5 New Details Revealed in the Final Captain America Trailer

• 68 results
Posted by G-Man (34330 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a new full Captain America: The First Avenger trailer. We are all giddy with anticipation. Opening in theaters on July 22, the Joe Johnston directed film stars Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Dominic Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci and Samuel L. Jackson.

The trailer doesn't have a lot of new footage but there is some that is definitely worth looking at.

Rather than break the trailer down scene by scene, let's look the top five new details this trailer reveals.

== TEASER ==

Grenade!

When little Stevie Rogers finally finds a recruitment center willing to allow him to enlist, we see the defining moment that singles him out as the first (and only) true candidate for the Super Soldier Serum. Col. Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) throws a grenade out in the middle of training. As everyone scatters, it's Rogers that leaps towards it, jumping on top in the hopes of lessening the explosion. This showed his courage and willingness to sacrifice himself for others. In other words, it showed he was a hero.

HYDRA the Science Division

Why is HYDRA in the movie and not Nazis? We know that HYDRA is supposed to be part of, or working with the Nazis. What we find out is HYDRA is a deep science division led by Johann Schmidt, aka the Red Skull.

The Cosmic Cube

If you saw the footage from San Diego Comic-Con last year and if you saw THOR, you know the Cosmic Cube plays a part of this movie. In this trailer we see someone, presumedly the Red Skull in possession of the Cosmic Cube and using it. How could Red Skull possibly lose against Captain America and the United States if he has the Cosmic Cube? Just like he did every single time he tried using it in the comics.

Howard Stark

From the early trailers, we knew that Howard Stark, father to Tony Stark, was in the movie and pulled the switch that converts Steve into Captain America. In Iron Man 2, we also saw that Howard had some sort of prototype shield. Here we see that he does more that just flip a switch. We see him along with several other Top Men (and Agent Carter) as well as being part of designing Cap's costume.

The End of Captain America?

In the comics, Captain America tries stopping a bomb. The bomb was attached to a drone plane in some tellings of Cap's origin. This is where Cap falls into the Atlantic Ocean and ends up getting frozen while Bucky seemingly dies in the explosion. Towards the end of the trailer, we see what appears to be a bomb dropping and, it's a little hard to tell, but it looks like there could be someone on top. Could this be the final moments of Cap in the World War II era?

Is there anything else we missed? There's some debate over how well this movie will do compared to Thor, Green Lantern and X-Men: First Class. Has your anticipation grown since watching the trailer? If you haven't seen it, check it out on our video page.

Staff
#1 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually really excited about this movie after the new trailer. Looks well executed and ready for theaters.

#2 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait to see this movie. 

#3 Edited by Danial79 (2351 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been excited for this film since the announcement, but this new trailer has just amped that :)

Also, I'm a sucker for self-sacrifice, so that grenade scene made me well up (much like I did in Spider-Man 2 when he stops the train).

#4 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

this trailer pumps me up.

Using the grenade scene is genius on their parts to get the point across quick, I like it :)

#5 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

I've been excited for this film since the announcement, but this new trailer has just amped that :)

Also, I'm a sucker for self-sacrifice, so that grenade scene made me well up (much like I did in Spider-Man 2 when he stops the train).

Felt the same way, on both accounts. x]

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12781 posts) - - Show Bio

HUGE SPOILER

I think this movie will end with Cap frozen in Ice    : )

#7 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Captiam 'Merica is goona kick ass!
#8 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO Green Lantern? Really? lol

