Brubaker's new style of writing on Captain America

#1 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

When Ed Brubaker started writing Captain America seven years ago, the comic had an espionage-noir feel to it, for lack of a better term.

Now that Steve Rogers is back in uniform in the new ongoing comic, Brubaker seems to have changed styles and is writing it as more of a traditional hero comic.

Are you enjoying the changes? I am not sure that I am. I might end up dropping it. I will still be picking up Winter Soldier in a few months.

EDIT: Of course I read the interview that Brubaker gave CBR immediately after asking my question.

"...there will be some good stuff for classic Cap fans, but it will still feel like my book: still basically a crime comic with a guy with a flag and a giant shield."

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@jsphsmth: I haven't really been reading much Cap since he got back the mantel. I LOVED Bucky Cap and Steve Rodgers: Super Solider though. I would think he's saving the espionage for Winter Solider.
#3 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: The new CA team-up book that replaces CA and Bucky and the CA ongoing are feeling like jumping off points for me. Guess I will only stick with Winter Soldier. Love the Brubaker/Guice creative team.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (80712 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker hasn't done me wrong yet; I'll be sticking with his latest work on Cap.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer espionage Cap, but I'm still fine with hero Cap.

Just like Daredevil. I prefer broody Daredevil, but I'm ok with what Waid's been doing with him too.

#6 Edited by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

Cullen Bunn's interview at CBR gives me hope for the Captain America team-up book.

"Steve is still shaken in the aftermath of "Fear Itself." He's finding it easier to be a little more hard-nosed in his approach to super heroics."

"In the next arc, Cap teams up with Iron Man. They head to Madripoor where they quickly find themselves in a situation that leans a little more toward the super-spy than the super-hero."

#7 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

In Bru we trust.

#8 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: So you don't notice a subtle change in the way Brubaker is writing either? If I am the only one, then I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

#9 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody else notice how the team up book is all the Avengers that are gonna be in the movie? Can we talk about oversaturation and marketing much?

#10 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Whisper_: Marvel is simply a R&D division of Disney now.

I don't think that Cullen Bunn had a choice on which characters to use for the first few arcs, but the names he listed as possible future arcs has me excited.

#11 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsphsmth said:

@fodigg: So you don't notice a subtle change in the way Brubaker is writing either? If I am the only one, then I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

I didn't notice a change, no. I could see where you're coming from but he's traditionally vacillated between hardcore crime and more superheroey stretches in his run. My comment was simply meant to convey "even if he does change, he's a good enough writer that I trust him."

#12 Posted by War Killer (19867 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I prefer espionage Cap

Agreed, I liked seeing him work alongside S.H.I.E.L.D. and battling international terrorist. If want to see heroes fighting street criminals then read Spider-Man or Batman, Cap shouldn't be dealing with low-level threats like that.

But then again, I guess Bucky's going to be taking over the espionage side for the Cap titles in Winter Soldier.

#13 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@jsphsmth said:

I didn't notice a change, no. I could see where you're coming from but he's traditionally vacillated between hardcore crime and more superheroey stretches in his run. My comment was simply meant to convey "even if he does change, he's a good enough writer that I trust him."

I noticed a change, even the art is reflecting it. Before the art and colors were dark and broody, now its full of bright colors and feels more super heroish.

#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: I guess that's why I'm not that upset about the writing change. As long as Bucky's still around and at least one of them is doing espionage work, I'm satisfied. Hopefully they'll be teaming up on some of those Black Ops missions, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.