616 Captain America or Ultimate Captain America?

#1 Posted by PsychoJack (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Which one do you prefer?

I like both and I think Ultimate Cap is more badass than the original but the original is usually the best one.

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

616 by a landslide

#3 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Just from what I've read of each, I prefer Ultimate Cap. That being said, most of the 616 Cap that I have read is older material, which sometimes means the stories are a bit cornier than the ones currently being told. I do like some of the 616 stories that Mark Waid wrote in the 90s, and there are a few other Cap stories from the late 80s early 90s from when Gruenwald was writing that I really like, as well as various Avengers stories that feature Cap.

However, most of the Ultimate Cap that I've read is from Mark Millar's stint on the books, and those two stories (Ultimates and Ultimates 2) are the best Avengers stories that I have read thus far, and Ultimate Cap is a big part of why I love those two books.

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

616 by a landslide

Same here.

#5 Posted by DarkxSeraph (672 posts) - - Show Bio

1610. Ultimate Cap is pretty BA.

I like 616 Cap just fine.. but man... does Ultimate Cap kick some behind.

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Cap is the best Cap by virtue of being far more likable. 

#7 Posted by War Killer (20375 posts) - - Show Bio
 Earth-616 Cap
#8 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Earth-616 Cap

Agreed. The only ultimate character that I like more the his/her 616 counter part is Hawkeye.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

616 for sure.

#10 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Captain America is pretty cool, but for me it kinda ruined one of the best things about cap.

one of the things that makes him so cool,

is that he isn't super human, and has to use is brains and experiance, rather then his brawn like most other heroes.

#11 Posted by krauser99 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

Main Stream Cap is pretty much the word "Super" in comparison to regular folks.(Unless compared to higher up the chain characters like Namor/Superman etc etc.) But even being a Super Soldier doesn't take away his character, brains, experience, and his will.

#12 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@krauser99: i'm sorry. what i meant was he has to rely on his experiance and brains more then most characters, like Thor, Superman..ect.

not to say that Superman or Thor don't use there brains.

for me anyway it makes the character seem more real, then when they can lift over millions of tons.

it just get ridiculous. but thats just my opinion.

#13 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

@Battle_Forum_Junkie said:

@krauser99: i'm sorry. what i meant was he has to rely on his experiance and brains more then most characters, like Thor, Superman..ect.

not to say that Superman or Thor don't use there brains.

for me anyway it makes the character seem more real, then when they can lift over millions of tons.

it just get ridiculous. but thats just my opinion.

I meant that Superman and Thor could lift that much not ultimate cap, sorry.

#14 Posted by team__londyn (7 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Cap seems more mature to me. Ultimate Cap is BA though, I think Chris Evan reminded me more of Ultimate Cap than mainstream Cap, Anyways 616 for sure!

#15 Edited by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

616, Ultimate Universe gives me a weird vibe.

#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2663 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoJack said:

Which one do you prefer?

I like both and I think Ultimate Cap is more badass than the original but the original is usually the best one.

This is a rhetorical question right? 616 Cap is a great hero, leader, and is the moral center of the Marvel universe in many ways. Ultimate Cap is nothing but a jerk who you can basically sum with this statement

"STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER!!! OTHER COUNTRIES CAN SUCK IT!"

Sure Ultimate Cap has 616 Cap beat in the powers department, but that's where it begins and ends

#17 Posted by justin_blank (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate. For one he looks much better and more practical. And I understand that ultimate cap is stronger, but I feel there's more to it than that. Ultimate Captain America actually goes in and fights the villains, even when they're more powerful than him. When it comes to 616 Cap, during Avengers battles he seems to stand on the sidelines giving orders, or throwing his shield/blocking with his shield. He doesn't see to pull the weight that ultimate cap does in a battle. I really wish Ultimate Cap would get a solo title, it'd also be cool to see more of his WWII-era adventures.

#18 Posted by Kyzuko (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Ultimate Cap was responsible for Peter's death.

If that's true, not coo :(

#19 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Cap, because Brubaker.

#20 Posted by tg1982 (2717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

616 by a landslide

I second this.

616 Captain America is by far the best Captain America. Just my opinion, though.

#21 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both, 616 Cap is more boyscoutish, 1610 Cap is hardcore, 616 Cap is more inspirational than 1610 Cap.When it comes to strength the 1610 Cap is stronger. I think I'm gonna go with Captain America on this one,lol! I really can't choose here.

#22 Posted by Dodobot (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't choose. They are both great in their own way.

#23 Edited by w0nd (3904 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyzuko said:

I heard Ultimate Cap was responsible for Peter's death.

If that's true, not coo :(

no peter was responsible for his own death technically, cap was the one who objected to him being spider-man

#24 Posted by spidermanandsuperman (283 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Damned_Amazon01 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Captain America is pretty cool, but for me it kinda ruined one of the best things about cap.

That.

Certainly 616 Captain America.

I hear people saying that they prefer the ultimate Cap because he's more "badass", but this is not the point of Captain America in the first place. Captain America was never meant to be a "badass" character. If you want badassness, there are many others. Captain America was created to be a man that always stands for his beliefs, for freedom and for all the people. First of all, he is a good man. And after that goes everything else.

#26 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely 616.

#27 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I bounce back and forth between both. Right now, I'm on more of a Ultimate Cap stint, for instance.

But overall, 616-Cap is still my preferred overall. Ultimate Cap has so many awesome moments, a badass personality, and a cool updated look - but 616-Cap is still the better Captain to me. He's strong yet noble, the leader of the MU's superhero community, and he represents not only the American Dream - but anyone who has ever felt pride for their own country to me. He's the original, and still the best!

#28 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15121 posts) - - Show Bio

I am ignorant in both but just because of this I like Ultimate Cap more.

#29 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Ult Cap ftw!

#30 Edited by knightofthechronicle (710 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap that's funny!

#31 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

because of that I hate Ultimate cap.

#32 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

No question. No doubt.

#33 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked Ultimate Cap more than 616 Cap, but I respect 616 Cap more.

#34 Edited by SlimJ87D (10557 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them both. I like 616 Cap because he's the original and a great leader. I admire his honorability. I like Ultimate Captain America's bad ass attitude and feats. I like how he's not a clone of the 616 version and has a different personality in some areas but he's still Cap in other areas.

#35 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

I like 1610 Cap's powers better, 616 Cap better in everything else.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (25522 posts) - - Show Bio

The one that's not a douche. Matter of fact, the only Ultimate counter part who I like more than their 616 version is Peter Parker.

#37 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie. Ultimate Cap is more badass, I mean he became president, but 616 was the original

#38 Edited by FanboyAsylum (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie. Ultimate Cap is more badass, I mean he became president, but 616 was the original

Well, they asked 616 Cap if he wanted to be the president multiple times, he just keeps telling them no.

#39 Posted by Saint_Sophie (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

616 Cap is the best Cap by virtue of being far more likable.

#40 Posted by DRDOOMSDAY390 (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Cap he more badass and stronger, im sorry original or not 616 captain america is geting boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.