'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Teaser Poster

Posted by k4tzm4n (36465 posts) - - Show Bio

Disney and Marvel Studios has released a nice little teaser poster for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Cap's shield has certainly seen better days. The teaser is simple yet effective, providing us with a look at Rogers' shield with a majority of the paint peeled off. Seeing as this film will include the likes of Crossbones AND Batroc, we're sure Rogers will end up just about as battered as his shield is. Check it out below.

Viners, does this boost your excitement for the film? Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, Captain America: The Winter Soldier will hit theaters April 4, 2014.

We'll be sure to have more coverage of the film and Thor: The Dark World when we attend San Diego Comic-Con next week!

Staff Online
#1 Posted by MuyJingo (1572 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't look like red paint is coming off, rather it looks like metal is corroding revealing the red underneath -- which doesn't make any sense.

#2 Posted by thatthomclancy (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Yeah, they definitely got some highlights and lowlights swapped in there.

#3 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Agreed

I am super excited because Winter Soldier is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel Universe and I think Captain America was my favorite Marvel movie along with the Avengers.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Well, it depends on how you look at it.

#5 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

i cant wait for this movie. when Brubaker brought back Bucky i was stoked but could have never guessed how cool the character could be. when they first cast Bucky for the Cap movie the only thing i cold think about was Winter Soldier. lookin forward to this movie more then my graduation!

#6 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo:

If the metal was corroding (which it can't) then the entire shield would be corroding as opposed to just the red sections.

#7 Edited by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

AMERICA F--- YA!!!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by Mark_Rojas_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

its more about the symbolism of those marks and deterioration than the actual look of it, remember this is just a teaser in time for Comic-Con.

#9 Posted by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have put blood on it. Dripping over the star in the middle.

#10 Edited by MuyJingo (1572 posts) - - Show Bio
@awesam said:

@muyjingo: Well, it depends on how you look at it.

How?

@pwok21 said:

@muyjingo:

If the metal was corroding (which it can't) then the entire shield would be corroding as opposed to just the red sections.

I know the metal can't corrode, that's why I said it doesn't make sense. Yet the red is clearly underneath the metal

#11 Posted by ccraft (5076 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie should be good, can't wait

Online
#12 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo: Now that I look closer, it does... Symbolism, perhaps? Maybe they just didn't pay much attention to detail.

#13 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:

I know the metal can't corrode, that's why I said it doesn't make sense. Yet the red is clearly underneath the metal

Think about the main opposition of the movie: The Winter Soldier, Bucky Barnes, who was subjected to brainwashing and reprogramming, all remnants of the man who was Captain America's best friend buried beneath a cold assassin with a steel arm.

Presumably, this movie will be about Cap will slowly getting through to him, trying to break his programming, the cracks in the Winter Soldier persona showing and Bucky beginning to come back. Can you see why the bold red of Cap being beneath the steel might be intentional?

#14 Posted by Gotham331 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's better than IM3

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (81682 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like a cool poster.

This is one sequel that should top the original movie.

#16 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

It does boost my excitement. I am guessing his costume change in this movie and the shield on the poster are signs pointing to the whole Captain America looses faith in the Government he works for and becomes the sort of Man without a Country styled US Agent after hearing about the Winter Soldier.

Cap, in an echo of his earlier retirement following the Secret Empire debacle, surrendered his Captain America identity and shield rather than risk compromising his integrity via potential government misdeeds. The CSA appointed John Walker as a replacement Captain America, with his sidekick Battlestar (Lemar Hoskins). Rogers formed a mobile crimefighting team with Falcon, Nomad and D-Man and assumed a new costumed identity as the Captain. He adopted a new Adamantium shield provided by Iron Man, but Iron Man’s vigilante crusade to incapacitate armor wearers using his technology set him against the government’s Mandroids and Guardsmen, soldiers defending the nation Rogers still cherished. The Captain returned the shield during an attempt to apprehend Iron Man, the first serious break in their years of friendship.

Or maybe this is him going on a covert mission that Cap shouldn't be noticeable from a distance on or something, like a Secret Avengers mission. Either way I am interested.

Posting is acting up and making it post all funny. Not sure what the problem is here.

