Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

CAPTAIN AMERICA Casting Update

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Odds are, you'll be seeing whatever actress gets picked in this kind of pose in a few years.
     Odds are, you'll be seeing whatever actress gets picked in this kind of pose in a few years.

Much like the CIVIL WARS GENERALS: FACT OR FICTION documentary that aired on MST3K existed to prove the existence of military leaders in the war between the states, so too does Marvel’s latest press release exist to assert the existence of Chris Evans’ CAPTAIN AMERICA casting.   I know some of you have harbored doubts over the past couple weeks, but they won’t have a leg to stand on after you read the incontrovertible proof below…

Marvel Studios has officially confirmed that Chris Evans will star as Captain America in the studio's highly anticipated movie THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA directed by Joe Johnston from a script penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige will produce THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA. Alan Fine, Stan Lee, David Maisel, Stratton Leopold and Louis D'Esposito will executive produce. The film will be released in the US on July 22, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.

Chris Evans will next star in Sylvain White's THE LOSERS. He will also star in Edgar Wright's SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD. He recently wrapped production on PUNCTURE and he will soon start production on WHATS YOUR NUMBER. Evans previous credits include starring as Johnny Storm in the FANTASTIC FOUR Films, Danny Boyle's SUNSHINE and David Ayer's STREET KINGS.

In addition to THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA, Marvel Studios will release a slate of films based on the Marvel characters including the highly anticipated sequel, IRON MAN 2, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow on May 7, 2010, THOR on May 6, 2011, and THE AVENGERS on May 4, 2012.

Evans is represented by CAA, 3 Arts Entertainment and his attorney at Stone, Meyer, Genow, Smelkinson & Binder.

Cap’s casting’s confident but concerns continue concerning Carter. That is, Captain America’s spy girlfriend, Peggy Carter. Who shall play her? It seems that Marvel made Emily Blunt an offer and she turned it down! I’ll leave you, the insider-trading Comic Vine community to speculate as to why, but I suspect that the likelihood that this could be a multi-picture gig might have something to do with it.  Sora_thekey brought up the in the notion that whatever actress does end up playing Peggy will most likely play her relative (and fellow girlfriend of Steve Rogers), Sharon Carter Sebastian Sean’s casting announcement was appended with the note that it was a multi-picture deal, putting the likelihood out there that Bucky’s going to return as the Winter Soldier in the sequels.  Fans probably ought to look at these casting decisions as having more lasting impact over the scope of these mega-stories than they might initially perceive, as the actors likely won’t stay in World War II.  I’m sure if Hugo Weaving becomes the Red Skull, he’ll show up in modern times as well.

With Blunt out the picture, that leaves Keira Knightly and Alice Eve’s faces in the fray. Who would you, the Comic Vine community, want to win this race? And why don’t we speculate on the remaining roles? Do you want Hugo Weaving as the Skull? How about the Invaders? Who should play the Torch, Union Jack, the Destroyer et al? What about other villains of that era like the barons Zemo  and Von Strucker?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dane

Allow me to reassert my enthusiasm:

bleeeeeeaaaaaaaargghhhhhh.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By thatlad

Keira Knightley's too skinny to play a convincing Agent Carter, they should give it to an absolute unknown so they can get the multi-picture deal they're looking for. Also it avoids the storm-halle berry effect, ie bigger star wants bigger part more screentime even though it gets in the way of the story.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bruce Vain

I'm thinking Alice Eve might be the possible choice. 

For Union Jack I like Tom Hardy from Bronson & Rocknrolla. I doubt Torch will be in it.

Nokturnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nokturnum

What About Julie Benz? 

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Roninidas
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By waruikumo

hmmm multi-picture deal doubtful, considering i dont see more than 2/3rds of the movie being in the 1940's.  annnnnd Peggy Carter is a WW2 human character.   

Real reason, the hack they picked for Cap, good luck getting serious actors now.  You've got some romance movie boy and the agent from matrix, I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Jackson sits this one out, and he did snakes on a plane.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Chane

I think having The Torch in it would be a mistake, as some may have difficulty seeing past Evan's turn as the Human Torch in the FF films anyway, having a character called The Torch would only serve to remind them of his other MU role.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AngelFrost

I love Emily Blunt
    and I agree with her turning it down. 

I'd love to see her have a part in a comic movie, but her talents shouldn't be waisted on a love interest, Emily deserves to play a bigger role. One more important in the marvel universe. 