#9 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
 HUGE SPOILER I think this movie will end with Cap frozen in Ice    : )
I think there will be a seen after the movie with Fury discovering Cap in the ice, setting up for the Avengers(kinda like the Ultimate Avengers movie)
#10 Posted by cattlebattle (12781 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89 said:
@cattlebattle said:
I think there will be a seen after the movie with Fury discovering Cap in the ice, setting up for the Avengers(kinda like the Ultimate Avengers movie)
I hope not, it's already happened in The Ultimates and The Ult. Avengers movie which was based off of it
Wheres the originality??
#11 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope this is better than Thor.  
Thor was just a mess.  
I really hope they dont try to stuff too much into the movie.  Marvel has been having a habit of doing that.
#12 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@biggkeem89 said:
@cattlebattle said:
I hope not, it's already happened in The Ultimates and The Ult. Avengers movie which was based off of itWheres the originality??
But you have to remember: These movies are for the general public. Most people who haven't seen the comics would not make the connection. Fury finding Cap in the ice may not be the most original premise to set up for the Avengers, but it would be the most logical and build the most anticipation for the movie going public
#13 Posted by keith71_98 (387 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed EACH summer comics movie so far. Cap is one of my favorite characters so I REALLY hope they do thi swell.
#14 Posted by Everyman011 (231 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89: In the book version of the Incredible Hulk movie it was the cut out scene where Bruce Banner attempts to kill himself in the ice in Antarctica, and Hulk taking over then breaking a lot of ice.... this is what unearthed Capt. America. If you watch the deleted scene on the Hulk movie and slow it down, you can almost see a body frozen in the ice. they didn't keep it for the movie but it remains to be seen if this is how they will tie Capt into the avengers. the comics had them find them on an outing... so it could work.
#15 Posted by Omertalvendetta (395 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally doubt they will freeze Cap.  I think he will just age slowly due to the Serum because frankly, the mass populace wouldn't buy the freezing in ice to preserve him...

#16 Posted by Nocall (32 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@biggkeem89 said:
@cattlebattle said:
I hope not, it's already happened in The Ultimates and The Ult. Avengers movie which was based off of itWheres the originality??
Hollywood has a track record of making some pretty bizarre changes to comic book elements, most of them for the worst (*cough* galactus *cough* deadpool). With that in mind, I hope they do ice the Cap instead of make up some new bizarre way for him to end up in the present time.
#17 Posted by cattlebattle (12781 posts) - - Show Bio
@omertalvendetta said:
I personally doubt they will freeze Cap.  I think he will just age slowly due to the Serum because frankly, the mass populace wouldn't buy the freezing in ice to preserve him...
that would be........I don't know.....weird?  blasphemy??  original??

I wouldn't know how to react honestly
#18 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio
@Everyman011
Yeah, I saw that. So the whole "ice discovery" looks to be the direction they're going in. Plus, it would tie the movies together.
#19 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie looks pretty good so far from the trailers. I'm thinking it'll be on par with "Iron Man." 

And as for Chris Evans....I buy him as Cap. I do. Marvel used the trailers and sold me on him....hope you're taking notes, DC.

#20 Edited by G-Man (34330 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...

...there's already been spy pics of Chris Evans and Sam Jackson filming in New York City. After the trailer scene? It looked like it was in modern times. Doubt it was for The Avengers. Think the pics came out before they started filming Avengers. I posted a pic here.

Staff
#21 Posted by BlackRoseTessa (59 posts) - - Show Bio

this so looks teh best comic film this summer
#22 Posted by cattlebattle (12781 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

Well...

...there's already been spy pics of Chris Evans and Sam Jackson filming in New York City. After the trailer scene? It looked like it was in modern times. Doubt it was for The Avengers. Think the pics came out before they started filming Avengers. I posted a pic here.

Isn't Nick Fury around in this film (in the 1940s), I mean as a young man? It's possible that he has his retarded aging deal in the films but still I doubt he'd look the same in the 40's, but what the hell, he's Sam Jackson
#23 Edited by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope we get to see some frikkin' Nazis though. Or at the very least Adolf Hitler. :P

It's a World War 2 picture involving Cap, it's gotta have Nazis in it.

#24 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing...
#25 Posted by robokungfu (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless this movie shows Cap deck Hitler this movie will utterly FAIL me. I liked the first trailer better. For some reason I don't think TOOL when I see a 1940's period movie. 

#26 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else notice that his t-shirt in one scene looks like his "super soldier/secret avenger" uniform? 

for comparison
wrinkly but visible 
#27 Posted by bornstar (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems good to watch

#28 Posted by Migz13 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the new trailer is awesome and pretty much hit the right spots as far as  making a good trailer. It let's slip of his origin, his allies, the baddies and all that action we're gonna get a month later.

#29 Posted by TransgressionsofSociety (195 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#30 Posted by UnosInfinitos (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler alert
He becomes the human torch :p

#31 Posted by Emperormeister734 (814 posts) - - Show Bio

the Cap is here

#32 Posted by cincyducksfan35 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I never noticed the triangular shield until this trailer, guess I just missed it before

#33 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: I believe that is either his father or grandfather. Considering they are melding the movies and ultimate line together and in the Ultimate line, as far as I know, there was never an infinity formula, so Fury ages just like everyone else.
#34 Posted by Hizang (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed Thor and X-Men First Class, this also looks to be a great movie, but we all know the best Marvel movie will be the most interesting one.