#17 Posted by MrMazz (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

Clearly this is jsut an artistic sign of hinting at Buck's return. The metal corroding and revealing his american colors underneath. Besides dosen't that circle bit look like the shoulder for his metal arm?

#18 Edited by deadpool25mm (579 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmazz said:

Clearly this is jsut an artistic sign of hinting at Buck's return. The metal corroding and revealing his american colors underneath. Besides dosen't that circle bit look like the shoulder for his metal arm?

This, I was reading all the comics to see if someone got it....
And its not metal corroding its sliver color, you can see there are 2 types of gray there. one metal and one silver paint on top of the red.

#19 Posted by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool25mm said:

@mrmazz said:

Clearly this is jsut an artistic sign of hinting at Buck's return. The metal corroding and revealing his american colors underneath. Besides dosen't that circle bit look like the shoulder for his metal arm?

This, I was reading all the comics to see if someone got it....

And its not metal corroding its sliver color, you can see there are 2 types of gray there. one metal and one silver paint on top of the red.

This. Fantastic deduction my good sir!

#20 Posted by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda sucks they didn't crop it like 10 further so I could use it as my wallpaper.

I hope Cap dies it would be unexpected and cool. Plus Chri Evans doesn't want to be cap anymore.

#21 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

Kinda sucks they didn't crop it like 10 further so I could use it as my wallpaper.

I hope Cap dies it would be unexpected and cool. Plus Chri Evans doesn't want to be cap anymore.

Aww man, where did you read that? I mean, i knew Joss Wheddon came to him for the role, but who doesnt want to be Captain America?...especially if you can pull it off.

#22 Posted by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@muyjingo said:

I know the metal can't corrode, that's why I said it doesn't make sense. Yet the red is clearly underneath the metal

Think about the main opposition of the movie: The Winter Soldier, Bucky Barnes, who was subjected to brainwashing and reprogramming, all remnants of the man who was Captain America's best friend buried beneath a cold assassin with a steel arm.

Presumably, this movie will be about Cap will slowly getting through to him, trying to break his programming, the cracks in the Winter Soldier persona showing and Bucky beginning to come back. Can you see why the bold red of Cap being beneath the steel might be intentional?

It's incredibly more likely that they gave the designer a picture of Cap's shield and he used the standard method to make it look like the paint is chipping.

#23 Edited by irishyardball (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems to me the metal is definitely on top of the paint. Could symbolize Bucky later becoming Captain America, or that underneath his cybernetic arm (which the shield clearly seems to be segmented like the arm) Bucky is still who he was before and capable of being just like Cap.

At least that's my take on it.

#24 Posted by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured I should just post this there if anyone wants it. I photoshoped the full shield so you could use it as an avatar or wallpaper. I'm just using it as a wallpaper for myself.

#25 Posted by Cyclops4President (587 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo:

1- it looks like the paint is coming off, from the top, the metal looks fine.

2- I am excited bc Captain America has been my favorite Marvel movie so far, even moreso than The Avengers,so I am excited to see how this movie compares to that.

#26 Edited by khop18 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

First... Excited? Absolutely!

Second... Before I saw a single comment, I looked at the poster again, there's no "paint" on Cap's Shield, that's corrosion! WTFrak?!?!

...then I saw the comments... THANK YOU!!! I'm not nuts... just observant.

-Make Mine Marvel! =)

#27 Posted by Praetor_fenix (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Batroc The Leaper? Played By UFC superstar Georges St-pierre? Awesome!

#28 Posted by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@teerack said:

Kinda sucks they didn't crop it like 10 further so I could use it as my wallpaper.

I hope Cap dies it would be unexpected and cool. Plus Chri Evans doesn't want to be cap anymore.

Aww man, where did you read that? I mean, i knew Joss Wheddon came to him for the role, but who doesnt want to be Captain America?...especially if you can pull it off.

He doesn't want to be Cap because the workout routine for it is really intense. It was from an interview with him like a year ago... can't find it now... he must have a good publicist :P

#29 Edited by LaserLambert (635 posts) - - Show Bio

cool... the first film barely had an american flag in it, now there won't be one on Cap either.