:D

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Red Rum

Again, if they do put the Invaders in the "First Avenger", they'll have to strip them of their powers and code-names, not to mention completely omitting Namor from the ranks and saving him for another movie. 

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngelFrost

I'd give the role to Keira Knightley  (:

Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Treason

I want a thunderbolts movie in the future so im hoping they go with red skull n zemo
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By grimreaper1980

union jack- bradley james

human torch- macauley culkin 
    the destroyer- cam gigadet 
    namor- zachary quinto 
    baron zemo- julian macmahon
    baron strucker- klaus meine 
    arnim zola- mark hamill 

mrduckluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrduckluck

deja vu

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Moomin123

Chris Evans being Cap is a big mistake. I hate these retarded casting directors in superhero films always having the hero's roles acted out by actors in their 20s. They make superheroes look like children! 
    Marvel's decicion on Cap's actor was, is and always shall be...retarded. 

Anyway, Keira Knightly will make her role look depressed and boring, like in all films she does, like the Duchess. Even Elizabeth in Pirates of the Caribbean was boring. I could see Julia Benz in Peggy's role.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i got it... 

Jessica Alba as Carter
     Jessica Alba as Carter

Ryan Reynolds as The Destroyer
     Ryan Reynolds as The Destroyer

as The Human Torch
     as The Human Torch

Christian Bale as Union JAck
     Christian Bale as Union JAck

WHat U think?

Hilarious and Perfect aint it.
    LauraX23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LauraX23
    OMG CHRIS EVANS IS CAPTAIN AMERICA!! YAY!!!!
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Korg

I find myself not caring about this movie. I don't think Captain America is a character whose essence can ever be captured on screen satisfactorily. Certainly not by someone who I already associate as a goofball from the Fantastic Four franchise.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By doordoor123

Chris Evans is such a good actor. He's really under-appreciated by most of the comic book society.
    Am i mistaking or is Captain America supposed to be young? Chris Evans was by far the best choice. Just because he could play Johnny Storm doesnt mean he cant play Cap. Yall haters are going to be pleasantly surprised. I mean its not as bad as Megan Fox playing Red Sonja. LOL

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ironshadow
    @Yung ANcient One:  Pine should have been Cap
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20  Edited By SevanGrim
    @Moomin123 said:
    " Chris Evans being Cap is a big mistake. I hate these retarded casting directors in superhero films always having the hero's roles acted out by actors in their 20s. They make superheroes look like children! Marvel's decicion on Cap's actor was, is and always shall be...retarded.  Anyway, Keira Knightly will make her role look depressed and boring, like in all films she does, like the Duchess. Even Elizabeth in Pirates of the Caribbean was boring. I could see Julia Benz in Peggy's role. "
    its not that bad. the interesting thing they are doing here is giving us Rookie Cap, and then when we see him in Avengers, it wont be so bad, cuz its already associated. I still would have rather had someone you look at and instantly think "well crap! your a super soldier" Channing Tatum or anyone built like John Cena, but Evan's IS a great actor who could probably make you believe he's an 18-21yr old Cap. He just has to be sure and buff up before avengers.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By doordoor123
    @Grim said:
    " @Moomin123 said:
    " Chris Evans being Cap is a big mistake. I hate these retarded casting directors in superhero films always having the hero's roles acted out by actors in their 20s. They make superheroes look like children! Marvel's decicion on Cap's actor was, is and always shall be...retarded.  Anyway, Keira Knightly will make her role look depressed and boring, like in all films she does, like the Duchess. Even Elizabeth in Pirates of the Caribbean was boring. I could see Julia Benz in Peggy's role. "
    its not that bad. the interesting thing they are doing here is giving us Rookie Cap, and then when we see him in Avengers, it wont be so bad, cuz its already associated. I still would have rather had someone you look at and instantly think "well crap! your a super soldier" Channing Tatum or anyone built like John Cena, but Evan's IS a great actor who could probably make you believe he's an 18-21yr old Cap. He just has to be sure and buff up before avengers. "
    Man i just thought about how weird the avengers are going to look unless pretty much all the heroes buff up. Ironman and war machine are going to be massive compared to all the other heroes. Unless movie Ironman isnt that tall.
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @ironshadow: 
    But hes not goin to be Cap so dont u think my choices are perfect and hilarious since Evans will be Cap.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.