#35 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll get iced.  Why wouldn't they.  That's one thing you know that they will stick to the comics with. 
#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Man that looks great. Even more stoked for the movie now than I once was!

#37 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else close to bailing on Comic Book-based films? I don't hold to any dogma, but the X-men first class seemed to be written for a much younger audience, the GL was just poorly spliced, and Dark Knight while good, should have featured only the Joker.

#38 Edited by EganTheVile1 (6203 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to sadly bomb due to the reason every movie is bombing this summer, the economy, I can not personally justify spending 10 bucks on something that is not mine to keep or gets me hammered so I can forget my woes for a night 
That said I really hope I find myself with the extra ten bucks to go see it, I think it looks really well done, and at very least will be in my DVD collection in the future

#39 Posted by fitchy101 (205 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpidermanWins said:
I'm actually really excited about this movie after the new trailer. Looks well executed and ready for theaters.
I agree...
#40 Posted by Icemizer (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Hydra is in the movie instead of Nazis because the studio does not want to lose the European money especially the German money from the films take.
#41 Posted by Grandmaster_Fro (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope this movie is better then Green Lantern

#42 Posted by ThomasElliot (362 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is... I was stoked for Thor and GL, and thought Xmen and Captain A looked a little lackluster. 

Thor was so good (to me, anyway) that it got me excited about Captain A. 
Xmen got so much freaking hype, I couldn't help but go see it and was totally surprised at how good it was (despite the horrible movie-continuity errors that if i even vaguely think about makes my brain melt). 

Then GL and... ok.  GL is the 'Transformers 2' or 'Iron Man 2' of DC movies.  I like it for the characters I love, but can't say I love that movie. 

But because of Thor and Xmen, I have done a complete 180 on Captain A and look forward to it.   

However, I think after GL and Transformers 3 are out, the general audience is going to be so jaded by bad comic book/cartoon movies that Captain A might suffer.  If Marvel was really on their game, they would have dropped Captain A a month after Thor while  Thor was still hot... and not allow a 2 -3 incubation period where people can get turned off.  Not just Captain A either, Cowboys Vs Alien, et al. are going to suffer.   The next huge movie is really going to be Harry Potter, as much as I dislike Harry Potter, it can't be denied.

#43 Posted by ThomasElliot (362 posts) - - Show Bio
@omertalvendetta:  

you do realize there's an alternate opening to the last Hulk movie that shows Captain America frozen in ice, right? 

My theory is that since this involves the cosmic cube, they will say the cube helped preserve Captain A.  Remember, Fury HAS the cube at the end of Thor... one can presume they found Captain A and the cube together.
#44 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap! said:
Amazing...
#45 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@omertalvendetta said:

Right.. they only belive robots from the future that will wipe out mankind.. or aliens.. or some guy with a hammer thats a gawd that  sent to earth.. or some guy who grows big from radiation when hes upset.. or some guy who builds a armored suit to escape terrorists. 

I mean realy its not like they would belive some boy with a scar on his head is a wizard ,in a wizard school.Movies like this obviously dont make money... 

In all seriousness tho it probly involve the cosmic cub part to explain the deep cryo freeze caps gets .But a ww2 movie with no nazi well ya that goes bit far.One imho never underestamate the depth of disbelief for entertainment we the public are capable of.You could only look at politics to see people ,as a whole will hold a high degree of disbelief .Entertainment sets a lower bar .
#46 Posted by danhimself (22553 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought you would have pointed out his original shield

#47 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: NICE! REDACTED!!!!!! but i still am not interested in these films. something about the word "disney" frightens me
#48 Posted by lucafon18 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

just to point out if you look at the cosmic cube pic, you can see the 9 realms
Thor reference :)

#49 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been a great year for comic book fans. Thor was amazing, X-men first class was the biggest surprise of all, and while Green Lantern got a bad rap, it was still an amazingly awesome movie. This looks just as good if not better than all the other movies, I cannot wait to see it. Ryan Reynolds and Chris Evans, always liked them both and glad they got to be a part of awesome movies.

#50 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2245 posts) - - Show Bio
Headshot 2
Hydra agents look like Paladin

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.