'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Will Be "Political Thriller," Says Feige

• 64 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The success of The Avengers movie last summer was the proof that Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige needed to launch sequels to Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. Many of these films are well on their way to theaters (Iron Man 3 hits May 3rd across theaters in North America), or like Thor: The Dark World, already in post-production. But what about Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the sequel to the first film starring Chris Evans? Marvel Studios head recently revealed what he has in store for the next film (as well as other Marvel Studios projects in general). While Captain America: The First Avenger was a film set during World War II, the sequel will, according to Feige, be a "political thriller." The producer and head of Marvel Studios also discussed the fact that he does not believe that the superhero movie genre is just a "fad."

"If it is a fad, it's one that lasts 30 to 40 years, as the Western did, because each one is so different...There's an opportunity to graft almost sub-genres onto them. Our first Captain America film was a World War II picture, and the next is a political thriller. They all have their own textures and patinas, and that's what is exciting about it."

To go from a film set in World War II to the present day will definitely be interesting, but it is something we already saw a little bit of in last Summer's The Avengers movie. In it, we witnessed Chris Evans' character Steve Rogers embrace the role of leadership and lead the Avengers team in a fight with cosmic adversaries, so it will be good to see the character evolve as a leader in his next movie.

== TEASER ==

The goal for Marvel Studios at present is to release another six films: two each year. Not only is that a tall order, but it also means that superheroes will be absolutely everywhere. According to Feige, Marvel Studios is working on all seven Marvel pictures. Whether they are in pre-production, post-production or the scripting phase, Feige is actively thinking about how best to elaborate on the stories of many of these characters and how best to adapt them to the big screen as "rich, three-dimensional characters."

How will they develop Captain America: The Winter Soldier as a political thriller, and does that mean the sequel to the first film will take on a more serious tone? That remains to be seen. What direction do you think the story will take? Are you looking forward to Captain America: The Winter Soldier?

Source: Variety

#1 Posted by Overlander (541 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the sound of "Political Thriller"

#2 Posted by Nefilim927 (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Anxious to see what Falcon's costume looks like

#3 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3354 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it sounds good can't wait, I didn't like the first one too much I thought it was good but it could've been better. I have high hopes for the sequel.

#4 Posted by dreamfall31 (573 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's anything reminicent of Brubaker's espionage-esque run, I'm down with that!

#5 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds interesting

the thing that really got me was the two movies a year thing.

does that mean there will be a second movie in 2015, before or after the Avengers?

#6 Posted by Om4zd (924 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure what they mean by Political thriller.

Like The Ides of March? Syriana? Swing Vote?

Like the above but with Superheroes in the Marvel U?

#7 Posted by regrivett (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope they know of to market a superhero political thriller. It has the potential to be awesome or totally suck.

#8 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for this, especially now.

#9 Posted by judasnixon (6667 posts) - - Show Bio

Could be worse, it could have Michael Bay and Megan Fox attached to the film.....

#10 Posted by odysseyuwrf (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes me more excited than if it was going to be just another superhero, action, Cap-flingin-his-shield-everywhere, film.

#11 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm......

#12 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overlander said:

I like the sound of "Political Thriller"

Me too. Maybe it'll touch on idealism and such

#13 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy:

I think Ant-Man is also set for 2015.

#14 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, I hope it's not going to be too political. I don't want politics in my films. I watch for awesome and fun. But then, I don't like the whole bring Bucky back from the dead thing, so it's getting harder to keep an open mind whether I'll like this. I want to! Chris Evans rules!!

#15 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of all the sequels I am excited for this one the most! The first Captain America was the best of the individual movies!

#16 Posted by Ren_ (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33953 posts) - - Show Bio

@Om4zd said:

Have you ever seen the The Manchurian Candidate?

#18 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22229 posts) - - Show Bio

@mattwing87 said:

Out of all the sequels I am excited for this one the most! The first Captain America was the best of the individual movies!

this

#19 Edited by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Ant-Man is slated to release later in the yea of avengers 2 to start wave 3.

