An All-New Captain America Debuts This Fall

• 129 results
Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
Issue #25 by Stuart Immonen

After a fight with Iron Nail, Steve Rogers can no longer carry the Captain America shield. The effects of the super soldier serum have worn off and now Rogers is an old man. Announced on Marvel's website, CAPTAIN AMERICA #25 starts off this new journey for Steve Rogers and a new person inside the Captain America costume.

This isn't the first time something big has happened in a 25th issue of Cap though. Back in 2007, Steve Rogers was shot and killed at the epilogue of Civil War in issue #25. Now, Steve is just too weak and old to carry on. In an interview with Marvel, writer Rick Remender discusses where this leaves Steve Rogers:

Steve is in a spot where he’s still determined to serve, and he’s still determined to have a positive influence on the world around him. He wants to work to defend his nation and his world, but he’s left in a physical state of not being able to perform. The choices he has before him as to who he’s going to select as his replacement seem very simple at this point—it’s a short list—but we’re revealing a number of characters in #23 who’ve been gone for a while, that decision gets a little trickier. Steve hasn’t had a lot of time to concern himself with these things. Literally a day after the Iron Nail debacle when he lost the Super Soldier Serum and rapidly aged to the physical age he would have been had he never been frozen, he’s forced to make some hard decisions.

Others have taken the mantle before, like Bucky Barnes and John Walker, but it's always Steve who is the true Captain America. Marvel stated they will announce who it is in upcoming weeks, but for now, all fans have is the cover of issue #25. There is speculation to who will take over, but nothing confirmed as of now.

Stay tuned for more info on who will carry the shield.

Source: Marvel

Staff
#1 Edited by Eivion (87 posts) - - Show Bio

This would work so much more interesting if Marvel hadn't spoiled it with the Time Runs Out Avengers cover.

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is it? Ian, Sam Wilson?

#3 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Lee_Everett (100 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Wyldsong (5429 posts) - - Show Bio

Again...

#6 Posted by Bsaa (545 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just waiting for the reveal of the "100% more diverse" Captain America.

#7 Posted by Vitalius (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Marvel replacing all the old characters with new characters?

#8 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting

#9 Posted by Oscars94 (2475 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't all the heroes be their normal selves at the same time. Spider-man turned into SpOck, Wolverine lost his healing factor and now Cap lost his super soldier serum? Just once I'd like them all to be the characters they're meant to be ,fighting villains rather than each other.

#10 Posted by Winter_Kills (497 posts) - - Show Bio

This is so lame, like Remender's whole run has been. "And the new Cap is....drum roll please...Sam Wilson!" And not a single person was surprised that day. We've had the NEW Cap story before, and in a FAR superior way, with a FAR superior writer & with a FAR better candidate as the new Cap- Bucky Barnes.(No offense to Sam- he's a great character in his own right.) If Steve's down for whatever reason, there's only one other person I'll ever accept as or call Cap- & that's Bucky. Like I said before, wake me when Remender's run is over.

#11 Edited by sentryman555 (765 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be bucky

#12 Posted by Xwraith (17364 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever happened to the Rick Remender who wrote Uncanny X-Force?

#13 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing it'll be a grown up Ian. I haven't read last week's issue yet, so I don't know if there's any clues there, but we know Ian is still alive, and we know that time passes faster in Dimension Z. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to be an adult now.

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (11506 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be back by Avengers 2

#15 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18022 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel.....Dammit....

#16 Posted by jonnyh101 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm enjoying the ANMN Cap but the last few issues , like really it's taken so long for two story arch's and now already Captain America is getting a new identity? I really hope they pick up the pace of Captain America I don't want to wait two and a half months per issue.

#17 Posted by dontbelievethehyperion (50 posts) - - Show Bio

He just barely came back during Fear Itself 3 years ago and now they're replacing him again?

This is disappointing. I'd much rather a new creative team than a new Cap.

#18 Posted by WheatStalker (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the article title and thought a brand new series was incoming.

I don't even read the current series and this news makes me sad. Is it wrong to believe some lines should never be crossed with marquee characters ...

#19 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

So we know it will be Sam which is exciting, but since it will still be written by Rick Remender it will be a train wreck. I remember Remender in his first interviews about taking over Cap that he wanted to stay away from repeating Brubaker stories or being compared to him. But I guess seeing how that did not work and drove people away from the book. Seem he has changed his thinking now.

Can't wait till Cap gets a new writer.

#21 Posted by Ostyo (7495 posts) - - Show Bio

They'll be black.

#22 Posted by InkInk (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we get Remender off this book already? He has shown time and time again he can not write this character and is now relying on attempting to be controversial. Like with what happened in the last poorly written issue.

Here is an idea for Remender instead of ripping off Kirby or plagiarizing Brubaker stories. You leave the title and find something your constant cycle of grimdark, kill female character, use stereotyping and repeat works on?

