can't afford a single failure at this point in the game.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone: Well giving WB's lack of faith in any super hero other than Batman and Johns' creative interference GL didn't really have much of a chance to be big with any audience aside from comic fans but even from us the best thing I heard said of the movie was simply that it wasn't awful, While I agree it wasn't the worst movie I can understand why it wasn't the success they'd hoped for 
#8 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

woohoo :)

#9 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@turoksonofstone: Well giving WB's lack of faith in any super hero other than Batman and Johns' creative interference GL didn't really have much of a chance to be big with any audience aside from comic fans but even from us the best thing I heard said of the movie was simply that it wasn't awful, While I agree it wasn't the worst movie I can understand why it wasn't the success they'd hoped for 
Most DC film projects are a Complete Fail as early as the concept stage. It is what it is. Well defined and conceived concepts translate better than garbage ones.
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone: I'm saying WB doesn't give the DC heroes enough respect to give them well thought out movies and Johns' attitude toward the project will probably prevent WB from taking them seriously in the future where as Marvel works with people who respect the material and try not to piss off the studios in the process ending in a higher quality movie that appeals to a wider audience and lets face it if it weren't for Nolan WB wouldn't be putting out any good Super hero movies 
#11 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

This is great to hear I've been waiting for a really long time to see a good cap film.
#12 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@turoksonofstone: I'm saying WB doesn't give the DC heroes enough respect to give them well thought out movies and Johns' attitude toward the project will probably prevent WB from taking them seriously in the future where as Marvel works with people who respect the material and try not to piss off the studios in the process ending in a higher quality movie that appeals to a wider audience and lets face it if it weren't for Nolan WB wouldn't be putting out any good Super hero movies 
agreed.
#13 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe
 
I agree as well.
#14 Posted by PowerHerc (84386 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to here this.

I know this one is going to be and do better than expected.

10 more days . . .

#15 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman was all the acting, with the action almost phoned in.  Which is probably predictable, how they shot it.  It failed in IM2. 
 
I'm glad this lives.  Is Captain America a pretty good skater as well?

#16 Posted by cattlebattle (12830 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
Not surprised at all, Marvel Studios is the best. Nuff' said.
disagree, most of Marvel Studios, note: I said most...are usually decent at best, they're due for anther really good one though, So I'm happy to hear this
#17 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Iron Man, Thor and The Incredible Hulk were all great. Iron Man 2 was okay.
#18 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear this. After Thor I was worried.

#19 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg: What didn't you like about Thor?
#20 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!: A few things:  
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

This makes me really happy :) 
 
Cap's movie was the only one that I was worried about when they first started. I loved Iron Man, Thor and Incredible Hulk, so I doubt this one'll come off any different. 

#22 Posted by Sammo21 (697 posts) - - Show Bio

While MARVEL might not be doing great (for me) in the animated department, they are killing it in the MARVEL studios movies. So excited for this movie, cannot wait!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.