#20 Posted by DaltonMunnal (166 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange.

I count seven.

#21 Posted by bloggerboy (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

If it's anything reminicent of Brubaker's espionage-esque run, I'm down with that!

Agreed!

#22 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

There's certainly precedent for the success of a political thriller - see Jack Ryan et al surrounding his on screen adventures. Clancy has made a living creating such things. It's not a stretch to use someone like Cap to provide a provocative story-line involving international intrigue. I'll be curious to see if it will be contemporaneously themed or something closer to the 80's Reagan America before the wall fell. We'll see.

#23 Posted by Crackdown (605 posts) - - Show Bio

So what other movie is coming out in 2014, Guardians?

#24 Posted by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Politics and thrill are two words I don't see going together.

#25 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Politics...

Hmmm...

#26 Posted by Mucklefluga (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

It was so awesome when Cap took charge and became a leader in some parts of Avengers. Loved it!

#27 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56 said:

There's certainly precedent for the success of a political thriller - see Jack Ryan et al surrounding his on screen adventures. Clancy has made a living creating such things. It's not a stretch to use someone like Cap to provide a provocative story-line involving international intrigue. I'll be curious to see if it will be contemporaneously themed or something closer to the 80's Reagan America before the wall fell. We'll see.

You, sir, are one of the few in this thread with any gray matter in the brain bucket.

#28 Posted by Teerack (7083 posts) - - Show Bio

Like argo....

#29 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman: Yeah, but it's not the same director. That means a lot.

#30 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

#31 Posted by ThePRez (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefilim927 said:

Anxious to see what Falcon's costume looks like

maybe like this

#32 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by TheHeat (452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Om4zd said:

Manchurian Candidate was an AWFUL movie.
#34 Posted by _Zombie_ (10457 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#35 Posted by Leewan (7 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is any question who the surprise villain is in this political thriller, check to see what characters in government are republican or democrat.

#36 Posted by dondave (38560 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThePRez:Are they seriously putting Falcon in the movie?

#37 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@shackle: Many thanks sir - though the older I get, the less it really seems.

#38 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheHeat said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Om4zd said:

Manchurian Candidate was an AWFUL movie.

I'll overlook the fact that you may be speaking of the newest and greatest Hollywood remake and instead link you this; http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1013227-manchurian_candidate/. If you haven't seen the Original - I'd encourage it. If you're still speaking negatively of it after having seen it - then there's little left to discuss.

#39 Posted by Gotham331 (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have much faith in marvels attempt at a political thriller, but we'll see

#40 Posted by weenman1 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grey56: Angela Lansbury: one of the greatest villains in all of Cinema!

#41 Posted by TorontRayne (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good to me. I love political thrillers. One with superheroes is just icing on the cake.

#42 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

so pretty much its the Bourne Identity but with Captain America. I can get behind that.

#43 Edited by Novemberx2 (464 posts) - - Show Bio

Political Thriller Ha more likely to a generic action film like the first one. probably feature captain america going into space to market the GOG in some stupid way

#44 Posted by Loki2u (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Marvel is dipping into DC's idea box about making their movies more realistic in their approach?

In any event, I could handle a political thriller with the Cap'n.

#45 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I may be slow but anyone care to explain the meaning of the words "Political Thriller"?

#46 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm..... Totally ok with this. If you're going to make a modern-day Captain America movie, that's exactly how you do it. Way to go, writers at Marvel/Disney.

#47 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@weenman1: Ha - I was walking out to the truck when I read your post. Laughed out loud and got an odd look from one of the folks passing by.

#48 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@HushoftheWind: Hopefully far better than the uninspiring Bourne movies - Actually come to think of it - were the Bourne movies political thrillers? -- I think very much -- NO!

#49 Posted by iancoderre3 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

He's going to fight some one that has "Diplomatic Immunity". And he is going to be like "It's just been revoked".

#50 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31: Agreed. Brubaker's work on Cap made me a fan of the character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.