Captain America and Marvel?

#1 Posted by magicman620 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Would Captain America still be popular today if it wasn’t for Stan Lee’s Marvel’s living in the same universe? I would like think so but I look at The Shield, Fighting American, General Glory, and many others and question if any of them would be just as popular if they were in the Marvel U instead of Captain America? Well what is your opinion?

#2 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think they wouldve done as well as Cap... The only way i could see that happening is if they were created at the same time as cap

#3 Posted by magicman620 (125 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he'd have been just as popular.
#5 Posted by weaponxxx (427 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he would have been as popular because he would have been entirely one dimensional. I think his resurgence on the Avengers is what perpetuated his popularity. That added so many possibilities to explore with Cap and so many new enemies and adventures. If he continued fighting WW2 he would be the Jonah Hex of the Marvel universe. Pretty cool, but forever stuck in his own era and mythos.

#6 Edited by playdohsrepublic (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely not! As great a character as CA has become over 70 years, it was the way he was handled and reintroduced in the 60's that blew him up and firmly established him as THE patriotic American hero. His portrayal as a man out of time, from the "greatest generation" who had reached legendary status but is still haunted by his failure to save his partner and struggling to come to terms with a world he was not familiar with came off as more complex and interesting than anything that was being done with those other characters at the same time (if they were even in use, which some were not). CA had all the hallmarks of classic Silver Age Marvel. Any other similar character comes off as a parody or rip-off.

#7 Posted by jayskee (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

no but Lee made him what he is today
#8 Posted by daredevil21134 (9169 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not sure

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.