#30 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: I think I heard that somewhere before actually. It has to be a grueling regime. Especially when you look at how Chris is a naturally lean person, so keeping the weight up must comprise of a lot of tasteless protein & vegetable-heavy meals. So, yeah, I see that. But, it still kinda sucks…I just hope he holds strong through Cap 3 and Avengers 3. Recasting Capo would be really awkward at this point.

#31 Posted by wundagoreborn (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Does the poster boost my excitement? No. My excitement was already as high as it goes. I am SO looking forward to this movie.

#32 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

cool... the first film barely had an american flag in it, now there won't be one on Cap either.

Why is that cool?

I for one hate the costume change, and I hope he goes back to his star-spangled outfit by the end of the film... recognizing as he did in the comics that being the symbol of what the United States should strive to be is why he still should wear it. He is a bookmark in time, a placeholder of an ideal, and an example for all Americans to be better human beings. That is what Cap is all about.

#33 Posted by MuyJingo (1572 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo:

1- it looks like the paint is coming off, from the top, the metal looks fine.

I think you forgot to wear your glasses.

#34 Edited by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@teerack: I think I heard that somewhere before actually. It has to be a grueling regime. Especially when you look at how Chris is a naturally lean person, so keeping the weight up must comprise of a lot of tasteless protein & vegetable-heavy meals. So, yeah, I see that. But, it still kinda sucks…I just hope he holds strong through Cap 3 and Avengers 3. Recasting Capo would be really awkward at this point.

That's why I think this poster is hinting at The Death of Captain America being worked into it, so Bucky could take over.

#35 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: This could be the case. But, IMO, the shield is representing a certain Soviet mercenary that tears at everything Capo believes in and holds dear. I think this will be more of a story about Rodgers losing heart and his belief in the USA. However, this is all just conjecture at this point. Whatever happens, this is a movie I am really looking forward to.

#36 Posted by Teerack (5414 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerdork said:

@teerack: This could be the case. But, IMO, the shield is representing a certain Soviet mercenary that tears at everything Capo believes in and holds dear. I think this will be more of a story about Rodgers losing heart and his belief in the USA. However, this is all just conjecture at this point. Whatever happens, this is a movie I am really looking forward to.

if it was soviet it would make a lot more sense to remove the blue and leave the red.

#37 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Maybe…like I said, it’s just conjecture. But, the red showing from under the metal implies more of a growing corruption, rather than absolute demise. Much like the pain of Bucky’s (supposed) death still weighing heavily on Cap’s heart, the guilt just eating away under his skin. If the red was coming from the outside, that would be a different symbolism; but, the way it is shown in the picture indicates (again, IMO) a war with one’s self. If Cap dies, it will be in the 3rd movie, I think.

#38 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Ermahgerd, can't wait for more news on this movie! Seriously, can we get at least one shot of Crossbones in full costume?

#39 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:

@cyclops4president said:

@muyjingo:

1- it looks like the paint is coming off, from the top, the metal looks fine.

I think you forgot to wear your glasses.

No he's right. The red underneath is Caps regular shield. That's silver paint on top of it. Obviously its a symbol for the Winter Soldier, and the patriotic character we once knew fighting from underneath.

#40 Edited by wade_wilson22 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of these pics are simply amazing!

Comic Movie News Here

For more news on Comic Book movies Check: Comic movie news

#41 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's better than IM3

Oh it will be. It better be.

#42 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3105 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, could be better. Still excited for this movie though. Only thing that bothers me is the suit, but I had that same problem with Iron Man 3 but started to like the mk42 after awhile. Still hated Iron Man 3 though. Any way this poster doesn't get my hype up, I know they can do a better job at doing a teaser poster. Just look at the first movie's teaser poster

#43 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

cool poster.

#44 Edited by Crimsonlord53 (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope need to see the trailer before I hop on the bandwagon.

Online
#45 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

This shield looks fantastic and I find it much better than the normal one. I'm not interested in the movie though. Well, except for seeing this shield in action.

#46 Edited by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe bucks upper arm

#47 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

This is gonna be great!

#48 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42 said:

They should have put blood on it. Dripping over the star in the middle.

it's PG-13

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.