#23 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2309 posts) - - Show Bio

1. We all know it's Falcoln who will take his place. This will show Marvels "diversity." Although a female cap would have been more appealing.

2. Steve Rogers will be back in the suit by Avengers: Age of Ultron. So this is all really a moot point.

3. Marvel, please stop replacing characters with other characters. If you want to be more diverse just give more black and female characters their own titles and stop "killing" off established characters.

#24 Posted by Farkam (4884 posts) - - Show Bio

1. We all know it's Falcoln who will take his place. This will show Marvels "diversity." Although a female cap would have been more appealing.

2. Steve Rogers will be back in the suit by Avengers: Age of Ultron. So this is all really a moot point.

3. Marvel, please stop replacing characters with other characters. If you want to be more diverse just give more black and female characters their own titles and stop "killing" off established characters.

lmao, how so?

#25 Posted by Winter_Kills (497 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkink said:

Can we get Remender off this book already? He has shown time and time again he can not write this character and is now relying on attempting to be controversial. Like with what happened in the last poorly written issue.

Here is an idea for Remender instead of ripping off Kirby or plagiarizing Brubaker stories. You leave the title and find something your constant cycle of grimdark, kill female character, use stereotyping and repeat works on?

Amen, brother, amen! Couldn't have said it better myself. Remender's whole rip-off run will historically go down as a minor footnote in Cap's history forever overshadowed by Brubaker's legendary, epic run.

It should be bucky

This, DEFINITELY.

@xwraith said:

He's lost somewhere in his own private Dimension Z.

#26 Posted by Mr_Colossus (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't been keeping up with this run, but is this going to effect Captain America across all of the comics? Or does this still have something to do with Dimension Z that I've read about? That would suck if he's gone from all the different comics because of what's happening in this series. I hope it's just limited to this run and not everything.

#27 Posted by CaptainHoopla (988 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: That Rick is writing Black Science, Deadly Class, and probably Low. Seriously, his creator owned books are outstanding. I haven't been a fan of this Cap run either.

#28 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull:

Marvel.....Dammit....

My thoughts exactly. Why Quesada hasn't been busted down from Editor-In-Chief back to artist I will never understand. That guy bugs the s**t out of me!

@dark_guyver:

Free Spirit or Shannon Carter. I could see it...

Your lips to God's ear, mon ami.

QFT.

#29 Posted by deadpool25mm (592 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye?

#30 Posted by angelalfonso (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

i know who the next cap will be... Dr Octopus... no wait, they already did that with spiderman and now Otto is dead.... maybe Frogman he is not doing anything

#31 Edited by PunyParker (9784 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Steve okay?.....

And i like Immonen's Spider-Man.

#32 Edited by movieartman (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

YOU GUYS ARE IGNORING THE MOST IMPORTANT PART THAT MAKES ALL THE OTHER DETAILS IRRELEVANT!

STUART IMMONEN IS ON INTERIOR ART FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/06/stuart-immonen-on-the-new-captain-america/

#33 Posted by Winter_Kills (497 posts) - - Show Bio

YOU GUYS ARE IGNORING THE MOST IMPORTANT PART THAT MAKES ALL THE OTHER DETAILS IRRELEVANT!

STUART IMMONEN IS ON INTERIOR ART FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/06/stuart-immonen-on-the-new-captain-america/

LOL As good as Immonen is, there's nothing he can do to save this run. I hate that he has the misfortune to be the artist under Remender's pointless run.

#34 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (13733 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6247 posts) - - Show Bio

House of ideas running out of ideas.

#36 Posted by PunyParker (9784 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (13733 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: No , let's just say his age is getting the best of him without actual saying what happen.

#38 Posted by New_World_Order (13042 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8122 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2309 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: well by your "lmao" remark it seems you'd rather be a smarta$$ about my comment instead of just having a conversation, so I don't think I'll explain myself to you.

#41 Posted by dondave (36562 posts) - - Show Bio

It better not be Falcon

#42 Posted by Teerack (5846 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Maddpanda531 (1085 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by New_World_Order (13042 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

It better not be Falcon

#45 Edited by Batman404 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe old Nick Fury will become young again and take the shield, and somehow his eye gets fixed.

#46 Posted by VanderSEXXX (690 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I'm asking the same thing actually. haha

#47 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

Ian or his older sister (jet black) nobody else has a history clean enough to have new stories.

#48 Posted by Astro_Zombie78 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really care. Cap's series have not been good since Brubaker's run. I think it should be Falcon, he deserves it.

#49 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read Cap but if it isn't Steve carrying the shield the only person who deserves to in my mind is Bucky. Steve looked up to Bucky when he was just a scrawny kid, and then Bucky looked up to Steve as Cap. They've both learned from and supported each other, and really it's the only one that does Steve's legacy justice. I know Bucky has been Cap before, but that should even further solidify why he should carry the mantle.

#50 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6651 posts) - - Show Bio

Two things I hate in comics - death and replacing or changing characters just for the sake of it or "diversity".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.