'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Will Be "Political Thriller," Says Feige

• 64 results
#51 Posted by HushoftheWind (995 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpitfireINK:Well, i guess we were watching different movies, b/c im pretty damn sure that Bourne series (especially Ultimatum) were sporting some political undertones. Hell Ultimatum could be blueprint for CA: Winter Soldier movie.

#52 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds promising. If it's anything like Ed Brubaker's run + Bourne Trilogy, there could be some potential to inject modernity into the character. While the first movie was a fun period piece, I'd definitely wanna see Cap enter the 21st century with a more serious tone (seeing as how this seems to be Phase 2's plan? IM3 seems to support this...)

On the other hand, I don't want this to be Syriana. At the end of the day, it's still a superhero movie, not a political one. I don't want to watch 120 minutes of Cap and Fury debating domestic policy and U.S.-Middle-East relations.

But I think that the largest problem with making Cap a 'political thriller' is the costume. Gonna be hard to fit the red, white, and blue in a more grounded plot...

#53 Posted by ThePRez (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: Anthony Mackie is gonna be the falcon

#54 Edited by Jonny_Rogers (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Whilst I have little interest in the majority of Marvel films, I do think 2 per year is a little excessive. 

This may be entirely due to being a DC fan, but the reason why I prefer their films (regardless of how good or bad they are) is because they are fewer and far between. This may sound stupid, but I feel like I DESERVE to watch them, after waiting a year or two to do so... it really annoys me that Marvel is destroying the enjoyment factor of patience for the entire industry. 

I accept that Green Lantern was pretty awful, but the reason why it remains one of my favourite comic-book films is because I knew that it was a one-off opportunity, and one that fans had the chance to wait for in anticipation... even if that anticipation is better than the result.

#55 Posted by dontbelievethehyperion (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Good or bad, I'll go see it. I like seein' Cap on the big screen

#56 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4806 posts) - - Show Bio
"There's an opportunity to graft almost sub-genres onto them."... ^That^ is exactly what I always thought about, when people say it's just a fad.... Ps: I am definitely watching this movie just for Winter Soldier & Crossbones. (+)
#57 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh joy, politics.

#58 Posted by AmazingWebHead (2485 posts) - - Show Bio

Not often you can tell so much about the movie by the title alone.

#59 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

They better not eff it up. If you're going to do a Captain America/Winter Soldier movie, you better talk to Brubaker.

#60 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Political thriller just means to me that they are going to make this a bit more multidimensional and thus give us all the more reason to be entertained. I say, is it 2014 yet?

#61 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

captain america 3- bucky as cap

#62 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6910 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for this movie.

#63 Posted by mrtrickster (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel movies are becoming more and more of a ponzi scheme

#64 Posted by DeVianThaI (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and an unknown one (possibly Daredevil, Black Panther, or Doctor Strange...could be even The Wolverine, but doubt it) are the movies that are setting up Avengers 2. Ant-man is going to start phase 3 at the end of 2015.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.