'Captain America 2' Gets Two Directors

• 61 results
Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

We know that the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger will be released on April 4, 2014. When the date was announced, the synopsis was also given as picking up from events in The Avengers and Steve Rogers' struggle to find his place in the modern world. What we haven't known is who would be directing the movie.

Yesterday The Hollywood Reporter posted that a couple of directors are in talks and close to closing the deal for the sequel.

It's looking like Anthony and Joe Russo are in final negotiations to direct Captain America 2. The Russo brothers have directed the comedies You, Me and Dupree and Welcome to Collinwood. For television, they've served as executive producers/directors for comedies such as Community and Happy Endings.

You'll notice all the work they've done has one thing in common, they're all comedies. What this says about the direction for the sequel remains to be seen. Marvel Studios has been making the right decisions so far so we'll see.

Other directors in the running included George Nolfi (The Adjustment Bureau) and F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job).

#1 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

George Nolfi? F. Gary Gray? What about these guys made Marvel seriously consider them?

#2 Posted by pspin (894 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Joe Johnston, he did a great job with the first one.

#3 Posted by Lt_Cmdr_Kicker (71 posts) - - Show Bio

George Nolfi would make a good director for ANY Captain America movie. However in most Marvel films recently they've had healthy amounts of comedy that isn't too much. But this is just my opinion..

#4 Posted by kennybaese (1152 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin said:

No kidding. I guess, if it's set in modern day and less of a period piece, using a different director makes a little more sense, but I still kind of wanted him back for the sequel.

#5 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't understand why they would choose the guys who made You, Me, and Dupree....

#6 Posted by TheHeat (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh, what?

#7 Posted by jkoellner (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a little bit of hope (not much). Hell, if the guy behind SWINGERS, MADE, and ELF did a good job with IRON MAN... maybe these guys can do a good job with CAP 2.

#8 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

SWINGERS, MADE WERE GREAT FILMS !!

#9 Posted by BatWatch (3087 posts) - - Show Bio

Boy, that's a weird decision.

I heard You, Me and Dupree was an abomination, but I love Community, so I'm a bit split on these guys as directors in general.

#10 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't need any more comedy in Superhero films.

#11 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti said:

I can't understand why they would choose the guys who made You, Me, and Dupree....

DC have sent in saboteurs to wreck Marvel's film franchises. That's the only logical explanation.

#12 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7966 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm.

#13 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cosmic Sentinel said:

@Or35ti said:

DC have sent in saboteurs to wreck Marvel's film franchises. That's the only logical explanation.

Lol!! You may be right.
#14 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

lets trust marvel, hopefully the know what they are doing

#15 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Still didn't see captain america, iron man 2, thor, ghost rider 2, spider-man 3 and the avengers...they are making to much movie and to fast for me...

#16 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

Still didn't see captain america, iron man 2, thor, ghost rider 2, spider-man 3 and the avengers...they are making to much movie and to fast for me...

You need to leave the cave more often then bro

#17 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Last tme 2 directors filmed the same thing was Underworld: Awakening. And we all know how that turned out.....

If anything, I'd vote for the Cohen brothers to direct a Cap film. Sure they've never done a comic film in their lives, but they win awards every other year for worse. Make them earn their pay this time around.

#18 Posted by Owie (3966 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

If anything, I'd vote for the Cohen brothers to direct a Cap film. Sure they've never done a comic film in their lives, but they win awards every other year for worse. Make them earn their pay this time around.

That would be awesome. They do get a lot of auteur directors, I could see them at least trying to hire them for something.

#19 Posted by TheShame (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many cooks spoil the broth!

#20 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1184 posts) - - Show Bio

least its not brett ratner or gavin hood.

#21 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@wowylied said:

Theater are too expensive right now. 10 or more $ for 1h30 in a room full of people eating, speaking and using their phone ? No thank. I will wait to see them on TV.

#22 Posted by FIash (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a good feeling about this.

#23 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

@wowylied said:

This ^^

#24 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@wowylied said:

Theater are too expensive right now. 10 or more $ for 1h30 in a room full of people eating, speaking and using their phone ? No thank. I will wait to see them on TV.

Every one of those films with the exception of the avengers and gr 2 are out on dvd no need to go to a theater.

#25 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@jkoellner said:

I have a little bit of hope (not much). Hell, if the guy behind SWINGERS, MADE, and ELF did a good job with IRON MAN... maybe these guys can do a good job with CAP 2.

Was doubting this decision until reading this and remembering that Jon Favreau did comedies and such mostly before Iron Man. There is hope, still.

#26 Edited by WinterSoIdier (34 posts) - - Show Bio

"It's looking like Anthony and Joe Russo are in final negotiations to direct Captain America 2. The Russo brothers have directed the comedies You, Me and Dupree"

I know I'm jumping to conclusions but this sounds like Cap 2 will be a disaster.

#27 Posted by fabo_puertorican (19 posts) - - Show Bio

George Nolfi wrote The Bourne Ultimatum which was a VERY good movie... so let's see if he can sneak into the script in this one.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

I could care less to be honest, lol. Me giving this movie my money depends on only one things and that's Bucky.

#29 Posted by sentryman555 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

I could care less to be honest, lol. Me giving this movie my money depends on only one things and that's Bucky.

This! If Winter Soldier is not the plot of this movie we riot!

