C2E2 2012: Mystery Art Challenge - Captain America and a...?

#1 Posted by Gscythe (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America & Pizza? A picture combining two of my favorite things!

#2 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't get more American than pizza. I can totally see Cap having a large platter of pepperoni! X^D

#3 Posted by DarthStorm (132 posts) - - Show Bio

Khary Randolph's is my favorite.

#4 Posted by nandizzle (63 posts) - - Show Bio

FUCK YEAH!!!

#5 Posted by Humanity (9 posts) - - Show Bio

That first guy - I mean it certainly hasn't held him back or anything but where do people learn to hold pens like that?

#6 Posted by cmaprice (818 posts) - - Show Bio
@Humanity said:

That first guy - I mean it certainly hasn't held him back or anything but where do people learn to hold pens like that?

That's how I hold my pen, but I also curve my hand in, like a left-handed person despite being right-handed.
*shrug* 
No one taught me how to hold a pen. It's just what felt most natural.
#7 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you do with all those sketch books full of the art challenges? Give them away to loyal fans as part of contests maybe?

#8 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (758 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna play along!!!

Here's mine:

#9 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine, that I gave up on, would have included a slice of Pizza in place of one of his wings on his head.

#10 Posted by kamionero (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I want pizza....REALLY bad.

#11 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick: actually pizza is from italy. more american would be the chilli dog.

#12 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like that there was a variety this time. Always neat to see and artist do their craft.

#13 Posted by Deadcool (6756 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony: Are you ready for the mystery art challenge?

Khary: I am not sure but go ahead.

Tony: Your mystery art challenge for today is Captain America... amd a Pizza...

Khary: ............................................................. Lets do it...

#14 Posted by popparox (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I can always count on Khary Randolph to put a big ol' smile on my face. Good challenge..

#15 Posted by jhazzroucher (16514 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was gonna be Captain America, Storm and Spider-man.

#16 Posted by Humanity (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmaprice: I always assumed everyone holds pens between index, middle finger and thumb and rarely saw people kinda "claw" writing utencils by putting the index finger over the thumb! Crazy world we live in!

#17 Posted by ProjektGill (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd Nauck always kills these challenges but Khary Randolph was a close second for me.

#18 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: Pizza was actually invented in Greece, but I think my point is still valid.

#19 Posted by KRYPTON (1868 posts) - - Show Bio

The MUSic WAS EPIC!!! AS Always

#20 Posted by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

You can't get more American than pizza. I can totally see Cap having a large platter of pepperoni! X^D

Pizza is actually an Italian dish...so probably yeah.

#21 Posted by Mandrewgora (299 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my favorite mystery art challenge. (till the next one)

#22 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

@KainScion: Pizza was actually invented in Greece, but I think my point is still valid.

WRONG! Nam was created in the middle east which is an early form of pizza. Pizza was created from nam.

#23 Posted by Sammo21 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it! I hope when I go to Dragon Con this year that I can get some sketches possibly.

#24 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

I always love these challenges! Its so fun to see how you give them the same challenge and everyone takes it so differently! i also find it amazing how they never seem to have to look at references, i know these are well known characters but i still dont know every detail and what not...

anyways...PIZZA, AMERICA...F@CK YEAH!

#25 Posted by MrMazz (1068 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my favorite part of the con videos

#26 Posted by feargalr (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

These are all good, I follow Todd Nauck on twitter, he always posts good pics, his art style is kinda... pointy.. I like it!

#27 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bestostero said:

I always love these challenges! Its so fun to see how you give them the same challenge and everyone takes it so differently! i also find it amazing how they never seem to have to look at references, i know these are well known characters but i still dont know every detail and what not...

anyways...PIZZA, AMERICA...F@CK YEAH!

Plus the fact that they don't get any prep time. I ask them nicely if they'll take the challenge but they have no idea who and what until the camera is rolling.

#28 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I wanna play along!!!

Here's mine:

YES!!!!!

Before we started filming, I told GMan the first person to draw Cap delivering pizza wins.... You win.

Staff
#29 Posted by GValo (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I would actually buy a print of Todd Nauck's drawing

#30 Posted by G-Man (18922 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll post scans of the sketches in Saturday's AWESOME ART PICKS article.

#31 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

@kamionero said:

Now I want pizza....REALLY bad.

Same here. Love the art challenges, especially because it lets you see just how quick-thinking comic artists are and how skillful they are at their craft. Seriously, their ability to just SEE what they want something to look like and draw it outright is astounding.

#32 Posted by StrikeHavok (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

For some reason Apple Pie comes to mind.

#33 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

Tony: Are you ready for the mystery art challenge?

Khary: I am not sure but go ahead.

Tony: Your mystery art challenge for today is Captain America... amd a Pizza...

Khary: ............................................................. Lets do it...

My favourite one was his :D

#34 Posted by CitizenJP (627 posts) - - Show Bio

That was amazing.

#35 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@StrikeHavok: THAT'S IT!! I was going nuts when I originally made that comment trying to think of some food that would've made more sense for Cap to like. Apple pie! Thank you!

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank GAWD I have only one day to wait until its pizza supper day for me. For me though I will have to admit..its a three way tie for me between Nauck, Nguyen and Randolph for the top spot.

#37 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

I always enjoy seeing artists in their creative mood. This is a fun video to watch.

#38 Posted by tamabone (120 posts) - - Show Bio

HEY!!!!       Captain America is from Brooklin!!!!!!!!           There is no way that a native New Yorker would EVER eat a Chicago pizza.  ALL New Yorkers know the ONLY good pizza in the world comes from NYC!!!!!

#39 Posted by erichr (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd Nauck always kills it, but Khary Randolph's was hilarious

#40 Posted by wilksbooth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i could watch these guys draw forever

#41 Posted by TheWalkingComicbookfan (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Just awesome....

#42 Posted by pingclang (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it, absolutely love it. Phil Hester stole my idea!

#43 Posted by GamerGeek360 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

I was surprised at how far in the video it got before someone drew the pizza as the shield. Good stuff! Loved all of them, to be honest.

#44 Posted by churrific (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the last one. Cap never seemed so happy eating a slice of pizza.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.