#30 Posted by nomadicxnightmare (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@wowylied said:

$10 or so is frankly well worth it for Avengers. And you can't expect to go to the theater without people munching popcorn or whispering to their buddy now and then. All part of the package. However, if you got that really annoying s.o.b. who won't shut up even after being asked, then do what I did at the midnight premiere: clock the guy right in the jaw! I got applauded by the whole theater after that stunt lol

Back on topic, I'll wait and see what happens. I'm a bit concerned about these guys adding too much humor to the next Cap movie, especially with the rumor of Winter Solider being introduced. It should be a lot grittier, focusing on the darker and more cynical aspects of comedy, if any. My 2 cents.

#31 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

@ReVamp said:

Agreed. WE SHALL RIOT. LOL.

#32 Posted by acomicbooklook (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally don't think they should go this route, if this turns into a comedy, it will probably bomb.

#33 Edited by acomicbooklook (63 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin: I agree, I think that he did at least good enough to be given the opportunity to direct this one as well.

#34 Posted by Video_Martian (5562 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's hope this movie doesn't suck...

#35 Posted by edtie97 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would make a good enemy for Captain America?

#36 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio
@pspin said:

My thoughts exactly, I was hoping he'd return to do the sequel.
#37 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti said:

me niether.

#38 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8092 posts) - - Show Bio

Please don't mess this up. =(. I like my Cap.

#39 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope these directors can be versatile!

#40 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@sentryman555 said:

@ReVamp said:

Agreed. WE SHALL RIOT. LOL.

I'LL BE ON THAT SHIZ <3

#41 Posted by shawn87 (2082 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if i like the idea of a having a directing duo known for comedy movies direct Captain America 2. I can already picture them trying to put an unnecessary amount of humor in a film that doesn't need it. 

My other concern would be is if they have any knowledge of Captain America or just comics in general. It wouldn't be a good idea to have someone direct a comic adaptation when they know nothing or next to nothing on the subject

#42 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

What the f#$C? Really? I don't know if I like the sound of this at all. You, Me, and Dupree, while a financial success was garbage, and Welcome to Collinwood was just terrible. Community MIGHT be a passable accolade...ah hell even that's not enough for me to get behind this. Alright if its these two, they BETTER not screw it up!

#43 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

2 directors? Gotta be Watchowsky brothers! Nyahahahahahaha!

#44 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

joh wehdon wasnt a good director imo and look what he did with avengers, it was amazing!

Marvel movies dont really need directors on james camerons calibur, marvel movies are ment to be more humours and relatable and action packed. so i think these guys might do good on their take on Cap, especially since now they have Cap in the present to work with. you know there will be alot of fun scenes of him trying to fit into the modern world. also dont forget next Cap movie SHOULD feature Winter Soldier. so hopefully its action packed and awesome.

DC movies on the other hand are movies that need GREAT directors like Nolan for batman to make their movies watchable, since DC has more serious characters. DC comics are always meant to have epic storylines. so WB always has to make sure to get top tier directors on their movies for alot of people to show interest. this is why Green lantern and superman flopped, but Batman(nolan) succeeded.

#45 Posted by Luthorcrow (178 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

@ReVamp said:

Nope, Winter Soldier is an example bad retcon bender Marvel has been in the last few years. It is right up there with staining Gwenn Stacy and Norman back from the dead and Red Hulk. Bucky died decades ago, live him buried and dead.

#46 Edited by sentryman555 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@Luthorcrow said:

@sentryman555 said:

@ReVamp said:

Nope, Winter Soldier is an example bad retcon bender Marvel has been in the last few years. It is right up there with staining Gwenn Stacy and Norman back from the dead and Red Hulk. Bucky died decades ago, live him buried and dead.

What!? I can't believe you'd compare bucky coming back to life to that debauchery of a storyline between Norman and Gwen Stacy. Honestly Winter Soldier got me to start reading Captain America and his new solo comic so far has been awesome! I'd want a Bucky solo movie as well!

#47 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote is for F. Gary Gray.

#48 Posted by k4tzm4n (34941 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, this is definitely an unorthodox choice. I'll hold off on any strong opinions until I hear these two dish out some of their ideas in interviews. That said, I'm relieved to see Joe Johnston isn't returning. I can't say I was the biggest fan of work with Captain America: The First Avenger (my least favorite Marvel Studios effort to date). I loved the first 40 minutes or so, but it all went downhill for me around the time of the montage. Captain America needs to make an impact emotionally and with standout action sequences. Unfortunately, it didn't deliver either for me.

Staff
#49 Posted by SmoothJammin (2350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nomadicxnightmare said:

@wowylied said:

@SmoothJammin said:

@wowylied said:

$10 or so is frankly well worth it for Avengers. And you can't expect to go to the theater without people munching popcorn or whispering to their buddy now and then. All part of the package. However, if you got that really annoying s.o.b. who won't shut up even after being asked, then do what I did at the midnight premiere: clock the guy right in the jaw! I got applauded by the whole theater after that stunt lol

Back on topic, I'll wait and see what happens. I'm a bit concerned about these guys adding too much humor to the next Cap movie, especially with the rumor of Winter Solider being introduced. It should be a lot grittier, focusing on the darker and more cynical aspects of comedy, if any. My 2 cents.

Wow great job! I won't lie, I'd have probably done the same..don't ruin my movie!!!! In any case, viewing a motion picture on the silver screen is a completely different experience than watching it privately, and @ home. If you want to have fun in almost anything you do as an adult, there's always a price to pay. Literally. I don't regret it, went on a double date with my friend and wound up getting the chicks # and now we hang out veryyyyy often but that's besides the point! You need to go see The Avengers rite now. Run muthafukka,..RUN.

#50 Posted by Vincie_Pooh (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on Winter Solider

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.